Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers: Saturday 23rd September 2023: KO 3:00

Comments

• I think most people would agree we were the better side first half but needed a second goal but second half a different story and Wycombe looked most likely to get a second. Once we did score though we looked comfortable. Overall today is a positive start and we turned what could easily have been a loss into three points. On the train back to Leeds a happy man! Coyr 
  • First first half was decent. Interesting to use TC where he did and I think he showed some glimpses of promise in that position, particularly when he had space. At times the ball into his feet was too easy to be taken off him but he will learn.
    Jones had his best game for us. Thomas did well at left back. Isted dealt with their late crosses well. 
    They were only dangerous from set pieces and apart from the goal and the header that hit the bar there was little threat.
    Good subs from Appleton - when Camara and Fraser are back we have a very decent squad.
    Early days but positive signs.
    Was actually thinking that as well. Fraser, Camara, McGrandles (don't laugh), Edun and Chem Campbell (although he was a sub) all didn't feature today.

Admittedly highly unlikely they'll all be fit at the same time, but if they are we have a decent squad that should be play off contenders.

Defence still worries me though and i think we'd definitely have to look for reinforcements in January.
    And Terry Taylor. Plus Charlie Kirk  ;)
  • swordfish said:
    3-1 totally flattered us . Wycombe looked like a decent side . When they equalised there looked like only one team was going to win and it wasn’t us but thanks to a scuffed shot and a brilliant individual goal from CBT, I can go home happy . 
    Still lots of work to do. The right back Abankwah was pony again and when Watson came on to replace him , we looked far more assured . 
    COYR!

Don't know why this got two lol's, was exactly how I saw it.
    Bring the lols on ! Those who gave me them know I’m right they just didn’t have the intelligence to see it ! 😂
    Why can't you make allowances. 'Abankwah was pony again' could read 'yet to see the best of him in his natural position in a Charlton shirt' but no, abuse it is. Crack on!
    No he was not … he played well and made some very good tackles at important times 
    I can't comment on his performance and haven't. Football is a team game and he played for the winning side today, so seeing him singled out for individual criticism by way of a one word put down seemed harsh taking into account that he's bedding in.
  • First first half was decent. Interesting to use TC where he did and I think he showed some glimpses of promise in that position, particularly when he had space. At times the ball into his feet was too easy to be taken off him but he will learn.
    Jones had his best game for us. Thomas did well at left back. Isted dealt with their late crosses well. 
    They were only dangerous from set pieces and apart from the goal and the header that hit the bar there was little threat.
    Good subs from Appleton - when Camara and Fraser are back we have a very decent squad.
    Early days but positive signs.
    Was actually thinking that as well. Fraser, Camara, McGrandles (don't laugh), Edun and Chem Campbell (although he was a sub) all didn't feature today.

Admittedly highly unlikely they'll all be fit at the same time, but if they are we have a decent squad that should be play off contenders.

Defence still worries me though and i think we'd definitely have to look for reinforcements in January.
    You forgot Charlie Kirk🤣

I like the look of Louie Watson. He looks like a young Mark Kinsella. But he is young. 

I’d hope that we can offload McG, and Kirk in Jan. And I think Fraser has to make a case why we shouldn’t offload him too to help pay for a decent defender who is captain material. I don’t know what’s wrong with Hector, but right now he’s more a Naby Sarr on a bad day than a Jason Pearce. Definitely not captain material.  And it does seem that Ness has gone backwards, but some decent coaching will hopefully fix that. 
  • Solidgone said:
    I find Hector a concern. At times he plays as though he’s had a toke on the pipe. For someone so experienced why is it that I feel more confident when Ness plays? A very good decision by Mr Appleton to replace Hector. 
    I still need convincing with Isted. 
    Other than that Just give Miles the ball. He has ooodles of skill. 
    I think Ness has been pretty awful for most of this season though (to be fair so has our entire defence really). But i appreciate he's still young and learning the game.
  • Feels like TC is starting to blossom into a key player. Was really good last year but can see he’s full of confidence and belief. Need to get him on a nice long contract ASAP
  • Sponsored links:

• Micky Apples red and white army!
  • Good performance, not great but good.
    Kept going after we conceded (instead of collapsing). Alfie May could be our POS , great work rate and unselfish running. Miles goal after getting it caught up in his feet showed maturity and a player learning his craft.

Lot more to do!   COYRS
  • Good overall display but would have liked to play 2 up front . I thought ABANKWAH was very poor even though he was out of position- made a number of defensive mistakes , never went forward and always passed backwards . Hopefully Watson will start next week at right back 
  • Nice to win a tight game. I do think defensively we are very vulnerable at times but so are most L1 sides
  • https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/12968419/charlton-3-1-wycombe-wanderers-league-one-highlights

Wycombe goal 52 seconds in. Hell of a strike as Campbell has already got out to put pressure on him.
  • Sponsored links:

• swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    3-1 totally flattered us . Wycombe looked like a decent side . When they equalised there looked like only one team was going to win and it wasn’t us but thanks to a scuffed shot and a brilliant individual goal from CBT, I can go home happy . 
    Still lots of work to do. The right back Abankwah was pony again and when Watson came on to replace him , we looked far more assured . 
    COYR!

Bring the lols on ! Those who gave me them know I’m right they just didn’t have the intelligence to see it ! 😂
    Why can't you make allowances. 'Abankwah was pony again' could read 'yet to see the best of him in his natural position in a Charlton shirt' but no, abuse it is. Crack on!
    Beds is right.
    He was pony last week & pony today.
    He may be playing right back instead of right sided centre half, but you wouldn't want him in your Welling/Bromley etc team playing like that.
    He's a complete liability & it's not his fault but hopefully he doesn't feature again for some time. 
    I'm sure the feedback will be appreciated and prove invaluable to his confidence and development as a Charlton player.
    Why are you so against people providing their views on the performance of a player? Nobody is being abusive, nobody is writing him off, they’re just saying what they see. 
  • swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    COYR!

Beds is right.
    He was pony last week & pony today.
    He may be playing right back instead of right sided centre half, but you wouldn't want him in your Welling/Bromley etc team playing like that.
    He's a complete liability & it's not his fault but hopefully he doesn't feature again for some time. 
    I'm sure the feedback will be appreciated and prove invaluable to his confidence and development as a Charlton player.
    How dare a fan say what he sees and give his opinion on a players performance.
  • There was every sign we were going to see our trademark fragility take over but instead we sorted ourselves out and won the game. It helps that we now have a lot of attacking options. I thought our strength was going to be our midfield but Fraser and Camara are big losses. We just need to compete until they are back. Defence don't look right yet but I thought Jones had a strong game and I can see that aspect improving. The main negative is Dobbo is one booking away from a suspension. We really need him at this time.
  • He looked out of position but I thought he improved as the game went on.
  • edited September 2023
    i don't need to justify why the scoreline flattered us - it just did. At 1-1 we were being run ragged at times and just because the keeper didn't have many saves to make is irrelevant.  It's my opinion ( and others who have agreed with me)
  • edited September 2023
    i don't need to justify why the scoreline flattered us - it just did. At 1-1 we were being run ragged at times and just because the keeper didn't have many saves to make is irrelevant.  It's my opinion ( and others who have agreed with me)
    Ahh okay...thanks for clearing that up 😂

If you're offended then I apologise but your opinion, in this case, is wrong..in my opinion of course.