Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers: Saturday 23rd September 2023: KO 3:00

Comments

• edited September 2023
  • edited September 2023
    seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    .seth plum said:
    If we win at Shrewsbury that will equate to four points from four away games. On target in terms of away games if your target is to win every home game and draw every away game.

94 points.

The win at Shrewsbury hasn’t happened, but in my view it must.

The problem that would remain after a win at Shrewsbury if it happens is the six points dropped at home to Bristol Rovers and Port Vale.

Those six points would require winning three away games in addition to a win at Shrewsbury.

That means winning at Derby, Lincoln and Wigan and being back on track by 31st October. All whilst winning each home game.

The billionaires who sacked Holden presumably did it because they share the same aspirations as me, and like me now expect Appleton to deliver those wins, otherwise why lose money by sacking Holden?

I suppose those Billionaires might not give a damn about results but hope to recoup money by selling off any assets we might have. If that’s the case they can eff off as far as I’m concerned.

For Appleton to be judged a success in my eyes he has to build on his solitary win so far and win the next eight matches (yes eight) and then we can go away to Portsmouth in good heart.

I wonder if we could club together and buy you a different drum to bang on. 🤔
    I am open to suggestions as to how to get the 94 points some other way.
    Win games, cut out as many defeats as possible, but don’t set unrealistic targets that pile extra pressure on players and the manager.

[Edit: Seth can’t put pressure on the team or manager obvs 😂. I was speaking more as a general fanbase. If we all had Seth’s expectation it would turn very toxic very quickly.]

Unfortunately I’m led to believe that history tells us that we’ve already lost about as many games this season that would suggest automatics would be statistically highly unlikely. But of course we’ll go in to each match hoping and trying to win it. That’s all we can ask. 
  • Sage said:
    I don’t think you’ll find two players better than Dobbo and CBT in League One for what they do and bring to the team specifically. Replacements will mean the make up of the team changes and currently, we know what they bring and how good they are at it when playing well, which both have done so far this season.

There are a number of players contracted beyond this season, but there’s also a number of key players that aren’t. We need to shift some of the ones in contract, sign up ones like Dobbo and CBT and add similar quality across the pitch.

On a side note… one signing I can see happening in January, depending on how Ipswich are doing, is signing Camara on a permanent deal and getting in another loan player. Appleton has said about his record of signing great loans, and this one makes sense to me.
    The thing is though, there's a lot of players out there who would fit the bill, it's just a case of the scouting team being able to identify them. Go back a couple of seasons and you have in Dobson a player who had been bombed out and unwanted at a Sunderland team looking to go up but had done his job trying to keep WImbledon away from relegation. CBT had just left L2 Tranmere without doing much and had spent almost the entire summer unwanted before signing for us on a short term contract because we were desperate and not sure if it would work out. On the face of it this isn't where you'd expect to source your top level replacements but now we're talking about them as irreplaceable. The right players of the right type exist, it's all about whether Scott can identify them and offset the damage losing good players does. The players are out there though
  • I wonder if the Wycombe fan has finished eating his hat?
  • Chunes said:
    Sage said:
    I don’t think you’ll find two players better than Dobbo and CBT in League One for what they do and bring to the team specifically. Replacements will mean the make up of the team changes and currently, we know what they bring and how good they are at it when playing well, which both have done so far this season.

There are a number of players contracted beyond this season, but there’s also a number of key players that aren’t. We need to shift some of the ones in contract, sign up ones like Dobbo and CBT and add similar quality across the pitch.

On a side note… one signing I can see happening in January, depending on how Ipswich are doing, is signing Camara on a permanent deal and getting in another loan player. Appleton has said about his record of signing great loans, and this one makes sense to me.
    The thing is though, there's a lot of players out there who would fit the bill, it's just a case of the scouting team being able to identify them. Go back a couple of seasons and you have in Dobson a player who had been bombed out and unwanted at a Sunderland team looking to go up but had done his job trying to keep WImbledon away from relegation. CBT had just left L2 Tranmere without doing much and had spent almost the entire summer unwanted before signing for us on a short term contract because we were desperate and not sure if it would work out. On the face of it this isn't where you'd expect to source your top level replacements but now we're talking about them as irreplaceable. The right players of the right type exist, it's all about whether Scott can identify them and offset the damage losing good players does. The players are out there though
    But it's far from easy to replicate those kinds of signings or we'd have done it a lot more. If we lose CBT and Dobson and replace even one of with someone on a free from L2, it would be a gamble. We've seen how players do or don't workout. Maybe we'll replace Dobbo with another Gilbey who looks great on paper but doesn't do the business. 

They will both be very hard to replace. 
    I completely agree, I hate the amount of churn we have and it'll definitely require some top scouting to make sure we're still improving when our best players go, I'm just saying it's not impossible. Difficult to replace yes. Irreplaceable no.
  • JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    .seth plum said:
    If we win at Shrewsbury that will equate to four points from four away games. On target in terms of away games if your target is to win every home game and draw every away game.

94 points.

The win at Shrewsbury hasn’t happened, but in my view it must.

The problem that would remain after a win at Shrewsbury if it happens is the six points dropped at home to Bristol Rovers and Port Vale.

Those six points would require winning three away games in addition to a win at Shrewsbury.

That means winning at Derby, Lincoln and Wigan and being back on track by 31st October. All whilst winning each home game.

The billionaires who sacked Holden presumably did it because they share the same aspirations as me, and like me now expect Appleton to deliver those wins, otherwise why lose money by sacking Holden?

I suppose those Billionaires might not give a damn about results but hope to recoup money by selling off any assets we might have. If that’s the case they can eff off as far as I’m concerned.

For Appleton to be judged a success in my eyes he has to build on his solitary win so far and win the next eight matches (yes eight) and then we can go away to Portsmouth in good heart.

I wonder if we could club together and buy you a different drum to bang on. 🤔
    I am open to suggestions as to how to get the 94 points some other way.
    Win games, cut out as many defeats as possible, but don’t set unrealistic targets that pile extra pressure on players and the manager.

Unfortunately I’m led to believe that history tells us that we’ve already lost about as many games this season that would suggest automatics would be statistically highly unlikely. But of course we’ll go in to each match hoping and trying to win it. That’s all we can ask. 
    Whether my targets are realistic or unrealistic taking each game as it comes is open to debate.
    However I think is is right to pile pressure on the coaches, the manager, the players, and especially the regime to get the results for automatic promotion.

• edited September 2023
    seth plum said:
    There are lots of ways to get them, especially at this early stage. But ultimately it would involve winning games, home or away.
    There probably are lots of ways to get those points.
    I have suggested a way in specific terms.
    I get mocked for doing so because I link it to what I believe should be the only focus of the manager, and for suggesting that the manager would be a failure for not achieving the points for automatic promotion however good he is supposed to be ‘working with young players’.
    I find that aspect of his appointment sinister, as if automatic promotion isn’t the overriding priority because we can farm youngsters.
    Not everybody shares my view, but how many wouldn’t want automatic promotion this season?
    So you don't think 'working with young players’ should be necessary when we have a squad which is about 60% 23 or under and you can't do anything about it for 4 months?

How do you expect any manager to get a tune out of this squad if they can't work with young players?  He hasn't got a choice has he?  
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:
    There are lots of ways to get them, especially at this early stage. But ultimately it would involve winning games, home or away.
    I get mocked for doing so because I link it to what I believe should be the only focus of the manager, and for suggesting that the manager would be a failure for not achieving the points for automatic promotion however good he is supposed to be ‘working with young players’.
    I find that aspect of his appointment sinister, as if automatic promotion isn’t the overriding priority because we can farm youngsters.
    Not everybody shares my view, but how many wouldn’t want automatic promotion this season?
    So you don't think 'working with young players’ should be necessary when we have a squad which is about 60% 23 or under and you can't do anything about it for 4 months?

How do you expect any manager to get a tune out of this squad if they can't work with young players?  He hasn't got a choice has he?  
    No he hasn’t.
    He and the regime have landed at just the right moment to deal with what I think is an unusually good golden generation of youngsters.
    They are not unearthing nuggets, and the players have been getting games anyway. Appleton is working with players, some of who are young, that is his job. I simply feel uneasy about a possible cultural schism at the club.
    The overriding focus should be results, those things we are encouraged to judge by.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    seth plum said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:

No he hasn’t.
    He and the regime have landed at just the right moment to deal with what I think is an unusually good golden generation of youngsters.
    They are not unearthing nuggets, and the players have been getting games anyway. Appleton is working with players, some of who are young, that is his job. I simply feel uneasy about a possible cultural schism at the club.
    The overriding focus should be results, those things we are encouraged to judge by.
    So you agree that if he is good at working with young players we will shoot up the league as a direct result of it and you will shut up about having to win the next 8 games?

You were less repetitive when you wanted to buy cauliflowers with crypto.

I'll leave it there and go back to banging my head on a table, it was less painful.
  • seth plum said:
    So just to be clear, your strategy for success is to win the next 8 games....

I mean, that's groundbreaking stuff.
  • seth plum said:

The cunning plan is to win each of the next eight games one by one.

I wouldn’t advise going into the Shrewsbury game with a mindset that says it’s no biggie if we draw or lose.
  • edited September 2023
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

I wouldn’t advise going into the Shrewsbury game with a mindset that says it’s no biggie if we draw or lose.
    Your mindset/philosophy is going to have zero impact on our actual results
  • Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

If my mindset and philosophy is going to have zero impact on our results, then I am not piling on any pressure.
  • edited September 2023
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

If my mindset and philosophy is going to have zero impact on our results, then I am not piling on any pressure.
    Then what are you doing? And why does the point need to be repeated before and after every game? 
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Literally no one is suggesting that. 
  • Anderson struggled when he came on, needs a break out of the team imo. I was impressed by both Watson's though - both looked tidy. 
    To be fair, I thought he struggled for the first 10 minutes then got into the pace of the game. We have to accept this with such a young player but he isn't far off I feel.
  • edited September 2023
    There are reasons Shrewsbury is an important game. Firstly, they ought to be a team we should beat. That doesn't mean we will but it would be a good sign if we do as there are quite a few of these in our League. Secondly, it will cement a recovery and put us firmly back in the promotion mix with much of the season still to go and bring much needed confidence to the group. If we fail to win however, it will not mean we will be missing out on promotion or indeed relegation. There are too many games remaining to draw such conclusions. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Then what are you doing? And why does the point need to be repeated before and after every game? 
    Not quite that often.
    Is it irritating because I revise my target as the season progresses, or because it is me saying it, or both?
  • seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Not quite that often.
    Is it irritating because I revise my target as the season progresses, or because it is me saying it, or both?
    Not quite but almost! ;)

It's purely the repetition. 
  • There are reasons Shrewsbury is an important game. Firstly, they ought to be a team we should beat. That doesn't mean we will but it would be a good sign if we do as there are quite a few of these in our League. Secondly, it will cement a recovery and put us firmly back in the promotion mix with much of the season still to go and bring much needed confidence to the group. If we fail to win however, it will not mean we will be missing out on promotion or indeed relegation. There are too many games remaining to draw such conclusions. 
    Sort of like when we kept saying we needed to go on a run when we had Adkins & Garner.

Need to win the next game to be in touching distance.

These Shrewsbury rotters have lost 4 of their last 5 league games. They're bang out of form so we really need to go up there and stick it to em'.
  • Chunes said:
    Sage said:

But it's far from easy to replicate those kinds of signings or we'd have done it a lot more. If we lose CBT and Dobson and replace even one of with someone on a free from L2, it would be a gamble. We've seen how players do or don't workout. Maybe we'll replace Dobbo with another Gilbey who looks great on paper but doesn't do the business. 

They will both be very hard to replace. 
    I completely agree, I hate the amount of churn we have and it'll definitely require some top scouting to make sure we're still improving when our best players go, I'm just saying it's not impossible. Difficult to replace yes. Irreplaceable no.
    Exactly the sentiment I was trying to convey. It’s just the cyclical nature of football and squad building.
  • edited September 2023
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Obvs you can’t put pressure on the team or manager 😂. I was speaking more as a general fanbase. If we all had your expectation it would turn very toxic, very quickly. And we’d soon all be on the Prozac. 
  • Sometimes I like to read what the other team are saying after the event

-WW manager says 1st and 3rd goals were controversial ( didn't explain why)

glenatico on WW Gasroom

-"Charlton's wingers were a handful and they did us several times with a sort of double overlap. Both the full back getting beyond the winger, and the another central midfielder shuffling round on the overlap, gave us some real problems. They were able to use it to get to the byline and found goals from those positions. In previous games we've largely prevented that and forced teams to cross from deeper positions, which we look more comfortable with.

I thought Potts was good in general but got it all wrong for the second goal. He has to react and go with the overlapping player rather than sit with the man on the edge of the box. Poor defending.

McCleary was absolutely superb and seems to really be fired up at the moment. He consistently looks like he's going to make something happen".

Wycombe85

"I've not really been won over by Phillips yet, but I thought he did OK during his brief appearance. A clear penalty on him at the end. He lifted his leg to shoot and was clipped by the defender. Astonished the ref booked him for diving. Yes his reaction wasn't great (I thought he was going to get himself sent off), but can well understand his frustration."

• JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Obvs you can’t put pressure on the team or manager 😂. I was speaking more as a general fanbase. If we all had your expectation it would turn very toxic, very quickly. And we’d soon all be on the Prozac. 
    I am one individual fan that feels like demanding a lot from my club. Is that a stance that leads to toxicity?
    The club urges me to get a season ticket, subscribe to things, attend dinners, buy merchandise, be in Valley Gold, turn up, be vocal and so on.
    If the club demands something of me the fan, why is it inappropriate for me the fan to demand something from the club?
  • another comment from WW fan

"Probably fair to admit Charlton have a very good squad, should be doing much better".
  • Several WW fans refer to an offside decision which I can't remember

"The "offside" given for a player not remotely troubling play was a shocking decision, but we lost our heads and gifted them a third."

"And yes the officials had a brain fart on the GMac moment but prior to that the ref had been pretty good with letting play go. Did we mentally switch off as a result? "