Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers: Saturday 23rd September 2023: KO 3:00

Comments

• swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    Smithy said:
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    3-1 totally flattered us . Wycombe looked like a decent side . When they equalised there looked like only one team was going to win and it wasn’t us but thanks to a scuffed shot and a brilliant individual goal from CBT, I can go home happy . 
    Still lots of work to do. The right back Abankwah was pony again and when Watson came on to replace him , we looked far more assured . 
    COYR!

Don't know why this got two lol's, was exactly how I saw it.
    Bring the lols on ! Those who gave me them know I’m right they just didn’t have the intelligence to see it ! 😂
    Why can't you make allowances. 'Abankwah was pony again' could read 'yet to see the best of him in his natural position in a Charlton shirt' but no, abuse it is. Crack on!
    Beds is right.
    He was pony last week & pony today.
    He may be playing right back instead of right sided centre half, but you wouldn't want him in your Welling/Bromley etc team playing like that.
    He's a complete liability & it's not his fault but hopefully he doesn't feature again for some time. 
    I'm sure the feedback will be appreciated and prove invaluable to his confidence and development as a Charlton player.
    Why are you so against people providing their views on the performance of a player? Nobody is being abusive, nobody is writing him off, they’re just saying what they see. 
    Original poster said he was pony. Not why he thought that. Fine if people explain their views but he didn't. Others have. When another poster described him as he as a dickhead, he got annoyed they didn't say why, which I thought a shade hypocritical tbh.

I also believe players are aware of what people post on social media, and saying someone is pony is insulting. He's our player FFS. It's possible to be constructively critical without using one word put downs.
    Oh dear. The reason i said he was pony was because his passing was erratic. He looked reluctant to go forward and overall he just looked way out of his depth. Plus point was he wasn't as bad as he was at Stevenage.
    I agree he shouldn't be being played out of position as he looks nervous but to say that me criticising him on here won't do his confidence any good is way over estimating my influence on the player !
    I didn't say he'd be likely to read it on here. I don't use Twitter myself, but I'll bet there's abusive comment on there, although it seems that opinions are divided on here as to how he played today. The marks so far suggest not so good. Thanks for the explanation. 👍
    I see you've made no comment on the game yourself. 
    Did you watch the game? 
    I did not, relying on the threads and media to keep me informed as to what's going on. I can't comment on what I haven't seen, which is why I don't. Some posts are more informative than others, and if a player is criticised for underperforming, it helps to be told where they came up short. Delighted with the three points today regardless of how achieved.
  • Delighted with the win and really happy about how much influence the last set of substitutions made. Appleton got a lot of credit with me for that.

But for me, he didn't set the team up in the way that suited that team he put out. I feel that it would have had far more threat and balance with Campbell out wide and Leaburn down the middle where they are both more comfortable. The goal even came from those players being in their more natural positions. Both players put in a decent shift, but I just felt we would have been better.

We won so it's all great. Just thought we'd have looked stronger against this Wycombe team with that set up.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Delighted with the win and really happy about how much influence the last set of substitutions made. Appleton got a lot of credit with me for that.

But for me, he didn't set the team up in the way that suited that team he put out. I feel that it would have had far more threat and balance with Campbell out wide and Leaburn down the middle where they are both more comfortable. The goal even came from those players being in their more natural positions. Both players put in a decent shift, but I just felt we would have been better.

We won so it's all great. Just thought we'd have looked stronger against this Wycombe team with that set up.
    Have to disagree with that, I think Leaburn is actually much more suited to playing on the right. He’s a big guy but he’s so good with the ball at his feet it sometimes feels like a waste of his talent having his back to the defenders. Give him the ball running towards the opposition and he’s more effective in my opinion.
  • cafctom said:
    Tedic is one of those players, who in three matches of seeing him, hasn’t touched the ball or done that much besides a scuffed goal.

But there’s just something about him that tells me he’s decent. Can’t put my finger on it. 
    And getting the penalty in the previous game. 
  • edited September 2023
    That certainly was a golden delicious result, for the lads, I hope our season starts now, if we can tighten up on defence and start to keep clean sheets, we might be onto something, 6 points off of the play offs, we just need to keep grinding out results.
  • swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    Smithy said:
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    3-1 totally flattered us . Wycombe looked like a decent side . When they equalised there looked like only one team was going to win and it wasn’t us but thanks to a scuffed shot and a brilliant individual goal from CBT, I can go home happy . 
    Still lots of work to do. The right back Abankwah was pony again and when Watson came on to replace him , we looked far more assured . 
    COYR!

Bring the lols on ! Those who gave me them know I’m right they just didn’t have the intelligence to see it ! 😂
    Why can't you make allowances. 'Abankwah was pony again' could read 'yet to see the best of him in his natural position in a Charlton shirt' but no, abuse it is. Crack on!
    Beds is right.
    He may be playing right back instead of right sided centre half, but you wouldn't want him in your Welling/Bromley etc team playing like that.
    He's a complete liability & it's not his fault but hopefully he doesn't feature again for some time. 
    I'm sure the feedback will be appreciated and prove invaluable to his confidence and development as a Charlton player.
    Why are you so against people providing their views on the performance of a player? Nobody is being abusive, nobody is writing him off, they’re just saying what they see. 
    Original poster said he was pony. Not why he thought that. Fine if people explain their views but he didn't. Others have. When another poster described him as he as a dickhead, he got annoyed they didn't say why, which I thought a shade hypocritical tbh.

I also believe players are aware of what people post on social media, and saying someone is pony is insulting. He's our player FFS. It's possible to be constructively critical without using one word put downs.
    Oh dear. The reason i said he was pony was because his passing was erratic. He looked reluctant to go forward and overall he just looked way out of his depth. Plus point was he wasn't as bad as he was at Stevenage.
    I agree he shouldn't be being played out of position as he looks nervous but to say that me criticising him on here won't do his confidence any good is way over estimating my influence on the player !
    I didn't say he'd be likely to read it on here. I don't use Twitter myself, but I'll bet there's abusive comment on there, although it seems that opinions are divided on here as to how he played today. The marks so far suggest not so good. Thanks for the explanation. 👍
    I see you've made no comment on the game yourself. 
    Did you watch the game? 
    I did not, relying on the threads and media to keep me informed as to what's going on. I can't comment on what I haven't seen, which is why I don't. Some posts are more informative than others, and if a player is criticised for underperforming, it helps to be told where they came up short. Delighted with the three points today regardless of how achieved.
    Thanks, that explains a lot. 
  • cafctom said:
    Tedic is one of those players, who in three matches of seeing him, hasn’t touched the ball or done that much besides a scuffed goal.

But there’s just something about him that tells me he’s decent. Can’t put my finger on it. 
    He has that x factor you want in any striker: an instinct for movement. He doesn't appear to have much else to his game, but that's the thing you want most. Chuks almost put him through earlier and he knew exactly where and when to move. He's going to look rubbish and score loads of goals. League One Inzaghi
  • edited September 2023
    Talal said:
    Still haven't seen Isted make a save. I'm assuming he's getting the nod as his distribution is better than AMB?

3-1 flattered us - Wycombe need some decent forwards.
    I thought he'd made one at the time but turns out it was blocked. Six games now but there wasn't much he could do today, was never likely to save the goal. Took a few crosses well. 
    It was well hit no doubt about it but it was from outside the box & he just stood & watched it. He just looked flat footed, if the ball is dropping to a player shaping to welly it he should be on his toes. I said he looked dodgy after the millwall friendly though I did say it was early days but suggested maybe that's why he had only played 20 odd games in his league career but got criticised & told that he was outstanding while on loan for barnsley last season. Shame that he didn't sign for Barnsley then. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Smithy said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Delighted with the win and really happy about how much influence the last set of substitutions made. Appleton got a lot of credit with me for that.

Have to disagree with that, I think Leaburn is actually much more suited to playing on the right. He’s a big guy but he’s so good with the ball at his feet it sometimes feels like a waste of his talent having his back to the defenders. Give him the ball running towards the opposition and he’s more effective in my opinion.
    The problem I see is you play wider, you make different runs. The naturalness of the position and the space behind and touch line will see him at various points stretching more to get outside, get behind etc. And I see a massive risk of hamstrings and other strains. It’s not a natural position for someone’s his size and stature. @Sage will know more than me on this and I may well be talking rubbish. 

It’s not a negative, Miles is a proper class act with the ball and will be going to a higher level than us very soon.
  • Talal said:
    Still haven't seen Isted make a save. I'm assuming he's getting the nod as his distribution is better than AMB?

3-1 flattered us - Wycombe need some decent forwards.
    I thought he'd made one at the time but turns out it was blocked. Six games now but there wasn't much he could do today, was never likely to save the goal. Took a few crosses well. 
    It was well hit no doubt about it but it was from outside the box & he just stood & watched it. He just looked flat footed, if the ball is dropping to a player shaping to welly it he should be on his toes. I said he looked dodgy after the millwall friendly though I did say it was early days but suggested maybe that's why he had only played 20 odd games in his league career but got criticised & told that he was outstanding while on loan for barnsley last season. Shame that he didn't sign for Barnsley. 
    Basically the approach he took trying to avert Stevenage’s goal the other week too! 
  • edited September 2023
    With the squad we have, despite only "dinosaurs" playing it - we have to play 4-4-2 so we can get CBT, Leaburn and May into the side. 

I dream of a commanding goalkeeper and center half in the January transfer window  
  • I think Tedic might have scored (the wonder goal) with his first touch.
    Rare to see the referee overrule the assistant (correctly) for that Tyreece corner.
    Good and necessary win, and if we win at Shrewsbury next Saturday that will recover two points from our eight point deficit.
  • I actually thought being in the middle exposed TCs lightweight nature but did well to get an assist - not sure that 
  • Leuth said:
    What is this bizarre consensus that Hector was rubbish, btw? He defended really quite well? Yeah, he's not the quickest, and he was subbed off because he was exhausted, but he didn't really screw up much except one clearance?
    Ok. Let’s assume that was the reason.

So could you then explain how come our most experienced defender, who had a pre-season, of sorts, is “exhausted” after 65 minutes? 

• Sponsored links:

• Some of the negative comments are as always a matter of opinions.
    we were the best team overall and yes we did not start the second half as well as the first, however 
    our  new manager did what he is paid for changed three players and went 442, then we improved and we were worthy winners,
    also Wycombe were assisted on several occasions by one of the worst referees I have seen here in years, has was a total WANKER 👍👍🤣🤣. COYRs.
  • Southbank said:
    Defence is still porous. The centre backs do not command the area and the boy from Udinese is too raw. Maybe T Watson will make some difference.
    But some of our attacking play is very good and we look dangerous going forward. If Appleton can improve the defence we should be able to climb the table.
    Oh and although Isted's handling was good he did not make one save. Has he made one since he got in the first team?
    What should he have saved?
    He had no chance with the goal. 
    The ball went in 2 feet to his left and he did not move. Last week he stood still too when he let one in. Maybe he was unsighted but I genuinely cannot remember a single save he has made since he has been in the side..
    His handling was very good today and some of his kicking.
    But his main job is to make saves.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Valley11 said:
    We’ve got some proper strange fans. Unbeaten in 3 and a thumping win at home in the sun, and still the little digs and spiteful comments.
    Enjoy the win people. We as a fanbase know more than most that when the sun shines you bask in it. 
    You can’t expect people not to analyse the game with a critical eye, even after a win. Would be a pretty dull thread if we didn’t. I celebrated Corey’s goal like it was a last second winner, but I still left the Valley thinking we’re very much a work in progress. 
    Work in progress is fine but we deserved that win...no more, no less.
    Which is what I said in a previous post. 👍
  • What happened at the Blackwall tunnel , my mrs and couple of the kids were in the car for 2 hours before turning around at gone 3pm .
    i was busy playing a cricket friendly with my eldest son skippering for the first time in an adult match .

brilliant scoreline to see , Michael Appletons my man , I have faith in him and a couple of the players .

eieieio 

• It did flatter us. 
    4 of us sitting together would all have been happy with a point for most of the 2nd half. 

What about all of the first half, and 50% of the second half, would you and your 3 friends of been  happy with a point then!...we won 3-1, and deserved to be at least 2 up on the balance of play at half time, agreed we stumbled a bit at the start of the second half, but that was the only point in the game that they had any real hold on the game, so no 3-1 didn't flatter us, maybe it flattered Wycombe...now there's another idea...🤔 
    It wasn’t ‘we stumbled a bit at the start of the second half’ it was for the first 25/30 minutes at the start of the second half. After they equalised there looked to be only one winner and it wasn’t us. 
  • I'd like to see Corey and Dobbo sign new deals soon, think that would show real intent that we're working on something long term here 
    I think we’d all like that but I can’t see it happening. More likely they leave in January or we lose them next summer for nothing. From their point of view I’m sure they will wait to see what league we will be in next season before committing themselves.
  • cafc_se7 said:
    swordfish said:
    COYR!

Beds is right.
    I seem to recall a fair few on here calling JRS pony after his first game for us last season! 

He doesn’t get signed by Udinese and given the plaudits he gets by being pony.

I actually think he did ok in the first half, it was the second half where he struggled. Pony though? Come on, he’s a 19 year old professional, get a grip!
    Totally agree. The kid is trying to settle in. He's been developed as a centre back and now doing his best playing out of position because of our injury/fitness issues.

And there is a marked difference.

Easier to read the game as a centre back and with hopefully your flanks protected and pretty much everyrhing in front of you ( Or it should be). The move from there to full back feels a much more isolated position, with balls over the top, down the wing, dealing with speedy wingers, or two on one overlaps, etc.

Expecting him to adapt in a couple of weeks at his age is ludicrous. So, let's cut him some slack.

Besides, despite the spite, was he responsible for the only goal against us today?
  • Major said:
    cafc_se7 said:
    swordfish said:
    COYR!

Beds is right.
    I seem to recall a fair few on here calling JRS pony after his first game for us last season! 

He doesn’t get signed by Udinese and given the plaudits he gets by being pony.

I actually think he did ok in the first half, it was the second half where he struggled. Pony though? Come on, he’s a 19 year old professional, get a grip!
    Totally agree. The kid is trying to settle in. He's been developed as a centre back and now doing his best playing out of position because of our injury/fitness issues.

And there is a marked difference.

Easier to read the game as a centre back and with hopefully your flanks protected and pretty much everyrhing in front of you ( Or it should be). The move from there to full back feels a much more isolated position, with balls over the top, down the wing, dealing with speedy wingers, or two on one overlaps, etc.

Expecting him to adapt in a couple of weeks at his age is ludicrous. So, let's cut him some slack.

Besides, despite the spite, was he responsible for the only goal against us today?
    Out of interest, did you see the game?

I hope he comes good, but there have been sloppy lapses and poor passes in his 2 games so far.