Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• se9addick said:
    Hope they're ready for a toxic atmosphere on Tuesday night then
    If Appleton somehow makes it to next weekend then Blackpool away is going to be brutal for him - I believe their fans hate him more than us!
    Yep.Both sets of fans could sing in unison...... "We hate him more than you........"
    Fights breaking out in the stands about who had the better squad and played the worse football under Apples
  • edited January 21
    My Shrewsbury supporting mate reckons Appleton was seen at their training  ground this afternoon...🤔🙄
    Are we looking to sign anyone from Shrewsbury?
    Not sure, but their manager was seen heading in the opposite direction with a copy of the A-Z...🤷‍♂️
  • @DubaiCAFC have u heard anything last few hours ?
  • J BLOCK said:
    Tbh why would they confirm to anyone if it is true before they announce it
    They’d not comment on it. 
    They may as well have said he’s sacked
  • edited January 21
    I was told Apples was given 2 month rolling contract.. 
    Saves a big off if sacked.. 
  • edited January 21
    I don't know if the stats back it up, but my perception is that the majority of promotions from League One are won by managers in their first job or certainly still earlier in their careers. If managers are any good, they might start at this level but they don't stay here for long. To win promotion from this league you need players capable of playing the Championship. I think you also need a manager/coach capable of managing in the Championship. Nothing in Appleton's record suggests he is, or ever was, good enough for that level so his appointment never made sense from day one. 

If we're getting rid of him then in my opinion we should not be looking at well-known names, unless we can somehow tempt someone down to this level who you would really expect to be managing higher. That would be a very tough sell, so our chances of attracting a good enough manager to get us promoted are probably improved if we look for bright and ambitious young coach taking their first steps in management. The added wrinkle for us is we have rarely done well with managers with no previous connection to the club. Northerners don't seem to fair well down here either (Jimmy Seed aside).

I don't know who to suggest, I just don't know enough about what is going on at other clubs, but, for me, that is the general profile of manager we need to be finding. I'm hesitant on Bowyer and Powell. Bowyer could be a good fit for the squad, but will he work well with Andy Scott and head coach not manager structure? Same perhaps goes for Powell plus I'm not sure he would want to set up in a way that suits the squad we currently have.
  • nagAddick said:
    @DubaiCAFC have u heard anything last few hours ?
    He's probably asleep
  • My Shrewsbury supporting mate reckons Appleton was seen at their training  ground this afternoon...🤔🙄
    He’s good on the training grounds
  • Sponsored links:

• Reams still confident Apples has gone.
  • Reams still confident Apples has gone.
    Methven does not deal with Cawley nowadays?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    cfgs said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    This the problem its easy for us all to say Appleton should go but they took 3 weeks musing of Appletons appointment and that was all they could come up with. I'd just appoint a bit of fire fighter until the end of the season make sure we don't get sucked in to relegation  and spend the rest of the seasons getting the right man in ahead of preseason
    @Rylo @blackpool72 and myself would all love a go 
     Oooh Fire Fighter football friends 

Now now! 
  • I guess we’ll find out tomorrow. No way he’s allowed to do a pre match presser if he’s not going to be in charge 
  • Just checked and Charlton are saying it's not true 
  • I suspect, but have no inside info, that the club have denied this today so that the players can be told together as a group, either by Appleton or someone else. Then it will be announced.
  • PWR

Where have all the rumours come from, concrete source or fans wishful thinking?
  • I don't know if the stats back it up, but my perception is that the majority of promotions from League One are won by managers in their first job or certainly still earlier in their careers. If managers are any good, they might start at this level but they don't stay here for long. To win promotion from this league you need players capable of playing the Championship. I think you also need a manager/coach capable of managing in the Championship. Nothing in Appleton's record suggests he is, or ever was, good enough for that level so his appointment never made sense from day one. 

If we're getting rid of him then in my opinion we should not be looking at well-known names, unless we can somehow tempt someone down to this level who you would really expect to be managing higher. That would be a very tough sell, so our chances of attracting a good enough manager to get us promoted are probably improved if we look for bright and ambitious young coach taking their first steps in management. The added wrinkle for us is we have rarely done well with managers with no previous connection to the club. Northerners don't seem to fair well down here either (Jimmy Seed aside).

I don't know who to suggest, I just don't know enough about what is going on at other clubs, but, for me, that is the general profile of manager we need to be finding. I'm hesitant on Bowyer and Powell. Bowyer could be a good fit for the squad, but will he work well with Andy Scott and head coach not manager structure? Same perhaps goes for Powell plus I'm not sure he would want to set up in a way that suits the squad we currently have.
    A very quick look at the last couple of years generally supports this:

21/22 promoted sides:

• Wigan - Leam Richardson, second job, first full season in charge 
    • Rotherham - Paul Warne, first job, first full season was 2018 where he got them promoted was and promoted three times from League One with Rotherham, including 21/22
    • Sunderland - Alex Neil, fourth job, appointed mid-season (February), promoted the same season 

22/23 promoted sides:

• Plymouth - Steven Schumacher, first job, appointed in Dec 21. Promoted in second full season in charge. 
    • Ipswich - Kieran McKenna, first job, Dec 21. Second full season in charge.
    • Wednesday - Darren Moore, 3rd job, March 21, relegated from The Championship, second full season in charge

• Sponsored links:

• If Apples has gone then I would be very happy to see Andy Scott join him out the door. 
    Has bought in two poor managers and a whole tonne of crap players (this windows players currently exempt given they have not settled yet).
    Having to sack both managers mid transfer window is really dreadful performance by him.
    He threw Holden right under the bus I thought when he left with his comments, I wonder if he does the same with Apples.
    You'll be popular down the training ground  ;)
  • I don't know if the stats back it up, but my perception is that the majority of promotions from League One are won by managers in their first job or certainly still earlier in their careers. If managers are any good, they might start at this level but they don't stay here for long. To win promotion from this league you need players capable of playing the Championship. I think you also need a manager/coach capable of managing in the Championship. Nothing in Appleton's record suggests he is, or ever was, good enough for that level so his appointment never made sense from day one. 

Appointing a manager like that is always a bit of a gamble, though. I think we've had a run of managers that would probably be better suited to being assistants, and there's the risk of getting someone in that mould again. That said, experienced managers haven't really worked out for us either. The coaches I can think of off the top of my head who have a connection to the club are Jason Pearce (who doesn't seem to feel he's ready yet), Jason Euell and Andy Hughes (a northerner, though).
  • To be fair, it isn’t necessarily. The wheels could be put in motion which is where fans generally get their rumours from, but the club haven’t actually pulled the trigger which is where Cawley would get his more official info from.

Lets hope it happens soon, because you’ve got an entire fan base who are willing it to happen and that can only ever end one way.
  • RedRobin said:
    Appleton’s days were numbered the moment he had that argument with a fan Reading away in the Mickey Mouse cup, was never going to end well. 

Appletons days were numbered after our stupid SMT offered him the job in the first place