Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Again thanks for the post @Swisdom reassured me somewhat.
  • Are we likely to have any in by Saturday? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Useless loans?

Give em a chance FFS.
    Whoosh!
  • Swisdom said:
    One of the offers is over £500k but the guy is likely going up AT LEAST one division so we are no longer in with a shout - CONOR COVENTRY

but a once highly rated team mate of his might be in scope. - ???

One of them has been made a very good offer. - JCH

Another has something we are desperately short of and is widely regarded in the game for his leadership qualities. - MACAULEY GILLESPHEY?

Another is a name that has been mentioned in the past but not so much in the last 6-12 months. - MALLIK WILKS?

Another is someone I have been very keen on or some time, soon to be out of contract and is on a shortlist. - LEWIS BATE?
    1/6
    and that 1/ is ????
    We know from Peterboro it is JCH, the good offer one.
  • The new mob told us that it would be actions over words when they came in. I really appreciate @Swisdom post but until I see proof of actual improvements being made I’ll remain unimpressed by their actions to date. I’ve been duped too many times in the past and as hopeful as I want/try to be, I’m still seeing the club I love on a painful descent. 
  • Mind numbing stuff from some who are saying, 'move on from JCH' already. With absolutely no clue what stage the negotiations are or what is happening in the deal. Just assumed, cos some teenager has suggested the deal is off on another forum?

Note: I have no clue either  :D 
    The deal not off .. but there does seem to be some feet dragging from his  agent and possibly Peterbro who would rather he signed in Monday after the game 
    I didn't think it was off mate.

I like many others have no clue :)
  • Melrose said:
    sorry Baziliance but I have to take issue with this quote of yours

"It sounds like his skillset might be best set somewhere else in football then, cause he isn't a good manager. 

I've also heard he's a good coach but if he can't implement his ideas on the pitch then it's not really worthwhile. I'd love us to invest into him but his record doesn't suggest he can do it and the footballing we are all watching doesn't suggest he can either. 

1 win in 10 and the amount of late goals conceded just looks like someone who isn't up to it imo, as harsh as that may sound. "

I think that Apples was introduced as the Head Coach not the Manager, also he is coaching a team that he did not select and he has had an ever mounting list of injured 1st team players since his arrival, so I suggest we all give him a little leeway for the rest of the season rather than opinionate that he isn't up to it. 
    A lot of football fans are clueless.  They seem to think if a manager has not set the world alight after four months you sack them ;)
    It's not that he hasn't set the world alight. It's that we are not improving. We are getting worse. He is not learning. Our football is turgid. Please explain the following.

Taking ages to move the ball quickly. Our build up is far too slow AKA known as poncing about at the back.
    Playing May wide right
    Abankwah, not one opportunity at his natural position.(accept he may not be good enough)
    Bringing In Rylah, Mbick ahead of Kanu, Good prospects, but clearly not ready.
    Freezing players out, then bringing them out of the wilderness. C Campbell, Anderson.
    Not playing Louie Watson, then after a few weeks playing him, then not accepting he was knackered after 70 mins
    His constant  tinkering and playing players out of position.
    His substitutions which have cost us several times. Most notably Cambridge where he threw 2 points away.

When we're struggling for the last 4 -5 weeks, playing wrong formation and not steeling things up. (see below)
    Playing the most powder midfield, I can ever remember.
    Insistence on playing Anderson ( who I still think is gonna be a good player) when he's having mares and is clearly not ready.

His unwillingness to accept responsibiliy, just blames it on a weak squad.

I am generalising.

Managers cannot keep getting the bullet every five minutes.
  • Mind numbing stuff from some who are saying, 'move on from JCH' already. With absolutely no clue what stage the negotiations are or what is happening in the deal. Just assumed, cos some teenager has suggested the deal is off on another forum?

Note: I have no clue either  :D 
    The deal not off .. but there does seem to be some feet dragging from his  agent and possibly Peterbro who would rather he signed in Monday after the game 
    I didn't think it was off mate.

I like many others have no clue :)
    Neither does she.
  • Bailey said:
    If Appleton is a great coach then I'd hate to see a bad one. 
    He reckons your a shit Golfer, Golfie  :😊
    But a brilliant winger!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Useless loans?

Give em a chance FFS.
    The thing is, how long must we wait until both of them can give us 90 minutes in a game? I don't doubt they may be good but we need fit players now
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Useless loans?

Give em a chance FFS.
    The thing is, how long must we wait until both of them can give us 90 minutes in a game? I don't doubt they may be good but we need fit players now
    Id be happy if Bakinson can do 60 mins and Fiorini can do the final 30
  • ross1 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Useless loans?

Give em a chance FFS.
    We needed to strengthen our bench options too though. They look like the low hanging fruit of this window to me. Hope so.
  • edited January 9
    Swisdom said:
    You don't have to believe this if you don't want to

CAFC have made numerous offers for players.  CAFC have identified the weaknesses in the squad and are working to resolve
    One of the offers is over £500k but the guy is likely going up AT LEAST one division so we are no longer in with a shout but a once highly rated team mate of his might be in scope.
    One of them has been made a very good offer.  His club are ok with it but the agent has got in his ear.  (Personally I'm not fussed about that - could easily be Marcus Maddison MkII)
    Another has something we are desperately short of and is widely regarded in the game for his leadership qualities.
    Another is a name that has been mentioned in the past but not so much in the last 6-12 months.  Again not someone I am overly fussed about but some people would love him.
    Another is someone I have been very keen on or some time, soon to be out of contract and is on a shortlist.

I am not going to confirm any names here but what I am saying is there are plans in place, the right sorts of players being identified and we are not scraping the barrel as we have in the past.

Can any of these geezers take a long throw?
  • I'm trying not to care. 

I'm contemplating buying a ticket for Sat but wanted to see some signings first (ones that are likely to make it out onto the pitch). If JCH signs in time to play then great, I'll buy a ticket. If not I probably wont, unless over the next 2 days we sign a couple of players that are going to get me off my seat (wasn't that what Methven said). Doesn't seem likely though. 
  • I completely understand Rich's point that makes a lot of sense , JCH staying , getting Posh possibly promoted and then going on a free abroad with a large signing bonus he wouldn't get over here makes a lot of sense.

I just hope we have other players in mind , @Swisdom 's earlier post definitely sounded like there isn't going to be a repeat of what happened in the summer and ended up with Tedic. 
  • swordfish said:
    There are three weeks plus left of the window and it’s only sensible for a player who has offers like JCH for example to drag their feet in putting pen to paper in the hope of getting the offer improved or another club getting involved. Can be a risk if the offering club move on but I wouldn’t expect JCH to be rushing to sign a contrast. I’m sure his agent will spend the next week or so phoning clubs. I think one thing Charlton have to their advantage with JCH is that a fee has been agreed and at the rumoured £500k fee and £10k wages there won’t be too many clubs competing with us and I don’t see Championship clubs getting involved but with three weeks of the window left you never know and JCH knows that. 
    Transforming the JCH bid into a signing is shaping up to be a real test of our ambitions in this window. The outcome can't be allowed to detract from the squad strengthening required in other areas, and given the money involved it needs to be sorted out quickly so that the remaining budget is known. It might even be worth offering him that bit extra to get that certainty early this week, for there's value to be had from the positive messaging it would give Club and supporters in securing the services of a  proven goal scorer. He does have his detractors of course, but overall I think he'd be seen as a welcome addition.
    The problem with that is the club has at this point done all it can. It’s had a bid accepted by Peterborough and put a rumoured very good contract in front of the player. Now there might be a few extra baubles on offer from CAFC but I would imagine we’re at or very close to our limit with JCH. It’s now very much up to when and if the player puts pen to paper. For Charlton it’s a case of when they decide they can’t afford to wait any longer and have to look at an alternative. Every day that passes makes that more difficult and risky. We might end up with nobody. Quite when that point where we say to JCH take it or leave it is is anybodies guess. For me I’d guess it’s about ten days from now. 

I would like to think letting Tedic go was a sign they have had the right noises back from JCH. 
    Could be, though if it's true that we were paying £11,000 of his £15,000 a week salary then I would have cancelled it at 00.01am on the 1st of January even if there weren't any other strikers left on planet Earth.
    I think his loan at Barnsley would stop anyone paying £11k per week.