Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Charlton’s twitter account have just posted about tomorrow’s game….so I can only assume that anyone saying that Appleton has been sacked is sadly incorrect. 
    That’s just a standard pre-arranged tweet for every match. Definitely won’t effect if Apples is in a job or not
  • follett said:
    Cooper isn't just unrealistic it's ridiculous. Do people forget we're 16th in League One, I don't even think the likes of Eustace will consider us.
    Never ceases to amaze me how unrealistic some people are with managers.  It's like when people wanted us to go for Howe about a month before he got the Newcastle job paying however much a week, with a ridiculous transfer budget.

Not only are we 16th in League 1, we're a mess!
  • He will be in charge tomorrow
  • JordanJLD said:
    Charlton’s twitter account have just posted about tomorrow’s game….so I can only assume that anyone saying that Appleton has been sacked is sadly incorrect. 
    That’s just a standard pre-arranged tweet for every match. Definitely won’t effect if Apples is in a job or not
    I think if he’d been sacked, we would have heard something officially by now
  • Ignore the straws I’m clutching but could they be using the pre match presser to announce it? 
  • 10:00 AM coming up…
  • I doubt he's gone yet. But the search for his replacement has probably just started in earnest.
    Rodwell didn't give any indication that they were looking to get shot of him a couple of weeks ago and I believe he was telling the truth.
    Blind panic has probably set in now though.

I have absolutely have no faith in this mobs ability to acquire a suitable replacement. Remember they cast Holden upon us. Nice bloke but woefully out of his depth. Then after an exhaustive recruitment process they managed to come up with Appleton!

The term 'you don't know what you're doing' has never been more apt.
  • edited January 22
    He will be in charge tomorrow
  • He will get tomorrows game, anything less than a win and surely he's gone. 

Annoyingly if he sneaks a win somehow, that might buy him another couple of games. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Question for Louis to ask at the presser.
    It was reported that Dean Holden was asked to accept a former manager (Powell) in to his management/coaching structure when he was struggling. Has the same been asked of Appleton?
    Or is that why Curtis was bought in?
  • CAFCTrev said:
    He will get tomorrows game, anything less than a win and surely he's gone. 

Annoyingly if he sneaks a win somehow, that might buy him another couple of games. 
    The thing is a win doesn’t change anything. It would currently be an anomaly when looking at the results. If he has been given tomorrow then they’re already looking for new managers
  • 10:00 and he’s still here, roll on 10:30
  • Redhenry said:
    I know the results have been poor, but surely he should have half a dozen games, now we have better players come in. I wasn't impressed with his appointment in the first place btw.
    His demeanor on Saturday was absolutely atrocious. And it appeared to be filtering it's way down to the pitch.
    This is a deeper problem than a few new signings if you ask me
    I hear you, but I would be surprised if they sack him now
  • I've never seen a manager look like he gives less of a shit. Bloke is an absolute helmet that never should've been appointed in the first place. Scott has a lot to answer for.
    I can imagine that given recruitment in the summer was so last minute and ineffective, convincing impressive managers that there was a coherent plan in place was tough. Hence the few rejections. However, now that they are showing some intent with the signings that they are making, I would hope Scott would have more chance in convincing people we are a viable opportunity for success.

All the stats people have put up in the last 24 hours prove that this man is not capable of leading us to promotion next year (And maybe not even survival in this).
  • RC_CAFC said:
    I've never seen a manager look like he gives less of a shit. Bloke is an absolute helmet that never should've been appointed in the first place. Scott has a lot to answer for.
    I can imagine that given recruitment in the summer was so last minute and ineffective, convincing impressive managers that there was a coherent plan in place was tough. Hence the few rejections. However, now that they are showing some intent with the signings that they are making, I would hope Scott would have more chance in convincing people we are a viable opportunity for success.

All the stats people have put up in the last 24 hours prove that this man is not capable of leading us to promotion next year (And maybe not even survival in this).
    I agree with that but just they could've just stuck with Holden. At least he was a likeable bloke that genuinely seemed to care
  • Question is will Appleton be in the dugout tmrw evening 
    Yes he will be.
  • Sponsored links:

• Foxycafc said:
    10:00 and he’s still here, roll on 10:30
    If he’s doing the press conference, then he’s definitely here for tomorrow.
  • Any white smoke seen over the Valley?
  • RC_CAFC said:
    I've never seen a manager look like he gives less of a shit. Bloke is an absolute helmet that never should've been appointed in the first place. Scott has a lot to answer for.

I agree with that but just they could've just stuck with Holden. At least he was a likeable bloke that genuinely seemed to care
    It sounds like the Holden departure wasn't really results based though. They were concerned about what was happening on the training ground. Either way, 3 managers in a season is never acceptable, but it is far more palatable than keeping Appleton in place any longer.
  • Kap10 said:
    Question is will Appleton be in the dugout tmrw evening 
    Yes, but a poor performance v Nortyampton then surely his position is untenable
    Northampton’s manager was apparently one of those under consideration when Holden got sacked, so will be interesting to see what happens in the match from that point of view

(I’ve no insider knowledge on this, just what was in the press) 
  • if the useless piece of shit remains in charge, hopefully the board are being proactive and drawing up lists of possible replacements, speaking to agents etc
  • I'm not sure the board will pull the trigger yet. 
    His first 10-12 games were very decent, and then we lost chuks and leaburn. They may just give him a couple more games with the new recruits and see if he can get some of that initial form, because we were going well. 
  • Need a new manager in now nothings gonna change with Appleton everyone and their dog can see it,we have some horrendous fixtures next month apart from 1 so give a new guy a go as march is alot easier and we should be picking up points there with fresh ideas and a view to building for the future.
  • edited January 22
    ozaddick said:
    I'm not sure the board will pull the trigger yet. 
    His first 10-12 games were very decent, and then we lost chuks and leaburn. They may just give him a couple more games with the new recruits and see if he can get some of that initial form, because we were going well. 
    Not that well. I think he's only won 5 games. 

We've had injuries but as someone else said, think Bowyer did better with a worse crisis in the Championship, playing Vennings etc. I don't think we've had a single convincing performance under Appleton in his 27 games. 
  • Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    I know the results have been poor, but surely he should have half a dozen games, now we have better players come in. I wasn't impressed with his appointment in the first place btw.
    His demeanor on Saturday was absolutely atrocious. And it appeared to be filtering it's way down to the pitch.
    This is a deeper problem than a few new signings if you ask me
    I hear you, but I would be surprised if they sack him now
    Spot on. He'll be sacked, but not right now.