Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers: Saturday 23rd September 2023: KO 3:00

167891012»

Comments

• edited September 2023
    Several WW fans refer to an offside decision which I can't remember

"The "offside" given for a player not remotely troubling play was a shocking decision, but we lost our heads and gifted them a third."

"And yes the officials had a brain fart on the GMac moment but prior to that the ref had been pretty good with letting play go. Did we mentally switch off as a result? " 

Was at 2-1(92nd min) I believe it was the immediate attack before we went and got the 3rd as their manager was still ranging by the time CBT scored. Think this incident was the reason why their coach was booked after the CBT goal.

Offside was given against the first player who was deemed to be interfering with play. I believe he moved the ball and then stopped before Mccleary ran on to the ball. 
  • edited September 2023

"The "offside" given for a player not remotely troubling play was a shocking decision, but we lost our heads and gifted them a third."

"And yes the officials had a brain fart on the GMac moment but prior to that the ref had been pretty good with letting play go. Did we mentally switch off as a result? " 

That was a poor decision tbf. Was in line with it and neither the player who eventually left it, nor the player who eventually went for it, were offside, although the first guy was very close. "Not remotely troubling play" is crap, though, he went for the ball, then realised his mate was less likely to be offside and ultimately left it, which is when he got flagged.

Edit: and the ref didn't book Phillips for diving, Phillips got up and swore at him, could hear him from the stand! Ref booked him for dissent. 
  • another comment from WW fan

"Probably fair to admit Charlton have a very good squad, should be doing much better".
    Easy to say when the injuries smashed us early on.
  • JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    .seth plum said:
    If we win at Shrewsbury that will equate to four points from four away games. On target in terms of away games if your target is to win every home game and draw every away game.

94 points.

The win at Shrewsbury hasn’t happened, but in my view it must.

The problem that would remain after a win at Shrewsbury if it happens is the six points dropped at home to Bristol Rovers and Port Vale.

Those six points would require winning three away games in addition to a win at Shrewsbury.

That means winning at Derby, Lincoln and Wigan and being back on track by 31st October. All whilst winning each home game.

The billionaires who sacked Holden presumably did it because they share the same aspirations as me, and like me now expect Appleton to deliver those wins, otherwise why lose money by sacking Holden?

I suppose those Billionaires might not give a damn about results but hope to recoup money by selling off any assets we might have. If that’s the case they can eff off as far as I’m concerned.

For Appleton to be judged a success in my eyes he has to build on his solitary win so far and win the next eight matches (yes eight) and then we can go away to Portsmouth in good heart.

I wonder if we could club together and buy you a different drum to bang on. 🤔
    I am open to suggestions as to how to get the 94 points some other way.
    Win games, cut out as many defeats as possible, but don’t set unrealistic targets that pile extra pressure on players and the manager.

[Edit: Seth can’t put pressure on the team or manager obvs 😂. I was speaking more as a general fanbase. If we all had Seth’s expectation it would turn very toxic very quickly.]

Unfortunately I’m led to believe that history tells us that we’ve already lost about as many games this season that would suggest automatics would be statistically highly unlikely. But of course we’ll go in to each match hoping and trying to win it. That’s all we can ask. 
    Whoever said that the other day was wrong.
    You can lose more than 4 games and still get automatic promotion.
    30 wins, 12 draws and 4 defeats = 102 points.
    (Not that we will go undefeated from now on).

• edited September 2023
    I can't see two teams running away with it this season. You have to take that into account as some seasons you need more points than others. I don't think it is helpful, when you have a poor start, looking at the table. Just think in terms of runs. We have 7 points from 9 now, if we win on Saturday it will be 10 from 12. That will constitue a good run, then I think we have two home games and it potentially could become a great run.

It is a cliche, but we can't run before we can walk. We need to take each game as it comes and hopefully the increased confidence and players returning will put us in a good place. 
  • Several WW fans refer to an offside decision which I can't remember

Was at 2-1(92nd min) I believe it was the immediate attack before we went and got the 3rd as their manager was still ranging by the time CBT scored. Think this incident was the reason why their coach was booked after the CBT goal.

Offside was given against the first player who was deemed to be interfering with play. I believe he moved the ball and then stopped before Mccleary ran on to the ball. 
    I distinctly remember there being a foul on one of our players down the covered end before Wycombe went up the other end and got the corner? It certainly seemed a foul. 

I mentioned it in the post match thread, it was a shocking decision. If it had happened to us we’d still be jumping up and down now and rightly so, it was that bad. Most here won’t remember it because it didn’t happen to us but the game went from possibly 2-2 to immediately 3-1. 

I mentioned it in the post match thread, it was a shocking decision. If it had happened to us we’d still be jumping up and down now and rightly so, it was that bad. Most here won’t remember it because it didn’t happen to us but the game went from possibly 2-2 to immediately 3-1. 
    Yeah, but 3-1 definitely didn't flatter us as a number of posters told me  :)
  • Sponsored links:

Yeah, but 3-1 definitely didn't flatter us as a number of posters told me  :)

Quite right too...but let's not get back into that one, we will all be deleted...🙄
  • ladies and gents, it's up.

Absolutely buzzing with that result, short & sweet; Appleton subs made a difference, CBT is the best winger in this league, Tennai Watson looked rapid, Wycombe couldn't cope with us on the wings (cheers Corey) and on a game that could have swung either way, we took the lead and didn't look back. 

COME ON YOU ADDICKS!!!

happy weekend lifers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXdrEYQx6dI
    One of the lad's you interviewed early on was wearing a shirt which advertised Cherry Red Records.

As a dinosaur I had to google them as I wondered if they had any connection to Tony McPhee of the Groundhogs who had a big hit with Cherry Red in 1970 ish?

Two things:- 
    (1) I have not since logged on to CL without seeing an ad for Cherry 'kin Red Records.

(2) yes they are connected - for a very long explanation see below.

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/the-cherry-red-story/

• Rob said:
    seth plum said:
    If we win at Shrewsbury that will equate to four points from four away games. On target in terms of away games if your target is to win every home game and draw every away game.

94 points.

The problem that would remain after a win at Shrewsbury if it happens is the six points dropped at home to Bristol Rovers and Port Vale.

Those six points would require winning three away games in addition to a win at Shrewsbury.

That means winning at Derby, Lincoln and Wigan and being back on track by 31st October. All whilst winning each home game.

The billionaires who sacked Holden presumably did it because they share the same aspirations as me, and like me now expect Appleton to deliver those wins, otherwise why lose money by sacking Holden?

I suppose those Billionaires might not give a damn about results but hope to recoup money by selling off any assets we might have. If that’s the case they can eff off as far as I’m concerned.

For Appleton to be judged a success in my eyes he has to build on his solitary win so far and win the next eight matches (yes eight) and then we can go away to Portsmouth in good heart.

I don’t want the lottery of play offs, I want the certainty of automatic promotion under these wise billionaires expertly wrangled by Methven.
    You really are a troll aren’t you! Do you really need the attention that much that you come up with this stuff. Why do you do it because it makes no sense. We’ve just come off a nice 3-1 win against a team on a roll with good players and this is all you can think of to post. 

I just can’t fathom what drives you to post like this. It must be for the attention/notoriety as I really can’t see what else would drive this post. I guess you feed off what you think is shock and horror but it just comes over as being very childish. 
    And you?
    Are you a superior being that assumes to sit in judgement of others, is that what you feed off?

• Welcome back, Grapevine. 

You've been missed.
    To read Grapevine49 and Sage posts is always a pleasure. 
  • cafc_se7 said:

I distinctly remember there being a foul on one of our players down the covered end before Wycombe went up the other end and got the corner? It certainly seemed a foul. 
    I reminded myself by watching the full broadcast, it wasn’t a foul, it was a corner which from my angle looked like it should have been. The corner for their goal was a result of the goal kick being given instead.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Rob said:
    seth plum said:

94 points.

I don’t want the lottery of play offs, I want the certainty of automatic promotion under these wise billionaires expertly wrangled by Methven.
    You really are a troll aren’t you! Do you really need the attention that much that you come up with this stuff. Why do you do it because it makes no sense. We’ve just come off a nice 3-1 win against a team on a roll with good players and this is all you can think of to post. 

I just can’t fathom what drives you to post like this. It must be for the attention/notoriety as I really can’t see what else would drive this post. I guess you feed off what you think is shock and horror but it just comes over as being very childish. 
    Let’s be fair - if Seth can deliver eight good posts in a row (minimum of 3 points likes each) we should let him continue.
    But the total always needs to be 8 good posts after the most recent.