Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• robroy said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Disagree - clubs do make some signings on fan pressure, and certainly happened during Sandgaard time as well. Pressure to spend money, and sometimes rushed in to a signing! 

And I didn't say SE7 will do that, I just said I hope they don't fall in to that trap... Will Grigg and Sunderland is a very good example, money to spend, need a striker but instead of waiting, the pressure of the fans and expectations of the window. 

But the issue is down to the club not having the right recruitment in place in the past.. And unless Scott pulls his finger out, he is in the same boat. 
    So Charlie boy is your contact? Not sure if you have confirmed in the past. 
    What contact!
  • Call me naive on how recruitment should work with currently contracted players…

I think the first step is to identify what style of player we are currently missing that fits the systems(s) the manager wants to play, or what cover weaknesses we have.

You then identify a list of targets for each of those.

You then work through what is feasible, likely and within budget. 

You then find out whether the players demands are likely to be alligned to what you’re willing to pay.

You then proceed and speak to the club.

in other words, you don’t dick around, waste time and effort chasing targets when it comes down to the crunch, aren’t prepared to sign for what you are willing to pay. 

If (and big if) we don’t get Clarke Harris due to wage demands, then we’ve completely and unnecessarily wasted the last fortnight. 

And you don't do all those things in the glare of publicity ( leaks an all)Go about the business quietly and announce the deal when done unless of courses you are conducting a deliberate nurgatory exercise to appease people. Fwiw the JCH won't happen in my view..and I am not sure if I want it to 
  • Call me naive on how recruitment should work with currently contracted players…

I think the first step is to identify what style of player we are currently missing that fits the systems(s) the manager wants to play, or what cover weaknesses we have.

You then find out whether the players demands are likely to be alligned to what you’re willing to pay.

in other words, you don’t dick around, waste time and effort chasing targets when it comes down to the crunch, aren’t prepared to sign for what you are willing to pay. 

If (and big if) we don’t get Clarke Harris due to wage demands, then we’ve completely and unnecessarily wasted the last fortnight. 
    I think that’s largely true but you can’t legislate for a player / agent who keeps moving what he’ll expect in terms of money. If rumours are to be believed it’s his agent that’s pushing for more than what might have been discussed. I’d guess that unless Clarke -Harris has decided his best option is to see out his contract then what we’re seeing is a stalling tactic to see if either they can squeeze more out of the deal or to see if they can attract other interest. We should actively pursue others and and sign them if that’s the way it pans out but leave the JCH offer on the table until we sign someone.
  • Think JCH is perfect non signing transfer for us the club will string us along with this transfer to deadline and then say we were close but just didn’t get it over the line. 
    We’re a week in and have got 2 loans no money spent on transfers because they don’t won’t to spend on transfer fees just freebies or loans. Different owner same old shit. 
  • I hope we've got active targets in the background that are maybe being kept quiet. I just don't see the JCH deal working out if his agent is playing games and is wanting unrealistic terms. I don't want to be left with another Tedic situation. Would be interesting if we went back for Kion Etete at Cardiff. 

Same with Coventry if he looks like going to Sheffield Wednesday, hopefully Docherty or Bate are advanced talks.... 

Not convinced we'll end up signing Gillesphey either but I like the idea yesterday of going after Jonathan Panzo , even if it would need some loan juggling to work out I would expect. 
  • Sponsored links:

• ValleyBen said:
    I can live with moving on to plan b, just hope plan b is not a young player on loan. 
    Its the Wigan striker .. Humphries 
  • se9addick said:
    Think JCH is perfect non signing transfer for us the club will string us along with this transfer to deadline and then say we were close but just didn’t get it over the line. 
    We’re a week in and have got 2 loans no money spent on transfers because they don’t won’t to spend on transfer fees just freebies or loans. Different owner same old shit. 
    Agreed, the whole thing reminds me of Southall. Agree a fee with a club for a player that we know won’t actually sign for us. Distracts the fans for a bit and when we end the window with just a few loanees you can say “ah well we tried, we thought we had a great permanent signing, but we just couldn’t get it over the line…”
    Then get relegated.
  • Of course fan pressure works! Why, only last week on here I called for them to sign someone, anyone, and sure enough those  two loan deals were agreed. If that isn't incontrovertible evidence, I don't know what is 😉
  • mendonca said:
    redbuttle said:
    mendonca said:
    I can see him rejecting us for a bigger salary on a free. In fact I'd put money on it. 
    Hope not.
    Same but isn't the most likely scenario:

-He rejects us wanting to explore his options in Summer.

-We then get an unknown or unfit loan forward in and state we showed intent but first choice didn't fancy coming here.

Let's see, but that's my feeling. 
    Still sticking to my prediction from days away, while a surprising number of posters were congratulating the 'Owners'.
  • Addick_8 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Does anyone believe this guff about decent players not being signed due to circumstances beyond the clubs's control despite the heroic efforts of Scott and the professional football people?

I am no expert in recruitment but I would imagine the primary objective is to recruit strong candidates not just leak information about how you tried to recruit them, offered big money, but in the end it was all too difficult and anyway we would probably be better off looking elsewhere.

Unfortunately there is no league table for clubs with the best press releases and information  management.

Deal isn't off as of yet.. But why should the club pay over the top? Pay him a stupid wage that might upset the rest of the squad? 

They are looking to spend money this January and in the summer.. But it isn't that easy to get deals over the line, and that's not only Charlton that is every club up and down the country! 
    You can get any deal done at anytime, you’ve just gotta come up with the money.  

I personally think it’ll be a travesty if we let this one go, we have the opportunity to start next season with the third tiers best two attacking players.  

Anything about JCH’s age and “attitude” is nonsense the geeza is a menace and just the sort of player we’ve been crying out for.  
    The money he wants is miles over the top.. Charlton are offering him a deal to be one of the highest if not the highest paid player.. Not about the money, it's about taking the piss!
    We always seem to hear this in transfer windows as if it’s a surprise. It’s been said about fees as well as wages.

It should be expected, JCH is probably in no rush as he can wait a few weeks and see if he gets an even better offer. I expect he’ll also be weighing up waiting until the summer vs the risk of picking up a serious injury.

He might not get what he’s asking for, but in his position why wouldn’t you ask for a huge wage and hope a club is desperate enough to pay it?
    All comes down to fan pressure right? I really hope Charlton don't fall in to that trap, of a desperate signing........., Made to may signings over the last few years, because of desperation and pressure.
    Sorry, but that is nonsense.

No fan pressure "made" Sandgaard or SE7 Partners make signings; they are supposed to be serious business people in control of budgets.

Of course fans clamour on forums and social media for more and bigger signings but that happens at every club, every window.

SE7 can't even use the excuse TS had of being a nieve yank new to football.

Rodwell, Lengahan, Methven and Scott have all been in football for years. 

They know how the transfer market works. Perhaps they just aren't very good at it.

I agree that they shouldn't just pay any price but please don't try to spin it as the fans' fault that they have overpaid for poor players in past.

Disagree - clubs do make some signings on fan pressure, and certainly happened during Sandgaard time as well. Pressure to spend money, and sometimes rushed in to a signing! 

And I didn't say SE7 will do that, I just said I hope they don't fall in to that trap... Will Grigg and Sunderland is a very good example, money to spend, need a striker but instead of waiting, the pressure of the fans and expectations of the window. 

But the issue is down to the club not having the right recruitment in place in the past.. And unless Scott pulls his finger out, he is in the same boat. 
    But you are blaming the fans for the owners giving into that pressure when all the power and decision making is in the hands of the club.  A minority, and it is a minority, of the fans moaning on forums is just noise or at least it should be.

It is a pathetic excuse.

The Will Grigg signing is a very good example.  There were no Sunderland fans in that room making Methven pay £5m for him, that was his decision. 
    Fans do put pressure on club owners, and it does lead them to make rash signings and sacking managers as well.... Also the same, when fans put owners to sell a club as well..

Fans do play a huge part in everything positive and negative way, that is a fact!
    But you're spinning it as it's the fans fault that poor old owners give into that pressure.

Every parent on here will know about pester pressure from their kids for sweets, toys or whatever but sometimes you have to say no because you can't afford them or they won't be good for them.

To be fair, the current owners have done very well in resisting the fan pressure to build a balanced, talented and fit squad capable of challenging at the top of this division!!!!! 
    Not blaming the fans.. I said fan pressure has an impact.. You are the one turning it around! Fan pressure has an impact at every single club on the decisions they make. 
    Bollox
    As Henry said
    The current owners have completely ignored our requests to date!
    How is it bollox, so you are telling me that club owners don't listen to fans and don't make decision because of fan pressure?
    So why did our owners/Scott still appoint Appleton when there was far more pressure to not appoint him and go for say, Bowyer, than what there is to sign JCH?
    It’s an interesting point. 

I guess why do we bother complaining at all? You’ll have to ask the Twitter mob that (I assume you’re not a part of that)

For the record I do think owners feel the pressure from fans.

But I do think it’s quite funny the people calling for bowyer to come back are the ones who likely wanted him sacked…

Did we want the owners to listen then, or now?

or not at all?
  • The biggest error SE7 partners have made was not signing a physical striker pre season when Leaburn got injured. The Nombe leaks were a farce to then end up with Tedic on deadline day. It derailed our season, because as usual the pieces we have don't fit into a functioning team.

That's why our performance and results are lower than the general standard of some of the players we have.

This JCH situation has echoes of the Nombe situation. But surely there's a striker out there aged in the mid twenties that is promising that we can attract. Or is JCH or another shitty loan? There's got to be decent 2nd or 3rd options out there.
    I hope we go for Stephen Humphrys, looks more mobile, better age and I think would play well with May. 

The risk with going balls out for JCH is that he could very easily be a player on the decline very soon and we are stuck with a striker in his 30's on massive wages and underperforming.

I know there is that risk with virtually every signing but lets not forget Peterborough are usually very good at selling their players at the right time, whether that be holding out for big numbers on up and coming prospects or selling off players as they begin to decline.

JCH a few years ago would have been a cracking signing and one you wouldn't mind breaking the bank for, but now I think he poses a fairly large risk to the club not to mention setting a precedent to other players that we can afford to pay silly wages where we chose to.
    I’d be very happy with Humphrys and then we’d probably have leftover from JCH wages to use elsewhere. 

Humphrys can also play out wide which means he can fit into the same system with Leaburn/Aneke if they are still here/fit which is another advantage 
  • Docherty, 27, is wanted by League One pair Charlton Athletic and Bristol Rovers according to The Sunday Mirror reporter Darren Witcoop on X.

However, in this latest update regarding his situation by HullLive, the Tigers are not ‘keen’ on letting him leave right now with Jean Michael Seri and Adama Traore away at AFCON with Ivory Coast and Mali respectively.

• Sponsored links:

• the unknown part of this equation was probably how much peterborough were going to want to sell so there are 3 parties involved in making this deal happen - if they suddenly dropped to £300k there would be an extra £200k sweetener for jch so its all a negotiation stance atm - personally, i think he'll go in the summer just like cbt and dobbo will decide in the summer  
  • The risk for JCH is another 6 months of not being the main no9. Peterborough clearly want him gone and have planned for his depature
  • edited January 9
    The biggest error SE7 partners have made was not signing a physical striker pre season when Leaburn got injured. The Nombe leaks were a farce to then end up with Tedic on deadline day. It derailed our season, because as usual the pieces we have don't fit into a functioning team.

That's why our performance and results are lower than the general standard of some of the players we have.

This JCH situation has echoes of the Nombe situation. But surely there's a striker out there aged in the mid twenties that is promising that we can attract. Or is JCH or another shitty loan? There's got to be decent 2nd or 3rd options out there.
    I hope we go for Stephen Humphrys, looks more mobile, better age and I think would play well with May. 

The risk with going balls out for JCH is that he could very easily be a player on the decline very soon and we are stuck with a striker in his 30's on massive wages and underperforming.

I know there is that risk with virtually every signing but lets not forget Peterborough are usually very good at selling their players at the right time, whether that be holding out for big numbers on up and coming prospects or selling off players as they begin to decline.

JCH a few years ago would have been a cracking signing and one you wouldn't mind breaking the bank for, but now I think he poses a fairly large risk to the club not to mention setting a precedent to other players that we can afford to pay silly wages where we chose to.
    Humphrys is an infinitely better investment than JCH but I would imagine he'd cost closer to 1m than 500k. Such an important player to Wigan and I don't see that happening
  • The biggest error SE7 partners have made was not signing a physical striker pre season when Leaburn got injured. The Nombe leaks were a farce to then end up with Tedic on deadline day. It derailed our season, because as usual the pieces we have don't fit into a functioning team.

Humphrys is an infinitely better investment than JCH but I would imagine he'd cost closer to 1m than 500k. Such an important player to Wigan and I don't see that happening
    didn't I read he was out of contract in June too although I may have that wrong.

didn't I read he was out of contract in June too although I may have that wrong.
    Humphrys contract does end in 2024 but I think Wigan may have a one year option.
  • DiscoCAFC said:
    DiscoCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Does anyone believe this guff about decent players not being signed due to circumstances beyond the clubs's control despite the heroic efforts of Scott and the professional football people?

I am no expert in recruitment but I would imagine the primary objective is to recruit strong candidates not just leak information about how you tried to recruit them, offered big money, but in the end it was all too difficult and anyway we would probably be better off looking elsewhere.

Unfortunately there is no league table for clubs with the best press releases and information  management.

Deal isn't off as of yet.. But why should the club pay over the top? Pay him a stupid wage that might upset the rest of the squad? 

They are looking to spend money this January and in the summer.. But it isn't that easy to get deals over the line, and that's not only Charlton that is every club up and down the country! 

I personally think it’ll be a travesty if we let this one go, we have the opportunity to start next season with the third tiers best two attacking players.  

Anything about JCH’s age and “attitude” is nonsense the geeza is a menace and just the sort of player we’ve been crying out for.  
    The money he wants is miles over the top.. Charlton are offering him a deal to be one of the highest if not the highest paid player.. Not about the money, it's about taking the piss!
    We always seem to hear this in transfer windows as if it’s a surprise. It’s been said about fees as well as wages.

It should be expected, JCH is probably in no rush as he can wait a few weeks and see if he gets an even better offer. I expect he’ll also be weighing up waiting until the summer vs the risk of picking up a serious injury.

He might not get what he’s asking for, but in his position why wouldn’t you ask for a huge wage and hope a club is desperate enough to pay it?
    All comes down to fan pressure right? I really hope Charlton don't fall in to that trap, of a desperate signing........., Made to may signings over the last few years, because of desperation and pressure.

No fan pressure "made" Sandgaard or SE7 Partners make signings; they are supposed to be serious business people in control of budgets.

Of course fans clamour on forums and social media for more and bigger signings but that happens at every club, every window.

They know how the transfer market works. Perhaps they just aren't very good at it.

I agree that they shouldn't just pay any price but please don't try to spin it as the fans' fault that they have overpaid for poor players in past.

But you are blaming the fans for the owners giving into that pressure when all the power and decision making is in the hands of the club.  A minority, and it is a minority, of the fans moaning on forums is just noise or at least it should be.

It is a pathetic excuse.

The Will Grigg signing is a very good example.  There were no Sunderland fans in that room making Methven pay £5m for him, that was his decision. 
    Have you not watched the Netflix documentary? It was the Sunderland owner at the time who forced that move. Not Charlie
    You are correct - it was Donald who paid way over the odds for Grigg - in the scene even his head of recruitment is telling him not to do it, but he goes ahead regardless - Grigg’s subsequent record at Sunderland was utterly woeful 
    I thought it was a decent signing at the time but didn’t work out in the end. They did pay way over the odds but I Donald was pressured into signing a Striker.
    Not quite. He and Charlie caused the pressure by deciding to sell Josh Maya to Bordeaux. So they needed a striker, badly. And if I recall, they only  got about  £1.5m for Maya - certainly a lot less than they paid for Grigg. Everyone in football tells you the Jan window is a very bad time to make “distressed” purchases, or sales, but they did. Charlie on podcasts has some excuse about why they had to sell Maya, I can’t remember what it was but I remember not being convinced by it. If they had kept him and spent serious money on a new contract for Maya they would have gone up that season. 
  • DiscoCAFC said:
    DiscoCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

It is a pathetic excuse.

Have you not watched the Netflix documentary? It was the Sunderland owner at the time who forced that move. Not Charlie
    You are correct - it was Donald who paid way over the odds for Grigg - in the scene even his head of recruitment is telling him not to do it, but he goes ahead regardless - Grigg’s subsequent record at Sunderland was utterly woeful 
    I thought it was a decent signing at the time but didn’t work out in the end. They did pay way over the odds but I Donald was pressured into signing a Striker.
    Not quite. He and Charlie caused the pressure by deciding to sell Josh Maya to Bordeaux. So they needed a striker, badly. And if I recall, they only  got about  £1.5m for Maya - certainly a lot less than they paid for Grigg. Everyone in football tells you the Jan window is a very bad time to make “distressed” purchases, or sales, but they did. Charlie on podcasts has some excuse about why they had to sell Maya, I can’t remember what it was but I remember not being convinced by it. If they had kept him and spent serious money on a new contract for Maya they would have gone up that season. 
    Maja was out of contract and his agent (same agent as Aribo’s) has a reputation for moving his players out of England on frees so that there is more money for the client (and himself) as the English club won’t even get a decent compensation payment if the player moves abroad 

Trouble with the above is we change managers every 8 months, I know a lot of them have been underwhelming but surely it's better to give them a bit more time. 
    And make the approaches before the window opens, put feelers out and get an idea of what would be required to get a  particular player in.
    If to rich do not approach them during the window and move on to your other choices.
    But are owners never seem to have pre planned ever.
  • Was going to mention Maja as an option striker wise as he hadn't been around the West Brom side. 

Out for 4 months 😅
  • cabbles said:
    The best thing about all of this and missing out on all the names we’ve been associated with, is that we edge ever closer to ‘The Cheltenham 5’ joining on deadline day 
    What are they in for? Crimes  against football?