Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• I hope we win tomorrow, and at the weekend. And the one after that, and after that and after that.

I hope we win 92 games over the next two seasons because that puts us back in the Premier League. I’m sure everyone’s concern about a manager’s personality would quickly evaporate.
    You are completely right, be warned though, whenever I have said (rightly) the next game is a ‘must win’ some people on here criticise me for saying it.
    Apparently it’s putting too much pressure on the diddums players and football staff.
  • I hope we win tomorrow, and at the weekend. And the one after that, and after that and after that.

I hope we win 92 games over the next two seasons because that puts us back in the Premier League. I’m sure everyone’s concern about a manager’s personality would quickly evaporate.

______

I agree Callum. I remember back to the 90s.  There was a bit of disquiet from the fan base when Steve Gritt was relieved of co managing duties and Curbs was retained. In my opinion it was based on Gritty being more popular than Curbs with the fans over any knowledge of who had the better management credentials. There was even a song sung about Curbs and a lack of personality.

He didn't turn out too bad did he..
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    I think Steve Cooper was more an example from Dubai. The wider point is we should be aiming higher and steering away from journeymen average lower league managers like Slade, Adkins, Holden and Appleton. 
    Yes.. I would like to see a young up and coming manager, or someone that has a real point to prove.. I still don't think we will go down, we have enough in the building.. Providing we find a replacement for Jones & Watson! 
    Or we appoint a manager who can work with what we’ve got rather than have a need to sign almost an entirely new starting 11.

Even if Jones isn’t good enough to be a regular in a promotion winning team he’s definitely good enough to play a part in us winning enough games to finish mid table.

On Watson I hope we give Asiimwe a chance, while REG may be an option too. At the very least it’ll put pressure on Watson to perform if he needs to come back in.
  • TEL said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Just find it totally bizarre to give him tomorrow night. The atmosphere is going to be absolutely toxic especially if we go one down early, was very certain we'd have heard something this morning.
    Toxic? I expect hardly anyone will turn up. Could be the lowest league attendance in years.
    mate the crowd tomorrow will be dire, depending on how many freebies they dish out and bother to turn up. 
  • edited January 22
    Suspect he will be given Tuesday as a make or break game. Its sad to admit but I hope we get battered 

You are wrong because we need the points.
    I hear where you are coming from but the last thing we need is the new players to lose their confidence after 1 or two games.

Catch-22 because we need a positive new manager who has the ability to not only talk a good match but can shape a team at Sparrows lane and think on his feet during a match and get everyone to understand what tactics and formations he wants and obviously motivation and mentality.

Andy Scott needs the next manager to get a tune out of our disparate or should that be desperate players and fans who all need to come together to stop the quick sand into oblivion.
  • You can turn it round as football fans are fickle but it rarely happens.  Ferguson at Man Utd in the 80s may be an example. If he hasn't gone and I would say he may well have, but if he hasn't, a very good run has to start from now to save him. If that were to happen, he does have a narrative in terms of the new players, his players, are making a difference. 
  • The atmosphere will be toxic regardless of the attendance figures.
    The hardcore who always turn up, come rain or shine, are among the most passionate & vocal in our fanbase.
    They will support the team up to a point but Appleton will be booed from the get go.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    I hope we win tomorrow, and at the weekend. And the one after that, and after that and after that.

You are completely right, be warned though, whenever I have said (rightly) the next game is a ‘must win’ some people on here criticise me for saying it.
    Apparently it’s putting too much pressure on the diddums players and football staff.
    Complete agree only a win tomorrow will spare him the sack, and even then it may only be a temporary reprieve.  It may be they le thim get the next three games out of the way (Northampton, Blackpool and Derby) before acting.

As for who might replace him, it's interesting to see some of the names being talked about. Worth remembering it's been a few years since we were a club people would be banging down the door to manage, all the more so given the position we are in.  
  • Normally i'd wish the outgoing manager all the best but not this time. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
  • Maybe its happened and we're delaying the news so Northampton dont get time to rethink how they setup?

Grasping At Straws GIFs - Find  Share on GIPHY
    If he's still here tomorrow they won't have to worry about anything. 
  • TEL said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Just find it totally bizarre to give him tomorrow night. The atmosphere is going to be absolutely toxic especially if we go one down early, was very certain we'd have heard something this morning.
    Toxic? I expect hardly anyone will turn up. Could be the lowest league attendance in years.
    the next storm off the rank is due to hit this area around 6pm tomorrow night - 40-50mph winds, gonna be a horrible evening in more ways than one
  • We can't have Cooper as you can't have two really ugly managers in succession. It just isn't right!
  • He definitely has gone. Mutual supposedly.
    Sauce?
    I think they normally say it’s a mutual agreement, presumably as otherwise he could sue Charlton for breach of contract. 
  • edited January 22
    Talk about him being given Tuesday's game as a make or break...don't get it, "One game does not a season make"..either he is gone today, or we may as well give up the optimism, he's here for the foreseeable...🙄
    What a start to the week this would be
  • Sponsored links:

• Charlton’s twitter account have just posted about tomorrow’s game….so I can only assume that anyone saying that Appleton has been sacked is sadly incorrect. 
    If you say so.
  • jbaker said:
    He definitely has gone. Mutual supposedly.
    Sauce?
    Ketchup
  • Don’t ask me why but I’m match day sponsor tomorrow. Will be Interesting to try and gauge the atmosphere within the lounges/directors box. What time is the pre match presser normally released the day before a game?
  • jbaker said:
    He definitely has gone. Mutual supposedly.
    Sauce?
    Ketchup
    Apple hopefully!!
  • The atmosphere will be toxic regardless of the attendance figures.
    The hardcore who always turn up, come rain or shine, are among the most passionate & vocal in our fanbase.
    They will support the team up to a point but Appleton will be booed from the get go.
    Appleton won't be there.
  • Seems pretty certain that he's gone, the question is why on earth haven't they announced it yet?

Maybe they're looking to announce who the new manager is at the same time. Maybe they're waiting on a signage guy to replace Michael Appleton with Duff on the managers office door.
  • edited January 22
    Chunes said:
    If he's gone, that Burton game is going to haunt him. Why on earth did he keep his new defenders on the bench and start his leaky old ones and think anything would be different.
    Maybe he wanted out and that was his was to solve his problem, 'fraid we were the collateral damage..