Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers: Saturday 23rd September 2023: KO 3:00

Comments

• edited September 2023
    Some of the markings for the defence are an embarrassment. We won 3-1 and there only shot on target was a good goal. 

And Louis Watson...showed for the ball and got stuck on, yeah misplaced a couple but to gets 5s is a joke. Honestly have a fucking look at yourselves.
    Leuth said:
    Someone just gave my beloved, Terell Thomas, 4 on Player Marks, so I'm probably going to be extremely aggressive for the rest of the thread. The guy was enormous today ffs
    Isted: 6.5. Good at collecting set pieces today.  not completely convinced about his shot stopping

Wow...the guy didn't have a save to make....
    It would appear the Post-Match thread is now the Players' Marks - Discuss thread.
  • Major said:
    cafc_se7 said:
    swordfish said:
    3-1 totally flattered us . Wycombe looked like a decent side . When they equalised there looked like only one team was going to win and it wasn’t us but thanks to a scuffed shot and a brilliant individual goal from CBT, I can go home happy . 
    Still lots of work to do. The right back Abankwah was pony again and when Watson came on to replace him , we looked far more assured . 
    COYR!

Don't know why this got two lol's, was exactly how I saw it.
    Bring the lols on ! Those who gave me them know I’m right they just didn’t have the intelligence to see it ! 😂
    Why can't you make allowances. 'Abankwah was pony again' could read 'yet to see the best of him in his natural position in a Charlton shirt' but no, abuse it is. Crack on!
    Beds is right.
    He was pony last week & pony today.
    He may be playing right back instead of right sided centre half, but you wouldn't want him in your Welling/Bromley etc team playing like that.
    He's a complete liability & it's not his fault but hopefully he doesn't feature again for some time. 
    I seem to recall a fair few on here calling JRS pony after his first game for us last season! 

He doesn’t get signed by Udinese and given the plaudits he gets by being pony.

I actually think he did ok in the first half, it was the second half where he struggled. Pony though? Come on, he’s a 19 year old professional, get a grip!
    Totally agree. The kid is trying to settle in. He's been developed as a centre back and now doing his best playing out of position because of our injury/fitness issues.

And there is a marked difference.

Easier to read the game as a centre back and with hopefully your flanks protected and pretty much everyrhing in front of you ( Or it should be). The move from there to full back feels a much more isolated position, with balls over the top, down the wing, dealing with speedy wingers, or two on one overlaps, etc.

Expecting him to adapt in a couple of weeks at his age is ludicrous. So, let's cut him some slack.

Besides, despite the spite, was he responsible for the only goal against us today?
    Out of interest, did you see the game?

I hope he comes good, but there have been sloppy lapses and poor passes in his 2 games so far. 
    Oh God. He's not human, is he?
  • First first half was decent. Interesting to use TC where he did and I think he showed some glimpses of promise in that position, particularly when he had space. At times the ball into his feet was too easy to be taken off him but he will learn.
    Jones had his best game for us. Thomas did well at left back. Isted dealt with their late crosses well. 
    They were only dangerous from set pieces and apart from the goal and the header that hit the bar there was little threat.
    Good subs from Appleton - when Camara and Fraser are back we have a very decent squad.
    Early days but positive signs.
    Was actually thinking that as well. Fraser, Camara, McGrandles (don't laugh), Edun and Chem Campbell (although he was a sub) all didn't feature today.

Admittedly highly unlikely they'll all be fit at the same time, but if they are we have a decent squad that should be play off contenders.

Defence still worries me though and i think we'd definitely have to look for reinforcements in January.
    You forgot Charlie Kirk🤣

I like the look of Louie Watson. He looks like a young Mark Kinsella. But he is young. 

I’d hope that we can offload McG, and Kirk in Jan. And I think Fraser has to make a case why we shouldn’t offload him too to help pay for a decent defender who is captain material. I don’t know what’s wrong with Hector, but right now he’s more a Naby Sarr on a bad day than a Jason Pearce. Definitely not captain material.  And it does seem that Ness has gone backwards, but some decent coaching will hopefully fix that. 
    Easy to do, even when he's playing.

Seriously, what is it with Kirk?  We obviously saw something there to want to sign him, he went on loan to a team in a higher division - how often does that happen?  Yet he is mostly somewhere between poor and awful for us.
  • https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/12968419/charlton-3-1-wycombe-wanderers-league-one-highlights

Wycombe goal 52 seconds in. Hell of a strike as Campbell has already got out to put pressure on him.
    It was a very good strike but it was the side of the goal where the keeper was standing and he didn't move

im undecided on whether the keeper was
    poor or whether it was just a very good strike
  • Sponsored links:

• Smithy said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Delighted with the win and really happy about how much influence the last set of substitutions made. Appleton got a lot of credit with me for that.

But for me, he didn't set the team up in the way that suited that team he put out. I feel that it would have had far more threat and balance with Campbell out wide and Leaburn down the middle where they are both more comfortable. The goal even came from those players being in their more natural positions. Both players put in a decent shift, but I just felt we would have been better.

We won so it's all great. Just thought we'd have looked stronger against this Wycombe team with that set up.
    Have to disagree with that, I think Leaburn is actually much more suited to playing on the right. He’s a big guy but he’s so good with the ball at his feet it sometimes feels like a waste of his talent having his back to the defenders. Give him the ball running towards the opposition and he’s more effective in my opinion.
    You may be right, but I just feel he was a little bit lost out there and the ball wasn’t being held up in the middle as well as it could have been. 

I think Leaburn is our most talented player and in league 1 he should be in that middle showing off all the skills he’s capable of, holding the ball up, flicking it on to May, taking it past players, linking up with May on the ground, getting on the end of crosses and above all just scoring goals. 

Either way it’s wonderful to see him fit again as we need to enjoy him in a Charlton shirt while we have him.
  • We’re a definite work in progress in a whole number of different ways, so picking up wins that might not be flattering is really important so that we don’t get ourselves too far behind the play off positions. 

There’s lots of work to be done with this team, but with additions now on board and if everyone could do a spiritual dance or something that we get a bit of better luck with injuries, there is everything still to play for here
    A few people saying "work to be done" etc. Funny, because I can't remember the last time we had a manager where performances actually improved over time (or indeed after the much vaunted full week's training before a match!).

It's always an uptick in performances with the new manager bounce, then it tails off. Let's see this time.
  • edited September 2023
    How do we become real contenders at this level? For me we sort the defence out which I think we have the players to do and whilst yesterday wasn't perfect, nor last Saturday, it feels like we are getting there. If you can get there without losing and indeed, like yesterday, winning all the better. Attacking wise, we suddenly look close to where we want to be. In midfield we can currently compete, with Camara and Fraser to come back which will elevate us into the top L1 midfields. 

Basically, you can see the path to success. Of course, this is Charlton and we often find the fork in that path that leads nowhere, but if we can stay on it and get players back without losing any key ones, I think we have cause to be reasonably optimistic. I think next Saturday is quite a big game as a win and we will be firmly going in the right direction. Confidence levels that were/are a bit fragile will be less so.
  • Anyone else think Isted might have dived for their goal ? I know it went through bodies 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Anyone else think Isted might have dived for their goal ? I know it went through bodies 
    Probably didnt even see it coming - So many bodies in the way
  • wmcf123 said:
    Anyone else think Isted might have dived for their goal ? I know it went through bodies 
    I think he saves it if Campbell doesn't come out to block it. Of course it was what Campbell should have done and maybe he could have done it a bit better but as a result, Isted couldn't see the ball so can't really be balmed for the goal.
  • Regarding Chucks it's not a surprise he's only lasting twenty, it's his second minutes in around 10 months.

Love AM passion.

People saying about MA playing players out of position or system. MA seems a different level to DH tactically.  Maybe he has us set up a certain way to nullify the opposition.  He can adjust the system accordingly too. Not going to criticise anyone after a 3-1 win against a in form Wycombe side 
  • Sponsored links:

• Regarding Chucks it's not a surprise he's only lasting twenty, it's his second minutes in around 10 months.

Love AM passion.

People saying about MA playing players out of position or system. MA seems a different level to DH tactically.  Maybe he has us set up a certain way to nullify the opposition.  He can adjust the system accordingly too. Not going to criticise anyone after a 3-1 win against a in form Wycombe side 
    It feels like the step up we made from Slade to Robinson to me. I’m not saying Holden was as bad as Slade and he was lovely, but Appleton seems to have a lot more about him.  Whether he’s the answer remains to be seen 
  • that was a game we would have lost a few weeks ago,no heads went down when we conceded,just picked themselves  up and won the game.Lots of good performances,CBT unplayable at times,(got to sort his contract out)midfield tidy,and energetic.Defence 50% fine,Thomas and Jones brilliant,The other two well,a bit dodgy Hector looks like he is treading in treacle ,frightens me,the other lad is young and looked a bit lost,will reserve judgement but he never hid and always wanted the ball.Subs were good and all at the right time(not something we are used to)Plenty of optimism after this,6 points from next two games and we will be up there.
  • Leuth said:
    What is this bizarre consensus that Hector was rubbish, btw? He defended really quite well? Yeah, he's not the quickest, and he was subbed off because he was exhausted, but he didn't really screw up much except one clearance?
    Ok. Let’s assume that was the reason.

So could you then explain how come our most experienced defender, who had a pre-season, of sorts, is “exhausted” after 65 minutes? 

Appleton said post match that he's been working them really hard in training to get their fitness up, that will have an effect on the next match. A few players were cramping up too. Plus Wycombe had just bought on a rapid forward so the safe option is to have fresh legs against him
  • wmcf123 said:
    Watching the sky highlights I think so, it looked close to him.

watching the goal again from the footage by @Braziliance, which was from the other side of the ground, I'm not sure.

It went like a rocket but he moved his head and watched it. If he can do that, why not stick out an arm.

as is said, I'm not sure. Any goalkeepers on here with a view?
  • To be fair to Holden, Appleton has his full compliment of Strikers whereas Holden usuall only had one established one.
    That will remain a frustration for the whole season. We had so much time to bring in a backup for Leaburn. Things would look very different. 
  • Entertaining game , defence much better, Jones the standout , CBT some player for us and generally  a good win.
    Shame we didn’t move up the table much with these 3 points 
    Appleton didn’t acknowledge the crowd at the end , perhaps it’s not his style , walked off with his arm round the Wycombe goalie. Did well with the substitution’s and set up though