Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Do we know for sure that Chris Powell turned the role down “because of the plan”. Where’s that bit come from ? I’d have thought it more likely he wasn’t interested because he’s already got the tee shirt and probably after his associations with England and Spurs can have some very attractive coaching options without the hassle of tin pot club management. 
    I'd think there are more than a few Charlton people with a direct line to Powell 
  • Scott Brown next Charlton manger. You heard it here first.

Available and was at the Valley yesterday.

2/5 with some bookies.
    He has been muted for the Hibs job.
  • seth plum said:
    Appleton?
    Come on guys, Appleton? Really?
    Then again Methven, come on guys, Methven? Really?
    Rather Appleton than Powell or Bowyer 
    I appreciate I'm feeding a WUM here, but, why? What has Appleton done to be considered over powell or bowyer?

I would say as a guess (can't be bothered to research) that in two full seasons of managing us in l1, we got promoted twice with those as our manager.

as said above, im not a believer in managerial 2nd attempts but would have either of those in a heartbeat over below average Appleton.

I am always half glass full, last to turn against managers, players and owners, I believe that Kirk will come good!!!!! But Appleton!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Do we know for sure that Chris Powell turned the role down “because of the plan”. Where’s that bit come from ? I’d have thought it more likely he wasn’t interested because he’s already got the tee shirt and probably after his associations with England and Spurs can have some very attractive coaching options without the hassle of tin pot club management. 
    He turned down the opportunity to be interim manager. 

2/5 with some bookies.
    Didn't Curbs try to sign him way back when. Unfinished business 🤔 My guess is that Appleton might end up at Fleetwood now, so they'll steel him out from under our noses 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Appleton is now favourite on BetVictor.
  • Uboat said:
    I ain’t got no friends called punctuation got a cousin called Peter
    Minto and Brown both saying we should bring back Bowyer on Charlton Tv
    You’ve got a cousin called Peter Minto?
    And Peter Brown?
  • Gribbo said:
    Uboat said:
    I ain’t got no friends called punctuation got a cousin called Peter
    Minto and Brown both saying we should bring back Bowyer on Charlton Tv
    You’ve got a cousin called Peter Minto?
    And Peter Brown?
    🎶 Team full of Peters. We’ve got a team full of Peters🎶
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    Lee Bowyer said his next job will be at a club where he can built a team without the hurdles/hassles he had at Cafc and Birmingham. ❌

He'll have a bloody long wait for a job then.

You are probably right but come on the nonsense he had with the con artist Southall and then at Birmingham would take some beating. 
    Lee said that on Radio 5,  he had made up with Lyle Taylor who was also on the show ! 
  • An option would be to
    Advertise the job
    Shortlist the applicants if there are any.
    Conduct interviews which includes a practical of some kind.
    Appoint someone, or re advertise if they’re all poor, asking those previously applying not to re apply.
  • Lee Bowyer said his next job will be at a club where he can built a team without the hurdles/hassles he had at Cafc and Birmingham. ❌

Chris Powell success came when he Chappel/Dyer could use their contacts to bring players in a summer window with the X factor player later (Yann)❌

Lee Johnson: no one wants a small Johnson ❌

Darren Moore: 
    Being released/sacked after a promotion because you are at a massive club appeared strange. Definitely, Maybe 🤔

Michael Appleton: 👀 Too much negativity before he even holds Scarfy and Lincoln was his best season where he over achieved. Struggled everywhere else. ❌

Nathan Jones: Did great work with our under 21's and sublime work at Luton but found out at Stoke and Saints where he sounded as crazy as a box of frogs.
    Nathan would have have great empathy with the Charlton fanbase who was also bonkers. 
    He would talk big and say he has unfinished business at Cafc and it would be fun while it lasted but I think it's another ❌

Cowley's Brother's: I first came across Danny and Nicky about a decade ago at Concord Rangers when they were Still PE teachers and a real plus is Danny would get the players fitter. Stopping injuries would need a miracle.
    Fantastic success at little Lincoln before the great expectations of bigger clubs and then when you finish 10th you have "failed" 
    42 wins and 28 losses doesn't sound too shabby at Pompey.
    For their sake I would say ❌

Dave Challinor: I would advise him not to bring his family south and honour the 3 year contract that he signed just months ago at Stockport. The most promotions down the pyramid for a manager but if he came to Cafc it would be like going into Tutankhamen tomb and the curse would kick in. ❌

And there's more, so many more that have coaching badges and a myriad of formations to try.

The last 2 managers to get Charlton Promoted achieved it with their first taste of Management !

It's not an exact science but the Charlton manager's job looks like a poison chalice to me but there's one born every minute so someone will give it a go. ✔️
    You forgot to mention that Appleton struggled to get Oxford promoted to L1 and resigned as manager of Blackpool first time round following a good, if short spell, to take a better job. So to say he struggled everywhere else is a bit harsh. 

Leam Richardson not on your list, but he might be on ours 
  • swordfish said:
    Scott Brown next Charlton manger. You heard it here first.

2/5 with some bookies.
    Didn't Curbs try to sign him way back when. Unfinished business 🤔 My guess is that Appleton might end up at Fleetwood now, so they'll steel him out from under our noses 😉
    Hopefully.
  • edited September 2023
    seth plum said:
    An option would be to
    Advertise the job
    Shortlist the applicants if there are any.
    Conduct interviews which includes a practical of some kind.
    Appoint someone, or re advertise if they’re all poor, asking those previously applying not to re apply.

And wait until November ?
    As every game is must win Mr Plum I would've thought time is of the essence ⏳
  • swordfish said:
    Lee Bowyer said his next job will be at a club where he can built a team without the hurdles/hassles he had at Cafc and Birmingham. ❌

Chris Powell success came when he Chappel/Dyer could use their contacts to bring players in a summer window with the X factor player later (Yann)❌

Lee Johnson: no one wants a small Johnson ❌

Darren Moore: 
    Being released/sacked after a promotion because you are at a massive club appeared strange. Definitely, Maybe 🤔

Michael Appleton: 👀 Too much negativity before he even holds Scarfy and Lincoln was his best season where he over achieved. Struggled everywhere else. ❌

Nathan Jones: Did great work with our under 21's and sublime work at Luton but found out at Stoke and Saints where he sounded as crazy as a box of frogs.
    Nathan would have have great empathy with the Charlton fanbase who was also bonkers. 
    He would talk big and say he has unfinished business at Cafc and it would be fun while it lasted but I think it's another ❌

Cowley's Brother's: I first came across Danny and Nicky about a decade ago at Concord Rangers when they were Still PE teachers and a real plus is Danny would get the players fitter. Stopping injuries would need a miracle.
    Fantastic success at little Lincoln before the great expectations of bigger clubs and then when you finish 10th you have "failed" 
    42 wins and 28 losses doesn't sound too shabby at Pompey.
    For their sake I would say ❌

Dave Challinor: I would advise him not to bring his family south and honour the 3 year contract that he signed just months ago at Stockport. The most promotions down the pyramid for a manager but if he came to Cafc it would be like going into Tutankhamen tomb and the curse would kick in. ❌

And there's more, so many more that have coaching badges and a myriad of formations to try.

The last 2 managers to get Charlton Promoted achieved it with their first taste of Management !

It's not an exact science but the Charlton manager's job looks like a poison chalice to me but there's one born every minute so someone will give it a go. ✔️
    You forgot to mention that Appleton struggled to get Oxford promoted to L1 and resigned as manager of Blackpool first time round following a good, if short spell, to take a better job. So to say he struggled everywhere else is a bit harsh. 

Leam Richardson not on your list, but he might be on ours 

It would've been longer than a viewfinder post if I had said all candidates or gone into more details on the roller coaster rides of managers. 

2/5 with some bookies.
    He has been muted for the Hibs job.
    Was he too loud for them? : 
    LOL probably
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!