Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• What makes people think Michael Duff would be good? Serious failure at Swansea so not exactly “on the up”? 
    Does Duff play 3-5-2, as that's what the new players seem to have been bought for?
    I don't know myself, thanks in advance for any answers.
    Yes. 
  • What is Duff’s style ? Ik he plays 3-5-2 tho
  • Duff’s time at Swansea sounds identical to Appleton with us. No style of football, couldn’t win games and an open disregard for the club’s identity and fans. 
  • 3-5-2 but he likes a CB to step into the middle of the park and create an overload that way. I thought Barnsley looked very good under him.

• JamesSeed said:
    What makes people think Michael Duff would be good? Serious failure at Swansea so not exactly “on the up”? 
    Does Duff play 3-5-2, as that's what the new players seem to have been bought for?
    I don't know myself, thanks in advance for any answers.
    Yes. 
    Thanks mate, oh and thanks for the Asparagus I'll come down in April!
  • nagAddick said:
    What is Duff’s style ? Ik he plays 3-5-2 tho
    Believe he shops for clothes at M&S, make of that what you will
  • Am I the only one that thinks MA should be allowed to build his own team and given the time to see it flourish? We have had a succession of managers who have inherited squads, either consisting of the previous manager’s dross, or stripped of their only good players by wholesale injuries. MA is no different. However, for the first time in recent history we have a board that is prepared to put its hands in its pockets and build a squad that the manager approves of. I’m prepared to give MA a full month after the window has closed, as it will take time for the new players (and there’s more to come) to bed in. In spite of all of the vitriol levelled at MA it’s quite clear he didn’t come down in the last shower and he knows which way is up. However, I fear that as we live in an instant gratification (I want in now!) society he may not be afforded the opportunity by the panic merchants and manic depressives, which would be a pity, only for us to set up another managerial rinse and repeat further down the line.
    Yes, you are
  • nagAddick said:
    Plays quite direct football I believe. Again don’t think that would be a bad thing with what we have 
  • Sponsored links:

• Having reshaped the squad to play 352, you watch we'll get a manager in who wants to play 433. Or 4231. Maybe even 442.

And you think I'm joking! 🤔 
    Isn’t that the point though. The Club sets the formation we want to play and then if you replace the Manager you get a new one in who normally plays that system or is happy to, otherwise you get a constant churn of players.

Its lucky that Duff is suited to 3-5-2.
  • I think compared to when Holden went it's a more attractive time to sign on as manager. Holden obviously hadn't got what he'd needed and we looked like we had another ownership who wouldn't invest enough and wouldn't give out enough control to the manager. Prospective managers will see that this window a fair bit has been invested and the manager got to bring in some of his favourites as well as being given more time than was reasonable until it became completely untenable. Hopefully anyway.
  • Fortune 82nd Minute, DDOUBLEE - then be prepared for more of the same.
  • What makes people think Michael Duff would be good? Serious failure at Swansea so not exactly “on the up”? 
    Success at Cheltenham, took Barnsley to the play off final, plays 3-5-2.
  • NabySarr said:
    nagAddick said:
    Plays quite direct football I believe. Again don’t think that would be a bad thing with what we have 
    Yeh. Duff plays more direct football, doesn’t overvalue possession. Not saying that’s a bad thing. Especially in League One. Effective at Cheltenham and Barnsley, disaster at Swansea. 
  • Am I the only one that thinks MA should be allowed to build his own team and given the time to see it flourish? We have had a succession of managers who have inherited squads, either consisting of the previous manager’s dross, or stripped of their only good players by wholesale injuries. MA is no different. However, for the first time in recent history we have a board that is prepared to put its hands in its pockets and build a squad that the manager approves of. I’m prepared to give MA a full month after the window has closed, as it will take time for the new players (and there’s more to come) to bed in. In spite of all of the vitriol levelled at MA it’s quite clear he didn’t come down in the last shower and he knows which way is up. However, I fear that as we live in an instant gratification (I want in now!) society he may not be afforded the opportunity by the panic merchants and manic depressives, which would be a pity, only for us to set up another managerial rinse and repeat further down the line.
    Time in Division 4 you say?
    With our squad I'd back myself to get Charlton promoted from Division 4!
  • Sponsored links:

• What is this fixation on formation?

Our manager and players should be able to
    mix and match and adapt as required / at all times. 

There may be a preference but it shouldn’t be anything more. 
    Agreed, but January’s recruitment clearly has a 3-5-2 in mind
  • NabySarr said:
    nagAddick said:

Duff always felt like a bad fit for Swansea to follow Russell Martin , very stylistically different from Martin,Cooper , Potter and their fans just never took to him 
  • Good if he is gone. 

It generally has not been the sacking of the managers in recent years that has been the problem, the problem has been the selection of one dreadful manager after another whom are frankly not worthy of managing our club on the whole.

The following should just never have been employed by us imo:

- Bob Peters
    - Guy Luzin
    - Karel Fraeye
    - Russell Slade
    - Ben Garner
    - Dean Holden (albeit I think he is a wonderful chap who was hard done by)
    - Michael Apples

The following should arguably have been given more time /ability to pick their own assistants etc imo
    - Karl Robinson
    - Johnnie Jackson
    - Nigel Adkins

The following left of their own volition
    - Jose Riga
    - Lee Bowyer

The issue is, that even including the 3 I reckon could have been given more time... Out of 12 managers, none have really gone on to have any great success after leaving us.
    Bob Peeters had us in the Championship play-offs for a time, just got screwed by injuries and a small squad. 
    And being an absolute prick
  • seth plum said:
    WTF is WhatsApp?
    FFS, Seth ! 

It's the abbreviation for " WhatsAppletonGotInHisPockets " ?
    I wonder if he had big holes in his pockets...?
  • For some reason, I can't get a very positive refrain out of my old 'ead.

" Michael Appleton. Ex Charlton manager "  :)
  • edited January 21
    Addick_8 said:
    Rumours starting now that we might see the Charlton flag tonight
    Heard he went last night but didn’t see anything so assumed it was being held back. Now I think it’s safe to say he’s gone. 
  • For some reason, I can't get a very positive refrain out of my old 'ead.

" Michael Appleton. Ex Charlton manager "  :)
    From a reliable source Jean?