Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• The calculation has to be, what stops us being totally swamped in a relegation battle, suspect Tuesday will decide it 
  • seth plum said:
    I will be there on Tuesday along with about 3000 die hards girding my loins for what is undoubtedly a relegation battle.
    I doubt very much if our survival matters as much to Mr Appleton as it does to me.
    Your loins must take a lot of girding!
  • Rothko said:
    The calculation has to be, what stops us being totally swamped in a relegation battle, suspect Tuesday will decide it 
    Whilst I can agree that failing to win Tuesday means he must go I’m not sure that winning means he should remain. 

Times up. 
    Just think it buys time, line will be, look new signings are working, and it’s all going to be fine.

then sacked in April 
  • Can’t wait to see what the 8, 8 and 8s look like when we’re in the league 2
  • Croydon said:
    So, for those still backing Appleton. Why?
    Is anyone?
  • Sponsored links:

• Get it done and move on. Get someone in who can get the place rocking again. The Valley has been like a morgue for the past few years 
  • I suspect he has lost the dressing room. We are worse than the sum of our parts, repeatedly. I think he told a lot of the players they won't be here soon or made them feel that way. I don't really care about most of these players anyway. He gambled and messed up. Dobson, CBT and Jones look like a shell. 
    Fwiw i think he is a great coach and I don't like sacking managers, but he will probably be out of here soon. 
  • God knows we have been crying out for both stability of club ownership and in the team manager/coach position. But hardly any club would continue with Appleton based on the run of results we have had.

I wasn’t convinced when he was appointed. But we were would told he was “good on the grass” and worked well in developing young players. Well we have seen precious little evidence of that. And I have seen more charisma coming from a shop mannequin.

Time for the SMT and owners to bite the bullet, pull the trigger etc etc.
  • Think the manner was the defeat has probably put the nail in the coffin. All teams can get beat, but the second half sounded like we had run out of ideas and were never close to turning the result around. Zero idea how he survives this.
  • Should never have got rid of Jacko
    Maybe not. But he had similar issues. Struggled to win games if we conceded early towards the end of his time with us and went through a real patch where we couldn’t win. Doing alright at Wimbledon though, which is a long-term project to turnaround. 

Bowyer losing faith in Sandgaard and leaving was the bigger problem. 
  • Lost the fans, no turning back
    I genuinely feel that he has also lost the team as well.

His body language,and the body language of some of the players speak a thousand words.
    Judging by the way May was sounding off at the end of the game, it isn't just body language.
  • Sponsored links:

• A potato could probably equal Appleton's performance thus far.
  • Average manager, cheap squad full of mostly freebies, youngsters and loans.

Bound to go well this.
    I was too optimistic calling him average.
  • Average manager, cheap squad full of mostly freebies, youngsters and loans.

Bound to go well this.
    I was too optimistic calling him average.
    Don’t worry, I got carried away too. I described myself as “whelmed”.
  • I have just looked at pages 1,2 & 3 of this thread when Appleton was appointed back in September.

Virtually every C L poster is saying that this appointment will not end well.

Who ever thought that appointing Appleton was a good idea? 

Utter madness.
    They got him on the cheap, like they did the summer on the cheap. Luckily they've learnt from their mistake with the squad, won't be long before Appleton goes I hope.
  • If the owners give the slightest toss about keeping their investment from going even further down the tubes there is no other course of action but to say ta ta.
  • My son reckons we’ve not won a league since Miles got injured, don’t know if this is correct, if it is it’s pretty shocking.
  • edited January 20
    Cheltenham at home was our last win, Miles was injured in that game, so yeah.