Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Does anyone believe this guff about decent players not being signed due to circumstances beyond the clubs's control despite the heroic efforts of Scott and the professional football people?

I am no expert in recruitment but I would imagine the primary objective is to recruit strong candidates not just leak information about how you tried to recruit them, offered big money, but in the end it was all too difficult and anyway we would probably be better off looking elsewhere.

Unfortunately there is no league table for clubs with the best press releases and information  management.

Deal isn't off as of yet.. But why should the club pay over the top? Pay him a stupid wage that might upset the rest of the squad? 

They are looking to spend money this January and in the summer.. But it isn't that easy to get deals over the line, and that's not only Charlton that is every club up and down the country! 
    You can get any deal done at anytime, you’ve just gotta come up with the money.  

I personally think it’ll be a travesty if we let this one go, we have the opportunity to start next season with the third tiers best two attacking players.  

Anything about JCH’s age and “attitude” is nonsense the geeza is a menace and just the sort of player we’ve been crying out for.  
    The money he wants is miles over the top.. Charlton are offering him a deal to be one of the highest if not the highest paid player.. Not about the money, it's about taking the piss!
    Isn’t this just called negotiating?  Obviously I’ve not figures to hand so I take your word for it.
    Yes, and no one has said the deal is off yet. But the figures have a bit of a gap!
  • I'd forget about JCH and start looking elsewhere. No point being dicked about for 2 weeks only to find he signs for someone else in late January, leaving us scrambling around on deadline day for waifs & strays 

And I'll tell him this too. 

"If you don't sign by Thursday evening we're going elsewhere". And then mean it. 
    I think / hope, they probably already have Golfie, we don't want to be led a merry dance, unless we're trying to get him on the cheap on deadline day, which won't work out.
  • edited January 9
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Does anyone believe this guff about decent players not being signed due to circumstances beyond the clubs's control despite the heroic efforts of Scott and the professional football people?

I am no expert in recruitment but I would imagine the primary objective is to recruit strong candidates not just leak information about how you tried to recruit them, offered big money, but in the end it was all too difficult and anyway we would probably be better off looking elsewhere.

Unfortunately there is no league table for clubs with the best press releases and information  management.

Deal isn't off as of yet.. But why should the club pay over the top? Pay him a stupid wage that might upset the rest of the squad? 

They are looking to spend money this January and in the summer.. But it isn't that easy to get deals over the line, and that's not only Charlton that is every club up and down the country! 

I personally think it’ll be a travesty if we let this one go, we have the opportunity to start next season with the third tiers best two attacking players.  

Anything about JCH’s age and “attitude” is nonsense the geeza is a menace and just the sort of player we’ve been crying out for.  
    The money he wants is miles over the top.. Charlton are offering him a deal to be one of the highest if not the highest paid player.. Not about the money, it's about taking the piss!
    Out of interest do the club have a good back up option in case the deal for JCH is not possible?
    Normally have 3/4 options, what they are i don't know.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Isn’t this just called negotiating?  Obviously I’ve not got figures to hand so I take your word for it.  But I highly doubt this is unusual.
    We are apparently refusing to negotiate further with two of our three best players too. 

Negotiating is not weakness. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

We always seem to hear this in transfer windows as if it’s a surprise. It’s been said about fees as well as wages.

It should be expected, JCH is probably in no rush as he can wait a few weeks and see if he gets an even better offer. I expect he’ll also be weighing up waiting until the summer vs the risk of picking up a serious injury.

He might not get what he’s asking for, but in his position why wouldn’t you ask for a huge wage and hope a club is desperate enough to pay it?
    All comes down to fan pressure right? I really hope Charlton don't fall in to that trap, of a desperate signing........., Made to may signings over the last few years, because of desperation and pressure.
    Sorry, but that is nonsense.

No fan pressure "made" Sandgaard or SE7 Partners make signings; they are supposed to be serious business people in control of budgets.

Of course fans clamour on forums and social media for more and bigger signings but that happens at every club, every window.

SE7 can't even use the excuse TS had of being a nieve yank new to football.

Rodwell, Lengahan, Methven and Scott have all been in football for years. 

They know how the transfer market works. Perhaps they just aren't very good at it.

I agree that they shouldn't just pay any price but please don't try to spin it as the fans' fault that they have overpaid for poor players in past.

Disagree - clubs do make some signings on fan pressure, and certainly happened during Sandgaard time as well. Pressure to spend money, and sometimes rushed in to a signing! 

And I didn't say SE7 will do that, I just said I hope they don't fall in to that trap... Will Grigg and Sunderland is a very good example, money to spend, need a striker but instead of waiting, the pressure of the fans and expectations of the window. 

But the issue is down to the club not having the right recruitment in place in the past.. And unless Scott pulls his finger out, he is in the same boat. 
    Marcus Maddison good example. 
    Hard to imagine anyone failing a medical with us.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Out of interest do the club have a good back up option in case the deal for JCH is not possible?
    Would say so yes, they will have 3 or 4 back ups for each position they are looking to recruit..
    Poor Tedic won’t even open his car door. “Back we go driver”.
  • Sponsored links:

• I hope the club are talking to other targets rather than waiting for JCH to make his mind up.

if I was mr Scott, talks with other targets would be leaked to the south London press. It would give JCH something to think about, £10k a week now or roll the dice on the summer
    £10k a week is what he / his agent wants. We have probably offered nearer £6k.

Which is fair enough.
    Didn't Scott say that wage offers were 'insentivised' as in performance bonus related. I wonder if. A player with a significant injuries history has clauses in the contract around availability to play. 
  • edited January 9
    mart77 said:
    Any chance of a rumour? Asking for a friend.
    Stop pressurising the board : - )
    Is that a rumour...🙄
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

We always seem to hear this in transfer windows as if it’s a surprise. It’s been said about fees as well as wages.

It should be expected, JCH is probably in no rush as he can wait a few weeks and see if he gets an even better offer. I expect he’ll also be weighing up waiting until the summer vs the risk of picking up a serious injury.

He might not get what he’s asking for, but in his position why wouldn’t you ask for a huge wage and hope a club is desperate enough to pay it?
    All comes down to fan pressure right? I really hope Charlton don't fall in to that trap, of a desperate signing........., Made to may signings over the last few years, because of desperation and pressure.

No fan pressure "made" Sandgaard or SE7 Partners make signings; they are supposed to be serious business people in control of budgets.

Of course fans clamour on forums and social media for more and bigger signings but that happens at every club, every window.

They know how the transfer market works. Perhaps they just aren't very good at it.

I agree that they shouldn't just pay any price but please don't try to spin it as the fans' fault that they have overpaid for poor players in past.

Disagree - clubs do make some signings on fan pressure, and certainly happened during Sandgaard time as well. Pressure to spend money, and sometimes rushed in to a signing! 

And I didn't say SE7 will do that, I just said I hope they don't fall in to that trap... Will Grigg and Sunderland is a very good example, money to spend, need a striker but instead of waiting, the pressure of the fans and expectations of the window. 

But the issue is down to the club not having the right recruitment in place in the past.. And unless Scott pulls his finger out, he is in the same boat. 
    But you are blaming the fans for the owners giving into that pressure when all the power and decision making is in the hands of the club.  A minority, and it is a minority, of the fans moaning on forums is just noise or at least it should be.

It is a pathetic excuse.

The Will Grigg signing is a very good example.  There were no Sunderland fans in that room making Methven pay £5m for him, that was his decision. 
    Have you not watched the Netflix documentary? It was the Sunderland owner at the time who forced that move. Not Charlie
  • DiscoCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

But you are blaming the fans for the owners giving into that pressure when all the power and decision making is in the hands of the club.  A minority, and it is a minority, of the fans moaning on forums is just noise or at least it should be.

It is a pathetic excuse.

The Will Grigg signing is a very good example.  There were no Sunderland fans in that room making Methven pay £5m for him, that was his decision. 
    Have you not watched the Netflix documentary? It was the Sunderland owner at the time who forced that move. Not Charlie
    You are correct - it was Donald who paid way over the odds for Grigg - in the scene even his head of recruitment is telling him not to do it, but he goes ahead regardless - Grigg’s subsequent record at Sunderland was utterly woeful 
  • Either way let's just hope they have more targets than one (admittedly) very good player. It wasn't hard to identify Alfie May and it certainly isn't hard to identify one of the best players this league has seen in recent history in JCH.

It seems we have the money, prove it, earn your salaries and identify other players who would do well in this team from this league and below.

If they're feeling pressured good, they should be. 1 win in 10 league games is completely unacceptable for us, especially at this poxy level. They should be spending money, how else will they convince people to keep turning up to watch such a meek side lead by a man hardly any of us fans resonate with? 
    Agree with this. We haven't seen much to see scouting has improved. I know that takes time but we don't have time, this season is basically a write off but we need to be strong contenders next season. Build a good spine now, I don't want to have a summer where the core of the squad aren't together for most of preseason
  • Sponsored links:

• Call me naive on how recruitment should work with currently contracted players…

I think the first step is to identify what style of player we are currently missing that fits the systems(s) the manager wants to play, or what cover weaknesses we have.

You then identify a list of targets for each of those.

You then work through what is feasible, likely and within budget. 

You then find out whether the players demands are likely to be alligned to what you’re willing to pay.

You then proceed and speak to the club.

in other words, you don’t dick around, waste time and effort chasing targets when it comes down to the crunch, aren’t prepared to sign for what you are willing to pay. 

If (and big if) we don’t get Clarke Harris due to wage demands, then we’ve completely and unnecessarily wasted the last fortnight. 
    Or if JCH has indicated previously that said figure would work and now is being advised that there is potentially more to extracted from what is likely to be his last big money contract.  He may now move the goalposts from his original indication that a deal could be struck.
  • Call me naive on how recruitment should work with currently contracted players…

I think the first step is to identify what style of player we are currently missing that fits the systems(s) the manager wants to play, or what cover weaknesses we have.

You then identify a list of targets for each of those.

You then work through what is feasible, likely and within budget. 

You then find out whether the players demands are likely to be alligned to what you’re willing to pay.

You then proceed and speak to the club.

in other words, you don’t dick around, waste time and effort chasing targets when it comes down to the crunch, aren’t prepared to sign for what you are willing to pay. 

If (and big if) we don’t get Clarke Harris due to wage demands, then we’ve completely and unnecessarily wasted the last fortnight. 
    Trouble with the above is we change managers every 8 months, I know a lot of them have been underwhelming but surely it's better to give them a bit more time. 
  • I don’t blame the owners if they can’t get JCH but let’s see who the alternative is. In the summer we apparently wanted Smith or Nombe and got Tedic. I don’t think they’re playing us on this but they’ve had months to get a list sorted. If we end up with a panicked alternative they deserve criticism, 
    50/50 on this. What if our plan b has 18 months left on his contract, will we be in a better negotiating position in the summer rather than now?

if the vision long term is to rebuild the squad with permanent signings that are right for the club then I'm happy with loans to see us through this season, although this isn't my preferred option and of course, the basis that they are good loans that improve is, not tedic and the Irish dude.

if the vision is loans and hope we strike gold is the plan, then the owners deserve the criticism heading their way.
    Depends on the position and how urgent the need is in within the team.

IMO we need to get a decent, experienced, physical striker through the door this window, in order to help us see out the season.

When we dont have that type of player in the line-up we are so much worse as a team. No way we can go rest of season with just Aneke/Kanu expected to play that role.

For other positions, I think we can be more patient given this is pretty much a dead season now.
  • DiscoCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

It is a pathetic excuse.

You are correct - it was Donald who paid way over the odds for Grigg - in the scene even his head of recruitment is telling him not to do it, but he goes ahead regardless - Grigg’s subsequent record at Sunderland was utterly woeful 
    I thought it was a decent signing at the time but didn’t work out in the end. They did pay way over the odds but I Donald was pressured into signing a Striker.
  • DiscoCAFC said:
    DiscoCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

It is a pathetic excuse.

I thought it was a decent signing at the time but didn’t work out in the end. They did pay way over the odds but I Donald was pressured into signing a Striker.
    Do you believe all that Charlie tells you?