Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    If we go a goal down on Tuesday that is going to horrible for him. Not that he cares 
    What evidence do you have that he doesn’t care?
    Strange thing to say Croydon.🧐
     I haven't seen a shred of emotion from him since he's been here. I genuinely doubt he gives a shit
    Richie Wellens, red for preventing a throw. A bit of passion/he cares  Appleton....Nada
  • I imagine that one way or another he's on borrowed time. But any announcements will not be made just yet for various reasons - whether they hope to have someone straight through the door, or the SMT need one or more of the actual owners to sign off on something, or even just to try and work out some way to spin it as anything other than the complete and utter cluster fuck it has been pretty much since the actual appointment.

As Airman has tweeted, this does not look very good for their credibility at all. Even if (when?) he does go then it has pretty much undone all the good PR and morale stuff the new signings had done.

Scott and Methven must surely know that getting it wrong again means it's their necks in the (metaphorical) noose next.
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    If we go a goal down on Tuesday that is going to horrible for him. Not that he cares 
     I haven't seen a shred of emotion from him since he's been here. I genuinely doubt he gives a shit
    I thought this right from the start. It just struck me that this guy was just after a payout. His whole demeanour whilst in post seems to back this up
  • Maybe the press conference tomorrow will announce a vote of confidence in the head coach.

And we know what that generally means...... 

• Arrogant and based on very little in recent years. Fine line between arrogance and confidence and this man has overstepped it by long way 
  • Melrose said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    I thought this right from the start. It just struck me that this guy was just after a payout. His whole demeanour whilst in post seems to back this up
    We’ve had players like Gunter and Watson here just to earn a decent contract and not putting everything into their performances. Never really hear it said about managers but it’s not much of a stretch to believe some will happily take jobs despite not being fully committed to put everything into it. They know they’ll either succeed or get the sack and a nice payoff. At a club like ours they can blame it on the ownership and fan expectations then move on to another job.
  • Arrogant and based on very little in recent years. Fine line between arrogance and confidence and this man has overstepped it by long way 
    This is what I don’t get. What is the evidence for the supposed arrogance? I want him out because he’s a terrible manager. I couldn’t care less how demonstrative he is on the touchline and I don’t really get the vitriol that is all over this thread. Either I’ve missed something or a lot of people are confusing incompetence with an obnoxious personality. 
  • Scoham said:
    I don't know if the stats back it up, but my perception is that the majority of promotions from League One are won by managers in their first job or certainly still earlier in their careers. If managers are any good, they might start at this level but they don't stay here for long. To win promotion from this league you need players capable of playing the Championship. I think you also need a manager/coach capable of managing in the Championship. Nothing in Appleton's record suggests he is, or ever was, good enough for that level so his appointment never made sense from day one. 

If we're getting rid of him then in my opinion we should not be looking at well-known names, unless we can somehow tempt someone down to this level who you would really expect to be managing higher. That would be a very tough sell, so our chances of attracting a good enough manager to get us promoted are probably improved if we look for bright and ambitious young coach taking their first steps in management. The added wrinkle for us is we have rarely done well with managers with no previous connection to the club. Northerners don't seem to fair well down here either (Jimmy Seed aside).

I don't know who to suggest, I just don't know enough about what is going on at other clubs, but, for me, that is the general profile of manager we need to be finding. I'm hesitant on Bowyer and Powell. Bowyer could be a good fit for the squad, but will he work well with Andy Scott and head coach not manager structure? Same perhaps goes for Powell plus I'm not sure he would want to set up in a way that suits the squad we currently have.
    It’s why I generally prefer to gamble on a young manager than go for managers like Slade, Adkins and Appleton. If they were that good they’d have a Championship job or higher.

I’m not sure there’s someone like that at the moment. It made sense with Powell, Bowyer and Jackson. I don’t get the same feeling with Pearce or Euell, so I’d be happy to see Duff or similar come on. Just don’t want to see another like the first three I mentioned. No doubt they can talk the talk in an interview, and while they didn’t have great squads they all underachieved with what they had/have.
    I agree there’s probably no one in house right now. Euell would be the only one who might AND has previous affiliations with us, but don’t know if he wants to be a manager or not. There has to be someone out there in the wider world of football. Where you’re from and who you’ve previously worked for shouldn’t, logically at least, be a barrier to doing well here if they are good enough. 
  • Sponsored links:

• We can’t afford to lose a game to get rid of a manager - we are mired in a relegation fight and need the points first and foremost! 
    How about a truly dismal performance with a very lucky win?
    He gets offed and we get the points. Win win.
  • For what it’s worth a Swansea supporting mate thinks about Duff like we do Appleton. 
    No connection with fans, strange formations, playing people out of position and above all - belittling the importance of the south Wales derby, in which Cardiff did the double over them I believe.
    It’ll get howls of derision from some but Powell is the pick for me to get out of this mess. We need a bloke with Charlton in his blood and to get the feel good factor back.  
  • Scoham said:
    Melrose said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    We’ve had players like Gunter and Watson here just to earn a decent contract and not putting everything into their performances. Never really hear it said about managers but it’s not much of a stretch to believe some will happily take jobs despite not being fully committed to put everything into it. They know they’ll either succeed or get the sack and a nice payoff. At a club like ours they can blame it on the ownership and fan expectations then move on to another job.
    *cough* *cough* Pardew *cough* *cough*
  • Maybe the press conference tomorrow will announce a vote of confidence in the head coach.

And we know what that generally means...... 

I don't think he'll even be getting that.

Hopefully it's simply because they want to control the news and get a replacement lined up first and not because they're actually keeping him.
  • Pearson and Euell have the same agent as Appleton and Fleming…
  • Scoham said:
    I don't know if the stats back it up, but my perception is that the majority of promotions from League One are won by managers in their first job or certainly still earlier in their careers. If managers are any good, they might start at this level but they don't stay here for long. To win promotion from this league you need players capable of playing the Championship. I think you also need a manager/coach capable of managing in the Championship. Nothing in Appleton's record suggests he is, or ever was, good enough for that level so his appointment never made sense from day one. 

If we're getting rid of him then in my opinion we should not be looking at well-known names, unless we can somehow tempt someone down to this level who you would really expect to be managing higher. That would be a very tough sell, so our chances of attracting a good enough manager to get us promoted are probably improved if we look for bright and ambitious young coach taking their first steps in management. The added wrinkle for us is we have rarely done well with managers with no previous connection to the club. Northerners don't seem to fair well down here either (Jimmy Seed aside).

I don't know who to suggest, I just don't know enough about what is going on at other clubs, but, for me, that is the general profile of manager we need to be finding. I'm hesitant on Bowyer and Powell. Bowyer could be a good fit for the squad, but will he work well with Andy Scott and head coach not manager structure? Same perhaps goes for Powell plus I'm not sure he would want to set up in a way that suits the squad we currently have.
    It’s why I generally prefer to gamble on a young manager than go for managers like Slade, Adkins and Appleton. If they were that good they’d have a Championship job or higher.

I’m not sure there’s someone like that at the moment. It made sense with Powell, Bowyer and Jackson. I don’t get the same feeling with Pearce or Euell, so I’d be happy to see Duff or similar come on. Just don’t want to see another like the first three I mentioned. No doubt they can talk the talk in an interview, and while they didn’t have great squads they all underachieved with what they had/have.
    I agree there’s probably no one in house right now. Euell would be the only one who might AND has previous affiliations with us, but don’t know if he wants to be a manager or not. There has to be someone out there in the wider world of football. Where you’re from and who you’ve previously worked for shouldn’t, logically at least, be a barrier to doing well here if they are good enough. 
    Euell applied for the Wimbledon job but that was 3 years ago now.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-charlton-development-coach-jason-euell-has-applied-for-afc-wimbledon-job/
  • Re: the Pearson speculation.
    Plenty of Bristol City fans responding to this Tweet who seem to be pretty fond of him.
    Also noticed a few mentioning recovery from recent back surgery, so perhaps that rules him out anyway?

• Sponsored links:

• Wouldn’t mind Pearson, proper no nonsense manager that would light the fire that Appleton has extinguished.
  • I like the Eustace idea , but I also think he's probably someone that holds out for a championship job? Will be someone that gets sacked in the next couple of weeks I'm sure. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Maybe a bit unrealistic, but might be interested in the challenge, and if the board can sell them the dream.. How about Steve Cooper? Worked with Scott a few times, good understanding of working with young players.. Yes, will be expensive.. But what an appointment he would be
    I’d be shocked if we are fishing in that pond. The likes of Cooper and Potter will surely be next up for Palace