Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers: Saturday 23rd September 2023: KO 3:00

Comments

• Solidgone said:
    …a further worry is that Dobbo is now only 1 booking away from suspension, which he is bound to collect during the next match. Who will take his place?
    Taylor or Camara I don't think it's the crisis it would have been in the last two seasons TBH.
  • Solidgone said:
    …a further worry is that Dobbo is now only 1 booking away from suspension, which he is bound to collect during the next match. Who will take his place?
    Apples did hint that Fraser is very close...
  • Solidgone said:
    So is May
  • Solidgone said:
    Apples did hint that Fraser is very close...
    Not sure I'd want Fraser to replace Dobson in that defensive role, same for Watson and Campbell from yesterday

Taylor | Anderson | Camara are probably the best options in his stead.
  • 5 points or 2 wins away from the bottom 4 now. Let's hope we can sustain the improvement and climb the table.
  • edited September 2023
    Question for a Sunday before the North London Derby.  

When was the last time 3 Forwards scored for Charlton in the same league match ?

I find that a real positive.

• edited September 2023
    Experienced league one manager demonstrates experience in management of a league one team shock.  
  • ladies and gents, it's up.

Absolutely buzzing with that result, short & sweet; Appleton subs made a difference, CBT is the best winger in this league, Tennai Watson looked rapid, Wycombe couldn't cope with us on the wings (cheers Corey) and on a game that could have swung either way, we took the lead and didn't look back. 

COME ON YOU ADDICKS!!!

happy weekend lifers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXdrEYQx6dI
    Thanks for posting that. Much better than the sub 2 mins we get from Sky, with lots more chances for both sides. Very balanced.

Couldn't be there yesterday as I was taking my daughter to Southampton as she starts Uni next week.  Kept up to date on the way back via Talksport and Golfie Jnr WhatsApp-ing me when goals went in....but as I was driving I couldn't read the texts so was in agony at the end not knowing whether the last "ping" was 3-1 or 2-2 !!!  

Table looking better than it did 2 weeks ago but still lots to do if we are going to at least challenge the top 6. 
    Cheers Golfie,

It was a pretty balanced game imo, first half not much in it but we edged the chances and it paid off, second half I felt they were on top until we made the subs where we looked more likely & that was that. They certainly had their chances to make it 2-2 or even go 2-1 up. 

I think after 10 games we will have an idea on how this season is gonna go, luckily very few teams are showing much consistency and it's a very close league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Over 100+ minutes Wycombe had two shots on target: The wonder strike and Thomas block( Isted was in a good position and would've saved).

So Charlton critics don't you think that out of possession, we did well in achieving that ?  The answer is yes if you're still hangover.

Potential 16 man game over the marathon game time now and the 11 that plays the last 30 minutes ( including Added time) is as important as the starting 11.

Maybe just new manager bounce, but having CBT, Leaburn, and the workaholic May available to try to blend as well as Chuks, Tedic, Campbells, means we have options on the bench plus young Kanu when Aneke isn't fit ! Fraser could've a mega role to play in linking up our attacking play 🤞

Other than Nobby ice hockey coach *Vinegar or Karel basket man Fraeye, I can't think of a poorer reaction to a new head coach than Michael Appleton. 
    I continue to hope he has luck to go with coaching ability because he will need it.

* Nobby Vinegar didn't get the job because even Katrien Meire said there will be a riot if he does. I believe this was the truth !
    Very well said, I am still convinced a lot of people who were very anti Apples don't know why they were, just that they thought they should be.
    Appleton became a meme here because of the way he jumped jobs, and was always linked with vacancies. NOT because of his coaching abilities, so I never got the "anyone but Appleton" vibes, as if he was a sign of failure. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I'd like to see Corey and Dobbo sign new deals soon, think that would show real intent that we're working on something long term here 
    There's a slightly worrying quote from Scott in the FLP about Corey where he says something on the lines of wants him to play like that every week and if he does and goes on to bigger and better things, so be it. Need to make sure if that happens we have someone who can slide in and replace him.

Nothing about offering him a new deal.
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-technical-director-on-contract-talk-situation-regarding-blackett-taylor-and-dobson/
    I don't read this at all as we're not interested in extending both Corey and Dobbo's deal and that quote makes it seem like George's agent is definitely keen to talk to us, so let's keep on the positivity from yesterday and hope we got more boosting news soon, fingers crossed! 
  • Smithy said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Delighted with the win and really happy about how much influence the last set of substitutions made. Appleton got a lot of credit with me for that.

But for me, he didn't set the team up in the way that suited that team he put out. I feel that it would have had far more threat and balance with Campbell out wide and Leaburn down the middle where they are both more comfortable. The goal even came from those players being in their more natural positions. Both players put in a decent shift, but I just felt we would have been better.

We won so it's all great. Just thought we'd have looked stronger against this Wycombe team with that set up.
    Have to disagree with that, I think Leaburn is actually much more suited to playing on the right. He’s a big guy but he’s so good with the ball at his feet it sometimes feels like a waste of his talent having his back to the defenders. Give him the ball running towards the opposition and he’s more effective in my opinion.
    I've no problem with Miles playing on the right of the attack, but he was playing like an old fashioned hug the touchline right winger for much of the game, when you want him cutting into the box in the way Salah or Rashford do. Which is how he scored his goal, with TC doing the wing wizard stuff instead.

I agree that you don't want Miles just being a "big lump target man" as he's much better with his feet than his father for example. And less good at the moment as the target man anyway. When May is suspended, I can see us playing 433 with Tedic in the middle, and CBT and Miles alongside him.

• Question for a Sunday before the North London Derby.  

When was the last time 3 Forwards scored for Charlton in the same league match ?

Yesterday...

...sorry couldn't resist...🙄
  • edited September 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Over 100+ minutes Wycombe had two shots on target: The wonder strike and Thomas block( Isted was in a good position and would've saved).

So Charlton critics don't you think that out of possession, we did well in achieving that ?  The answer is yes if you're still hangover.

Potential 16 man game over the marathon game time now and the 11 that plays the last 30 minutes ( including Added time) is as important as the starting 11.

Maybe just new manager bounce, but having CBT, Leaburn, and the workaholic May available to try to blend as well as Chuks, Tedic, Campbells, means we have options on the bench plus young Kanu when Aneke isn't fit ! Fraser could've a mega role to play in linking up our attacking play 🤞

Other than Nobby ice hockey coach *Vinegar or Karel basket man Fraeye, I can't think of a poorer reaction to a new head coach than Michael Appleton. 
    I continue to hope he has luck to go with coaching ability because he will need it.

* Nobby Vinegar didn't get the job because even Katrien Meire said there will be a riot if he does. I believe this was the truth !
    Very well said, I am still convinced a lot of people who were very anti Apples don't know why they were, just that they thought they should be.
    Appleton became a meme here because of the way he jumped jobs, and was always linked with vacancies. NOT because of his coaching abilities, so I never got the "anyone but Appleton" vibes, as if he was a sign of failure. 
    Exactly, it was a 10 year old joke because he had 3 jobs in 3 months.
  • Didn't manage to watch the game yesterday but just looking at the match summary and in particular the players we brought on, and the players unavailable, can't help but think this is the most depth we've had in a long time 
  • edited September 2023
    sirjohnhumphrey said:
    Agree about May. Works his socks off. As a striker if you don’t score then the least you should do is do your job for the team in defending from the front which he did very well.
    Will always acknowledge a pass to him even if it doesn’t get to him. Doesn’t whinge or moan or throw his arms in the air in frustration.
    Really good team player.
    Who are you thinking of? A striker throwing his arms in the air and moaning, but doing nothing to help the team 🤔
  • Watching the video and the pre match chat with the Wycombe lads, who sounded ok, at least one of them predicted the right score, even said 3-1, so fair play to them!!...😂
  • edited September 2023
    ross1 said:
    sirjohnhumphrey said:
    Agree about May. Works his socks off. As a striker if you don’t score then the least you should do is do your job for the team in defending from the front which he did very well.
    Will always acknowledge a pass to him even if it doesn’t get to him. Doesn’t whinge or moan or throw his arms in the air in frustration.
    Really good team player.
    Who are you thinking of? A striker throwing his arms in the air and moaning, but doing nothing to help the team 🤔
    "Lock Stock and No Smoking Barrels"...🤔
  • Think our front wide players who ever they are  need to come inside more to stop them getting isolated especially in away games at home it seems to be ok probably because how teams set up home and away. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Question for a Sunday before the North London Derby.  

Port Vale at the end of April? Tupac, Leaburn and JRS all scored.
  • wmcf123 said:
    Anyone else think Isted might have dived for their goal ? I know it went through bodies 
    Watching the sky highlights I think so, it looked close to him.

watching the goal again from the footage by @Braziliance, which was from the other side of the ground, I'm not sure.

It went like a rocket but he moved his head and watched it. If he can do that, why not stick out an arm.

as is said, I'm not sure. Any goalkeepers on here with a view?
    He clearly saw it because, as you say, he moved his head to watch it fly in. I think he saw it late and don’t know if he could realistically have reacted fast enough to reach it, but it would’ve been nice to see him react and at least try to save it, even if it was a late dive or just sticking an arm out in hope. Instead he seemed to just freeze and hope it was going wide.

I thought he had his best game for us yesterday and made one really good catch to relieve pressure from a high ball into our box. He still hasn’t made a proper save yet though, in my opinion, and certainly has not made any really good saves. Jury is still out. 
  • LenGlover said:
    5 points or 2 wins away from the bottom 4 now. Let's hope we can sustain the improvement and climb the table.

Game in hand on top 6 and 6 points behind 
  • seth plum said:
    So far this season no goalkeeper performance has affected how many points we get out of a game.
    A proper goalkeeper helps sustain a 1-0 lead, or makes a save to stop a draw becoming a defeat.
    I can’t remember the last game when a goalkeeper of ours has won us points.
    It’s almost freakish the way Isted hasn’t made a save, or nothing of note. And yet he’s conceded a fair number of goals, without any being clearly his fault. He could have made more of an effort v. Stevenage though. 
    He’ll probably save five or six up at Shrewsbury on Saturday, according to the law of buses. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:
    So far this season no goalkeeper performance has affected how many points we get out of a game.
    A proper goalkeeper helps sustain a 1-0 lead, or makes a save to stop a draw becoming a defeat.
    It’s almost freakish the way Isted hasn’t made a save, or nothing of note. And yet he’s conceded a fair number of goals, without any being clearly his fault. He could have made more of an effort v. Stevenage though. 
    He’ll probably save five or six up at Shrewsbury on Saturday, according to the law of buses. 
    I kind of agree, I just wish he'd dive a bit more for the ones he's unsure of because despite not being at fault for conceding at times, he could have at least made an effort a for a handful of goals. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:
    I am glad someone mentioned the Stevenage goal again because I was trying to find an appropriate thread to post this on.

If you watched the NLD today both teams have a chance from a very similar angle that Stevenage scored from.  They both went near post, one hit the keeper one went into the side netting.

The both players are significantly better than Reid.  90% of players would go near post in that situation.  It really was a fantastic finish when you think about it without prejudice.
  • good win for a talented and developing team .. the season re-starts here
  • edited September 2023
  • wmcf123 said:
    Anyone else think Isted might have dived for their goal ? I know it went through bodies 
    Watching the sky highlights I think so, it looked close to him.

watching the goal again from the footage by @Braziliance, which was from the other side of the ground, I'm not sure.

It went like a rocket but he moved his head and watched it. If he can do that, why not stick out an arm.

as is said, I'm not sure. Any goalkeepers on here with a view?
    He clearly saw it because, as you say, he moved his head to watch it fly in. I think he saw it late and don’t know if he could realistically have reacted fast enough to reach it, but it would’ve been nice to see him react and at least try to save it, even if it was a late dive or just sticking an arm out in hope. Instead he seemed to just freeze and hope it was going wide.

I thought he had his best game for us yesterday and made one really good catch to relieve pressure from a high ball into our box. He still hasn’t made a proper save yet though, in my opinion, and certainly has not made any really good saves. Jury is still out. 
    A bit harsh imho.  The time from when the guy volleyed it to when it hit the back of the net must have been less than a second.  If there is any criticism is that we had all of our players back defending and we were unable to mark the guy on the edge of the box waiting for that type of opportunity.
  • Experienced league one manager demonstrates experience in management of a league one team shock.  
    I mean I know you're being sarky but to listen to some people it really WOULD be a shock given their reaction when he was appointed.

Its certainly not job done and there's areas for improvement still. It would also be worth acknowledgement that between Holden leaving and Appleton getting started a fair few injured/unfit players have since become available, and new players too.

However for all that I do like that his reaction when we were under the cosh was to bring on attacking players and try regain impetus instead of doubling down on defence trying to hold onto the one point. It won't work every time but it feels ages since we've had a manager who is actually proactive with subs and not conservative.