Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• DubaiCAFC said:
    Maybe a bit unrealistic, but might be interested in the challenge, and if the board can sell them the dream.. How about Steve Cooper? Worked with Scott a few times, good understanding of working with young players.. Yes, will be expensive.. But what an appointment he would be
    I’d be shocked if we are fishing in that pond. The likes of Cooper and Potter will surely be next up for Palace 
    Potter would be way out of our league, but Cooper maybe not so much.. If he has a relationship with Scott, and understands what the owners are trying to do, and with our academy he might be tempted. 

But personally I can't see it.. Let's see how good Scott is at selling 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I like the Eustace idea , but I also think he's probably someone that holds out for a championship job? Will be someone that gets sacked in the next couple of weeks I'm sure. 
    Yes you are probably right. Certainly deserves another stint in the Championship.
  • pettgra said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I like the Eustace idea , but I also think he's probably someone that holds out for a championship job? Will be someone that gets sacked in the next couple of weeks I'm sure. 
    Yes you are probably right. Certainly deserves another stint in the Championship.

Yeah that's my thinking, although I thought he was nailed on for QPR before Christmas and they went Scandinavian. Definitely deserves a another chance at the Championship. I can't see Nathan Jones being an option either for the same reason. 
  • Question is will Appleton be in the dugout tmrw evening 
  • edited January 22
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Maybe a bit unrealistic, but might be interested in the challenge, and if the board can sell them the dream.. How about Steve Cooper? Worked with Scott a few times, good understanding of working with young players.. Yes, will be expensive.. But what an appointment he would be
    Money aside, I can't see him taking the job for any number of reasons but mainly because if how it would have on his CV if and when he is sacked by us. It's one thing to lose your job as a PL Manager but as someone in charge of a League 1 club there is only one way you can go. The next manager will be number 15 in the last 10 years under all sorts of regimes, including this one, so why would he think this situation is any different?
  • I've  interviewed Appleton (it's in the latest MOD mag) and I didn't get the impression that he was uncaring or arrogant.

He did coming over as very driven and focused, almost obsessively so as shown by how he used his working out and tattoos to cope with losing his playing career at 27.

I was surprised how open he was about that with a stranger and knowing it could go into press.

I asked him to compare himself with Garner and Holden in terms of fan engagement (BG seeing it as a distraction, DH as vital) and he put himself in the middle. He saw the need to engage but also said he was very keen on  having the time to do the other parts of his job. I would have placed him closer to Garner on that scale.

He also didn't seem to sold or not that bothered about the coach/technical director set up.  Almost felt that he was going to do his job regardless of titles.

He became really animated talking about golf which he watches daily but plays not enough.

And he's aware that his physical image (shaved head, tattoos, muscles) might make some people think he's thick and he has played on that in meetings with executives.

I met Holden and liked him a lot more, met Garner and he was a quiet, unassuming guy, quite liked Appleton for his honesty and drive but it's not a popularity competition, it's about winning games and none of them did enough of that. 
    Nice use of the past tense ;-)
  • Question is will Appleton be in the dugout tmrw evening 
    Yes, but a poor performance v Nortyampton then surely his position is untenable
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 22
    If he has gone I think I would rather an old head in until the end of the season. Curbs would be perfect.

Steady the ship and give SMT time to get the right person in place for the long term. They could be in place without it being public so they can watch the games and come straght in at the end of the season ready to go. 
  • Time to bring our SAF home! I wonder where Guy Luzon is these days!
    Managing the Israel U-21s. Managed against England in the last tournament.
  • Redhenry said:
    Where's this rumour started? Baffling, they have let him bring some of his players in and then sack him after one game. It doesn't make sense.
    Its Charlton why are you expecting sense?
  • Any idea what time the press conference is today?
  • What about Ted Lasso or the wonderkid?

Not sure it matters, I’m positive we are cursed…
  • Sponsored links:

• More chance of us appointing Tommy Cooper than Steve
  • edited January 22
    I liked Holden as I like Powell. That is a way, not the only way, but they are the sort of managers I can imagine players running through brick walls for. 

It is my wife's birthday and I bought tickets to the theatre and am taking her for a meal out and drinks in London before. I didn't realise we would be playing. I should have, but I am not too sorry to miss it if Appleton is still there. I think he should be at last chance saloon rather than be sacked this minute, but I don't think there should be any leeway left. However, I can see I am in a minority and it could turn pretty ugly which isn't going to be nice to watch. I hope not.

If I buy the stream, is it possible to watch it back later? You see, always thinking on the off chance we put in a performance even though it so rarely happens!
  • edited January 22
    There are a few posters on here that hear things because of their contacts within the club. @Swisom and @DubaiCAFC being a prime examples. I don’t think we’ve had any hint of confirmation or otherwise from our itk group. They could of course be just as in the dark as the rest of us or being completely diplomatic. I think until either something concrete comes from them, I’ll assume the rumour to be wrong.
  • iaitch said:
    seth plum said:
    The results are appalling and depressing to the point I don’t feel like going tomorrow (and anyway my boiler has broken down and my water turned off!). I never feel this way ahead of a match. 
    If Appleton is sacked I will make the game, but with other stuff to deal with it is easy to give it a miss.
    Seth can I come round and watch your boiler tomorrow, be more entertaining than going to the Valley.
    If you can get water into my gaff be my guest. Apparently my Worcester Bosch manifold needs changing because it was leaking so much I had to turn off the mains. My plumber tried to tell me how to do something to isolate it, the hot water that is, so we could have heating and cold, but I didn’t understand and couldn’t do it. As you can see, my boiler is more interesting than Appletons Charlton at the moment, so come on over, but the lack of water is making Mrs Plum very grumpy indeed!
  • Stewart said:
    Oh please! Not another Nigel. 
    We're only making plans for Nigel we only want another win.
  • I liked Holden as I like Powell. That is a way, not the only way, but they are the sort of managers I can imagine players running through brick walls for. 

It is my wife's birthday and I bought tickets to the theatre and am taking her for a meal out and drinks in London before. I didn't realise we would be playing. I should have, but I am not too sorry to miss it if Appleton is still there. I think he should be at last chance saloon rather than be sacked this minute, but I don't think there should be any leeway left. However, I can see I am in a minority and it could turn pretty ugly which isn't going to be nice to watch. I hope not.

If I buy the stream, is it possible to watch it back later? You see, always thinking on the off chance we put in a performance even though it so rarely happens!
    I don’t remember too many players running through brick walls for Dean Holden!
  • edited January 22
    He'll be doing the press conference soon. If he's been sacked (highly unlikely) expect it announced this morning latest.

Or they might just send Stephen Henderson out. 
  • Charlton’s twitter account have just posted about tomorrow’s game….so I can only assume that anyone saying that Appleton has been sacked is sadly incorrect.