Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Belv said:
    Croydon said:
    Over the next couple of weeks we’re going to have to integrate upwards of 7 (?) new players. I’m not sure that integrating a new manager at this point is that good an idea. I don’t believe any of the rumours that there’s an emergency board meeting or that he’s got until Tuesday. If he was going to get sacked he’d be gone today. Tuesday is important and three points will settle the nerves and see the new lads make an impact from then on.
    Why would a new manager not work with all the new faces? We're clearly changing playing system anyway, so it could be the ideal time to bring in someone new. What good does it do bringing new players into such a negative environment? 

Exactly.

All the players are going to be new to a new manager anyway. 
    Plus I think Scott picks the signings anyway.
  • NabySarr said:
    JordanJLD said:
    The fact we’ve resigned ourselves to 352 is insane. Literally switched to it during a losing run and we’ve continued to lose. Appleton was more successful playing a very attacking 424. Before he switched it, play May on the wing and just showed how clueless he was. 
    We’ve only played it for a game and a half. The half against Peterborough was very good, 1st half yesterday ok, second half shocking. We just need a manager that knows how to coach the system 
    Selling CBT without a replacement lined up yet and removing T Campbell out of action, and sending back C Campbell is clear that we’re not planning on having wingers which really limits our options on formation. We need a new manager no matter what the plan is
  • cfgs said:
    Belv said:
    Croydon said:
    Over the next couple of weeks we’re going to have to integrate upwards of 7 (?) new players. I’m not sure that integrating a new manager at this point is that good an idea. I don’t believe any of the rumours that there’s an emergency board meeting or that he’s got until Tuesday. If he was going to get sacked he’d be gone today. Tuesday is important and three points will settle the nerves and see the new lads make an impact from then on.
    Why would a new manager not work with all the new faces? We're clearly changing playing system anyway, so it could be the ideal time to bring in someone new. What good does it do bringing new players into such a negative environment? 

Exactly.

He does but this window has made it abundantly clear that Appleton is being given a pretty big say
  • edited January 21
    If Appleton was sacked today I wouldn’t be bothered but I do think that part of Charltons problem and has been for some time is the absolute clamour by fans to sack the manager whenever we go through a bad run. All teams have them and all managers have them. Things need to improve and improve quickly but Appleton started off well enough and once we see the new players integrated I think our results will steady. Is he the right man going forward ? I don’t think so but I also don’t think sacking him now is particularly helpful. 
    Why stick with him if he's not the man to take us forward? 
  • He’s Ben garner in a muscle suit convince me otherwise 
    Garner smiled.
  • When I watch other teams play the decent ones go through transitions of play ! CB passes into the midfield, midfield proves forward and the ball miraculously ends up with the forwards in or around the opposition goal. Our transition is CB passes to midfield, midfield passes back to CB they pass to other CB he passes to LB or RB he passes back to GK he knocks it long and we lose possession. 

That is coaching !!!! If the players are not doing what the manager wants you could reasonably think that the manager might take his hands out of his pockets and become slightly vocal !!!

no clue ! Losing mentality! Rabbit in the headlights ! Would be the 3 phrases I would describe our current manager 
  • fenaddick said:
    cfgs said:
    Belv said:
    Croydon said:

Exactly.

He does but this window has made it abundantly clear that Appleton is being given a pretty big say
    I am not so sure I think we are using the DoF method of selecting players to make the manager easier to replace.  Scott said a long time ago that we should be 352, long before any manager did.
  • Sponsored links:

• If Appleton was sacked today I wouldn’t be bothered but I do think that part of Charltons problem and has been for some time is the absolute clamour by fans to sack the manager whenever we go through a bad run. All teams have them and all managers have them. Things need to improve and improve quickly but Appleton started off well enough and once we see the new players integrated I think our results will steady. Is he the right man going forward ? I don’t think so but I also don’t think sacking him now is particularly helpful. 
    Most of the managers we have sacked in recent times has been little to do with the supporters. The fan pressure myth that is being put about by the boards unofficial spokesperson (not you) is a shifting of their own failings
  • Croydon said:
    If Appleton was sacked today I wouldn’t be bothered but I do think that part of Charltons problem and has been for some time is the absolute clamour by fans to sack the manager whenever we go through a bad run. All teams have them and all managers have them. Things need to improve and improve quickly but Appleton started off well enough and once we see the new players integrated I think our results will steady. Is he the right man going forward ? I don’t think so but I also don’t think sacking him now is particularly helpful. 
    It’s about timing isn’t it ? We’ll come through the bad run and stabilise and at that point which I assume to be 15 games into next season assess then. 
    At least Garner showed some passion. 
    Ipswich was it, that he had that little mental moment and we ended up getting a point? 
    Appleton can't even remove his hands from his pockets. Absolutely nothing likeable about him. 
  • Wondering if the sacking will wait until the transfer windows closed, though I’m not sure what’s easier convincing players to join a club with a crap manager or with no-one in charge.
  • The problem was the appointment of Appleton in the first place. 

Glad the directors have realised their mistake before he could cause too much damage this season. 
  • cfgs said:
    fenaddick said:
    cfgs said:
    Belv said:
    Croydon said:

Exactly.

I am not so sure I think we are using the DoF method of selecting players to make the manager easier to replace.  Scott said a long time ago that we should be 352, long before any manager did.
    at least 2 of the players brought in have played for MA before and said he was a big reason for them coming
  • Sponsored links:

• mart77 said:
    Of all the problems currently facing the club the fans are way down on the list.
    Sections of the fan base have called for the sacking of every manager we’ve had since and including Curbishley whenever the team have a bad run. Appleton wasn’t the correct choice imho but he’s in the chair and we must break the cycle of demanding sackings.  My own view is that is that he’ll be gone next season at some point but just like the SMT seem to have realised that we need better quality recruitment for players I hope they realise that the manager choice is key and go for the absolute best candidate they can.
  • Throw away another season just for the sake of. Jesus wept 
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    It’s about timing isn’t it ? We’ll come through the bad run and stabilise and at that point which I assume to be 15 games into next season assess then. 
    So you'd give 15 games of next season regardless? You said yourself he's not the man to take us forward, so why would you give him nearly a third of next season as well?
    Because I don’t think it’s sensible to keep replacing managers x 2 each and every season. 
  • I have been vocally critical about the current decision makers but they have at least appeared to admit with actions that they made a mess of Summer recruitment, trying to correct that. 

They need to accept they made the same mistake hiring Appleton, correct it before things get even worse. 
  • Croydon said:
    Throw away another season just for the sake of. Jesus wept 
    Seasons been long gone for months. 
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    So you'd give 15 games of next season regardless? You said yourself he's not the man to take us forward, so why would you give him nearly a third of next season as well?
    Because I don’t think it’s sensible to keep replacing managers x 2 each and every season. 
    The last two appointments just scream cheap.  The player recruitment has changed so the manager selection also has to, any appointment is a risk but we have to start going for in demand people not the last resort option for sensible clubs.
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    But you have no other reason other than that. Brilliant
  • I didn't like the Appleton appointment from the start , felt unambitious and very middle of the road. If he is to go today like he should , I hope the ownership show the same ambition on getting the new man in as they have done in this transfer window. Go and push the boat out and not another name off the carousel of EFL journeymen.