Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• It was never going to end well. Rejected by the people we actually wanted in…..just for the board just to get their mate in….
    Therein lies the problem ultimately.

Scott is to blame primarily for this, plus whoever it was who took him on.
  • NabySarr said:
    Get Michael duff in now. Knows how to coach this formation, got Alfie May scoring at Cheltenham, proven at this level 
     Recently flopped at Swansea.

Personally think we need better.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    NabySarr said:
    Get Michael duff in now. Knows how to coach this formation, got Alfie May scoring at Cheltenham, proven at this level 

Fans didn’t like the style of football so he was unpopular from the start. In league 1 and league 2 he’s done very well 

Really don’t see how we can get better than that, who would you suggest? I would have thought Duff is pretty much the top of our ceiling and might even reject us to hold out for another championship opportunity 
  • Won’t get better than Duff. Rowett would be my second choice. Wouldn’t particularly want Pearson.
  • edited January 20
    Thanks for the memories, Michael...
  • Next two games and no wins . Pleasure is  on 
  • NabySarr said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    NabySarr said:

Fans didn’t like the style of football so he was unpopular from the start. In league 1 and league 2 he’s done very well 

Really don’t see how we can get better than that, who would you suggest? I would have thought Duff is pretty much the top of our ceiling and might even reject us to hold out for another championship opportunity 

Found it a weird appointment from Swansea stylistically. Going back to Martinez they've always had a style of manager they've gone for (bar the Bob Bradley catastrophe) , I wouldn't count it not working at Swansea as a black mark against Duff as an option for us. In fact there's not a huge amount of better available options that I'd  want over Duff. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Next two games and no wins . Pleasure is  on 
    Yep, so much pleasure. 
  • he couldn’t really say much else to be fair. He’s hardly l say “no I’m getting sacked”
  • I will be there on Tuesday along with about 3000 die hards girding my loins for what is undoubtedly a relegation battle.
    I doubt very much if our survival matters as much to Mr Appleton as it does to me.
  • With the movement in this window, our squad is looking a lot more attractive than it did when we were managerless in August. I'm hoping we'd be able to attract at the very least an upgrade on MA (fucking low bar I know), but then are they going to want to come seeing our turnover...

Who knows really. But he's got to go. A new manager bounce would keep us up even if he turns out to be utterly useless when the bounce is over.
  • NabySarr said:
     I'm not entirely sure that's enough. Garner was good at this level. But we are a much bigger entity than Swindon and he never got to grips with it. Past players as managers have always done better than outsiders where we are concerned. There may well be a reason for that.

Now I'm not saying we should go back for Powell or Bowyer but you cannot deny that their knowledge of the club and it's fans had a factor in their success.
  • NabySarr said:
     I'm not entirely sure that's enough. Garner was good at this level. But we are a much bigger entity than Swindon and he never got to grips with it. Past players as managers have always done better than outsiders where we are concerned. There may well be a reason for that.

Now I'm not saying we should go back for Powell or Bowyer but you cannot deny that their knowledge of the club and its fans had a factor in their success.
    Garner had never managed at this level before getting the job? Duff got a newly promoted Cheltenham to mid-table and then Barnsley to a play off final

I wouldn’t be that against Bowyer, as I think this squad would suit him. Always did well when we had a strike partnership and 3-5-2/4-4-2 diamond would work 
  • NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

Now I'm not saying we should go back for Powell or Bowyer but you cannot deny that their knowledge of the club and its fans had a factor in their success.
    Garner had never managed at this level before getting the job? Duff got a newly promoted Cheltenham to mid-table and then Barnsley to a play off final

I wouldn’t be that against Bowyer, as I think this squad would suit him. Always did well when we had a strike partnership and 3-5-2/4-4-2 diamond would work 
    Garner was Manager with Bristol Rovers in his first job at this level
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 20
    I would take Powell or Garner or indeed Pearson but we all know we will get another Garner or Appleton. Appleton has the job and if he wants to keep it, I would say to him that he is rightly accusing some of his players of lacking courage in their play. Well he needs to show courage and drop those players. And at this time T Thomas is not one of them! Jones and Ness are. And T Watson gives us nothing. Please Appleton see that, please.
  • Croydon said:
    I just can't understand why you'd stick with him, because clearly he isn't the man who will take us up next season. 

Not one player has improved under his coaching, with some getting worse every week. Zero tactical nous, hideous game management and the entire fanbase against him.

Why prolong the inevitable? If this window is about signing players for next season, why aren't we doing the same with the manager.

Spot on mate especially first and third paragraphs.
  • You should never wish for your team to lose.
    But.
    I reckon if we lose Tuesday he gets the sack and we replace him.
    If we win Tuesday he limps on for a few more weeks. 
    Tough one ain't it.
  • Not one for hounding a manager out, but cant far off appleton out chants
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Not one for hounding a manager out, but cant far off appleton out chants
    They started a few games ago. Was getting pelters second half today by all accounts.
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Not one for hounding a manager out, but cant far off appleton out chants
    But he is no good, with no prospect of improving.

• Shambles. Get rid now, serious risk of going down.