Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• edited January 21
    JamesSeed said:
    Mrkinski said:
    Mrkinski said:
    If this clown is still in charge on Tuesday, The Valley could turn very toxic, very quickly.

That's as may be, but the team still needs to win, so maybe wait till full time eh...🤔
    I’m not the whole Valley crowd, but yes I’m sure we will withhold any potential displeasure until the end of the match.
    You could be Tuesday...🙄
    I’ll be there @MrKinski. I’ll give you a wave. 
    I will be the whole of the Lower West, Mr Seed.
  • Karl Robinson was given more than enough time and brought his own coach in, Lee Bowyer
  • Mrkinski said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Mrkinski said:
    Mrkinski said:
    If this clown is still in charge on Tuesday, The Valley could turn very toxic, very quickly.

That's as may be, but the team still needs to win, so maybe wait till full time eh...🤔
    I’m not the whole Valley crowd, but yes I’m sure we will withhold any potential displeasure until the end of the match.
    You could be Tuesday...🙄
    I’ll be there @MrKinski. I’ll give you a wave. 
    I will be the whole of the Lower West, Mr Seed.
    I’ll be the one in CE Upper. 👋
  • This the problem its easy for us all to say Appleton should go but they took 3 weeks musing of Appletons appointment and that was all they could come up with. I'd just appoint a bit of fire fighter until the end of the season make sure we don't get sucked in to relegation  and spend the rest of the seasons getting the right man in ahead of preseason
  • edited January 21
    All we can comment on is what we see on the pitch. How good a coach Appleton is, how quiet he is is irrelevant. Whether he has lost the dressing room or not is speculation unless we have information confirming it. What we are seeing on the pitch is pretty damning and I would say he is on borrowed time but if we go on a run from here, maybe we should feel differently. I accept it would need some run, which doesn't look likely, but that is fair I think.

The reason I think it is fair that despite disagreeing with some of Appleton's decisions personally, I also accept that prior to the signings we have made, the squad was pretty challenging without strikers. I can't call for his sacking because I disagree with some selections but I can call for it based on poor results. He now should be getting good results and whilst that is true for Saturday, I personally, am happy to see what happens in the next couple of games. I think something has to happen but as others have said a decision may already have been made. I am concerened that we will merely get another similar manager and the cycle continues but we should be strong enough to start winning games at this level regularly and I will want to see promotion form (not expecting promotion obviously but points per game) from here on in to support Appleton continuing as manager.  
  • CH4RLTON said:
    This the problem its easy for us all to say Appleton should go but they took 3 weeks musing of Appletons appointment and that was all they could come up with. I'd just appoint a bit of fire fighter until the end of the season make sure we don't get sucked in to relegation  and spend the rest of the seasons getting the right man in ahead of preseason
    @Rylo @blackpool72 and myself would all love a go 
  • Other forum saying he’s gone as well
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 21
    Swisdom said:
    Ok so if he were to go…who would we want?
    Michael Duff or Rowett.
  • Swisdom said:
    Duff, stabilise this season and rebuild in the summer. 
  • Swisdom said:
    Duff
    Rowett
    Powell 
    Bowyer 
    Jones 
    Any of those and we’ll turn the season round and get fans on side.
  • Swisdom said:
    Michael Duff is the most obvious appointment we’ve had in years. He’s proven at this level, likeable guy, out of work, plays the way Scott wants us to and I honestly think would come. And has the bonus that he was the first to really get Alfie May flying.

It’s a no brainer.
  • It has to be someone who is broadly happy with and able to play their football with our squad. 
  • Duff would be my No1 choice , I don't think Nathan Jones or John Eustace would be especially interested and I don't think we'd get anyone that's currently at another club. 
  • edited January 21
    That is the problem. Those that I would want probably won't be interested. Duff might work, might not. Maybe holding off for a few games might throw up a name that will be good. If Appleton does pick up a bit and somebody we can see is better, I would be all for sacking him, but at the moment I can see us getting a manager like him. I would probably go for Bowyer as this would be a fresh start for him but a new manager would have to want the players we are bringing in or it will be silly.

I was all for sacking Bowyer when we did because I knew he had lost the dressing room but I recall Bielik saying at Wembley that this was the best dressing room he had ever been involved with and maybe if we don't torment the bloke (Roland and ESI stand up) he can be the manager he was then. He is a Charlton man and unlike some of the names mentioned he has done it before.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm not convinced by these rumours. Think he'll get Tuesday at least. They're not gonna let him bring in all these new players and then only get one game with them. 

When he does inevitably go, it would be Duff for me. He's always seemed like a clever manager and he's resourceful. 
  • Swisdom said:

my 3 would be

Eustace
    Nathan Jones?
    Michael Duff?

all three have something to prove and have had success prior to this season

Rowett - or does the Millwall connection make him a bad choice now?

Richie Wellens? He's doing a good job at Orient on limited resources. Andy Woodman as a wild card? Duff would be my first choice though. 
  • edited January 21
    Swisdom said:

my 3 would be

Eustace
    Nathan Jones?
    Michael Duff?

Richie Wellens? He's doing a good job at Orient on limited resources. Andy Woodman as a wild card? Duff would be my first choice though. 
    No thanks RE: Wellens seems another doing the Managerial Merry-Go-Round.
    Swisdom said:

my 3 would be

Eustace
    Nathan Jones?
    Michael Duff?

No issue with Rowett... He has Charlton links too, think it was Golfie saying that we should have issue with Powell because of his Palace links if thats the logic.
  • My shortlist in order of preference 

Duff
    jones
    rowett
    bowyer
    woodman
  • Think Rowett wouldn’t come. Think his family live up north and it would ruin his connection with Milwall fans. I’d take Duff but the football wouldn’t be pretty. I’d be pretty happy with an out of the blue young coach. I think Scott appointed Cooper at Swansea so something in that style
  • Also wonder if this has been in the works for a while and that’s why the Northampton manager got given a new contract? I know we were after him last time around