Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Can anyone point to me where Andy Scott said every January signing we make will be a permanent that will be able to go into the squad straight away.

To be honest going on their previous record for loans, I don’t trust either of these to be any good - but I can certainly see Fiorini (if he is) being part of planning for next season which we would be naive not to be doing. 

He said at Bromley Addicks meeting he wanted to sign permanent players and wanted ones that didn't see Charlton as the limit of their career but ones that thought they were better but he persuaded to join us and go on our journey... Or words to that effect.  The words I think he actually used were he didn't want players who wanted to play for Charlton.
    Just checking, did he really say that he didn’t want players who wanted to play for Charlton, or did he only want players who wanted to play for Charlton.

He said he didn't want to sign players who wanted to play for Charlton.

The inference was that he wanted to get players who felt they were already too good for us but persuade them to join and go on a journey, rather than maybe get players who desperately wanted to play for Charlton because they had no other better offers.

It was a very clumsy way of putting it I thought at the time, especially when you considered that we had not long before signed Alfie May who seemed the very definition of someone desperate to sign for Charlton who probably didn't have any/many bigger (ie Championship) offers but was clearly our best signing of the summer.
    Thanks for the clarification. 
    He will have a lot of choice at the moment! 😃
    I don’t even like Charlton at the moment, so does that mean I’ll be expecting a knock on my door from Scott?
  • CBT is out of contract in the summer isn’t he? Would be silly not to cash in and sell him in a dead season. Dobson too really, but can’t see that one happening. 

Either way, they won’t be here next season and neither will Leaburn. 
    Leaburn and Dobson will kick off next season with Charlton .. not really bothered with CBT cause in 12 months time he most likey will be back in league two on loan somewhere 
    Why oh why.
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    redbuttle said:
    Unfortunate news about Conor Coventry, but this isn't the first time we have done something like this, linked to some biggish names for our league and for it not to come to fruition. All well and good being linked but we have had that before. I understand of course he isn't Wednesdays player yet but it sounds like it may go that way.

In regards to the bid to JCH, I think we bid for Ivan Toney before for in excess of 4 million, which we didn't actually have the cash to do? 

Not accusing them of the same but we have had owners before that had us making noise and only to fall short. 

Still optimistic of course though and will have no option other than to wait to see if we get the players in we so desperately need. 
    Don't think we bid at all. It was all a fairy tale made up by MacAnthony and his new mate Southall.
    Cawley tweeted yesterday we have had a bid accepted didnt he? Don’t think he gets his info from MacAnthony
    Fee is agreed, I was told by a good friend that JCH wanted 10k a week from Rovers in the summer, sp will be surprised if it happens based on our salary average tbh
    We have London tax as well, so if he wanted 10k at Bristol he probably wants more here to accommodate the higher living costs
  • There are three weeks plus left of the window and it’s only sensible for a player who has offers like JCH for example to drag their feet in putting pen to paper in the hope of getting the offer improved or another club getting involved. Can be a risk if the offering club move on but I wouldn’t expect JCH to be rushing to sign a contrast. I’m sure his agent will spend the next week or so phoning clubs. I think one thing Charlton have to their advantage with JCH is that a fee has been agreed and at the rumoured £500k fee and £10k wages there won’t be too many clubs competing with us and I don’t see Championship clubs getting involved but with three weeks of the window left you never know and JCH knows that. 
  • supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I suspect this might come down to how much he thinks Shef Wed will be in the championship next season and if he wants to stay closer to home.. Finances are in our advantage from what I have heard. 

I understand we have moved for another left footed CB, I have no details on the identity of the player.. The gent from Plymouth isn't dead yet, but feels like the club won't be wait around! 
    According to reports our offer better then Sheff Wed .. and we are still front runners 
    Time will tell.. I would say this is going to be a busy week. 
    More injured loans? ;-)
    Have faith and aim high. I'm going for an injured permanent signing
    JCH is actually out injured at the mo!
    Well that should make getting him in Imperative.  Now his agent can really play hardball.
  • supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I suspect this might come down to how much he thinks Shef Wed will be in the championship next season and if he wants to stay closer to home.. Finances are in our advantage from what I have heard. 

I understand we have moved for another left footed CB, I have no details on the identity of the player.. The gent from Plymouth isn't dead yet, but feels like the club won't be wait around! 
    According to reports our offer better then Sheff Wed .. and we are still front runners 
    More injured loans? ;-)
    Well that should make getting him in Imperative.  Now his agent can really play hardball.
    We don’t know if he’s really injured though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• follett said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    redbuttle said:
    Unfortunate news about Conor Coventry, but this isn't the first time we have done something like this, linked to some biggish names for our league and for it not to come to fruition. All well and good being linked but we have had that before. I understand of course he isn't Wednesdays player yet but it sounds like it may go that way.

In regards to the bid to JCH, I think we bid for Ivan Toney before for in excess of 4 million, which we didn't actually have the cash to do? 

Not accusing them of the same but we have had owners before that had us making noise and only to fall short. 

Still optimistic of course though and will have no option other than to wait to see if we get the players in we so desperately need. 
    Don't think we bid at all. It was all a fairy tale made up by MacAnthony and his new mate Southall.
    Cawley tweeted yesterday we have had a bid accepted didnt he? Don’t think he gets his info from MacAnthony
    Fee is agreed, I was told by a good friend that JCH wanted 10k a week from Rovers in the summer, sp will be surprised if it happens based on our salary average tbh
    We have London tax as well, so if he wanted 10k at Bristol he probably wants more here to accommodate the higher living costs
    To be honest, Bristol is essentially London West in terms of cost of living these days. The median house price is actually higher and it's the second most expensive city behind London so of all the places he could come from and claim that Bristol is probably the best for our purposes.
  • There are three weeks plus left of the window and it’s only sensible for a player who has offers like JCH for example to drag their feet in putting pen to paper in the hope of getting the offer improved or another club getting involved. Can be a risk if the offering club move on but I wouldn’t expect JCH to be rushing to sign a contrast. I’m sure his agent will spend the next week or so phoning clubs. I think one thing Charlton have to their advantage with JCH is that a fee has been agreed and at the rumoured £500k fee and £10k wages there won’t be too many clubs competing with us and I don’t see Championship clubs getting involved but with three weeks of the window left you never know and JCH knows that. 
    Transforming the JCH bid into a signing is shaping up to be a real test of our ambitions in this window. The outcome can't be allowed to detract from the squad strengthening required in other areas, and given the money involved it needs to be sorted out quickly so that the remaining budget is known. It might even be worth offering him that bit extra to get that certainty early this week, for there's value to be had from the positive messaging it would give Club and supporters in securing the services of a  proven goal scorer. He does have his detractors of course, but overall I think he'd be seen as a welcome addition.
  • redbuttle said:

Yeah that is what it seemed like, not sure what 'DMAC' had to gain from that though at the time other than attention.

This JCH link seems a lot more genuine but the 10k a week offer has me a bit perplexed, I can't imagine we have that kind of money

If he was a free agent maybe it would make more sense to trump people and with it being a 'free', with us allegedly bidding just about half a million and paying that, surely we have used our budget on one player? 

Interesting few weeks ahead 
    That or one of our mystery money men has had a word with Charlie and Co. (or vice versa) and a bit more money has been pumped in. 

The JCH, Gillesphey and Coventry deals all still seem to be runners (albeit not set in stone yet) and all will involve substantial fees (by L1 levels) - there's no way we could complete all 3 on a shoestring and even selling both CBT and Dobson wouldn't balance the books entirely.

Speculation on my part but either this is all bullshit and its loanees and frees all the way OR we're working on a higher budget than initially believed.

The eating of the pudding is in the proof etc
  • redbuttle said:
    supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

More injured loans? ;-)

Apparently some sort of strain...
    ...on his bank account apparently...🙄
  • edited January 8
    swordfish said:
    There are three weeks plus left of the window and it’s only sensible for a player who has offers like JCH for example to drag their feet in putting pen to paper in the hope of getting the offer improved or another club getting involved. Can be a risk if the offering club move on but I wouldn’t expect JCH to be rushing to sign a contrast. I’m sure his agent will spend the next week or so phoning clubs. I think one thing Charlton have to their advantage with JCH is that a fee has been agreed and at the rumoured £500k fee and £10k wages there won’t be too many clubs competing with us and I don’t see Championship clubs getting involved but with three weeks of the window left you never know and JCH knows that. 
    Transforming the JCH bid into a signing is shaping up to be a real test of our ambitions in this window. The outcome can't be allowed to detract from the squad strengthening required in other areas, and given the money involved it needs to be sorted out quickly so that the remaining budget is known. It might even be worth offering him that bit extra to get that certainty early this week, for there's value to be had from the positive messaging it would give Club and supporters in securing the services of a  proven goal scorer. He does have his detractors of course, but overall I think he'd be seen as a welcome addition.
    The problem with that is the club has at this point done all it can. It’s had a bid accepted by Peterborough and put a rumoured very good contract in front of the player. Now there might be a few extra baubles on offer from CAFC but I would imagine we’re at or very close to our limit with JCH. It’s now very much up to when and if the player puts pen to paper. For Charlton it’s a case of when they decide they can’t afford to wait any longer and have to look at an alternative. Every day that passes makes that more difficult and risky. We might end up with nobody. Quite when that point where we say to JCH take it or leave it is is anybodies guess. For me I’d guess it’s about ten days from now. 
  • swordfish said:
    There are three weeks plus left of the window and it’s only sensible for a player who has offers like JCH for example to drag their feet in putting pen to paper in the hope of getting the offer improved or another club getting involved. Can be a risk if the offering club move on but I wouldn’t expect JCH to be rushing to sign a contrast. I’m sure his agent will spend the next week or so phoning clubs. I think one thing Charlton have to their advantage with JCH is that a fee has been agreed and at the rumoured £500k fee and £10k wages there won’t be too many clubs competing with us and I don’t see Championship clubs getting involved but with three weeks of the window left you never know and JCH knows that. 
    The problem with that is the club has at this point done all it can. It’s had a bid accepted by Peterborough and put a rumoured very good contract in front of the player. Now there might be a few extra baubles on offer from CAFC but I would imagine we’re at or very close to our limit with JCH. It’s now very much up to when and if the player puts pen to paper. For Charlton it’s a case of when they decide they can’t afford to wait any longer and have to look at an alternative. Every day that passes makes that more difficult and risky. We might end up with nobody. Quite when that point where we say to JCH take it or leave it is is anybodies guess. For me I’d guess it’s about ten days from now. 

I would like to think letting Tedic go was a sign they have had the right noises back from JCH. 
  • swordfish said:

I would like to think letting Tedic go was a sign they have had the right noises back from JCH. 
    I think given his game time and performances, Tedic was seen as just a drain on resources and was going back regardless.
  • Sponsored links:

• swordfish said:

I'd like to think that just having a functioning pair of eyes was enough to send him back.
  • Transfers move slowly or very quickly, they fall through and can then be revived.  People and clubs change their minds or try to squeeze a few extra quid at the last minute or someone better suddenly becomes available.

There are so many parts that needs to fall into place EG the player, the agent, their family, the two clubs, other clubs, fees, the EFL, wages, status, location, manager, length of contract, injuries, personalities, budget, etc etc.

When people say "Just get the deal done" or "why is it taking so long?" they are ignoring that complexity. 

At the same time there is a lot of guess work in the media and on forums,  Wages and fees are estimated/guessed and more than often exaggerated.   Once upon a time I had access to the Charlton wage structure.  People would tell me that player X was on £X pw.  I literally had the spreadsheet in front of me and people still claimed their figure was correct when I told them it wasn't.

And clubs and agents play games.  Peterborough seem to do all their business via the media.  Maybe that works for them and keeps their fans happy but it doesn't mean we should believe everything they say.

Just as we shouldn't automatically believe those fans who have inside information at Charlton.  Not because they are lying but because what they hear is often only one side or part of the story, often 2nd or 3rd hand plus things can change very quickly.  I welcome the news and please keep it coming but don't bet your house on it. Quite often info is leaked to fans or to journalists for a reason.

So chill out, whatever will be will be.

There is only one true, confirmed, absolute definitive source of transfer news and it's not twitter, facebook, Linkedin, Whatsapp or even Charlton Life; It's the official site.
    ...Forgot your closing line Henry...WIOTOS...😉
  • Transfers move slowly or very quickly, they fall through and can then be revived.  People and clubs change their minds or try to squeeze a few extra quid at the last minute or someone better suddenly becomes available.

There are so many parts that needs to fall into place EG the player, the agent, their family, the two clubs, other clubs, fees, the EFL, wages, status, location, manager, length of contract, injuries, personalities, budget, etc etc.

When people say "Just get the deal done" or "why is it taking so long?" they are ignoring that complexity. 

At the same time there is a lot of guess work in the media and on forums,  Wages and fees are estimated/guessed and more than often exaggerated.   Once upon a time I had access to the Charlton wage structure.  People would tell me that player X was on £X pw.  I literally had the spreadsheet in front of me and people still claimed their figure was correct when I told them it wasn't.

And clubs and agents play games.  Peterborough seem to do all their business via the media.  Maybe that works for them and keeps their fans happy but it doesn't mean we should believe everything they say.

Just as we shouldn't automatically believe those fans who have inside information at Charlton.  Not because they are lying but because what they hear is often only one side or part of the story, often 2nd or 3rd hand plus things can change very quickly.  I welcome the news and please keep it coming but don't bet your house on it. Quite often info is leaked to fans or to journalists for a reason.

So chill out, whatever will be will be.

There is only one true, confirmed, absolute definitive source of transfer news and it's not twitter, facebook, Linkedin, Whatsapp or even Charlton Life; It's the official site.
    ...Forgot your closing line Henry...WIOTOS...😉
    I swear he’s trying to destroy CL because of the promote thing! 😂
  • Not a hugely reliable source but this place reporting we’re in the lead for Coventry https://therealefl.co.uk/2024/01/08/exclusive-charlton-athletic-ahead-in-hunt-for-23-year-old/
  • thenewbie said:
    redbuttle said:

Yeah that is what it seemed like, not sure what 'DMAC' had to gain from that though at the time other than attention.

This JCH link seems a lot more genuine but the 10k a week offer has me a bit perplexed, I can't imagine we have that kind of money

If he was a free agent maybe it would make more sense to trump people and with it being a 'free', with us allegedly bidding just about half a million and paying that, surely we have used our budget on one player? 

Interesting few weeks ahead 
    That or one of our mystery money men has had a word with Charlie and Co. (or vice versa) and a bit more money has been pumped in. 

The JCH, Gillesphey and Coventry deals all still seem to be runners (albeit not set in stone yet) and all will involve substantial fees (by L1 levels) - there's no way we could complete all 3 on a shoestring and even selling both CBT and Dobson wouldn't balance the books entirely.

Speculation on my part but either this is all bullshit and its loanees and frees all the way OR we're working on a higher budget than initially believed.

The eating of the pudding is in the proof etc
    Well we know it isn't bullshit as we know we've had bids accepted for these players. So maybe the owners have realised that it probably wasn't smart to spend 12m on a club and then sit and watch it slump towards league 2.
    Such is my guess but as has been pointed out, intention is one thing, success is another. We might have a bit more money than some suggested but players like JCH, Coventry etc are likely to be relatively in demand so it's not guaranteed we will actually sign them.

I am encouraged by what seems to be happening that there are people involved who do intend to make Charlton successful. The problem is, so was Sandgaard when he started out and look how that ended...
  • fenaddick said:
    Not a hugely reliable source but this place reporting we’re in the lead for Coventry https://therealefl.co.uk/2024/01/08/exclusive-charlton-athletic-ahead-in-hunt-for-23-year-old/
    Supposedly we’ve offered a better fee and financial package than Sheffield Wednesday so on that basis we’re ahead. League status might not be such an important issue given Wednesday’s current relegation situation. Location also I’d imagine gives us an advantage for the lad too. On the down side I think there might be one or two other Championship clubs and league one clubs keeping a weather eye on Connor and with three weeks of the window still remaining I’d expect us to face quite stiff competition. 
  • New day, new week ahead. 

Catching up this morning there were just too many posts about other posters. It’s ugly. If someone is winding you up, how hard is it just to ignore and scroll past? Or if it’s a certain poster you can’t entertain, don’t read it in the first place?

Come on, let’s have a better week please. Thanks 
    could you of not put this in a more light hearted way ?