Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Swisdom said:
    You don't have to believe this if you don't want to

CAFC have made numerous offers for players.  CAFC have identified the weaknesses in the squad and are working to resolve
    One of the offers is over £500k but the guy is likely going up AT LEAST one division so we are no longer in with a shout but a once highly rated team mate of his might be in scope.
    One of them has been made a very good offer.  His club are ok with it but the agent has got in his ear.  (Personally I'm not fussed about that - could easily be Marcus Maddison MkII)
    Another has something we are desperately short of and is widely regarded in the game for his leadership qualities.
    Another is a name that has been mentioned in the past but not so much in the last 6-12 months.  Again not someone I am overly fussed about but some people would love him.
    Another is someone I have been very keen on or some time, soon to be out of contract and is on a shortlist.

I am not going to confirm any names here but what I am saying is there are plans in place, the right sorts of players being identified and we are not scraping the barrel as we have in the past.

It looks as if Appleton is going to be given a chance to stamp his authority on the squad so I suggest we get behind him, and the team.  And we need to overlook the fact Appleton is no good at interviews and the media side of things - that's just his demeanour and if he can get the best from the players then I'll ignore the cringeworthy interviews

I've been told by someone in the game what a brilliant coach he is.  Not just that he was good - but he is the best he's worked for.  I guess we need to trust the process and give him the opportunity to do his thing.
    Fiorini was desperate to come and play for him again so he must have done something right

In the immortal words of Russel Slade and Gary Barlow.......Patience! :-)

Things will be a lot clearer at the end of the month.
  • edited January 9
    Over £500k but likely going up a division? Wasn't 500k the release clause for Conor O'Riordan the Crewe CB who's seemingly off to Blackburn?

Highly rated ex team mates , Owen Dale (Unlikely), Tom Lowery (Unlikely) , Ryan Wintle (No chance)

• Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    One of the offers is over £500k but the guy is likely going up AT LEAST one division so we are no longer in with a shout - CONOR COVENTRY

but a once highly rated team mate of his might be in scope. - ???

One of them has been made a very good offer. - JCH

Another has something we are desperately short of and is widely regarded in the game for his leadership qualities. - MACAULEY GILLESPHEY?

Another is a name that has been mentioned in the past but not so much in the last 6-12 months. - MALLIK WILKS?

Another is someone I have been very keen on or some time, soon to be out of contract and is on a shortlist. - LEWIS BATE?
    1/6

'Another has something we are desperately short of and is widely regarded in the game for his leadership qualities.'

Carl Piergianni it is then, goody gum drops. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Swisdom said:

CAFC have made numerous offers for players.  CAFC have identified the weaknesses in the squad and are working to resolve
    One of the offers is over £500k but the guy is likely going up AT LEAST one division so we are no longer in with a shout but a once highly rated team mate of his might be in scope.
    One of them has been made a very good offer.  His club are ok with it but the agent has got in his ear.  (Personally I'm not fussed about that - could easily be Marcus Maddison MkII)
    Another has something we are desperately short of and is widely regarded in the game for his leadership qualities.
    Another is a name that has been mentioned in the past but not so much in the last 6-12 months.  Again not someone I am overly fussed about but some people would love him.
    Another is someone I have been very keen on or some time, soon to be out of contract and is on a shortlist.

I am not going to confirm any names here but what I am saying is there are plans in place, the right sorts of players being identified and we are not scraping the barrel as we have in the past.

It looks as if Appleton is going to be given a chance to stamp his authority on the squad so I suggest we get behind him, and the team.  And we need to overlook the fact Appleton is no good at interviews and the media side of things - that's just his demeanour and if he can get the best from the players then I'll ignore the cringeworthy interviews

I've been told by someone in the game what a brilliant coach he is.  Not just that he was good - but he is the best he's worked for.  I guess we need to trust the process and give him the opportunity to do his thing.
    Fiorini was desperate to come and play for him again so he must have done something right

100% mate.. thank you for sharing! maybe some other fans might start believing they have good intentions. They know they didn’t get things right in the summer and want to put it right. 
    I don’t think there is much doubt they have good intentions. I’m sure they intend to take us to the premier league. Sandgaard and even Roland had good intentions. 

The debate is whether they are competent enough, and at the moment it doesn’t look great but it’s still early days 
  • Appleton being a great coach doesn’t mean much. Like Ben Garner, he’s held backroom roles at higher levels than this, so is clearly a good coach even if at the moment a lot of our players appear to be regressing. 

I’d rather have a good manager though than the best coach. Plenty of the best coaches in the world have failed when given the top job 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Melrose said:
    Swisdom said:

Wisdom. I believe a lot of what you are saying. The bit I'm doubtful about is Appleton. One person saying he is a brilliant coach....is one person! He has not shown anything to support that for Me. In fact the total opposite imo. He doesn't look like he's got an f'ing clue. I wouldn't give him any more time or give him license to identify possible new players. It's a shame cos I would have liked him to be a success 
    I'm actually good friends with one of his backroom staff from when he was at Blackpool who said he is the best coach he's worked with too. That he is obsessed with the game and spends hours on hours watching, analysing and learning. 
    This was a very good post until the last word 😂
    "That he is obsessed with the game and spends hours on hours watching, analysing and learning."

Think most coaches would disagree.  The best coaches say they NEVER stop learning.  If any coach ever thinks they know it all then they're doomed to failure.  There is always something new to learn.
  • NabySarr said:
    Appleton being a great coach doesn’t mean much. Like Ben Garner, he’s held backroom roles at higher levels than this, so is clearly a good coach even if at the moment a lot of our players appear to be regressing. 

I’d rather have a good manager though than the best coach. Plenty of the best coaches in the world have failed when given the top job 
    Sir Lesworth of Reedshire...(as Alan Partridge would say)
  • NabySarr said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Over £500k but likely going up a division? Wasn't 500k the release clause for Conor O'Riordan the Crewe CB who's seemingly off to Blackburn?

Highly rated ex team mates , Owen Dale (Unlikely), Tom Lowery (Unlikely) , Ryan Wintle (No chance)

Charlie Kirk is available 

Hahahaha! I knew that was coming ;) , set myself up for that one. But I was purely going off it being someone that's going L2 > Championship most likely. 
  • One of the offers is over £500k but the guy is likely going up AT LEAST one division so we are no longer in with a shout - CONOR COVENTRY

but a once highly rated team mate of his might be in scope. - ???

One of them has been made a very good offer. - JCH

Another has something we are desperately short of and is widely regarded in the game for his leadership qualities. - MACAULEY GILLESPHEY?

Another is a name that has been mentioned in the past but not so much in the last 6-12 months. - MALLIK WILKS?

Another is someone I have been very keen on or some time, soon to be out of contract and is on a shortlist. - LEWIS BATE?
    I'm hoping the last name is Joe Powell at Burton. Has impressed me whenever I've seen him.
  • Sponsored links:

• CafcWest said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Melrose said:
    Swisdom said:

Wisdom. I believe a lot of what you are saying. The bit I'm doubtful about is Appleton. One person saying he is a brilliant coach....is one person! He has not shown anything to support that for Me. In fact the total opposite imo. He doesn't look like he's got an f'ing clue. I wouldn't give him any more time or give him license to identify possible new players. It's a shame cos I would have liked him to be a success 
    I'm actually good friends with one of his backroom staff from when he was at Blackpool who said he is the best coach he's worked with too. That he is obsessed with the game and spends hours on hours watching, analysing and learning. 
    This was a very good post until the last word 😂
    "That he is obsessed with the game and spends hours on hours watching, analysing and learning."

Think most coaches would disagree.  The best coaches say they NEVER stop learning.  If any coach ever thinks they know it all then they're doomed to failure.  There is always something new to learn.
    I was having a dig at all the late goals we concede 
  • he isn't up to it (in my opinion, of course)
  • I take great pleasure in reading @Swisdom post above. He’s obviously far more in the know than I am but it does reinforce what I was told and posted a week or so ago. The recruitment is now to be of a higher standard and will build this window and the summer and probably next January into a squad of real quality. One that can both gain promotion and be the basis of further rebuilding in The Championship. Even before I learned that I always thought that the squad would take three windows to construct, this January being the first. I of course understand the cynicism but I think we might just have turned a corner as a club. Frustratingly the rebuild we need won’t be easy or that quick. I’m now more hopeful than not that SE7 could be what we all hope for. As always time will tell.
    I hope you're right. I keep clinging on to Ipswich taking a couple of windows to get it right. 
  • Thanks for the post @Swisdom really timely.
  • Mind numbing stuff from some who are saying, 'move on from JCH' already. With absolutely no clue what stage the negotiations are or what is happening in the deal. Just assumed, cos some teenager has suggested the deal is off on another forum?

Note: I have no clue either  :D 
    The deal not off .. but there does seem to be some feet dragging from his  agent and possibly Peterbro who would rather he signed in Monday after the game