Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• RedRobin said:
    Cheltenham at home was our last win, Miles was injured in that game, so yeah. 
    Yeah but we won that and why were people not happy with the performance 
  • edited January 21
    #comebackchrissy
  • What were Brown and Curbs comments after the game anyone listen?
  • I’d obviously love it to be Chris Powell but I think that would be a risky appointment. He’s not had a club management job for ages 

If we want to go down a Charlton route then Bowyer would be a better choice in my opinion. The squad we are building suits his style a lot more, he always did well when he had a strike partnership to build around and I could see him setting up his 4-4-2 diamond and 3-5-2 that we used in the promotion year 
  • The fact we’ve resigned ourselves to 352 is insane. Literally switched to it during a losing run and we’ve continued to lose. Appleton was more successful playing a very attacking 424. Before he switched it, play May on the wing and just showed how clueless he was. 
  • JordanJLD said:
    The fact we’ve resigned ourselves to 352 is insane. Literally switched to it during a losing run and we’ve continued to lose. Appleton was more successful playing a very attacking 424. Before he switched it, play May on the wing and just showed how clueless he was. 
    We’ve only played it for a game and a half. The half against Peterborough was very good, 1st half yesterday ok, second half shocking. We just need a manager that knows how to coach the system 
  • Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:
    I’d obviously love it to be Chris Powell but I think that would be a risky appointment. He’s not had a club management job for ages 

If we want to go down a Charlton route then Bowyer would be a better choice in my opinion. The squad we are building suits his style a lot more, he always did well when he had a strike partnership to build around and I could see him setting up his 4-4-2 diamond and 3-5-2 that we used in the promotion year 
    I was thinking the same. Edmonds-wagstaff would play the beliek (spelling) roles. He could drop back into a 3 or be the base of the diamond. Bakinson and Coventry as the 2, we just need someone at the top of the diamond 
  • cfgs said:
    I don't want Powell back.  I love the bloke and what he did for us, he doesn't deserve to inherit this mound of poo.
    You could say the same about the squad he inherited in 2010 and he didn't do a bad job of turning it around over the summer.
  • 15 mins till the emergency board meeting starts if you believe the rumours on social media.

Not sure if this one will be live on Charlton TV 🙂
  • Valley11 said:
    One man for this job now: Chris Powell
    A manager who wasn’t backed when he had built momentum last time, but would be now. 
    I know they asked him to be interim and it was an insult but Scott needs to go back to Powell and grovel.
    I actually think they would work well together. Scott doesn’t want an alpha coach and Powell wants to be backed, which appears to be happening.
    Get it done. I genuinely think he’d be the missing piece of the puzzle for this ownership
    I wish we could get over this obsession. That was then, this is now. He’s been generally poor when given the reins since he left us and Charlton is not the same beast as when he was here before. We need a current quality manager not to keep harking back to what was. I doubt he’d entertain it anyway thank goodness.
  • What’s happening with the corner flag ?
  • Looking at that second goal I think I want Duff, young enough but experienced enough, but also a decent centre back at this level.  When the ball was played back in a few of our lot hung back playing on all those attackers and no other defenders bothered to come back towards the danger.
    Storm Isha blew it down
  • Sponsored links:

Storm Isha blew it down
    I knew it. I knew it.
  • i think Appleton will get the Northampton game so the SMT can see how he plans to use the new players from the start of a game. Has to be a reset otherwise I think he’s gone. 

If that happens, how about Graham Potter? Unless Palace grab him after sacking uncle Roy. 
    This is the problem. We keep setting a low bar when it comes to searching for managers. Why go for Potter when we could go for Pep. Thinking we could sweeten the offer by giving them Fiorini back. We have already helped them massively by sending Tedic back to cover Haaland’s absence. 
  • For MA I imagine the consequence is that he likely won’t get another role for some time. 

Not a reason not to push the button just an observation. 
  • Over the next couple of weeks we’re going to have to integrate upwards of 7 (?) new players. I’m not sure that integrating a new manager at this point is that good an idea. I don’t believe any of the rumours that there’s an emergency board meeting or that he’s got until Tuesday. If he was going to get sacked he’d be gone today. Tuesday is important and three points will settle the nerves and see the new lads make an impact from then on.
  • Croydon said:
    Over the next couple of weeks we’re going to have to integrate upwards of 7 (?) new players. I’m not sure that integrating a new manager at this point is that good an idea. I don’t believe any of the rumours that there’s an emergency board meeting or that he’s got until Tuesday. If he was going to get sacked he’d be gone today. Tuesday is important and three points will settle the nerves and see the new lads make an impact from then on.
    Why would a new manager not work with all the new faces? We're clearly changing playing system anyway, so it could be the ideal time to bring in someone new. What good does it do bringing new players into such a negative environment? 

Exactly.

All the players are going to be new to a new manager anyway. 
  • Valley11 said:
    One man for this job now: Chris Powell
    A manager who wasn’t backed when he had built momentum last time, but would be now. 
    I know they asked him to be interim and it was an insult but Scott needs to go back to Powell and grovel.
    I actually think they would work well together. Scott doesn’t want an alpha coach and Powell wants to be backed, which appears to be happening.
    Get it done. I genuinely think he’d be the missing piece of the puzzle for this ownership
    I wish we could get over this obsession. That was then, this is now. He’s been generally poor when given the reins since he left us and Charlton is not the same beast as when he was here before. We need a current quality manager not to keep harking back to what was. I doubt he’d entertain it anyway thank goodness.
    Agree.