Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Gribbo said:
    Bailey said:
    Gribbo said:
    colthe3rd said:
    People who want Bowyer back have extremely short memories. You forget just how bad things were, lots of talk about how toxic the place was. Just go back and look at some of his post match interviews to remind yourselves.
    What you mean by toxic mate?
    Gribbo, it pains me to say this, but you talk out of your arse ! 
    Why do you think I give a fuck what you think?
    There you are,  you're  at it again 
  • JordanJLD said:
    chev said:
    Assume he spent the night with the players just for some banter then 🤣
    Is it fact that he spent the night with them then?
  • I think it is fair to say that Bowyer was a very divisive figure to fans - hated by some loved by others and there were strong suggestions that he was abusive in language if not action to some of the players in the team and that this led to to divisions in the dressing room.  I wasn't there so I don't know the details other than what I have read on this site and that is largely based on conjecture.  Some may have come from reliable sources, some made up, dunno.  What isn't conjecture is the openly dismissive attitude he demonstrated in public towards his own players when things started to go wrong, and the total unwillingness to accept responsibility.

He also has a history of violent and racist behaviour - again some care less than others, some think let bygones be bygones, he was a kid, some think it was all blown up out of proportion, others take it more seriously as an indicator of the kind of man he is.

What I do remember is the division and antagonism between fans, and it seems to have started up again already.
    That always happens irrespective of Bowyer.
  • edited September 2023
    I think it is fair to say that Bowyer was a very divisive figure to fans - hated by some loved by others and there were strong suggestions that he was abusive in language if not action to some of the players in the team and that this led to to divisions in the dressing room.  I wasn't there so I don't know the details other than what I have read on this site and that is largely based on conjecture.  Some may have come from reliable sources, some made up, dunno.  What isn't conjecture is the openly dismissive attitude he demonstrated in public towards his own players when things started to go wrong, and the total unwillingness to accept responsibility.

He also has a history of violent and racist behaviour - again some care less than others, some think let bygones be bygones, he was a kid, some think it was all blown up out of proportion, others take it more seriously as an indicator of the kind of man he is.

What I do remember is the division and antagonism between fans, and it seems to have started up again already.
    That always happens irrespective of Bowyer.
    Maybe.  Some more than others.

Some people have suggested Karl Robinson would be a good shout and others have taken the piss as a result, but I haven't seen the depth of feeling about that, or the Bewley brothers or whatever they are called.  Appleton seems to have mostly inspired jokes and eyerolling.
  • I think it is fair to say that Bowyer was a very divisive figure to fans - hated by some loved by others and there were strong suggestions that he was abusive in language if not action to some of the players in the team and that this led to to divisions in the dressing room.  I wasn't there so I don't know the details other than what I have read on this site and that is largely based on conjecture.  Some may have come from reliable sources, some made up, dunno.  What isn't conjecture is the openly dismissive attitude he demonstrated in public towards his own players when things started to go wrong, and the total unwillingness to accept responsibility.

All I was doing was asking what the other poster meant by Bowyer being toxic in his last few interviews as I genuinely never noticed it at the time, nor seen anyone discuss it since, until now.

• edited September 2023
    Gribbo said:
    I think it is fair to say that Bowyer was a very divisive figure to fans - hated by some loved by others and there were strong suggestions that he was abusive in language if not action to some of the players in the team and that this led to to divisions in the dressing room.  I wasn't there so I don't know the details other than what I have read on this site and that is largely based on conjecture.  Some may have come from reliable sources, some made up, dunno.  What isn't conjecture is the openly dismissive attitude he demonstrated in public towards his own players when things started to go wrong, and the total unwillingness to accept responsibility.

All I was doing was asking what the other poster meant by Bowyer being toxic in his last few interviews as I genuinely never noticed it at the time, nor seen anyone discuss it since, until now.

Fair enough.  I can't speak for the other guy - but the above is what toxic means to me in relation  to LB.  I get that some of us can seem a bit precious in the eyes of others, but I remember it did feel beyond the usual bickering that happens when a manager goes down the spout.
  • Gribbo said:

You need to go back and read some old threads then.
  • Sponsored links:

Used to annoy me when he would single out certain players but have nothing bad to say about other individuals who had possibly an even worse game than the ones he picked on. Morgan and Williams being two from memory. strange man management. 
  • edited September 2023
    So there's no chance that anyone can just give a quick recap then. I need to go back and find the old threads lol

I'm not disputing whether it happened, just saying I must've missed it
  • edited September 2023
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/90815/has-bowyer-lost-it/p1

That's just one.  It's 158 pages long so happy reading!
  • edited September 2023

Cheers mate.

Just thought that if the interviews were that infamous, someone could've reeled off a few quotes
  • colthe3rd said:
    People who want Bowyer back have extremely short memories. You forget just how bad things were, lots of talk about how toxic the place was. Just go back and look at some of his post match interviews to remind yourselves.
    Bowyer had a fantastic first 6 months with us and did well just getting us into the playoffs. 

He then got us promoted. Almost kept us up with a poor squad and an absolute shambles behind the scenes + working and managing a team through covid. 

Yes his final few months were poor but we need someone to come in and have an impact straight away, something Bowyer has proven he can do. 

All in all it took about 3 years for it to go wrong under Bowyer, most managers don’t last that long anyway. 

We could do far worse. Anyway, according to Cawley no approach has been made.
    Yeah this is the one thing that is slightly making me doubt myself about Bowyer coming back that he did have that immediate impact. However I do think a big part is the personalities in the squad then likes of Taylor, Pearce, Bielik etc seemed to be the types that would respond well to that more direct approach. Hard to know with all the new signings what they'd be like but regardless it would seem more of a short term approach.
  • Gribbo said:

Cheers mate.

Just thought that if the interviews were that infamous, someone could've reeled off a few quotes
    :) I've slept since then.
  • https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/90815/has-bowyer-lost-it/p1

Scanning that thread, it seemed a couple of posters had spoken to some players who said that Bowyer was a bit of a bully. It don't really go into detail (from what I read), but I wonder what it used to be like in the dressing room with the likes of Cloughy etc. Not sure if times have moved on in the football dressing room as it has in other industries, but looking around the managers in the English leagues, I can imagine there's a few who like to throw a few f***s about when things aren’t going right on the pitch.

• Gribbo said:

Scanning that thread, it seemed a couple of posters had spoken to some players who said that Bowyer was a bit of a bully. It don't really go into detail (from what I read), but I wonder what it used to be like in the dressing room with the likes of Cloughy etc. Not sure if times have moved on in the football dressing room as it has in other industries, but looking around the managers in the English leagues, I can imagine there's a few who like to throw a few f***s about when things aren’t going right on the pitch.

It has. you can't even have a light ale and half time cig anymore. 
  • Gribbo said:

I think you are right - and some will think it's ok, and others won't.  So that is one of the issues that created a lot of division and infighting on this forum.  It all got a bit tedious.  I'm going to leave it there as enough was said at the time for me and I am not keen to resurrect the whole thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Surprised Jason Pearce is 33/1

A win today with a decent performance & there's a good chance he gets the job IMO
    I wonder what the reaction to a recent U16 manager from any other club would be if they were linked with the Charlton job. 
  • Well based on today's game I think we can rule Pearce out. Please. PLEASE.
  • I’ve just been told it’s going to be Phil Neville. Take it however you want
    A wild Palace fan appeared 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!