Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers: Saturday 23rd September 2023: KO 3:00

Comments

• edited September 2023
    thenewbie said:
    Experienced league one manager demonstrates experience in management of a league one team shock.  
    I mean I know you're being sarky but to listen to some people it really WOULD be a shock given their reaction when he was appointed.

Its certainly not job done and there's areas for improvement still. It would also be worth acknowledgement that between Holden leaving and Appleton getting started a fair few injured/unfit players have since become available, and new players too.

However for all that I do like that his reaction when we were under the cosh was to bring on attacking players and try regain impetus instead of doubling down on defence trying to hold onto the one point. It won't work every time but it feels ages since we've had a manager who is actually proactive with subs and not conservative.
    Yup. After the breast beating "not my manager" hysteria turns out he has some ability after all.
  • Entertaining game , defence much better, Jones the standout , CBT some player for us and generally  a good win.
    Shame we didn’t move up the table much with these 3 points 
    Appleton didn’t acknowledge the crowd at the end , perhaps it’s not his style , walked off with his arm round the Wycombe goalie. Did well with the substitution’s and set up though 
    Must have had your eyes closed, mate

I saw him clapping  as he looked towards us in the Curbs Stand but just checked & Mr F confirmed it .
    I believe in fanny.
  • We might be in the playoffs zone if we didn't play Welling in pre season!
  • Entertaining game , defence much better, Jones the standout , CBT some player for us and generally  a good win.
    Shame we didn’t move up the table much with these 3 points 
    Appleton didn’t acknowledge the crowd at the end , perhaps it’s not his style , walked off with his arm round the Wycombe goalie. Did well with the substitution’s and set up though 
    Must have had your eyes closed, mate

I saw him clapping  as he looked towards us in the Curbs Stand but just checked & Mr F confirmed it .
    I believe in fanny.
    There's no answer to that...🙄
  • Major said:
    Major said:
    cafc_se7 said:
    swordfish said:
    3-1 totally flattered us . Wycombe looked like a decent side . When they equalised there looked like only one team was going to win and it wasn’t us but thanks to a scuffed shot and a brilliant individual goal from CBT, I can go home happy . 
    Still lots of work to do. The right back Abankwah was pony again and when Watson came on to replace him , we looked far more assured . 
    COYR!

Don't know why this got two lol's, was exactly how I saw it.
    Bring the lols on ! Those who gave me them know I’m right they just didn’t have the intelligence to see it ! 😂
    Why can't you make allowances. 'Abankwah was pony again' could read 'yet to see the best of him in his natural position in a Charlton shirt' but no, abuse it is. Crack on!
    Beds is right.
    He was pony last week & pony today.
    He may be playing right back instead of right sided centre half, but you wouldn't want him in your Welling/Bromley etc team playing like that.
    He's a complete liability & it's not his fault but hopefully he doesn't feature again for some time. 
    I seem to recall a fair few on here calling JRS pony after his first game for us last season! 

He doesn’t get signed by Udinese and given the plaudits he gets by being pony.

I actually think he did ok in the first half, it was the second half where he struggled. Pony though? Come on, he’s a 19 year old professional, get a grip!
    Totally agree. The kid is trying to settle in. He's been developed as a centre back and now doing his best playing out of position because of our injury/fitness issues.

And there is a marked difference.

Easier to read the game as a centre back and with hopefully your flanks protected and pretty much everyrhing in front of you ( Or it should be). The move from there to full back feels a much more isolated position, with balls over the top, down the wing, dealing with speedy wingers, or two on one overlaps, etc.

Expecting him to adapt in a couple of weeks at his age is ludicrous. So, let's cut him some slack.

Besides, despite the spite, was he responsible for the only goal against us today?
    Out of interest, did you see the game?

I hope he comes good, but there have been sloppy lapses and poor passes in his 2 games so far. 
    Oh God. He's not human, is he?
    So you didn't go then?
  • Sage said:
    I'd like to see Corey and Dobbo sign new deals soon, think that would show real intent that we're working on something long term here 
    I think we’d all like that but I can’t see it happening. More likely they leave in January or we lose them next summer for nothing. From their point of view I’m sure they will wait to see what league we will be in next season before committing themselves.
    Completely agree and see what you’re saying. But to me, this is where Scott earns his money. If we are serious and the ownership are genuine and want promotion. You at least protect your assets first and show intent.

We have 3 months to sort out contracts before the window opens and who knows what then. We should be doing all we can to make sure they know how important they are to us. 
    I don't disagree I the slightest but...

We have a handful of outfield adult players contracted to next season it's a very fine balance between building and being in the championship with a load of contracted players that aren't fit for purpose.

I appreciate that this is mainly for Dobson and CBT but if it's "shit or bust", which some are suggesting it might be a case of signing 1 or 2 players in January, rather than signing existing players to long contracts.  If it gives us a better chance at promotion.

Not saying its right, just that it might be more likely.  We should be doing both if they are serious.
  • edited September 2023
    Dobson and Corey are both very good L1 players but they’re not irreplaceable for a club of our stature.

Players move on all the time. If we don’t get promoted, which is looking more likely than we’d like atm, and they have Championship offers then it’ll be very hard to hold onto them.

Where Scott will earn his money is either getting them signed up to new deals OR in finding replacements that are as good as, if not better than, them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    I don’t think you’ll find two players better than Dobbo and CBT in League One for what they do and bring to the team specifically. Replacements will mean the make up of the team changes and currently, we know what they bring and how good they are at it when playing well, which both have done so far this season.

There are a number of players contracted beyond this season, but there’s also a number of key players that aren’t. We need to shift some of the ones in contract, sign up ones like Dobbo and CBT and add similar quality across the pitch.

On a side note… one signing I can see happening in January, depending on how Ipswich are doing, is signing Camara on a permanent deal and getting in another loan player. Appleton has said about his record of signing great loans, and this one makes sense to me.
    Not sure I'd want to sign Camara on a permanent if I'm honest. 
    Not questioning his ability as he's very good at this level. 
    But I've had enough of injury prone players and he seems another one.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Over 100+ minutes Wycombe had two shots on target: The wonder strike and Thomas block( Isted was in a good position and would've saved).

So Charlton critics don't you think that out of possession, we did well in achieving that ?  The answer is yes if you're still hangover.

Potential 16 man game over the marathon game time now and the 11 that plays the last 30 minutes ( including Added time) is as important as the starting 11.

Maybe just new manager bounce, but having CBT, Leaburn, and the workaholic May available to try to blend as well as Chuks, Tedic, Campbells, means we have options on the bench plus young Kanu when Aneke isn't fit ! Fraser could've a mega role to play in linking up our attacking play 🤞

Other than Nobby ice hockey coach *Vinegar or Karel basket man Fraeye, I can't think of a poorer reaction to a new head coach than Michael Appleton. 
    I continue to hope he has luck to go with coaching ability because he will need it.

* Nobby Vinegar didn't get the job because even Katrien Meire said there will be a riot if he does. I believe this was the truth !
    Very well said, I am still convinced a lot of people who were very anti Apples don't know why they were, just that they thought they should be.
    Appleton became a meme here because of the way he jumped jobs, and was always linked with vacancies. NOT because of his coaching abilities, so I never got the "anyone but Appleton" vibes, as if he was a sign of failure. 
    I assumed it was because he looked so scarey / scared in that picture - so far he’s looking like the perfect appointment 👏
  • I like Leaburn playing wider. He has the skill to beat a man and to turn in on goal. He is more of a Lyle Taylor, mobile striker than a back to goal hold up striker.
  • If we win this week, will Appleton get manager of the month?

• Regarding Chucks it's not a surprise he's only lasting twenty, it's his second minutes in around 10 months.

Love AM passion.

People saying about MA playing players out of position or system. MA seems a different level to DH tactically.  Maybe he has us set up a certain way to nullify the opposition.  He can adjust the system accordingly too. Not going to criticise anyone after a 3-1 win against a in form Wycombe side 
    Presumably Leaburn on the right was seen as a better support/shield to Awankwah than Tyreece. 
    Interesting, I did notice from East stand 2nd half Abankwah looked inside to Dobbo  to pass to. Must have happened a few times for me to notice. Can't remember one down the line
  • Sage said:
    I don’t think you’ll find two players better than Dobbo and CBT in League One for what they do and bring to the team specifically. Replacements will mean the make up of the team changes and currently, we know what they bring and how good they are at it when playing well, which both have done so far this season.

There are a number of players contracted beyond this season, but there’s also a number of key players that aren’t. We need to shift some of the ones in contract, sign up ones like Dobbo and CBT and add similar quality across the pitch.

On a side note… one signing I can see happening in January, depending on how Ipswich are doing, is signing Camara on a permanent deal and getting in another loan player. Appleton has said about his record of signing great loans, and this one makes sense to me.
    Injury record? A fit Camara is wonderful
  • Sponsored links:

• I would simplify it. For us it is about runs. If we put a run of three or four wins together, where would that leave us? If we win the game we have in hand on most of the top clubs we are three points behind 6th place and six points behind top. We can see from the table that this is a league where teams will take points from each other, Pompey who are unbeaten have drawn four. Stevenage are the only side who have been beaten less than two times. I don't think they will be up there at the end. It is early days and still all to play for. What we need to see is continuous improvement from us and with the squad we have, and the league we are in, this has to be a possibility with a fair wind.
  • JamesSeed said:
    .seth plum said:
    If we win at Shrewsbury that will equate to four points from four away games. On target in terms of away games if your target is to win every home game and draw every away game.

94 points.

The win at Shrewsbury hasn’t happened, but in my view it must.

The problem that would remain after a win at Shrewsbury if it happens is the six points dropped at home to Bristol Rovers and Port Vale.

Those six points would require winning three away games in addition to a win at Shrewsbury.

That means winning at Derby, Lincoln and Wigan and being back on track by 31st October. All whilst winning each home game.

The billionaires who sacked Holden presumably did it because they share the same aspirations as me, and like me now expect Appleton to deliver those wins, otherwise why lose money by sacking Holden?

I suppose those Billionaires might not give a damn about results but hope to recoup money by selling off any assets we might have. If that’s the case they can eff off as far as I’m concerned.

For Appleton to be judged a success in my eyes he has to build on his solitary win so far and win the next eight matches (yes eight) and then we can go away to Portsmouth in good heart.

I wonder if we could club together and buy you a different drum to bang on. 🤔
    I am open to suggestions as to how to get the 94 points some other way.
  • There are lots of ways to get them, especially at this early stage. But ultimately it would involve winning games, home or away.
  • I’ve read a few people say we switched formation during the match.

I thought we played 4-2-3-1 all game.
  • edited September 2023
    Good points about Camara, but the bad injury last season did see him have 3 operations. His body will only change from such invasive surgery, especially aiming to return to the tough and physical rigors of being a professional footballer. I hope he can be eased in when fit, as we have some good options/cover in midfield.
  • There are lots of ways to get them, especially at this early stage. But ultimately it would involve winning games, home or away.
    There probably are lots of ways to get those points.
    I have suggested a way in specific terms.
    I get mocked for doing so because I link it to what I believe should be the only focus of the manager, and for suggesting that the manager would be a failure for not achieving the points for automatic promotion however good he is supposed to be ‘working with young players’.
    I find that aspect of his appointment sinister, as if automatic promotion isn’t the overriding priority because we can farm youngsters.
    Not everybody shares my view, but how many wouldn’t want automatic promotion this season?
  • Anderson struggled when he came on, needs a break out of the team imo. I was impressed by both Watson's though - both looked tidy.