Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Any truth JCH is having a medical with us tomorrow?
    Where have you heard that? As of yesterday, not true but could've things could've advanced since then. 🤞
  • Any truth JCH is having a medical with us tomorrow?
    If they’ve managed to agree terms, we’d want the medical in as soon as. Whether he’s agreed terms is the big question.
  • edited January 7
    Some bloke on Twitter said that the medical is booked for first thing Monday. Looked like one of those wannabe journo accounts.
  • Signing players that aren't fit but are cheap really is the Charlton way of doing things the last few years. 
  • ButtleJR said:
    Any truth JCH is having a medical with us tomorrow?
    Where have you heard that? As of yesterday, not true but could've things could've advanced since then. 🤞
    Told just now JCH was at the posh game today and spent a long time with the fans chatting and taking pictures, saying goodbye? Could be clutching at straws...
  • JamesSeed said:
    to those that think people are hysterical for wondering why we haven't signed anyone yet and are concerned we could be in for a bad window, here's what it looks like to be a club who give a shit and want to at least try and turn it around: 

Clearly they've been planning for the window opening as Doucher has said you can do, we can't afford to scramble around. If we have played Port Vale and Peterborough without any new faces in, its a bit of a liberty and means there's been no actual plans in place or strategy.
    Braziliance yesterday you claimed that Carlisle owners are an example of those that ‘give a shit and have ‘clearly been planning for the window opening’ based on them making 3 signings on the 4th.

One day later we have now made 2 signings, which is actually 20% of all activity in league one so far this window. 

Would you now say that our owners ‘give a shit’ and have ‘clearly been planning for the window’?

Or would you say that your comment was not well thought out, and that your current mistrust of the ownership led you to make a baseless assumption?
    No. For starters, it's relevant to each clubs situation. They've signed players that will probably improve them, I can tell you right now that Armstrong would walk into our side at present and I really mean walk. So for context, a side sitting in 24th has signed a player that that's better than anything we will stick up top today (assuming May is injured)

You want me to get the party poppers out over a pair of low risk loans with no real track record? 

I'm just not a happy clapper, I will credit this mob when they show some ambition, until we sign a proper player for money like JCH I'll call it how it is. 

If people are happy with these tosh signings more power to them

Edit; planning for the window, are you purposely trying to wind me up with this post? 😂 They're 6 month loans where neither are guaranteed to be here next season. It's the complete opposite of a planning for next season and all the talk of experience and quality is already out of the window 
    I generally share your anxiety about the current recruitment set up, but at the same time I don’t feel I can write off signings like the two we made yesterday without seeing them play regularly first. 
    I don’t think that’s being happy clappy. 
    In my view it is mate, I've not aimed it at anyone personally but I am of the view that if you lap up what these lot say, are still finding positives about how this team is playing and still finding excuses for this manager (which I have seen) then I can't understand you as a Charlton fan.

Edit: to make it clear as well, that isn't a fig on those Charlton fans, as I have time for anyone that supports this club, I more mean I can't get on the same wave length as those particular fans as I am a lot less tolerant to us being this shit

Will we even get to see him play much? That's the big question now 
    As I said last night, he could be the best thing since sliced bread but he wont be playing 90 mins week in week out......which is what we need & what Andy Scott said we would be signing.

Just same old same old. 
    Pep has just said he will need to manage  de Bruyne mins going forward .. it’s something managers say … people take every word to seriously 
    I assume Pep hasn't just signed De Bruyne nor managing a team with just 1 win in 10.

Apart from that you're spot on.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have a feeling it will only be loans. They will go back at the end of the season. Apples will get the boot, and we don't have to keep his players. Then back on the managerial merry go round for the next one.
  • Would be very very happy if we signed Coventry but feel like the Championship interest will be too much for us to compete with. As long as we have other players in that position lined up to talk too , I'm not too worried. 
  • mendonca said:
    Some posters congratulating the Owners on throwing large sums at a potential transfer. I'd just wait a tad bit longer, as it seems a big of media play to me.
    Only media play if we actually sign him, if we miss out it’ll back fire massively 
  • mendonca said:
    Some posters congratulating the Owners on throwing large sums at a potential transfer. I'd just wait a tad bit longer, as it seems a big of media play to me.
    A big media play that's almost entirely been dictated by the Peterborough end of the deal?

Ok...
  • Have been so preoccupied with JCH chat that I have forgotten about Gillesphy’s signing. Anybody with any update? Would be good to get two perm signings in early this week and have a few debutants come next Saturday versus Peterborough. Perhaps expecting too much, but we all need a lift!
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    JHC has been offered 10k a week, apparently he is keen, but agent holding out for more. 

Coventry both us and Shef Wed have put good offers on the on the table, apparently we have offered more. 
    How can we afford that if we were struggling for FFP due to wages in the summer? hmm? 
    Plus the CBT & Dobbo contract offers must surely include salary increases. 
  • edited January 8
    Unfortunate news about Conor Coventry, but this isn't the first time we have done something like this, linked to some biggish names for our league and for it not to come to fruition. All well and good being linked but we have had that before. I understand of course he isn't Wednesdays player yet but it sounds like it may go that way.

In regards to the bid to JCH, I think we bid for Ivan Toney before for in excess of 4 million, which we didn't actually have the cash to do? 

Not accusing them of the same but we have had owners before that had us making noise and only to fall short. 

Still optimistic of course though and will have no option other than to wait to see if we get the players in we so desperately need. 
  • mendonca said:
    Very good point but some people are very malleable.  It's why political parties invest so much on social media. 

If Methven's loyal CL loyal wumao post that GFP are offering big money to big players then we might all feel sympathy for Scott et al when they fail to sign anyone but a few injured wannabes on loan. 

Just wait for the leaks about how Clarke-Harris' agent wants silly money or Coventry was lured by a Championship club. Or Doherty has close family connections in the highlands of Scotland.

Also note that the loudest sceptics and critics ( @Braziliance) eventually get rounded on despite being  committed fans and respected posters with sensible views.

Hopefully,  I am wrong and being far too cynical about Methven and GFP but it might still be prudent to be a little sceptical of some of these carefully placed posts and attacks, all playing his master's tune. 

• Sponsored links:

• mendonca said:
    Very good point but some people are very malleable.  It's why political parties invest so much on social media. 

If Methven's loyal CL loyal wumao post that GFP are offering big money to big players then we might all feel sympathy for Scott et al when they fail to sign anyone but a few injured wannabes on loan. 

Just wait for the leaks about how Clarke-Harris' agent wants silly money or Coventry was lured by a Championship club. Or Doherty has close family connections in the highlands of Scotland.

Also note that the loudest sceptics and critics ( @Braziliance) eventually get rounded on despite being  committed fans and respected posters with sensible views.

Hopefully,  I am wrong and being far too cynical about Methven and GFP but it might still be prudent to be a little sceptical of some of these carefully placed posts and attacks, all playing his master's tune. 

As previously stated on an earlier post all the news has come from the Posh side.
  • There is a long way from having a bid accepted to the player signing. 2 main issues being wages and where we are in the League. Then there is the fact other clubs can step in & offer more. 
    Football works differently these days. It's not like football manager where you have a bid accepted and then find out what the player wants.

We'll have already been in touch with his agent to find out what wages he's asking for before even putting a bid in. Otherwise there's no point.

It's not as if we'd put a bid in, get it accepted and then discover he wants 15k a week. We'll have likely already sorted the terms before we bid.
  • redbuttle said:
    Unfortunate news about Conor Coventry, but this isn't the first time we have done something like this, linked to some biggish names for our league and for it not to come to fruition. All well and good being linked but we have had that before. I understand of course he isn't Wednesdays player yet but it sounds like it may go that way.

In regards to the bid to JCH, I think we bid for Ivan Toney before for in excess of 4 million, which we didn't actually have the cash to do? 

Not accusing them of the same but we have had owners before that had us making noise and only to fall short. 

Still optimistic of course though and will have no option other than to wait to see if we get the players in we so desperately need. 
    Don't think we bid at all. It was all a fairy tale made up by MacAnthony and his new mate Southall.
    Cawley tweeted yesterday we have had a bid accepted didnt he? Don’t think he gets his info from MacAnthony
  • So two fees agreed with MG and JCH but no deals. Is that strange? I would think wages would be discussed very early on with agents. 
    Is it the players holding out for more/other offers as it’s early January, or us not stumping up the wages? 
  • There is a long way from having a bid accepted to the player signing. 2 main issues being wages and where we are in the League. Then there is the fact other clubs can step in & offer more. 
    Football works differently these days. It's not like football manager where you have a bid accepted and then find out what the player wants.

We'll have already been in touch with his agent to find out what wages he's asking for before even putting a bid in. Otherwise there's no point.

It's not as if we'd put a bid in, get it accepted and then discover he wants 15k a week. We'll have likely already sorted the terms before we bid.
    100% this. The player would have also shown an interest in joining as well, but he can also be interested in other clubs as well, then it is will come down to the players preference, and that would be a number of factors. 

For me personally, I would rather we spent the JCH money on someone different - this would be very much trying to get the fans onside signing. 
  • edited January 8
    Valley11 said:
    So two fees agreed with MG and JCH but no deals. Is that strange? I would think wages would be discussed very early on with agents. 
    Is it the players holding out for more/other offers as it’s early January, or us not stumping up the wages? 
    No idea what's going on with MG but why is it strange for JCH?

Bid was reportedly only accepted late on Thursday and the player will need to do a medical before signing. Probably no rush to get the medical done on Friday as it would've been too late for him to play at Port Vale anyway.

There's also a possibility that JCH is waiting to see if any other clubs match our bid before he signs.
  • I’d imagine he’d be asking them about game time.
    no point going there if he’s just going to be up the bench warming pecking order 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    I suspect this might come down to how much he thinks Shef Wed will be in the championship next season and if he wants to stay closer to home.. Finances are in our advantage from what I have heard. 

I understand we have moved for another left footed CB, I have no details on the identity of the player.. The gent from Plymouth isn't dead yet, but feels like the club won't be wait around! 
    According to reports our offer better then Sheff Wed .. and we are still front runners