Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• I feel sorry for Bradford, Harry Lewis is a pretty decent keeper and one of their better players. To lose a keeper like that for Sam Walker as a replacement is pretty shoddy. Bradford criminally underachieving at present and can't imagine their fans being too happy about that.

Good signing for Carlisle genuinely, solid bet for promotion next year if they do go down, seem to have to found a bunch of owners that fancy a go at it. However long that lasts who knows 
  • WHAddick said:
    Not reading between the lines on Lutons managers recent comment, Sam
    More like he's one that we might have a break clause in the contract on, and if Appleton has decided he doesn't rate him and brought in Bakinson and Fiorini, and at some stage you imagine could also have Dobson, Taylor, McGrandles, Camara and possibly another CM signing competing for a squad place, I can see Watson being recalled and sent somewhere else, regardless of whether the Luton boss thinks it's good for him or not 
  • sam3110 said:
    I hope it's us that's signing him and basically said look either way you're playing in League 1 next year, you either do it in London on a higher wage, or in Sheffield on a lower wage, your choice
    Always usual to mention indoor plumbing in negotiations as well in such circumstances...😉
  • Sponsored links:

• I wonder which Championship clubs are also sniffing around ?
  • You would assume he has agreed a contract elsewhere before completely turning away from Wednesday 
  • PWADDICK said:
    You would assume he has agreed a contract elsewhere before completely turning away from Wednesday 
    Perhaps it was Wednesday that couldn’t increase their package and pulled out ?
  • You’ve got to try to hold on to Watson if you cash in on Dobbo.

• Seems a strange U turn by Cawley, so quickly after his initial message. He obvioulsy knows something and has been made aware by someone ITK 
  • It’s not out the realms of possibility he fancies it with us over a championship club up north.  He’s had many loans across the country but if he’s to settle with a new club on a long term contract he may want to stay local, as ever there are always many deciding factors as well as the money.  
  • Just seen that Weds have massively picked up (apt choice of words). Everyone presuming it’s a forgone conclusion they will be in league one are a way off - they are only 3 points outside of getting out and in better form now.

• edited January 11
    DubaiCAFC said:
    fenaddick said:

Surely not, not a deal that is close then doesn’t go through… surely Sheffield Wednesday have planned that… Surely not a player has changed his mind!!

I get your point and agree with you so this is not a dig, but not sure this particular example works when you use the shockingly badly run Sheff Weds as a benchmark. They even employed Katrien Meire!! 😂
  • Sponsored links:

• IF Coventry joins us I wonder whether it would be his previous links to Appleton which helped secure the deal. He managed him at Lincoln.
  • barstool said:
    Seems a strange U turn by Cawley, so quickly after his initial message. He obvioulsy knows something and has been made aware by someone ITK 
    Or someone contacted him after his initial tweet
  • So as of Saturday we have two loan players in . Neither fit enough to start the game and one who may not even be on the bench.
    I
  • Listening to today's Guardian Football weekly and one of the panel has been studying transfers and if they're "successful". With success being playing more than 50% of the teams minutes. Apparently over half of all transfers would be considered "unsuccessful". Obviously it's simplistic but it's worth bearing in mind when assessing recruitment.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    If Dobson leaves then it’s all Bromley Addicks fault.

Simple as that.

Same goes for CBT too.
    Na... they will just blame the owners!!
    As they should
    If we were top 6, winning games, with a real chance of promotion and the club made them a good offer, they'd sign.

I wouldn't re-sign for us based on the current footballing prospects at CAFC

They must be crazy though- what with Appleton being the best coach in the world and all that...
    Club is a mess.. It is no quick fix! this years of damage.. And if you are not going to allow time, it will never be fixed! 

Super hero Varney isn't coming to the rescue.. suck it up, and support! We have little option..
    "Suck it up"

Wow, you really just told other fans who aren't happy to "suck it up"

Unbelievable.
    What other options do we have? 

Suck it up and try to support the club, and see what happens or don't go and spend your hard earned cash. 

Think last night they delivered a message, they know they haven't got it right, they have made mistake, they know it isn't an easy fix, they are trying to correct the wrongs, they have owners who are willing to invest money in the playing side, and non-playing side. 

I am frustrated as much as anyone how poor this season has been, how we have left ourselves short, how things don't seem to be going to plan this window.. But need to give them a chance, personally,

I don't we will see the really benefits for another 18months - 2 years in my opinion, it is a project!

The problem with that is, and reading between the lines, I don’t think our backers have been led to believe it will take that long, or, be willing to kick up the funds to do so.  

I think it’s pretty clear Methven etc have sold this on the basis that we can implement cost control measures and optimize spend to get losses to a reasonable amount, but at the same time achieve success.  

I agree with your point about years of mismanagement and the potential time it would take to put it right, but, there’s nothing about this set up that screams long term commitment/investment.  Granted that could be the same even if we had someone come in spend millions and say we’re in it for the long term, but we have seen from experience how quickly things can go downhill based on how TS exited 

You’ve also got to factor in they’ve set themselves back a season based on how much a fudge they made of appointing Holden, the summer window, sacking him, and in all likelihood, may have to get rid of Appleton if results continue.  This 2 years could easily become 3 or 4