Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Chunes said:
    He'll be doing the press conference soon. If he's been sacked (highly unlikely) expect it announced this morning latest.

Or they might just send Stephen Henderson out. 
    Serious question - what 'press' actually turn up for news on Charlton these days?

Is it not more about the club issuing a bulletin / message  / update which may or may not be looked at by any sports reporters?
  • edited January 22
    Chunes said:
    He'll be doing the press conference soon. If he's been sacked (highly unlikely) expect it announced this morning latest.

Serious question - what 'press' actually turn up for news on Charlton these days?

Is it not more about the club issuing a bulletin / message  / update which may or may not be looked at by any sports reporters?
    It's filmed by the club and put out on social media. I'm not sure if any other press turn up. If they do it would only be local.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

It's filmed by the club and put out on social media. I'm not sure if any other press turn up. If they do it would only be local. 
    Cawley tends to be there on zoom and there are sometimes other voices I don't recognise. With these things there's usually a second embargoed section we don't see too
  • Wonder what Shay Given thinks about all this?
  • ozaddick said:
    I'm not sure the board will pull the trigger yet. 
    His first 10-12 games were very decent, and then we lost chuks and leaburn. They may just give him a couple more games with the new recruits and see if he can get some of that initial form, because we were going well. 
    Two late goals made the Wycombe result better than the performance

Two late goals against Blackpool made a draw feeling like a win.

we haven't dominated, we haven't been entertaining. We definitely haven't been decent 
  • 11:00 still here
  • Any chance we can get a meme of the corner flag going?
  • Any chance we can get a meme of the corner flag going?

How about this one 😉

• Sponsored links:

• Like most I wasn't particularly enamoured by Appleton's appointment although like all managers I was prepared to give him a chance. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out and I think the time is probably right to go separate ways.

Some of the personal comments about him on this thread are completely over the top however. People criticising his appearance, referring to him as a 'useless piece of s***' etc. Is this really what we have sunk to? 

People can criticise his record ,tactics, subs etc but some of the stuff I've seen said are just personal attacks which are completely uncalled for. Do people genuinely think he has lost games on purpose? Or is the reality perhaps that like most of our managers over the last 10 years they have tried their best but for whatever reason things have not worked out. 

On the same token, before MA was appointed we genuinely had people suggesting we should go for Graham Potter, now people are suggesting Steve Cooper? I detest the fact we are in League One like every other fan but surely a reality check is needed. When you have floated around League One for about a decade then unfortunately you are fishing in a pool containing journeyman manager such as Appleton. The idea of Potter, Cooper etc even considering us is so fanciful it's bordering on delusional.

More chance of Harry, i hear he's magic!
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Foxycafc said:
    11:00 still here
    3.02pm here for those that are interested...
    22.08 here and nobody gives a toss 😊
  • I think Steve Cooper was more an example from Dubai. The wider point is we should be aiming higher and steering away from journeymen average lower league managers like Slade, Adkins, Holden and Appleton. 
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    If we go a goal down on Tuesday that is going to horrible for him. Not that he cares 
    What evidence do you have that he doesn’t care?
    Strange thing to say Croydon.🧐
     I haven't seen a shred of emotion from him since he's been here. I genuinely doubt he gives a shit
    Exactly. What Holden lacked in tactical knowledge he made up for in enthusiasm. In the end it didn’t work but at least he gave the fans something. Appleton gives me fuck all. No emotion, no enthusiasm, no like ability. He’s just dull as fuck and shit to go with it.
    That’s as maybe…..but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t care does it.
    We all have different things in our character that make us tick…..just because he is undemonstrative by nature doesn’t mean he is uncaring, which is a totally different set of emotions.
    I have come across quite a few people like that (as we all have)…..so I wouldn’t say he doesn’t care, my guess is he almost certainly does but simply doesn’t show it.
  • The first half performance against Burton was decent IMO. I also think Appleton rightly identified the problem in the secnd half. The problem I have is he didn't do anything about it (taking Thomas off who was playing forward passes and having a decent game). Also, if we are playing this system, surely it is obvious T Watson fcuks it up. He is incredibly soft, lacks pace and never beats a player and to top it all, his delivery is shit. We do have a replacement, who whilst raw, beats Watson on ever indicator. I want to see that change. Edun, i'm not sure about. Recently he has been playing in a way the position demands, but Watson, bloody hell! You can't identify the issues then leave the players causing them in the side surely? That is my test for Appleton. He has had one game with the additions where the defence and midfield can now be changed. I'd give him two or three if I was in charge.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Steve Cooper was more an example from Dubai. The wider point is we should be aiming higher and steering away from journeymen average lower league managers like Slade, Adkins, Holden and Appleton. 
    There's a reason we've had these managers, we can't attract better. Cooper is not a good example but someone like Leam Richardson would have been a realistic ambitious example before he went to Rotherham.

We were rejected by the Northampton Town and Stockport County managers last time. We aren't all of a sudden going to be able to pull in a manager who has just left a premier league club or even a manager like Eustace who will be chased by championship clubs.

The best we can really hope for is a relatively young ambitious manager who has done well at this level.
  • It's like that clip at the end of Ferris Buellers day off when he comes out of the shower and says 'you're still here? Go home, it's over'!

Can't believe there going to allow this fella another game.... Madness. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Just find it totally bizarre to give him tomorrow night. The atmosphere is going to be absolutely toxic especially if we go one down early, was very certain we'd have heard something this morning.
    That is the decision for the board, you can't ignore the fact the crowd has really turned on him. If I was Appleton, and I had Tuesday night, I would be thinking we need a special performance if I am going to keep my job. I'm sure he is not stupid enough not to know this. We are at home which can help, if the players give the fans something to get behind early on.
  • The news you want to hear is my boiler is sacked and will be taken out tomorrow and a new one installed, for an eye watering £2880 with a seven year guarantee. I hope it gets done so I can make the football and tell Appleton what I think about his results and the relegation he is heading for.
  • TEL said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Just find it totally bizarre to give him tomorrow night. The atmosphere is going to be absolutely toxic especially if we go one down early, was very certain we'd have heard something this morning.
    Toxic? I expect hardly anyone will turn up. Could be the lowest league attendance in years.
    Disagree, it's a must win game with new signings and I think a lot of folks will want to be there to make their feelings known to Appleton. 
  • edited January 22
    MarcusH26 said:
    That is the decision for the board, you can't ignore the fact the crowd has really turned on him. If I was Appleton, and I had Tuesday night, I would be thinking we need a special performance if I am going to keep my job. I'm sure he is not stupid enough not to know this. We are at home which can help, if the players give the fans something to get behind early on.
     Yep. And if it's as bad as we are all surmising and he's gone as far to lose the dressing room then we will lose tomorrow night, and convincingly so.
    History tells us when it's gone it's gone, and there's no coming back for manager that has lost all respect for most of his players.
  • edited January 22
    Fumbluff said:
    My Shrewsbury supporting mate reckons Appleton was seen at their training  ground this afternoon...🤔🙄
    He’s good on the training grounds

And interviews apparently which I find hard to believe 🤔

Edit: Just seen Henry's interview notes with MA so maybe he's good in a one to one situation in a room but Results speak the loudest and quiet managers when teams are struggling and confused is a bad look.