Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Michael Mellon just been recalled 
  • jondon76 said:
    Would rather have a younger hungry striker than one that's just after a last big pay day tbh.
    Why though? We need a proven striker to get us out of this division, not one who is a project and might not hit his potential for 2-3 seasons. 

There's also the issue that any half decent younger striker is going to cost us a lot more than JCH will. Look at Nombe. 1 good season with Exeter and he went to the championship for about 1m.
    We need both the experienced and committed strikers AND the up and coming strikers. And midfielders and defenders and goalkeepers.

That way the young players have time to develop and improved without too much responsibility on their shoulders early on.

They also have experienced mentors as role models and the team has leadership all over the pitch. 

We have failed to get that balance right for a number of seasons hence while we're still in league 1.
    We already have 2 of them, we don't need a third at this stage. We need a proven striker for now.
    If anything we have 4 of them, in Kanu, Leaburn and now Casey and Mbick getting exposure, although they should be in the unders for another year or two at least, they could do with more experience around them in training when they have sessions with the first team 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Michael Mellon just been recalled 
    Are we interested? Assume it would be a loan.
  • Addick_8 said:
    Always liked JCH and wanted him back when we was in the Championship. Still think he has a lot to offer even at his age but really don’t think we should be held to ransom by him/his agent. 

I’d move on by the end of this week. It’s slightly more of a risk, but I’d love for us go for Macauley Longstaff at Notts County who I think could cut it in League 1.
    This. Especially Longstaff. Mentioned him last season & surprised no one went for him in the summer. 
    I mentioned him to my son a while back, he reckoned they wanted at least 2 million for him , (ie out of our range).
  • Blucher said:
    JCH and his agent are understandably trying to squeeze us and utilise our attractive offer as leverage should another club come in for him.

I think we really do need to impose something like a 7 day deadline and, if necessary, withdraw the offers to Peterborough and the player and move on to an alternative target. 

We definitely need to get a striker in but part of me would be very happy to see JCH run down his contract, leaving Peterborough and the mouthy MacAnthony without any fee whatsoever. The guy is such an arse.
    I agree about moving on to an alternative target, but no need to withdraw any offers until the last minute. Sign the alternative by all means, but only then withdraw the offer for JCH. Otherwise you might fail to sign either.
  • DubaiCAFC said:

Interesting one but I am assuming as he's a Burnley youngster he'll go to Fleetwood under ex Burnley loans manager Charlie Adam. Another player that's scored well in a struggling L2 side too. 
  • Nothing I know, just u think he would be good
  • Mellon,more like he is being sent to Dundee 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Interesting one but I am assuming as he's a Burnley youngster he'll go to Fleetwood under ex Burnley loans manager Charlie Adam. Another player that's scored well in a struggling L2 side too. 
    Championship loan I would imagine
  • Blucher said:
    Blucher said:
    JCH and his agent are understandably trying to squeeze us and utilise our attractive offer as leverage should another club come in for him.

I think we really do need to impose something like a 7 day deadline and, if necessary, withdraw the offers to Peterborough and the player and move on to an alternative target. 

We definitely need to get a striker in but part of me would be very happy to see JCH run down his contract, leaving Peterborough and the mouthy MacAnthony without any fee whatsoever. The guy is such an arse.
    Definitely pursue other targets and if they fit our criteria then sign them but why withdraw the offer to JCH until that other player is signed. We can withdraw it at any point. I’m not sure what withdrawing it achieves. 
    My thought was that giving JCH and his agent a deadline may prompt them into action in the absence of any better offers, rather than waiting until deadline day to see if a better offer comes along. Time is of the essence for us, if not for the player.

it also opens the door to offering Peterborough a reduced fee if all else fails. MacAnthony continually trumpets that they don’t need to sell and are under no financial pressure but I think the gentleman protests too loudly (and often). They are also very anxious to flog their England Under 20 centre-half.
    No point giving a deadline IMHO, you're just limiting yourself and possibly closing a door for no reason.  There is already the 1 Feb deadline.

Carry on negotiating with JCH's agent and at the same time see if Humphreys or whoever can be signed.   If the other striker deal is done then you can say to JCH's agent "sorry, couldn't wait for you to bring your demands down, see you in the summer".   

If we can't get another striker then the door is still open to get JCH.  

I see where you’re coming from but, should the player and his agent have a change of mind, they only have to pick up the phone and, depending upon where we are at that stage, there’s nothing to stop us reinstating our offer to him.

I wouldn’t be surprised if JCH let’s his contract run down, although the big risk for any player is a significant injury between now and then.
  • Sponsored links:

• DubaiCAFC said:
    Cue 17 pages of melon puns
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Hope not, this is a serious thread. I will lose my rind if things descend into that. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Hope not, this is a serious thread. I will lose my rind if things descend into that. 
    I heard he's a diva
  • Offer Peterborough £250k for JCH and use the saving to enhance our offer to him.
    Or they can see him walk away for nothing in the summer.

• DubaiCAFC said:
    Is it? Oh dear. Schoolboy error by the 🗡️🐟  🙄
  • Sponsored links:

• How about abit of underhand tactic's with Peterborough to unsettle them before the game. Make an 'offer" for Poku ( through the media) to see if it interests him or rattles Peterborough. If their interested , well he seems to be an up and coming player anyway
  • If we sign Micheal let's hope he's not cantalouping around like Kirk did
  • JCH deal as good as dead according to the other forum. I hope we make a move for Humphrys, I feel he would be better fit for us.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Much I like a pun… please start a Big Melon thread. There’s nothing more annoying than seeing that there are dozens of new posts on this thread, to find they’re all about honey being due or something. 
    no need to make a big gala out of it
  • JCH deal as good as dead according to the other forum. I hope we make a move for Humphrys, I feel he would be better fit for us.
    Disappointing I hoped we would have secured at least 1 perm by now. 
  • Deadline day scramble to sign a striker and we announce free agent (after he didn’t get his contract renewed) Lyle Taylor just before the deadline 🤮