Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• RC_CAFC said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Useless loans?

Give em a chance FFS.
    Agreed, the amount of people condemning these players before they’ve kicked a ball for us is just plain weird. 
    Can hardly blame supporters, this lots track record with loans so far hasn't exactly filled me with confidence. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Sounds to me like certain people are being briefed in the knowledge it will reach the greater fanbase. Whether this positivity comes to fruition I have my doubts. 
    Just like when there's a small but very vocal part of the fanbase that shit on absolutely anything the club does to win internet points.

The reality will be somewhere in the middle, as always

Hmmmmm based on current form definitely below middle......

And hurtling towards the bottom
  • sam3110 said:
    Sounds to me like certain people are being briefed in the knowledge it will reach the greater fanbase. Whether this positivity comes to fruition I have my doubts. 
    Just like when there's a small but very vocal part of the fanbase that shit on absolutely anything the club does to win internet points.

Small? I don’t agree with that. Yes some people are more vocal than others but the general consensus amongst those I speak to around the ground and on the coach is one of despair and apathy.
    I'd say it's a pretty small part of fanbase who are actively critical of the club and putting comparable amounts of effort into negative interpretation as the positive few.

Apathy/resignation is not the same thing. Most people might be disillusioned right now but I doubt many are genuinely interested in picking up torches and pitchforks. Those are the ones who might be won over by a signing like JCH for example.
  • edited January 9
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Does anyone believe this guff about decent players not being signed due to circumstances beyond the clubs's control despite the heroic efforts of Scott and the professional football people?

I am no expert in recruitment but I would imagine the primary objective is to recruit strong candidates not just leak information about how you tried to recruit them, offered big money, but in the end it was all too difficult and anyway we would probably be better off looking elsewhere.

Unfortunately there is no league table for clubs with the best press releases and information  management.

Deal isn't off as of yet.. But why should the club pay over the top? Pay him a stupid wage that might upset the rest of the squad? 

They are looking to spend money this January and in the summer.. But it isn't that easy to get deals over the line, and that's not only Charlton that is every club up and down the country! 
    You can get any deal done at anytime, you’ve just gotta come up with the money.  

I personally think it’ll be a travesty if we let this one go, we have the opportunity to start next season with the third tiers best two attacking players.  

Anything about JCH’s age and “attitude” is nonsense the geeza is a menace and just the sort of player we’ve been crying out for.  
    The money he wants is miles over the top.. Charlton are offering him a deal to be one of the highest if not the highest paid player.. Not about the money, it's about taking the piss!
    We always seem to hear this in transfer windows as if it’s a surprise. It’s been said about fees as well as wages.

It should be expected, JCH is probably in no rush as he can wait a few weeks and see if he gets an even better offer. I expect he’ll also be weighing up waiting until the summer vs the risk of picking up a serious injury.

He might not get what he’s asking for, but in his position why wouldn’t you ask for a huge wage and hope a club is desperate enough to pay it?
    All comes down to fan pressure right? I really hope Charlton don't fall in to that trap, of a desperate signing........., Made to may signings over the last few years, because of desperation and pressure.
    Sorry, but that is nonsense.

No fan pressure "made" Sandgaard or SE7 Partners make signings; they are supposed to be serious business people in control of budgets.

Of course fans clamour on forums and social media for more and bigger signings but that happens at every club, every window.

SE7 can't even use the excuse TS had of being a nieve yank new to football.

Rodwell, Lengahan, Methven and Scott have all been in football for years. 

They know how the transfer market works. Perhaps they just aren't very good at it.

I agree that they shouldn't just pay any price but please don't try to spin it as the fans' fault that they have overpaid for poor players in past.

Disagree - clubs do make some signings on fan pressure, and certainly happened during Sandgaard time as well. Pressure to spend money, and sometimes rushed in to a signing! 

And I didn't say SE7 will do that, I just said I hope they don't fall in to that trap... Will Grigg and Sunderland is a very good example, money to spend, need a striker but instead of waiting, the pressure of the fans and expectations of the window. 

But the issue is down to the club not having the right recruitment in place in the past.. And unless Scott pulls his finger out, he is in the same boat. 
    But you are blaming the fans for the owners giving into that pressure when all the power and decision making is in the hands of the club.  A minority, and it is a minority, of the fans moaning on forums is just noise or at least it should be.

It is a pathetic excuse.

The Will Grigg signing is a very good example.  There were no Sunderland fans in that room making Methven pay £5m for him, that was his decision. 
    Fans do put pressure on club owners, and it does lead them to make rash signings and sacking managers as well.... Also the same, when fans put owners to sell a club as well..

Fans do play a huge part in everything positive and negative way, that is a fact!
    But you're spinning it as it's the fans fault that poor old owners give into that pressure.

Every parent on here will know about pester pressure from their kids for sweets, toys or whatever but sometimes you have to say no because you can't afford them or they won't be good for them.

To be fair, the current owners have done very well in resisting the fan pressure to build a balanced, talented and fit squad capable of challenging at the top of this division!!!!! 
    Not blaming the fans.. I said it comes down fan pressure .. You are the one turning it around! Fan pressure has an impact at every single club on the decisions they make. 

There is such a thing as fan pressure as we see with Arsenal after losing 3 matches and the clamour for a regular Goal scorer.
    Whether Arsenal react and potentially panic buy will be interesting. Globally Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man utd all have well over 100 million fans and growing all the time. It's not just sofa fans in the UK with access to social media to pressure clubs.
    Strong clubs have a plan as Man City and Liverpool have shown; always ahead of the game

Charlton Athletic are our club but we are  small now and getting smaller all the time sadly.
    With Charlton the worry is the disappearing fans and with Aneke and Leaburn injured and the disappointing Tedic going back we don't have a central, hold up number 9.

Possibly the new owners were told that there was gold in the Charlton academy and the present crop of Cafc under 21's were in the class of Aribo, Gomez, Lookman, Konsa, Pope (These names would mean nothing to them other than money received and potentially more from any add on's)

Despite many being decent, the truth is Anderson, Campbell, Kanu, Asiimwe, Deji etc aren't at the levels that the Joe's, Ezri, Nick and Ademola reached.
    Still time, as all of the cafc lads above are still teenagers other than Deji Elerewe who was 20 last September.
    Leaburn was looking to be a good fee but his robustness may be an issue with 3 bad injuries in 15 months. 
  • arny23394 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Be nice if we can get Stephen Humphreys in from Wigan as well - If he's linked.
    How many strikers do we need?! 
    None, we already have Kanu, May, Leaburn & Aneke That should be enough
    Kanu isn’t quite ready and the other 3 are injured. I swear we have some of the dimmest fans about.
    Obviously the sarcasm wasn't clear enough for you
  • Sponsored links:

• Call me naive on how recruitment should work with currently contracted players…

I think the first step is to identify what style of player we are currently missing that fits the systems(s) the manager wants to play, or what cover weaknesses we have.

You then identify a list of targets for each of those.

You then work through what is feasible, likely and within budget. 

You then find out whether the players demands are likely to be alligned to what you’re willing to pay.

You then proceed and speak to the club.

in other words, you don’t dick around, waste time and effort chasing targets when it comes down to the crunch, aren’t prepared to sign for what you are willing to pay. 

If (and big if) we don’t get Clarke Harris due to wage demands, then we’ve completely and unnecessarily wasted the last fortnight. 
    Or maybe we never intended signing him
  • edited January 9
    Call me naive on how recruitment should work with currently contracted players…

I think the first step is to identify what style of player we are currently missing that fits the systems(s) the manager wants to play, or what cover weaknesses we have.

You then find out whether the players demands are likely to be alligned to what you’re willing to pay.

in other words, you don’t dick around, waste time and effort chasing targets when it comes down to the crunch, aren’t prepared to sign for what you are willing to pay. 

If (and big if) we don’t get Clarke Harris due to wage demands, then we’ve completely and unnecessarily wasted the last fortnight. 
    Cawley says the wage offer is a pay increase from what he’s currently earning at Peterborough.

I imagine all indications would’ve been that that would be enough to get a deal done. Unfortunately you can’t legislate for external factors inserting their influence into the mix and asking for what sounds to be something unreasonable.

Depending on how big the apparent increase is, the feeling I get is that the club expected it to be enough to get a deal done quite quickly. Not sure there’s anyway the club could’ve foreseen what has happened in reality.

It’s not just other clubs trying to take advantage of our predicament.
  • Uboat said:
    sam3110 said:i

100%. Spot on as always, Sam. I just CANNOT understand where this negativity is coming from. I wish these so-called fans could see that we are living through a golden age for the club, as we go from strength to strength. 
    No-one is saying that. 
  • edited January 10
    Call me naive on how recruitment should work with currently contracted players…

Cawley says the wage offer is a pay increase from what he’s currently earning at Peterborough.

I imagine all indications would’ve been that that would be enough to get a deal done. Unfortunately you can’t legislate for external factors inserting their influence into the mix and asking for what sounds to be something unreasonable.

Depending on how big the apparent increase is, the feeling I get is that the club expected it to be enough to get a deal done quite quickly. Not sure there’s anyway the club could’ve foreseen what has happened in reality.

It’s not just other clubs trying to take advantage of our predicament.
    Doesn't help that we have only won 1 in the last 10 and dropping down the League. Who wants to join a team that has no real hope of getting into the play offs & could even be dragged into a relegation scrap - esp if you are JCH and at a club flying high in the top 6.

And why is that ? Because the club didn't plan effectively in the summer. Blame Sandgaard or blame SE7 Partners. But whoever it is you blame remember that a club needs to put together a workable squad each & every season, no matter who is in change. 

We went into the season with very little fire power, midfielders injured & (once again) no left footed left back (until Edun joined very late on). We got off to a poor start & have been trying to play catch up ever since. 

• DubaiCAFC said:
    Swisdom said:
    You don't have to believe this if you don't want to

CAFC have made numerous offers for players.  CAFC have identified the weaknesses in the squad and are working to resolve
    One of the offers is over £500k but the guy is likely going up AT LEAST one division so we are no longer in with a shout but a once highly rated team mate of his might be in scope.
    One of them has been made a very good offer.  His club are ok with it but the agent has got in his ear.  (Personally I'm not fussed about that - could easily be Marcus Maddison MkII)
    Another has something we are desperately short of and is widely regarded in the game for his leadership qualities.
    Another is a name that has been mentioned in the past but not so much in the last 6-12 months.  Again not someone I am overly fussed about but some people would love him.
    Another is someone I have been very keen on or some time, soon to be out of contract and is on a shortlist.

I am not going to confirm any names here but what I am saying is there are plans in place, the right sorts of players being identified and we are not scraping the barrel as we have in the past.

It looks as if Appleton is going to be given a chance to stamp his authority on the squad so I suggest we get behind him, and the team.  And we need to overlook the fact Appleton is no good at interviews and the media side of things - that's just his demeanour and if he can get the best from the players then I'll ignore the cringeworthy interviews

I've been told by someone in the game what a brilliant coach he is.  Not just that he was good - but he is the best he's worked for.  I guess we need to trust the process and give him the opportunity to do his thing.
    Fiorini was desperate to come and play for him again so he must have done something right

In the immortal words of Russel Slade and Gary Barlow.......Patience! :-)

100% mate.. thank you for sharing! maybe some other fans might start believing they have good intentions. They know they didn’t get things right in the summer and want to put it right. 

proof of the pudding etc etc. I have every intention of losing weight this year but doubt it will happen.                                                                     
    And there was me thinking that your user name was due to the size of your wandle.
  • edited January 10
    Uboat said:
    sam3110 said:i

100%. Spot on as always, Sam. I just CANNOT understand where this negativity is coming from. I wish these so-called fans could see that we are living through a golden age for the club, as we go from strength to strength. 
    It feels like a make or break period for the club, which is why feelings are running high. If not make or break it certainly feels like a long decline at the moment. 
    @Swisdom’s post was at least some reassurance that things may not be as bad as we were fearing. 
    If a few decent/good signings are made, and we start picking up some wins, hopefully the atmosphere will improve and the attendances will at least stop falling. 
    The next two weeks will, of corse, be …..the usual. 
  • I’m not sure Swisdoms post tells us anything we don’t already know - it’s all looking a bit bleak and unplanned if you ask me - the squad needs major surgery but in relative terms we appear to only have a first aid box and are sticking plasters all over the place hoping something sticks - depressing and can’t see tonight’s ‘meeting’ telling us much other than be patient and get behind apples - followed by a defeat in Saturday - which thankfully I won’t be at 
  • DOUCHER said:
    I’m not sure Swisdoms post tells us anything we don’t already know - it’s all looking a bit bleak and unplanned if you ask me - the squad needs major surgery but in relative terms we appear to only have a first aid box and are sticking plasters all over the place hoping something sticks - depressing and can’t see tonight’s ‘meeting’ telling us much other than be patient and get behind apples - followed by a defeat in Saturday - which thankfully I won’t be at 
    I think they have planned but currently those plans are looking unachievable.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 10
    DOUCHER said:
    I’m not sure Swisdoms post tells us anything we don’t already know - it’s all looking a bit bleak and unplanned if you ask me - the squad needs major surgery but in relative terms we appear to only have a first aid box and are sticking plasters all over the place hoping something sticks - depressing and can’t see tonight’s ‘meeting’ telling us much other than be patient and get behind apples - followed by a defeat in Saturday - which thankfully I won’t be at 
    I fear the sad reality is that January recruitment at a mid table League 1 side that’s (virtually) out of play-off contention isn’t a cakewalk, so my expectations aren’t that high. We all know the squad needs major surgery, but because of the lack of investment in the (politics alert) nhs/club there’s a queue, and sadly we’re not at the front of it. 
    Yes, a ‘club of our size’ should be further forward in the queue than we are, but for that you have to blame the last three ownerships; Roland, ESI and the American Dane. 
    Edit; if we do sign JCH then it’ll show that the new ownership may, just may, turn out to be better than the last three. 

• cfgs said:
    Yep, they want the money.
    And JCH wants more
  • Yeah completely understandable that Posh want the fee as opposed to him going for nothing in the summer. I just get the impression it would have been completed by now if JCH wanted it to. Clearly Fergie Jr is getting itchy feet about it if he's been promised the JCH fee as a transfer budget. 
  • cfgs said:
    Yep, they want the money.
    So they can then no doubt go and put it towards a young striker who will probably be worth 5m in 2-3 years time.

We might be better off trying to suss out who they have in mind to replace JCH and going for him instead as Peterborough always seem to get it right with their striker signings.
  • Always liked JCH and wanted him back when we was in the Championship. Still think he has a lot to offer even at his age but really don’t think we should be held to ransom by him/his agent. 

I’d move on by the end of this week. It’s slightly more of a risk, but I’d love for us go for Macauley Longstaff at Notts County who I think could cut it in League 1.
  • Langstaff recently signed a new contract to 2027 so if he's going anywhere, he's going to cost a lot.

My guess is that if Notts County don't go up this season, he will get a championship move in the summer.