Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• arny23394 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Be nice if we can get Stephen Humphreys in from Wigan as well - If he's linked.
    How many strikers do we need?! 
    None, we already have Kanu, May, Leaburn & Aneke That should be enough
    Kanu isn’t quite ready and the other 3 are injured. I swear we have some of the dimmest fans about.
    I think Charltonbob was joking.......
  • edited January 9
    Any players agent who does not "play games" and look to secure the best deal for their client should be fired. 

Don't complain about someone else doing their job, all our decision makers are apparently football people so should know the reality of attempting to sign a top quality player at our level. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Was going to mention Maja as an option striker wise as he hadn't been around the West Brom side. 

Out for 4 months 😅
    Our sort of player 😁
  • Melrose said:
    How about Michael Smith. Out of favour at Wed. Wouldnt cost too much. Stop gap measure I know but we've got to make SURE we don't go down. Like others, I'd rather see more investment in defence and midfield. If JCH (agent) is being greedy, then F em! Don't think a Billy big bollox (if rumours are true) would do much for morale either.
    A good call. We don't need a "cheat code" No 9, we need an experienced target man to handle the physical stuff, give us an aerial presence (at both ends of the pitch) and hold the ball up, while chipping in with a few goals. The likes of Kanu would love playing off him too.

I'd have been happy with Matt Smith a couple of years ago (the former Millwall one). He dropped down from Millwall to L2 Salford, but could easily have done a job for us. 
  • Some guesses based on @Swisdom’s appreciated insight

Mallik Wilks =

Another is a name that has been mentioned in the past but not so much in the last 6-12 months.

Humphrys = 

Another is someone I have been very keen on or some time, soon to be out of contract and is on a shortlist.

Would be very happy with either of the above or Ladapo. We definitely shouldn’t put all our eggs in one JCH basket. There’s other good options out there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can we stop with the "Terry Taylor new signing" thing?

Proper boring. 
    Mansfield and McCrappy might have something to say about that 
  • If he's out of contract in the summer he's likely to be looking to move on.  Hopefully sooner rather than later.  Let's hope Hull sign a couple of central m idfielders
  • Swisdom said:
    You don't have to believe this if you don't want to

CAFC have made numerous offers for players.  CAFC have identified the weaknesses in the squad and are working to resolve
    One of the offers is over £500k but the guy is likely going up AT LEAST one division so we are no longer in with a shout but a once highly rated team mate of his might be in scope.
    One of them has been made a very good offer.  His club are ok with it but the agent has got in his ear.  (Personally I'm not fussed about that - could easily be Marcus Maddison MkII)
    Another has something we are desperately short of and is widely regarded in the game for his leadership qualities.
    Another is a name that has been mentioned in the past but not so much in the last 6-12 months.  Again not someone I am overly fussed about but some people would love him.
    Another is someone I have been very keen on or some time, soon to be out of contract and is on a shortlist.

I am not going to confirm any names here but what I am saying is there are plans in place, the right sorts of players being identified and we are not scraping the barrel as we have in the past.

It looks as if Appleton is going to be given a chance to stamp his authority on the squad so I suggest we get behind him, and the team.  And we need to overlook the fact Appleton is no good at interviews and the media side of things - that's just his demeanour and if he can get the best from the players then I'll ignore the cringeworthy interviews

I've been told by someone in the game what a brilliant coach he is.  Not just that he was good - but he is the best he's worked for.  I guess we need to trust the process and give him the opportunity to do his thing.
    Fiorini was desperate to come and play for him again so he must have done something right

In the immortal words of Russel Slade and Gary Barlow.......Patience! :-)

I hope your source is right. But if Appleton really is that good and we're still seeing results/performances like those of recent times it would suggest that the squad we have is considerably worse than even the lowest opinions on here, or there is something extremely badly wrong behind scenes.

Neither of which bode well.
  • edited January 9
    Yeah Hull not having a lot of CM cover with 2 players at AFCON might scupper things a bit. Hopefully it still happens though. 

Would not be too surprised to see a Malik Wilks link actually. Would be a good option to have wide. 

I really like the idea of adding some more leadership qualities to the side , I think that's something that is lacking , even if it's a bit of an older head to see games out. 
  • Sponsored links:

• J BLOCK said:
    Melrose said:
    Swisdom said:

CAFC have made numerous offers for players.  CAFC have identified the weaknesses in the squad and are working to resolve
    One of the offers is over £500k but the guy is likely going up AT LEAST one division so we are no longer in with a shout but a once highly rated team mate of his might be in scope.
    One of them has been made a very good offer.  His club are ok with it but the agent has got in his ear.  (Personally I'm not fussed about that - could easily be Marcus Maddison MkII)
    Another has something we are desperately short of and is widely regarded in the game for his leadership qualities.
    Another is a name that has been mentioned in the past but not so much in the last 6-12 months.  Again not someone I am overly fussed about but some people would love him.

I am not going to confirm any names here but what I am saying is there are plans in place, the right sorts of players being identified and we are not scraping the barrel as we have in the past.

It looks as if Appleton is going to be given a chance to stamp his authority on the squad so I suggest we get behind him, and the team.  And we need to overlook the fact Appleton is no good at interviews and the media side of things - that's just his demeanour and if he can get the best from the players then I'll ignore the cringeworthy interviews

I've been told by someone in the game what a brilliant coach he is.  Not just that he was good - but he is the best he's worked for.  I guess we need to trust the process and give him the opportunity to do his thing.
    Fiorini was desperate to come and play for him again so he must have done something right

Wisdom. I believe a lot of what you are saying. The bit I'm doubtful about is Appleton. One person saying he is a brilliant coach....is one person! He has not shown anything to support that for Me. In fact the total opposite imo. He doesn't look like he's got an f'ing clue. I wouldn't give him any more time or give him license to identify possible new players. It's a shame cos I would have liked him to be a success 
    I'm actually good friends with one of his backroom staff from when he was at Blackpool who said he is the best coach he's worked with too. That he is obsessed with the game and spends hours on hours watching, analysing and learning. 
    This was a very good post until the last word 😂
  • Mind numbing stuff from some who are saying, 'move on from JCH' already. With absolutely no clue what stage the negotiations are or what is happening in the deal. Just assumed, cos some teenager has suggested the deal is off on another forum?

Note: I have no clue either  :D 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Swisdom said:

Great news, and we all hope this all turns out as positive as it reads.

Only a couple of points from me

1. Why did Scott not implement these transfer policies last January and the part of the summer window he was in charge of?.

2. Do we know when the brilliant coach Appleton will start to turn our results around, as in the past few months the results have been dire.
    1. He was working for sandgaard last January with a completely different brief and goal. 

The summer part is a good question and my guess at the answer is either lack of time to change things or arrogance. 
  • fenaddick said:
    The risk for JCH is another 6 months of not being the main no9. Peterborough clearly want him gone and have planned for his depature
    But there holding out till after Saturday .. they don’t want him playing against them 
    Then why accept the offer?
  • Interesting. I'm not sure I've seen much in terms of his brilliant coaching, thus far. I include set pieces on that list. 
  • Appleton the best coach these people have worked with, but has only been successful at one club.

Either he's in the wrong job or his pals are just gassing him up to people who ask.
  • thenewbie said:
    Swisdom said:

I hope your source is right. But if Appleton really is that good and we're still seeing results/performances like those of recent times it would suggest that the squad we have is considerably worse than even the lowest opinions on here, or there is something extremely badly wrong behind scenes.

Neither of which bode well.
    I had the same reaction. I know we have several players injured but you would have thought a "brilliant" coach would have squeezed out a few more points over the past 8-9 games. I'm not convinced by him but time will tell if he is backed in the transfer market and gets the type of players he wants.
  • One of the offers is over £500k but the guy is likely going up AT LEAST one division so we are no longer in with a shout - CONOR COVENTRY

but a once highly rated team mate of his might be in scope. - ???

One of them has been made a very good offer. - JCH

Another has something we are desperately short of and is widely regarded in the game for his leadership qualities. - MACAULEY GILLESPHEY?

Another is a name that has been mentioned in the past but not so much in the last 6-12 months. - MALLIK WILKS?

Another is someone I have been very keen on or some time, soon to be out of contract and is on a shortlist. - LEWIS BATE?