Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Didn’t Rodwell say the board would listen to the fans? He obviously needs to read this thread and take note.
  • To1SCP said:
    Didn’t Rodwell say the board would listen to the fans? He obviously needs to read this thread and take note.
    He also said it’s our fault he’s not been sacked because we complained Holden was not given enough time …….. 
  • Andy Scott seems like an intelligent bloke but does he just want to work with a passive manager like Appleton…or could his ego handle a proper boss, the type we need, who has a vision and passion?
    For example, would Curbishley get the job now if he was 35 or are they looking for a beige on the grass coach who doesn’t rock the boat? 
  • It could be argued the clowns have been waiting for the window to open to get his players in.

However, IF we were to win one of our next ten my money says he'll be out of the door.
    Extremely confident that’s not happening but even if it did, I think he keeps his job.
    Why would he keep his job if he's backed in this window and we slide towards relegation?

He needs a win in the next two games because we then have a pretty tough run through to March and we will be bang in trouble.
  • After that post match conference. 2 10s lol. GO!
  • cabbles said:
    Just listened to his comments, it’s almost as if nothing’s wrong and because we’ve signed and may be signing a few more players, plus we ‘had a go’ in the second half, case closed.  We’ll be okay 

mental 
    Never read or listen to any of the pre or post match comments by any managers, Charlton, opposition, Southgate etc. No one is honest and will ever say anything to affect their employment. 

Appleton is never going to admit he made a huge error in the starting line-up and the blame relies purely on him. Just a PR exercise for themselves. 
    But if you listen to them over a period, it does actually tell you something.  Of course they aren’t going to go into great detail, but with each and every one of the last 5/6, it’s as if he’s in denial 
  • It's a long way to Egypt but I'll take him there myself and chuck him in. 
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Still think there’s nothing about him that is any worse than the last four managers we’ve had.

All went through bad runs of form. Appleton is lucky in that it appear that he’s the first of the bunch to finally be backed.

He’s obviously going to be here for AT LEAST the rest of this season and the early part of next so if you don’t like him, you’ll have to get used to it.
    His personality? To be more unlikeable than Garner is some feat.
    Yet everyone loved Bowyer, perhaps one of the most unlikeable blokes to be associated with CAFC.
    Going by your metric, that says more about Appleton doesn't it? Bloke has absolutely nothing about him, the wettest of wet lettuces. 
    People looked past Bowyer’s personal shortcomings because he won a few games. They would do the same for Appleton as soon as this bad run of form turned around.
    'Won a few games'. OK 👍🏼  
  • edited January 14
    It could be argued the clowns have been waiting for the window to open to get his players in.

However, IF we were to win one of our next ten my money says he'll be out of the door.
    Extremely confident that’s not happening but even if it did, I think he keeps his job.
    Why would he keep his job if he's backed in this window and we slide towards relegation?

He needs a win in the next two games because we then have a pretty tough run through to March and we will be bang in trouble.
    I think this slide has already put us bang in trouble. Another poor season means a rebuild that is costly. A relegation would mean a salvage operation, where it would be near impossible to attract players, fans or investors to the club.

I can think of many clubs that have given as much time. Christ even Wayne Rooney didn't have as bad a time, did he? And their ownwrs were thinking he was the messiah.

Football is a sure way to lose your money and reputation for owners. Why oh why did our misfits and race horse owner wannabes ever buy our club? They must have been more gullible than crypto buyers (including me), and even I wouldn't invest in a football club and expect to turn a profit.

Appleton has done nothing so far to prove himself. That said, now he is starting to get an improved squad, I very much believe that improvements on the pitch, I. E results (not performances) must be commensurate, if he is to stay in his job.

I feel that fans have already given up on him and he couldn't be more unpopular if he'd previously lead Millwall and Palace to a league and cup double! 
  • Sponsored links:

• So in the 2nd half he played a system that suited the players on the pitch and we improved significantly. 

Where has that been in the last 10 games ? 
    That second half showed that with the players we’ve had available, you can set them up in a way that means we’d pick up points in this league. A decent manager would have realised that ages ago, it’s just taken Appleton 2 months to realise it and he’s ruined our season by not adapting sooner 
  • NabySarr said:
    So in the 2nd half he played a system that suited the players on the pitch and we improved significantly. 

That second half showed that with the players we’ve had available, you can set them up in a way that means we’d pick up points in this league. A decent manager would have realised that ages ago, it’s just taken Appleton 2 months to realise it and he’s ruined our season by not adapting sooner 
    100% this, blokes an absolute idiot.

If we don’t get rid soon I truly believe we will get dragged into a relegation battle in a league which quite honestly is poor.
  • So in the 2nd half he played a system that suited the players on the pitch and we improved significantly. 

The biggest difference was he subbed two players who were not contributing for two that did. When you are playing a top side in the League you can't carry players.
  • Appleton might well be the most reluctant to take responsibility manager I have ever known at Charlton.
    What does he do when he runs out of somebody or something else to blame?
    Secretly crock Alfie May in the corridors of Sparrows Lane in order to provide the next excuse?

The biggest difference was he subbed two players who were not contributing for two that did. When you are playing a top side in the League you can't carry players.
    But why did it take him until half time to do that ?  Surely he could have tried to change something when he saw that it we were awful ? love or hate Bowyer , he would frequently change formation early if we weren't getting any joy. 

Hopefully Fleming arriving has given him someone in his ear who can help him with the tactics during the game, because i havent seen much so far to suggest that he has the tactical nous to help the players out. 
  • You have to give Appleton credit for one thing.

Can’t throw away points in the last 10 minutes if your already losing. Very clever of us.
  • Sponsored links:

• You have to give Appleton credit for one thing.

Can’t throw away points in the last 10 minutes if your already losing. Very clever of us.
    Masterstroke lol was also thinking when the Peterborough players kept going down second half it's a clever tactic let the game get close to 90 then they will have plenty of injury time to beat us with our late goal frailties.
  • To be fair to Appleton he's probably the best in game manager we've ever had.

Sadly he's also the worst manager for starting matches, formations and tactical awareness from the off we've had since Fraeye.   
    Between 45 and 65 minutes he becomes a tactical genius as he works out what he has tried from the off is not working, playing May up front on his lonesome doesn't work, the Campbell's out wide doesn't work, having poor old Dobbo flogging his bollocks off in the middle of the park doesn't work, so he changes things and hey presto we improve a bit.

Doesn't change the fact he's a clueless numbnuts for the start of each game and we keep losing too.

I genuinely right now, can't see where the next 3 points are coming from!
  • edited January 14
    We need to be picking up at least 3 points from the next two, if he doesn't get that, I think he'll be gone. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    CBT is injured.. wasn’t dropped!

Appleton will not be going anywhere, he will
    have this season and at least until November next year.. so I would just get behind him..

I think we will see a lot of improvements now 
    Not seen anyone say CBT was dropped.

Hope you mean November this year? If so then November it is, but a waste of time and another season I'm afraid. Might as well bin him off now and be done with it.
    You need to give a manager a chance, with the players he wants, and be given the tools.. post January I will start to judge him
    Yeah let's just ignore a quarter of the season because a manager can't manage. 
    Mate, don’t know who you are, but you bore me with your constant negativity..And not allowing the owners a chance. Rome wasn’t built in a day..

Today is the only day for me, he has got tactically wrong, before this, we have had a depleted squad, with over hyper youngsters playing! 
    I agree with you, I'm all for giving him a chance. But I do question how after such a long time with Alfie he thinks the best way to use him is with the Campbells either side. I think once he's got better results going is the time to prove how good he is at developing youngsters. Up to now he's had to use youngsters which no-one blames him for. I really hope he sorts out decent tactics/formation to best use the best assets he's got........ it's time now and to be honest that's a nagging doubt about him........ why could he not see that before the game yesterday rather than at half-time?
  • I think it's too soon to change Manager
  • Yesterday’s first half was as bad as the first half against Bolton, when Appleton decided to play May upfront isolated. Surely he must remember that?
  • I was told by a mate who sits behind Appleton, that May ran over to him twice in the first half, shouting the formation wasn't working and to change it. 

Apparently Appleton said no and May told him to fuck off. He did the same the second time and Appleton told him to button it.

This tells me that he has lost the players. Watching from the upper covered end, I could see May moaning continually in the first half at Tupac for not initiating the press. Wouldn't surprise me if Alfie led a revolt in the dressing room at ht, hence the much needed changes.

Fellow fans can dress it up all they like but imo, other than Freye he is the worst manager we've ever had. Absolutely sick at how poorly managed we've been since Bowyer left.

Pretty sure us older fans could regularly pick a better team from the players available in the last 4 years. I'll leave the coaches to do the tactics.

What I would say is as a club every promotion has been achieved in my lifetime with two up top. Ffs it's not rocket silence, even if Cowboy Callum thinks it is.
    Leaving aside the personal dig (weird), I’d love to hear someone else corroborate your mate’s story. 

There are plenty of other fans on this forum who sit near the dugout and the fact it’s not come up until 24 hours after the game is odd.

Doesn’t sound like something Alfie would do.
  • edited January 14
    I was told by a mate who sits behind Appleton, that May ran over to him twice in the first half, shouting the formation wasn't working and to change it. 

Apparently Appleton said no and May told him to fuck off. He did the same the second time and Appleton told him to button it.

This tells me that he has lost the players. Watching from the upper covered end, I could see May moaning continually in the first half at Tupac for not initiating the press. Wouldn't surprise me if Alfie led a revolt in the dressing room at ht, hence the much needed changes.

Fellow fans can dress it up all they like but imo, other than Freye he is the worst manager we've ever had. Absolutely sick at how poorly managed we've been since Bowyer left.

Pretty sure us older fans could regularly pick a better team from the players available in the last 4 years. I'll leave the coaches to do the tactics.

What I would say is as a club every promotion has been achieved in my lifetime with two up top. Ffs it's not rocket silence, even if Cowboy Callum thinks it is.
    Leaving aside the personal dig (weird), I’d love to hear someone else corroborate your mate’s story. 

There are plenty of other fans on this forum who sit near the dugout and the fact it’s not come up until 24 hours after the game is odd.

I sat in the Directors’ box at the Bolton game, he said nothing during the first half to the team, there was a break in the game due to an injury. During that break, May came over and basically said to Appleton, you expect me to play up front on my own. The game restarted and the formation remained the same.
  • edited January 14
    I was told by a mate who sits behind Appleton, that May ran over to him twice in the first half, shouting the formation wasn't working and to change it. 

Alfie was definitely moaning about the press yesterday and he does in general moan at players for not helping him in the press.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else heard that from May yesterday, he has definitely yelled over at Appleton about players effort levels and struggling to get out in previous games, I can tell you that much as I've seen that and heard it for myself.