Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• edited January 21
    I get why some want managerial stability. I expect all do. The day may come when it will be the wrong decision to bin off a struggling manager too soon, and maybe its happened with others before him, but is today that day?

There really is no need to rubbish his past successes, or even outright lie that he hasn't achieved anything in the past at any level as I've seen posted elsewhere on here, because his record with us is justification enough for questioning the board's loyalty to him now.

Few would have expected a two goal defeat yesterday to undermine the activity in this window so far, owners included. Since Rodwell saying MA had their backing, we've played two, lost two and he was wary about saying MA had been given a vote of confidence. And whatever happened to bringing in a winning mentality? We've been mentally fragile for weeks. Did that not apply to results?

Apples is surely a goner, but do they know what next and should MA stay on in the meantime?
  • edited January 21
    So keep Apples till the end of the season even if he relegates us so we can all feel better that we didn't sack a manager quickly? Fuck off. 
  • MrBurns said:

He's taking the piss now 

Beam him up Scotty!!...🙄
  • edited January 21
    mart77 said:
    mart77 said:
    If Appleton was sacked today I wouldn’t be bothered but I do think that part of Charltons problem and has been for some time is the absolute clamour by fans to sack the manager whenever we go through a bad run. All teams have them and all managers have them. Things need to improve and improve quickly but Appleton started off well enough and once we see the new players integrated I think our results will steady. Is he the right man going forward ? I don’t think so but I also don’t think sacking him now is particularly helpful. 
    Of all the problems currently facing the club the fans are way down on the list.
    Sections of the fan base have called for the sacking of every manager we’ve had since and including Curbishley whenever the team have a bad run. Appleton wasn’t the correct choice imho but he’s in the chair and we must break the cycle of demanding sackings.  My own view is that is that he’ll be gone next season at some point but just like the SMT seem to have realised that we need better quality recruitment for players I hope they realise that the manager choice is key and go for the absolute best candidate they can.
    Asking for Curbs to be sacked, I'm not having that.
    I agree with giving managers time, however, the position we're in is not good and IF he was kept throughout February but we were in a worse position than we are now it is inevitable that he'll be sacked.

I sat in the West Stand and I couldn’t believe the amount of times I heard that Curbs had taken us as far as he could. 
    That’s as maybe…..however, very very few were actually suggesting he should be sacked. 
    This. It’s a myth that’s built over time that loads wanted him gone. 
    Correct…….the media were making their usual mischief in suggesting it was widespread.
    At the time I was a member of The Vice Presidents Club of about 50 or so and not one of them were calling for him to be sacked.
  • There are people on twitter saying give him time to bed this squad in. We do that then league two awaits. There just isn’t time. If there was a better time to sack a manager. It’s now.
  • mart77 said:
    If Appleton was sacked today I wouldn’t be bothered but I do think that part of Charltons problem and has been for some time is the absolute clamour by fans to sack the manager whenever we go through a bad run. All teams have them and all managers have them. Things need to improve and improve quickly but Appleton started off well enough and once we see the new players integrated I think our results will steady. Is he the right man going forward ? I don’t think so but I also don’t think sacking him now is particularly helpful. 
    Of all the problems currently facing the club the fans are way down on the list.
    Sections of the fan base have called for the sacking of every manager we’ve had since and including Curbishley whenever the team have a bad run. Appleton wasn’t the correct choice imho but he’s in the chair and we must break the cycle of demanding sackings.  My own view is that is that he’ll be gone next season at some point but just like the SMT seem to have realised that we need better quality recruitment for players I hope they realise that the manager choice is key and go for the absolute best candidate they can.
    Asking for Curbs to be sacked, I'm not having that.
    I agree with giving managers time, however, the position we're in is not good and IF he was kept throughout February but we were in a worse position than we are now it is inevitable that he'll be sacked.

I sat in the West Stand and I couldn’t believe the amount of times I heard that Curbs had taken us as far as he could. 
    I don't recall anyone in Block M saying that.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrBurns said:

He's taking the piss now 
    What else could he say, it’s very tough for him.
  • edited January 21
  • A bad Apple is spoiling the barrel.
  • robroy said:
    Get Neil Warnock in. 

He would sort this lot out. 

I don’t care about his age. 
    He’d keep us up but he isn’t the man for next season. He’s been quite open about the fact he can only really do rescue jobs now, look at Huddersfield this season 

Our next manager should be the manager we want to give the summer and next season, not an interim till end of the season 
  • kentred2 said:
    The problem is he is not a manager. He’s a coach. Would be great as a first team coach assisting the manager. 
    As Warnock says teams with good players win through motivation and confidence, not by clever midweek coaching and devious formations. 
     This. He's not a manager of men. Looks like he holds a grudge for too long as well.
     I should think he's the quietist in the changing room. Andy Scott got this badly wrong and needs to hold his hands up.
  • Sponsored links:

• With Holden it appeared from the whispers that the decision to sack him was made at least a week before the official announcement. Check the Holden thread for confirmation that it was known days, at least, before.

I have no inside information on this but maybe we are in the same scenario now.

That is, that MA is going and the board are sounding out replacements now so there is a quick and easy transition rather then a long interregnum at a crucial time of the season as there was after Holden went.

At least I hope that if, big if, MA is gone then that is what they are doing.

PS yes, I know interregnum is an uncommon word but I love it, it is appropriate and it's not often there is an excuse to use it.
    The board deserve praise for their signings and intent in this window, but you'd have to seriously question them if they weren't looking around at potential new managers. There's no way they can be happy with Appleton.
  • se9addick said:
    With Holden it appeared from the whispers that the decision to sack him was made at least a week before the official announcement. Check the Holden thread for confirmation that it was known days, at least, before.

That is, that MA is going and the board are sounding out replacements now so there is a quick and easy transition rather then a long interregnum at a crucial time of the season as there was after Holden went.

PS yes, I know interregnum is an uncommon word but I love it, it is appropriate and it's not often there is an excuse to use it.
    Do you have inside information that Oliver Cromwell is coming in as our new manager?
    Great organiser and motivator.

Doubt he'd work under Andy Scott though 
  • With Holden it appeared from the whispers that the decision to sack him was made at least a week before the official announcement. Check the Holden thread for confirmation that it was known days, at least, before.

So you are saying that Appleton agreed to become manager, in principle, before Holden was sacked?  I dislike him even more now.
  • Appleton probably is a good coach and seems rated on the training ground within football circles but good coaches don't always make good team managers.  It looks like this is a case in person and not the first time we have fallen fail of this. 

The board deserve praise for their signings and intent in this window, but you'd have to seriously question them if they weren't looking around at potential new managers. There's no way they can be happy with Appleton.
    Over the last two weeks the Board have really shown their intentions regarding how they see the way ahead.
    This has resulted in the most positive transfer window for many years.

In order to be successful the club needs all the pieces of the Jigsaw, namely the team and the management to all gel.

Sadly it would appear that the team and the manager are not gelling, so something has to give.

I hope that the board won’t allow One Bad Apple namely Appleton to derail the board's vision for the future.

You cannot spend a million plus pounds on transfers and allow a clown like Appleton to run the show.
  • se9addick said:
    With Holden it appeared from the whispers that the decision to sack him was made at least a week before the official announcement. Check the Holden thread for confirmation that it was known days, at least, before.

Do you have inside information that Oliver Cromwell is coming in as our new manager?
    Does that mean we would be known as Olivers army.