Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• edited January 21
    Sage said:
    Wouldn’t be surprised that the hold up for the announcement that he’s gone is that they’re trying to finalise who will take the team tomorrow and Tuesday.

With this little time left of the window, you’d hope a new manager would be through the door very quickly and it doesn’t impact any good signings we are planning on making.

Good riddance to Appleton. 
    Reams is about as reliable source in these matters as we can get so I am sure he has gone. As for Tuesday, it makes sense for Fleming and Pearce to manage in the interim whilst they are finalising the manager. So why not announce that now? It would probably be unfair for a new manager to take the team on Tuesday and I'm sure they would prefer to have a look at it from the stands if they get appointed before that game. Pearce would be very useful to the new manager as he knows the young players and where they are at. 
  • If he is gone, why can't there be a very short statement saying so, stating further update tomorrow

its all part of the conspiracy by the mods to keep people on line!  
  • For what it’s worth. Although I never believed he was the right appointment, I don’t think he should have been sacked before yesterday. I am so fed up with us not giving managers a chance, but yesterday was absolutely the final straw for me. 

Am glad the rumours are flying from those who know more than me about the inner workings

• Having reshaped the squad to play 352, you watch we'll get a manager in who wants to play 433. Or 4231. Maybe even 442.

And you think I'm joking! 🤔 
    Isn’t that the point though. The Club sets the formation we want to play and then if you replace the Manager you get a new one in who normally plays that system or is happy to, otherwise you get a constant churn of players.

It’s lucky that Duff is suited to 3-5-2.
    The Club setting the formation is probably 80% of the problem! It’s like saying I only want a car that goes in straight lines. 
  • Chunes said:
    It's bonkers that they gave Holden the summer then had to sack hin, then let Appleton build a team in the Jan window, and look like they'll have to sack him while the window is still open. And we're supposed to believe this SMT know what they're doing!
    I can almost forgive for the initial signing but he should of gone weeks ago when you consider the potential investment.
  • kentred2 said:
    Having reshaped the squad to play 352, you watch we'll get a manager in who wants to play 433. Or 4231. Maybe even 442.

Isn’t that the point though. The Club sets the formation we want to play and then if you replace the Manager you get a new one in who normally plays that system or is happy to, otherwise you get a constant churn of players.

The Club setting the formation is probably 80% of the problem! It’s like saying I only want a car that goes in straight lines. 
    Picking a style and formation and then recruiting players and managers for it is just the kind of sensible planning and thinking that has been missing from this club and why we are such a mess. We’ve gone from manager to manager, never consistent formation or style and therefore ended up with a mish-mash mess of a squad that doesn’t fit together 
  • kentred2 said:
    Having reshaped the squad to play 352, you watch we'll get a manager in who wants to play 433. Or 4231. Maybe even 442.

Any of the more commonly used formations can work. Get the manager and recruitment right then having a plan around your style of play and main formation is a positive thing rather than a problem.

We constantly change manager and with each new appointment go with a different style. It’s one of various reasons why our recruitment has been so poor.

I agree with it as long as there’s some flexibility, what we don’t want is yet another manager stubbornly trying to play one way. Bowyer did it well - mainly played a diamond but used several other formations, made tactical tweaks during games and found a good balance between possession football and going more direct. I don’t think bringing him back would be the right move, but we need a manager similarly flexible.
  • Sponsored links:

• A good manager should not be defined by a formation.

They should be able to produce results with players they have and we have a better squad than 17th in league one.
    Couldn't agree more Gary, a good manager adapts to the scenario they are in and will utilise the tools/players his given, I don't feel we've seen this from Appleton at all. Square pegs round holes. He also has no emotion, seems to not give any instructions in games and is not getting whatever they are practising in training across in games. 
  • Seem to be missing the fact Appleton was appointed as COACH not manager, not his recruitment ?
  • Well done @Gribbo...good job I didn't set 5000...🙄
  • Mrkinski said:
    Mrkinski said:
    If this clown is still in charge on Tuesday, The Valley could turn very toxic, very quickly.

That's as may be, but the team still needs to win, so maybe wait till full time eh...🤔
    I’m not the whole Valley crowd, but yes I’m sure we will withhold any potential displeasure until the end of the match.
    What ever goes on on the pitch I want  to see us spending our time and energy supporting the team.
    A section of our fans at Burton spent the whole of the second half berating Appleton and “not once” did they chant anything of good intention, such as actually supporting the team…..ridiculous and embarrassing I’m afraid to say.
    Was it the owners?
  • I couldn’t care less about the meaningless external noise that will inevitably tell us the club’s a mess etc we’ve had 25 managers whatever it is now since Curbs etc

It’s clear Appleton being appointed was a mistake and the best thing the club can do is accept it hasn’t worked out but make sure they get the next appointment right much in the way it seems they have accepted they got the summer transfer window mostly wrong.

Personally hope they ask Lee Bowyer what it would take to bring him back.

•   Said earlier I reckon he holds a grudge for too long. Probably got beat up a lot as a kid. Same reason he's pumped himself up to a brick sh*t house 
  • Sponsored links:

• Is Johnnie Jackson a definite no no then?
    Think he was harshly treated if I'm honest.He was working for a f******g crack pot.
    I can't see it but agree he was harshly treated. 
    Think he was harshly treated if I'm honest.He was working for a f******g crack pot.
    Why would he leave a settled job where he is doing well? When our managers average about 6 months in the job 
  • DDOUBLEE said:
    What is this fixation on formation?

Our manager and players should be able to
    mix and match and adapt as required / at all times. 

There may be a preference but it shouldn’t be anything more. 
    Agreed, but January’s recruitment clearly has a 3-5-2 in mind
    They are professionals. 

Can a coach really not managed more than one way?
  • edited January 21
    Appleton’s days were numbered the moment he had that argument with a fan Reading away in the Mickey Mouse cup, was never going to end well. 
  • Not seen Andy Woodman's name mentioned yet, would be left field but has done very well at Bromley
  • A new manager needs to proritise a right wing back. Appleton was talking about another striker. Was he actually happy with T Watson?
  • Oh well, there it is. Young players and academy focus 
    From September when Appleton was appointed.

Time to move onto Plan B.
  • For some reason, I can't get a very positive refrain out of my old 'ead.

" Michael Appleton. Ex Charlton manager "  :)
    From a reliable source Jean?
    Well, he's off my Xmas card list. 
    Why would we go back to a manager who failed entirely with us once? There was no period of success under Jackson apart from a very brief positive start. He might have found his feet a bit more at Wimbledon and learned slightly more tactical awareness but regardless of the ownership he was very bad. I absolutely love him but he's not like Bowyer and Powell (not them either thanks) where you can point to the successful part of his time at Charlton, it was all miserable
  • kentred2 said:

If you’re going to set a formation and style of play at a club, it needs to be at every level and have a proper coaching infrastructure from top to
    bottom. We don’t have that and it’s not like we have Johann Cruyff ready to step in and implement that.