Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers: Saturday 23rd September 2023: KO 3:00

Comments

• A good win, but 3-1 flattered us. Leaburn on the right wing!!!, when we need somebody alongside May. TC advanced midfield!!!! Abankwah out of position, and clearly not ready. I'll reserve judgement on Appleton for the moment
  • edited September 2023

I see Micky Apples getting tactical praise and you can’t argue with subs making a difference, but if we hadn’t have got the Tedic goal we would have had been properly under the cosh for the last ten as Aneke was blowing after 20 mins running and we were one up front then, we would have proper invited them on in injury time. Delighted Apples has got a home win to get 

At the end of the day though the sun shone, I lost my voice, I celebrated the win like a Champions League one and we left The Valley happy that those b***ards won’t be miserably ruining my life for at least another 7 days. 

Up the Addicks 
    You can’t tell with Chuks. He often looks laboured until the ball comes to him. It part of his schtick. He’s never going to be an Alfie May though.
  • Scored Abankwah low because he was repeatedly hustled off the ball, and think the 1 shot on target was misleading because we allowed a free header first half that was a great chance, and we looked shaky on that side in particular. Not writing him off, he was played out of position, but today neither he nor Hector were very good. And neither was Anderson when he came on. 
  • swordfish said:
    Smithy said:
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    3-1 totally flattered us . Wycombe looked like a decent side . When they equalised there looked like only one team was going to win and it wasn’t us but thanks to a scuffed shot and a brilliant individual goal from CBT, I can go home happy . 
    Still lots of work to do. The right back Abankwah was pony again and when Watson came on to replace him , we looked far more assured . 
    COYR!

Don't know why this got two lol's, was exactly how I saw it.
    Bring the lols on ! Those who gave me them know I’m right they just didn’t have the intelligence to see it ! 😂
    Why can't you make allowances. 'Abankwah was pony again' could read 'yet to see the best of him in his natural position in a Charlton shirt' but no, abuse it is. Crack on!
    Beds is right.
    He was pony last week & pony today.
    He may be playing right back instead of right sided centre half, but you wouldn't want him in your Welling/Bromley etc team playing like that.
    He's a complete liability & it's not his fault but hopefully he doesn't feature again for some time. 
    I'm sure the feedback will be appreciated and prove invaluable to his confidence and development as a Charlton player.
    Why are you so against people providing their views on the performance of a player? Nobody is being abusive, nobody is writing him off, they’re just saying what they see. 
    Original poster said he was pony. Not why he thought that. Fine if people explain their views but he didn't. Others have. When another poster described him as he as a dickhead, he got annoyed they didn't say why, which I thought a shade hypocritical tbh.

I also believe players are aware of what people post on social media, and saying someone is pony is insulting. He's our player FFS. It's possible to be constructively critical without using one word put downs.
    Oh dear. The reason i said he was pony was because his passing was erratic. He looked reluctant to go forward and overall he just looked way out of his depth. Plus point was he wasn't as bad as he was at Stevenage.
    I agree he shouldn't be being played out of position as he looks nervous but to say that me criticising him on here won't do his confidence any good is way over estimating my influence on the player !
    I didn't say he'd be likely to read it on here. I don't use Twitter myself, but I'll bet there's abusive comment on there, although it seems that opinions are divided on here as to how he played today. The marks so far suggest not so good. Thanks for the explanation. 👍
  • Sponsored links:

• swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    Smithy said:
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    3-1 totally flattered us . Wycombe looked like a decent side . When they equalised there looked like only one team was going to win and it wasn’t us but thanks to a scuffed shot and a brilliant individual goal from CBT, I can go home happy . 
    Still lots of work to do. The right back Abankwah was pony again and when Watson came on to replace him , we looked far more assured . 
    COYR!

Don't know why this got two lol's, was exactly how I saw it.
    Bring the lols on ! Those who gave me them know I’m right they just didn’t have the intelligence to see it ! 😂
    Why can't you make allowances. 'Abankwah was pony again' could read 'yet to see the best of him in his natural position in a Charlton shirt' but no, abuse it is. Crack on!
    Beds is right.
    He was pony last week & pony today.
    He may be playing right back instead of right sided centre half, but you wouldn't want him in your Welling/Bromley etc team playing like that.
    He's a complete liability & it's not his fault but hopefully he doesn't feature again for some time. 
    I'm sure the feedback will be appreciated and prove invaluable to his confidence and development as a Charlton player.
    Why are you so against people providing their views on the performance of a player? Nobody is being abusive, nobody is writing him off, they’re just saying what they see. 
    Original poster said he was pony. Not why he thought that. Fine if people explain their views but he didn't. Others have. When another poster described him as he as a dickhead, he got annoyed they didn't say why, which I thought a shade hypocritical tbh.

I also believe players are aware of what people post on social media, and saying someone is pony is insulting. He's our player FFS. It's possible to be constructively critical without using one word put downs.
    Oh dear. The reason i said he was pony was because his passing was erratic. He looked reluctant to go forward and overall he just looked way out of his depth. Plus point was he wasn't as bad as he was at Stevenage.
    I agree he shouldn't be being played out of position as he looks nervous but to say that me criticising him on here won't do his confidence any good is way over estimating my influence on the player !
    I didn't say he'd be likely to read it on here. I don't use Twitter myself, but I'll bet there's abusive comment on there, although it seems that opinions are divided on here as to how he played today. The marks so far suggest not so good. Thanks for the explanation. 👍
    I see you've made no comment on the game yourself. 
    Did you watch the game? 
  • edited September 2023
    Should we have any expectation to beat Wycombe convincingly? I thought most of us believe our squad isn't even top 6. (Me included). 

I really enjoyed the win today, although I agree parts of the second half were a bit painful, but Wycombe never really created much. They looked like the better unit but felt like we had the individual talents who could produce the magic. 

Watson finding Tedic... Lovely. The amount of times Clare broke free down that right hand side last season and his pass hit a defender. Tennai does it once and creates a goal.

CBT our most productive player this season. 

Leaburn brilliant in moments. I wonder what it's like watching a 6'6 opposition winger skin three of your players. 

Great result! 

We've got Apples (do do do do do)
    Ah, Micky Micky (do do do do do)
    Fraser, Leaburn and Dobbo
    Up the football league we go
  • JamesSeed said:
    Valley11 said:
    We’ve got some proper strange fans. Unbeaten in 3 and a thumping win at home in the sun, and still the little digs and spiteful comments.
    Enjoy the win people. We as a fanbase know more than most that when the sun shines you bask in it. 
    You can’t expect people not to analyse the game with a critical eye, even after a win. Would be a pretty dull thread if we didn’t. I celebrated Corey’s goal like it was a last second winner, but I still left the Valley thinking we’re very much a work in progress. 
    Work in progress is fine but we deserved that win...no more, no less.
  • Forgot that Hanlon was playing for them. Didn't notice him. Their CB Low, 17, was a giant. I wonder if that was the reason why Miles was positioned on the right wing? Thought Thomas and Jones played very well today. Miles very skilful and a great goal. Wycombes goal was a terrific hit and they went close a few times from set pieces but we didn't fold. Covered end came alive after Tedic's goal and CBT's goal was the icing on the cake. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Good chatting with you before the game @Chunes

• Good win, 3 goals scored. We looked very good for the first 15 mins and then Wycombe established themselves more. Quite even throughout tbh with us looking the better side on our up moments. 

They scored a well hit goal, could have grabbed one or two more thanks some of our usual poor defending but despite that, didnt actually feel too worried throughout. 

Really liked the look of Watson and we had a noticable drop off once he and then again when Leaburn went off, but, Super Sub Tedic and the other Watson made an impact. 

• Still haven't seen Isted make a save. I'm assuming he's getting the nod as his distribution is better than AMB?

3-1 flattered us - Wycombe need some decent forwards.
  • edited September 2023
    Best team performance of the season and definitely deserved the win. Preferred the four at the back than the three we’ve seen. Thomas was probably the stand out defensively for me, Edun has been a real let down for most of his time on the pitch so far and we felt a lot more solid down that left hand side today. 

Need to really get Leaburn and May playing along side each other, May didn’t have much to work with today and was very quiet as a result.

The Appleton revolution rolls on. 
  • Still haven't seen Isted make a save. I'm assuming he's getting the nod as his distribution is better than AMB?

3-1 flattered us - Wycombe need some decent forwards.
    I thought he'd made one at the time but turns out it was blocked. Six games now but there wasn't much he could do today, was never likely to save the goal. Took a few crosses well. 
  • Leuth said:
    What is this bizarre consensus that Hector was rubbish, btw? He defended really quite well? Yeah, he's not the quickest, and he was subbed off because he was exhausted, but he didn't really screw up much except one clearance?
    Matter of opinion I grant but though he WAS better today than he was in his previous performance I think he plays (or at the very least APPEARS to play) in a far too casual way.

Honestly he only made one real cock up but he played too many passes that could very easily have gone badly wrong, and have done in other games. 

Put it this way - if I saw (for arguments sake) Lavelle give that performance I'd probably think it was decent enough. But Hector (with his reputation) should quite honestly be doing better by his own standards.
  • edited September 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Valley11 said:
    We’ve got some proper strange fans. Unbeaten in 3 and a thumping win at home in the sun, and still the little digs and spiteful comments.
    Enjoy the win people. We as a fanbase know more than most that when the sun shines you bask in it. 
    You can’t expect people not to analyse the game with a critical eye, even after a win. Would be a pretty dull thread if we didn’t. I celebrated Corey’s goal like it was a last second winner, but I still left the Valley thinking we’re very much a work in progress. 
    Work in progress is fine but we deserved that win...no more, no less.
    We got the win because we scored the goals to win the game and for the 25 mins of domination that Wycombe had, they did not go ahead. I think people's concern on here was that in the first half our domination was being undermined by some poor defending, they were unlucky with the header off the bar, but they still went in a goal down. That second half was all Wycombe till we scored and that was in no small part due to the changes made by the Manager
     Overall, we will play better and not win three One but that first half showed how good we are going forward and if CBT, Leaburn and May turn out to be as potent as Hales, Flanagan and Powell, then bring it on despite our concerns at the back. 
  • Good chatting with you before the game @Chunes

Great to see you mate. Nice to meet your boys too. Hope to see you at the next one