Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    I will be so please if JCH signs for us.  Will give me some confidence in the recruitment too.
    It would be a good sign but need backing up with other good permanent signings. Otherwise it’ll be a lot like Fraser signing a few years ago. We need to avoid leaving ourselves with too much to do in the summer and end up over relying on a few key players.
    Very true.
  • The ideal situation would be Gillesphey,JCH, Coventry and a winger on permanents. I don't mind Poveda as a loan target but I'd rather have a permanent signing if CBT does go. 

Will be interesting to see who is shifted out , can see Thomas,Louie Watson (recalled), Anderson (loan) , and possibly Mcgrandles or Fraser going. 
  • edited January 6
    Chunes said:
    LTodds_right_hook said:
    Melrose said:
    Backinson 50 + championship games
    Fiorini 15 
    Dobson 0
    Fraser 0
    Camara 0
    Anderson 0

I'm shocked and surprised 😂😂😂😂 that the Charlton life family have their pitch forks out and have judged these players before they have even kicked a ball for the club.

i do not have a clue if either player is any good or is complete shit. Either way, I'm not going to make judgement on them until I've seen them play. 

I don't think it's the actual signings per se and I'll certainly give them a chance but I think it's more the fact that Andy Scott said they were focussing on permanent signings, players with experience and players that had been playing recently. The first two signings are the polar opposite of that, especially Fiorini, so surely you can understand why many of us are sceptical.
    Things change. Coventry for example, may have turned us down, or West ham moved the goal posts and we acted quickly to get in another target before they moved elsewhere.  Part of the issue is that people expect every conversation, every target, hourly updates from the club.

Backinson has already been written off on the Backinson thread.  Is that fair?  Should that be happening?

Backinson isnt match fit - he got minutes 5 days ago
    Backinson is shit - see stats above.

People playing on Scotts every word is one thing, but slatting a player that most wouldnt recognise if ha came up to them and introduced himself is very silly in my view.
    It's not really the individual player. It's the logic behind the recruitment process. People are getting mightily tired of this, and imo, rightly so. Unfortunately the frustrations are being taken out on the plater/s
    If Backinson was our no 1 target, then I get the criticism towards Scott 

if we have missed out on a player such as Coventry and moved quickly to get a reasonable body in, then well done scott. There is still time to add to the squad and not panic loan players late in the window like the two from the summer that have already gone back to their parent clubs.

the problem is, very few people are aware of what goes on in the offices at the training ground and then jump to conclusions. With yesterday's conclusion being that we have loan signings, they must be shit.
    I haven't seen many people moaning about the quality. It's about these signings not meeting the criteria that was set out by Scott & Appleton themselves. 
    I’d get this if it was February the 1st and all we essentially did was swap our loans around, and maybe had one permanent out going and one permanent in.

Which I can see happening.

However that has simply not happened yet. Who knows how many we plan to bring in and ship out. But I don’t remember either Scott or Appleton saying that every signing was going to be a permanent.

It’s like when we were linked (not even got) with a 29, 28 and 23 year old and Golfie said ‘thought we were looking at experienced players’ or some such childish moan as that.
  • redbuttle said:
    Clarke-Harris not playing today for Peterborough either...
    Thats because they are playing tomorrow. 
    Not wrong then am I... ;)
  • If it's true then I'd be very happy.

Regardless of what's been said he should almost guarantee goals.
  • PWADDICK said:

Meltdown when it’s a loan fee that’s been agreed
    Happy days, fingers crossed we get it over the line I think that can spur on other signings aswell. Let’s finish the season strong and really go for it next season.
  • I can understand the Bakinson signing, in that he knows the division, and has played enough this season to be reasonably match fit - he's come off the bench in the last 3 Wednesday games, so shouldn't be too far off full match fitness.

Fiorini is more weird, as he hasn't played a minute this season, and it's not as if we have EFL Trophy type games to get him fit either. 
    Good point about TB ("Sheets" isn't his nickname) having played from the bench so being reasonably match fit.

Fiorini has a decent reputation and isn't, as far as we know, injured. Has he played under U21 games for City this season?

Good to see that the Tedic fiasco hasn't burnt our relationship with Man City and they are still willing to loan us players. I wonder how much of that is Scott and how much is Appleton's much touted reputation for developing youngsters at other clubs?  At least that is what we we told when he joined.

For all the data analysis and scientific recruitment good old "it's who you know" still seems to play a big part.

So two in, early - ish but loans.

We do seem overloaded in numbers in midfield if and when Taylor, Camara and SuperMac return to fitness and we're linked with Docherty and Coventry too although they may have been either/or with the two signings today.

And we don't know what will happen with Dobson yet.  Easy for his dad to placate a questioning fan with the answer he wants to hear IE "yes, he's signing a new deal", another thing entirely for the deal to be done.

The optimists will see potential in the two additions, the pessimists their flaws, the pragmatists will wait and see and the troll will be forever Colin/Bexley Boy/RonnieMoore.

Also, both these came not entirely out of the blue but we're leaked and done in 24 hours (correct me if I'm wrong but was either name mentioned before Friday morning?) so cards being played close to the chest.
     Where the chaff is concerned yes. But they are shouting from the rooftops that they are in for JCH and the like.
    Everyone else can see what's going on here right?
    Are they? Cawley said specifically around that, that not all his information comes from the Charlton side. 
     Oh yes. Because it didn't come from official lines it means it didn't come from them.
    Come on!
  • Sponsored links:

• By league one standards - May and JCH up front is like Haaland and Salah (league one standards - you get my drift). Be a total disgrace to miss the play offs with that on tap.
  • Hopefully we are reminding JCH of our fixture next weekend. I’m sure he’d love the opportunity to bag a goal or two against them…
  • Hopefully we are reminding JCH of our fixture next weekend. I’m sure he’d love the opportunity to bag a goal or two against them…
    Doubt if he will play against them somehow. Although I'd love to see it.
  • By league one standards - May and JCH up front is like Haaland and Salah (league one standards - you get my drift). Be a total disgrace to miss the play offs with that on tap.
    The majority of what’s behind them still needs major surgery.  I would say only Dobson and CBT if they stay are what I would consider players capable of promotion.  The rest I am sure people will argue “if they have better around them etc”, but for me, that remains to be seen.  
  • Appleton and JCH a combination made in hell imo.
  • Bit sceptical about JCH but we at least know that the line about funds being available wasn’t a lie. 46 goals between him and May last season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• jondon76 said:
    Appleton and JCH a combination made in hell imo.
    About time we had something about us instead of being a "nice" club.
  • It’s all well having may and jch but what formation will he play that means both play together ? Need wingers that will provide the service to them 
  • redbuttle said:
    jondon76 said:
    Appleton and JCH a combination made in hell imo.
    About time we had something about us instead of being a "nice" club.
    Haven't had anything about us in years and still haven't hence nothing to play for again only half way through the season. 
  • JCH on paper would be a good signing. Hope it happens 
  • Owners get some stick (and rightly so) but if we sign 2 of last seasons top 5 league one scorers then you can't knock the intent there.

Of the other 5 - Chaplin is in the championship, Bishop at the league leaders and McGoldrick is 36 and went to Notts County where he started his career.
  • Mike said:
    Unless they think we are in real danger of going down what's the point in paying big money for someone now who is out of contract in the summer
    I think that's the point, we are in danger of being relegated currently. One half fit striker (May), the rest are youngsters, defence concedes every game, midfield is ponderish.
    If we lose today we could fall a few more places towards the dreaded drop zone, so I'm hoping AS and Co have recognised that and want to get JCH or someone like him in ASAP. No club is too big to go down, including us unfortunately!
  • Mike said:
    Unless they think we are in real danger of going down what's the point in paying big money for someone now who is out of contract in the summer
    Because we'd have more competition for him in the summer.

Even if we don't make the play offs this season, it's imperative we start to build a side that can compete for promotion next season and having him and May would certainly help us do that. That's a 45-50 goal partnership if they stay fit.
  • It’s all well having may and jch but what formation will he play that means both play together ? Need wingers that will provide the service to them 
    May on the wing of course.