Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Appleton needs to do something pretty amazing if he hasn't been sacked. If he does fair dues to him. But it has to be a fantastic run from here. Defeat or even a draw on Tuesday and the run he needs will have ended before it started!
  • edited January 21
    Only hope they're looking around for a replacement in the background before sacking Appleton, so they dont look stupid and take ages to get this next one too
    Yeah but I've been saying for weeks that I hope they're already doing that. The warning signs have been there. I would argue the warning signs with Holden were there too but the results went so bad so fast that the board had to act when they did to avoid a relegation scrap. We've had almost two months without a win now. Ideally a board is always looking at what's out there, but things have develop over such a length of time that they should have a list of candidates and have put out at least feelers when they sack Apples. 
  • Tbh why would they confirm to anyone if it is true before they announce it
    Though if he's gone, why would they need to say anything at all before announcing? 
  • All respect to Louis, but the club will announce in their own time, and want to be seen to be in control of media announcements...so WIOTOS...but still feel no smoke without fire...
  • All respect to Louis, but the club will announce in their own time, and want to be seen to be in control of media announcements...so WIOTOS...but still feel no smoke without fire...
    This 100%.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hope they're ready for a toxic atmosphere on Tuesday night then
    How much of a crowd do you need to have for there to be any kind of atmosphere, let alone a toxic one?
    If there was any truth in the rumour but not yet announced then I think there would be no comment by the club. Not a denial 
    But that then confirms he has gone? they will want to announce it themselves when they are ready
  • I couldn’t care less about the meaningless external noise that will inevitably tell us the club’s a mess etc we’ve had 25 managers whatever it is now since Curbs etc

It’s clear Appleton being appointed was a mistake and the best thing the club can do is accept it hasn’t worked out but make sure they get the next appointment right much in the way it seems they have accepted they got the summer transfer window mostly wrong.

Personally hope they ask Lee Bowyer what it would take to bring him back.

Common denominater is not having the right ownership.
    Let's be honest, anybody decent would look at us and think f*** that.
    Coupled with anybody decent will need to be paid wages a lot more than Holden and Appleton were receiving.
    They are in the s***, and know it, they will have to shell out to get us out of this mess.
  • edited January 21
    Tbh why would they confirm to anyone if it is true before they announce it
    If there was any truth in the rumour but not yet announced then I think there would be no comment by the club. Not a denial 
    But that then confirms he has gone? they will want to announce it themselves when they are ready
    No comment would to me at least show something was happening. A denial is just that a denial.
  • They sacked Holden, publicly scrambled for a new manager, were rejected by the first three candidates and settled on Appleton. 

They aren’t going to make the same optics mistake again!
  • se9addick said:
    Hope they're ready for a toxic atmosphere on Tuesday night then
    If Appleton somehow makes it to next weekend then Blackpool away is going to be brutal for him - I believe their fans hate him more than us!
    Yep.

Been speaking to a few Blackpool fans on Twitter and it sounds pretty identical in terms of what's gone for Appleton here as up there. 
    They wouldn't, but they also wouldn't be likely to confirm it wasn't true.  They'd just say nothing.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    Hope they're ready for a toxic atmosphere on Tuesday night then
    If Appleton somehow makes it to next weekend then Blackpool away is going to be brutal for him - I believe their fans hate him more than us!
    Yep.Both sets of fans could sing in unison...... "We hate him more than you........"
  • RedRobin said:
    Appleton’s days were numbered the moment he had that argument with a fan Reading away in the Mickey Mouse cup, was never going to end well. 
    I blame the fan for our position, b******!
  • My Shrewsbury supporting mate reckons Appleton was seen at their training  ground this afternoon...🤔🙄
    Finally getting what they deserve after beating us in the Play-Offs ;)
  • I think the club can't say a manager has been sacked if that hasn't happened yet. That isn't to say it won't happen. I think we should wait and see but Reams is a relaible source as far as I am concerened.  A no comment is basically confirmation he has been sacked so if it is a process then they can't answer it in any other way than they have.
  • My Shrewsbury supporting mate reckons Appleton was seen at their training  ground this afternoon...🤔🙄
    Are we looking to sign anyone from Shrewsbury?
  • edited January 21
    I couldn’t care less about the meaningless external noise that will inevitably tell us the club’s a mess etc we’ve had 25 managers whatever it is now since Curbs etc

It’s clear Appleton being appointed was a mistake and the best thing the club can do is accept it hasn’t worked out but make sure they get the next appointment right much in the way it seems they have accepted they got the summer transfer window mostly wrong.

Personally hope they ask Lee Bowyer what it would take to bring him back.

Common denominater is not having the right ownership.
    Let's be honest, anybody decent would look at us and think f*** that.
    Coupled with anybody decent will need to be paid wages a lot more than Holden and Appleton were receiving.
    They are in the s***, and know it, they will have to shell out to get us out of this mess.
    I don't think our owners are great, but we've just spent fees on three players in the January window. There will be a lot of managers at this level who have never had that before and may never get that chance again. 

That brings the total number of players who cost money in our squad to eight if I'm counting correctly: Edmond-Green, Gillesphey, Fraser, Coventry, DJ, May, Aneke, Taylor, and we bought out Kirk's contract.

Again, you can look at that list and see the problems in it, and therein lies the big problem, but the money being spent is relatively unique at this level. And I think there's a lot of room for easy improvement with this team, and then you'd be hoping the board brings in a couple of big signings in the summer (JCH). And if I'm a manager in thinking that enough players coming down from the Championship and anyone can get Charlton promoted and I just need to be in the right place at the right time. 
  • edited January 21
    J BLOCK said:
    Tbh why would they confirm to anyone if it is true before they announce it
    They’d not comment on it. 
    This. It takes 5 minutes to draft a statement on a managerial sacking, they're very short. If he was going he'd be gone.