Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Suspect he will be given Tuesday as a make or break game. Its sad to admit but I hope we get battered 
  • Suspect he will be given Tuesday as a make or break game. Its sad to admit but I hope we get battered 
    A bit like away to Swindon under Slade. Defeat incoming..
  • Maybe he's been told that he's getting sacked in the morning. 
  • What is this fixation on formation?

Our manager and players should be able to
    mix and match and adapt as required / at all times. 

There may be a preference but it shouldn’t be anything more. 
    And even adapt during a game. Any manager in anything needs to manage with what they have. This division regularly has teams with low budgets who have a manager who organises what he has and uses a little creativity to get a side promoted. I very much doubt such sides ever have an Andy Scott type second guessing a manager who is as inflexible as Appleton. If Rodwell/Methven could judge anything they would have seen that such a combination was doomed to failure from the beginning as was Scott and Holden. Sack both of them.
  • I would probably favour Nigel Pearson or Chrissy Powell as the  next manager as they probably have enough bottom to keep Scott in his box as a slightly glorified scout.
  • Gribbo said:
    Rumour he's staying
    Staying where ? 
  • From Wikipedia about Andy Scott:

In August 2022, Scott revealed that he would not return to football management and that he had been "in management for a reason and that was to develop players, organise teams and get everyone playing the way I wanted to play. Realistically, where I was going to go after Aldershot was scrambling around at that level, I didn’t want to be a journeyman manager applying for every job. Now I’m forging out a new career where I’m fortunate to be in the position I am in".
  • Croydon said:
    If we go a goal down on Tuesday that is going to horrible for him. Not that he cares 
    What evidence do you have that he doesn’t care?
    Strange thing to say Croydon.🧐
  • I wonder if we’d ever go completely out there and appoint a foreign coach who’s been an assistant or first team coach at a decent level. A fair few Football League clubs have had success with this route.

I’ll throw a name out there I’d like to see given a crack if he ever wanted it: Albert Capellas.

Barcelona man, coached at La Masia, Barca B, has been assistant at Dortmund, has managed Denmark U21s and Midtjylland, has done a bit with the FA here too.

If the club genuinely wanted to develop a footballing philosophy and style through the club they’d look at coaches like this. 

Just a name, I highly doubt we’d ever look his way or be able to afford him or that he’d want to come here. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Gribbo said:
    Rumour he's staying
    God you’re good
  • For what it is worth I believe Reams is correct and Appleton is gone.

There may be some loose ends to tie up, but Appleton is history!
    He said his source wasnt his usual and he may have been fed false info but he still believes it will happen

fingers crossed as he is usually bang on the money most the time
    Is he really?
  • This club’s a bloody circus. 
  • Gribbo said:
    Rumour he's staying
    Where from?
  • edited January 21

Suspect he will be given Tuesday as a make or break game. Its sad to admit but I hope we get battered 
    As a true Addick…….I NEVER want us to lose…..let alone get battered. 🤨🤨🤨

We are quite good at losing though, even though I don't want us to.
  • Sponsored links:

• I like to think it’ll be announced Monday. No smoke without fire and all that. Probably because (1) today’s a Sunday and (2) it won’t be announced until they have it clear who’ll be doing his job.
  • edited January 21
    Gillis said:
    I don't know if the stats back it up, but my perception is that the majority of promotions from League One are won by managers in their first job or certainly still earlier in their careers. If managers are any good, they might start at this level but they don't stay here for long. To win promotion from this league you need players capable of playing the Championship. I think you also need a manager/coach capable of managing in the Championship. Nothing in Appleton's record suggests he is, or ever was, good enough for that level so his appointment never made sense from day one. 

If we're getting rid of him then in my opinion we should not be looking at well-known names, unless we can somehow tempt someone down to this level who you would really expect to be managing higher. That would be a very tough sell, so our chances of attracting a good enough manager to get us promoted are probably improved if we look for bright and ambitious young coach taking their first steps in management. The added wrinkle for us is we have rarely done well with managers with no previous connection to the club. Northerners don't seem to fair well down here either (Jimmy Seed aside).

I don't know who to suggest, I just don't know enough about what is going on at other clubs, but, for me, that is the general profile of manager we need to be finding. I'm hesitant on Bowyer and Powell. Bowyer could be a good fit for the squad, but will he work well with Andy Scott and head coach not manager structure? Same perhaps goes for Powell plus I'm not sure he would want to set up in a way that suits the squad we currently have.

Appointing a manager like that is always a bit of a gamble, though. I think we've had a run of managers that would probably be better suited to being assistants, and there's the risk of getting someone in that mould again. That said, experienced managers haven't really worked out for us either. The coaches I can think of off the top of my head who have a connection to the club are Jason Pearce (who doesn't seem to feel he's ready yet), Jason Euell and Andy Hughes (a northerner, though).
    It is more of a gamble but with a greater upside. Appleton and Adkins were supposed to be experienced safe pairs of hands but that didn’t go great, either.

To be honest, our club has been such a mess, that the issues have always been about more than simply who the manager is. Looking at what has and hasn’t worked for us probably isn’t that helpful (because, really, nothing has worked recently) so looking at what has worked for other teams might serve us better. That seems to generally be new managers. 

Whether we have people running the club who can attract and select the right first time manager is another question. I think fortune favours the brave in these situations though. 

He said his source wasnt his usual and he may have been fed false info but he still believes it will happen

fingers crossed as he is usually bang on the money most the time
    Is he really?
    From what i have seen over time yes ! Same as quite a few on here aswell !

I really dont get the deep hatred both this place and his have against eachother always seeing digs and harsh things said really and truthfully we are all charlton fans and want the best for the club and i just come on here and there hoping to see the smallest bit of positivity

yes we can all have different opinions but its all abit boring now 
  • PWR

The other forum has posted that Appleton has been sacked. Whether this is true or a case of an “in the know” not actually knowing anything, remains to be seen. 

I will however be keeping my fingers & toes crossed 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

Will be interesting on who the mouthpiece of CM says is the next Charlton manager.
  • PWR

The other forum has posted that Appleton has been sacked. Whether this is true or a case of an “in the know” not actually knowing anything, remains to be seen. 

I will however be keeping my fingers & toes crossed 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼
    Get Phil Parkinson in.
    As a true Addick…….I NEVER want us to lose…..let alone get battered. 🤨🤨🤨
    I would if it meant SE25 and SE16 going down and not affecting us.
  • edited January 21
    Croydon said:
    If we go a goal down on Tuesday that is going to horrible for him. Not that he cares 
    What evidence do you have that he doesn’t care?
    Strange thing to say Croydon.🧐
     I haven't seen a shred of emotion from him since he's been here. I genuinely doubt he gives a shit