Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• edited January 10
    jondon76 said:
    Would rather have a younger hungry striker than one that's just after a last big pay day tbh.
    We have young and hungry in leaburn and Kanu. We need an experienced l1 quality striker who will raise the profile of the club.

seeing players like JCH at the training ground may help convince our out of contract players and other transfer targets to sign.

Difference is Leaburn injury prone and Kanu isn't ready.
  • jondon76 said:
    jondon76 said:
    Would rather have a younger hungry striker than one that's just after a last big pay day tbh.
    We have young and hungry in leaburn and Kanu. We need an experienced l1 quality striker who will raise the profile of the club.

seeing players like JCH at the training ground may help convince our out of contract players and other transfer targets to sign.

Young players are more risky. JCH has a very good league 1 record. We need stability and to stop this downward slid
  • edited January 10
    redbuttle said:
    jondon76 said:
    jondon76 said:

What about Alfie May. He's older than JCH isn't he?
    Plus Lyle Taylor was less highly rated when we signed him and he was about the same age then. 
  • jondon76 said:
    Why though? We need a proven striker to get us out of this division, not one who is a project and might not hit his potential for 2-3 seasons. 

There's also the issue that any half decent younger striker is going to cost us a lot more than JCH will. Look at Nombe. 1 good season with Exeter and he went to the championship for about 1m.
  • JCH first let me say I never really wanted him in the first place, whenever I have seen him he just looks like a goal hanger and I am not sure,unlike Peterborough, we have the wherewithal in the other 10 to supply him while losing work rate, that said surely the time has come to say take our offer or we move on, there must be a younger, hungrier physical striker or a more experienced striker not getting much game time from the championship, the other big question is will apples ever play 2 up front as Alfie is wasted on the wing, just my take
  • Sponsored links:

• Grovenuts said:
    JCH first let me say I never really wanted him in the first place, whenever I have seen him he just looks like a goal hanger and I am not sure,unlike Peterborough, we have the wherewithal in the other 10 to supply him while losing work rate, that said surely the time has come to say take our offer or we move on, there must be a younger, hungrier physical striker or a more experienced striker not getting much game time from the championship, the other big question is will apples ever play 2 up front as Alfie is wasted on the wing, just my take
    Pretty successful one. 

More to JCH than that though, he wins his fair share of headers and holds up the ball very well. 
  • Surely we'll negotiate the fee if he decides to join us on transfer deadline day. There are four matches between now and then, that's approximately 20% of the remaining season. 
  • PopIcon said:
    Surely we'll negotiate the fee if he decides to join us on transfer deadline day. There are four matches between now and then, that's approximately 20% of the remaining season. 
    Yep - they will also be 24 hours from getting £0 for him.

However, if we lose those four games we will be firmly in relegation battle so they will have additional leverage.
  • MrBurns said:
    This squad is missing a darren pratley like character that can put his arm around the youngsters when it's not going well. I'm concerned about the lack of strikers but I'm more concerned how defensively weak we are. We're missing a true leader in the middle.
    Isn’t Bakinson that player? Certainly in terms of physicality?
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    JamesSeed said:
    MrBurns said:
    This squad is missing a darren pratley like character that can put his arm around the youngsters when it's not going well. I'm concerned about the lack of strikers but I'm more concerned how defensively weak we are. We're missing a true leader in the middle.
    Isn’t Bakinson that player? Certainly in terms of physicality?
    Bakinson has the physical appearance of someone like Vieira and that's something we are short of but I am not sure if he is the leader / motivator type that we need.

We need someone with Jason Pearce's energy.  A motivator, talker, shouter, lifter.  We need a few tbf
    We don't really have much of a leader on the pitch, certainly in the absence of May. For all Dobson's strengths he's not really that motivational type, he just tries to do it all himself instead. 

Hector and Jones both could maybe do the job but the defence as a whole seems a bit slipshod and uncertain so that rules them out.

Fraser is, well, Fraser. Not him then.

The rest are young kids or otherwise unsuitable. 

If Appleton had a Pearce or Jackson he would probably be doing better but with no real motivational types on the pitch or off it I would guess that a lot of our late goal woes are psychological as much as anything.
  • I know he's already been ruled out by Rich as being a target and he's not been a regular for Preston this season, but the BFG would have been a really good signing. 
  • I think it’s worth noting that I don’t think that we’re just in for one striker. Certainly our number one target will be someone like JCH or possibly Humphrey’s but I think we’ll also look to bring in someone else. Kanu has promise but needs a loan. Leaburn is out until next season and Aneke has his own special considerations. I’d guess it will be a loan but two strikers in is my guess.
  • Blucher said:
    JCH and his agent are understandably trying to squeeze us and utilise our attractive offer as leverage should another club come in for him.

I think we really do need to impose something like a 7 day deadline and, if necessary, withdraw the offers to Peterborough and the player and move on to an alternative target. 

We definitely need to get a striker in but part of me would be very happy to see JCH run down his contract, leaving Peterborough and the mouthy MacAnthony without any fee whatsoever. The guy is such an arse.
    Definitely pursue other targets and if they fit our criteria then sign them but why withdraw the offer to JCH until that other player is signed. We can withdraw it at any point. I’m not sure what withdrawing it achieves. 
  • I still reckon £500K easily gets you Stephen Humphrys, with money to spare.  He is younger, more mobile and able to score. 

You would have cash left over as I think Wigan are still under some kind of embargo and would probably not mind moving his salary on and getting some small monies before his contract expires.

Maybe it would be possible to pick up Max Dean from MKDons as well but suspect they will hold onto him until the summer.

To be clear though, I would be very happy with JCH if he is attainable.
    Wigan aren’t under embargo. No EFL clubs currently are. That said, Humphrys is out of contract in June and would definitely be a great addition to the first eleven. Not sure Wigan have any financial issues now with their new owner in place and they don’t have Peterborough’s MO of freezing out their players running down their contracts. 
  • Addick_8 said:
    Always liked JCH and wanted him back when we was in the Championship. Still think he has a lot to offer even at his age but really don’t think we should be held to ransom by him/his agent. 

I’d move on by the end of this week. It’s slightly more of a risk, but I’d love for us go for Macauley Longstaff at Notts County who I think could cut it in League 1.
    This. Especially Longstaff. Mentioned him last season & surprised no one went for him in the summer. 
  • jondon76 said:
    Why though? We need a proven striker to get us out of this division, not one who is a project and might not hit his potential for 2-3 seasons. 

There's also the issue that any half decent younger striker is going to cost us a lot more than JCH will. Look at Nombe. 1 good season with Exeter and he went to the championship for about 1m.
    We need both the experienced and committed strikers AND the up and coming strikers. And midfielders and defenders and goalkeepers.

That way the young players have time to develop and improved without too much responsibility on their shoulders early on.

They also have experienced mentors as role models and the team has leadership all over the pitch. 

We have failed to get that balance right for a number of seasons hence while we're still in league 1.
    We already have 2 of them, we don't need a third at this stage. We need a proven striker for now.
  • TelMc32 said:
    I still reckon £500K easily gets you Stephen Humphrys, with money to spare.  He is younger, more mobile and able to score. 

You would have cash left over as I think Wigan are still under some kind of embargo and would probably not mind moving his salary on and getting some small monies before his contract expires.

Maybe it would be possible to pick up Max Dean from MKDons as well but suspect they will hold onto him until the summer.

To be clear though, I would be very happy with JCH if he is attainable.
    Wigan aren’t under embargo. No EFL clubs currently are. That said, Humphrys is out of contract in June and would definitely be a great addition to the first eleven. Not sure Wigan have any financial issues now with their new owner in place and they don’t have Peterborough’s MO of freezing out their players running down their contracts. 
    They also just had a sold out live tv game v Man utd so they will have earned well from that.
  • Blucher said:
    JCH and his agent are understandably trying to squeeze us and utilise our attractive offer as leverage should another club come in for him.

I think we really do need to impose something like a 7 day deadline and, if necessary, withdraw the offers to Peterborough and the player and move on to an alternative target. 

We definitely need to get a striker in but part of me would be very happy to see JCH run down his contract, leaving Peterborough and the mouthy MacAnthony without any fee whatsoever. The guy is such an arse.
    Definitely pursue other targets and if they fit our criteria then sign them but why withdraw the offer to JCH until that other player is signed. We can withdraw it at any point. I’m not sure what withdrawing it achieves. 
    My thought was that giving JCH and his agent a deadline may prompt them into action in the absence of any better offers, rather than waiting until deadline day to see if a better offer comes along. Time is of the essence for us, if not for the player.

it also opens the door to offering Peterborough a reduced fee if all else fails. MacAnthony continually trumpets that they don’t need to sell and are under no financial pressure but I think the gentleman protests too loudly (and often). They are also very anxious to flog their England Under 20 centre-half.