Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers: Saturday 23rd September 2023: KO 3:00

Comments

• Leuth said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Anyone else think Isted might have dived for their goal ? I know it went through bodies 
    Watching the sky highlights I think so, it looked close to him.

watching the goal again from the footage by @Braziliance, which was from the other side of the ground, I'm not sure.

It went like a rocket but he moved his head and watched it. If he can do that, why not stick out an arm.

as is said, I'm not sure. Any goalkeepers on here with a view?
    Yes, I've been a goalie (very amateur) for almost 30 years until recent possible-retirement. Take it from me, Isted had no chance with that one. He would have had to start diving before the guy hit it
    He had no chance with it but he never seems too angry or upset when beaten. More the 'that was always going in' swagger that can irk fans.
  • edited September 2023
    wmcf123 said:
    Anyone else think Isted might have dived for their goal ? I know it went through bodies 

watching the goal again from the footage by @Braziliance, which was from the other side of the ground, I'm not sure.

It went like a rocket but he moved his head and watched it. If he can do that, why not stick out an arm.

Watching the sky highlights its impossible to tell with any great certainty but I don't think he saw it until it went past our player, I think it was Jones, who was stood right between the shooter and the keeper about 6 yards out.   I don't think any keeper saves that TBH.
  • So far this season no goalkeeper performance has affected how many points we get out of a game.
    A proper goalkeeper helps sustain a 1-0 lead, or makes a save to stop a draw becoming a defeat.
    I can’t remember the last game when a goalkeeper of ours has won us points.
  • I'd like to see Corey and Dobbo sign new deals soon, think that would show real intent that we're working on something long term here 
    There's a slightly worrying quote from Scott in the FLP about Corey where he says something on the lines of wants him to play like that every week and if he does and goes on to bigger and better things, so be it. Need to make sure if that happens we have someone who can slide in and replace him.

Nothing about offering him a new deal.
  • mendonca said:
    Leuth said:
    wmcf123 said:

Yes, I've been a goalie (very amateur) for almost 30 years until recent possible-retirement. Take it from me, Isted had no chance with that one. He would have had to start diving before the guy hit it
    He had no chance with it but he never seems too angry or upset when beaten. More the 'that was always going in' swagger that can irk fans.
    He kicked the post in anger against Stevenage, if that's what you're looking for. 
  • I think Isted's distribution may be better than AMB's and he dealt with crosses well yesterday. No idea about shot stopping as I haven't really seen him make a save.

• I'd like to see Corey and Dobbo sign new deals soon, think that would show real intent that we're working on something long term here 
    There's a slightly worrying quote from Scott in the FLP about Corey where he says something on the lines of wants him to play like that every week and if he does and goes on to bigger and better things, so be it. Need to make sure if that happens we have someone who can slide in and replace him.

Nothing about offering him a new deal.
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-technical-director-on-contract-talk-situation-regarding-blackett-taylor-and-dobson/
  • I think Isted's distribution may be better than AMB's and he dealt with crosses well yesterday. No idea about shot stopping as I haven't really seen him make a save.

That might suggest he's not that good at it. Unless there's been nothing he could possibly lay a glove on in 6 games. 
  • Talal said:
    I think Isted's distribution may be better than AMB's and he dealt with crosses well yesterday. No idea about shot stopping as I haven't really seen him make a save.

That might suggest he's not that good at it. Unless there's been nothing he could possibly lay a glove on in 6 games. 
    Must be a reason why he keeps being selected?
  • 4 fit forwards in the match squad and 4 4 2  with attacking wide men scoring goals at the Valley is the way to a “fortress!”
    Heaven. 

• Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    seth plum said:
    So far this season no goalkeeper performance has affected how many points we get out of a game.
    A proper goalkeeper helps sustain a 1-0 lead, or makes a save to stop a draw becoming a defeat.
    Kiely springs to mind, now there was a keeper who won us points, not a specific game I grant you but he was phenomenal....how we could do with him at the club as goalkeeper coach.
  • Regarding Chucks it's not a surprise he's only lasting twenty, it's his second minutes in around 10 months.

Love AM passion.

People saying about MA playing players out of position or system. MA seems a different level to DH tactically.  Maybe he has us set up a certain way to nullify the opposition.  He can adjust the system accordingly too. Not going to criticise anyone after a 3-1 win against a in form Wycombe side 
    Presumably Leaburn on the right was seen as a better support/shield to Awankwah than Tyreece. 
  • seth plum said:
    So far this season no goalkeeper performance has affected how many points we get out of a game.
    Kiely springs to mind, now there was a keeper who won us points, not a specific game I grant you but he was phenomenal....how we could do with him at the club as goalkeeper coach.
    Philips, Amos and Rudd all won us points.
  • seth plum said:
    I can certainly remember Dillon Phillips making a difference.
    There have probably been others since Kiley, but such a thing hasn’t seemed to have happened for ages.
  • PWR

The result and performance: great 3 points and we deserved the win although I thought 3-1 flattered us a bit.

The goals: two extremely well worked goals made by TC and Tennai Watson and a brilliant solo effort from Corey.

The manager: Can't argue with the results so far and I like the way he seems able to shake things up and use the bench to influence the game. He seems pretty shrewd.

The keeper: I really can't see why Isted is being preferred to AMB. He didn't have a lot to do yesterday but he doesn't inspire confidence with his positioning, footwork, distribution.

The defence - much more solid. Jones is settling in now and is forging a decent partnership with Hec. I've not been a fan of Tyrell Thomas but he was extremely good yesterday, in my view our best player on the day. Abankwah looked what he is, a raw, high potential talent filling in out of position. Tennai Watson looked very good and added an attacking threat down the right.

The midfield - we badly miss Scott Fraser.

The attack - really good to suddenly have so many options. Would still like to see two up top. Alfie is wasted in an attacking midfield role.

The traffic - fuck off closing the Blackwall Tunnel you bastards. Gridlocked is much of the surrounding area.
  • wmcf123 said:

I think Isted had a very decent game and caught the ball a lot to keep us out of trouble. Reacted well the whole game and distributed the ball well.

Got to remember with shots like that one, the player knows he's doing it a second before and Isted roughly needs a second to process what's happening. You could argue be could have had an idea the player was doing it, but with that many players and options around there's too many possibilities. I don't think any keeper in the world saves that shot in those circumstances. It was a proper rocket and better keepers have conceded tamer shots from that range..

I'd stick with him in net as both the last two goals conceded have been very tricky and he's been fairly confident otherwise.
  • edited September 2023
    ladies and gents, it's up.

Absolutely buzzing with that result, short & sweet; Appleton subs made a difference, CBT is the best winger in this league, Tennai Watson looked rapid, Wycombe couldn't cope with us on the wings (cheers Corey) and on a game that could have swung either way, we took the lead and didn't look back. 

COME ON YOU ADDICKS!!!

happy weekend lifers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXdrEYQx6dI
    I'm a you tube star. I'm walking down floyd road when you are interviewing mullet haired Wycombe fans 

im in it 3 times. That's made my weekend 👏🏻 
    He had a cracking barnet that lad, the confidence to pull off a mullet. They were a fun bunch to talk to tbf, off camera had a great chat with a few of them. It's really good to hear about teams I haven't a clue about from their fans and hear their views on our players. 

How did you manage to get in the vid 3 times, do I sit near you or something?  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Enjoyed Tedic’s Simon Church impersonation with his shot 
  • fenaddick said:
    I think Appleton has instilled some tactical belief in the players. As others have said, when we conceded before our heads went down and things fell apart. With the benefit of 2 games under a different manager, it feels like the team believe more in the tactics and are being shown patterns of play that they know will work. Weirdly I think Appleton as head coach to do the tactics and Holden as assistant to help with the mentality would have been a great combo

Think I prefer Appleton on his own. What mentality would Holden help with? We were collapse merchants under Holden.
  • edited September 2023
    Over 100+ minutes Wycombe had two shots on target: The wonder strike and Thomas block( Isted was in a good position and would've saved).

So Charlton critics. Don't you think that out of possession, we did well in achieving that ?  The answer is yes if you're still hangover.

Potential 16 man game over the marathon game time now and the 11 that plays the last 30 minutes ( including Added time) is as important as the starting 11.

Maybe just new manager bounce, but having CBT, Leaburn, and the workaholic May available to try to blend as well as Chuks, Tedic, Campbells, means we have options on the bench plus young Kanu when Aneke isn't fit ! Fraser could've a mega role to play in linking up our attacking play 🤞

Other than Nobby ice hockey coach *Vinegar or Karel basket man Fraeye, I can't think of a poorer reaction to a new head coach than Michael Appleton. 
    I continue to hope he has luck to go with coaching ability because he will need it.

* Nobby Vinegar didn't get the job because even Katrien Meire said there will be a riot if he does. I believe this was the truth !
  • Thought jones was very dominant at back today 
    T Thomas still underrated. The  most
    consistent defender this season imo and noticeable that CBT 2 best performances yesterday and against orient Thomas was behind him. 
    Think Leaburn out wide can work as his good with his feet. He can also pin the normally smaller fullback. Getting crosses to the far post could see Leaburn scoring a lot of headers against the full back like stockley did to us the other week. 
    Love Mays commitment too. He held ball up brilliantly for redux goal. 
    Great result could of easily gone other way. 
    but credit to the team 
  • Over 100+ minutes Wycombe had two shots on target: The wonder strike and Thomas block( Isted was in a good position and would've saved).

So Charlton critics don't you think that out of possession, we did well in achieving that ?  The answer is yes if you're still hangover.

Potential 16 man game over the marathon game time now and the 11 that plays the last 30 minutes ( including Added time) is as important as the starting 11.

Maybe just new manager bounce, but having CBT, Leaburn, and the workaholic May available to try to blend as well as Chuks, Tedic, Campbells, means we have options on the bench plus young Kanu when Aneke isn't fit ! Fraser could've a mega role to play in linking up our attacking play 🤞

Other than Nobby ice hockey coach *Vinegar or Karel basket man Fraeye, I can't think of a poorer reaction to a new head coach than Michael Appleton. 
    I continue to hope he has luck to go with coaching ability because he will need it.

* Nobby Vinegar didn't get the job because even Katrien Meire said there will be a riot if he does. I believe this was the truth !
    Very well said, I am still convinced a lot of people who were very anti Apples don't know why they were, just that they thought they should be.
  • seth plum said:
    ‘…when kicking the ball out, aim for the bloke in the third row of the stand…’
  • …a further worry is that Dobbo is now only 1 booking away from suspension, which he is bound to collect during the next match. Who will take his place?