Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• JamesSeed said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Im now hearing Bowyer is done , was with the players tonight I’ve heard 
    Leading to several decent sized bets on Bowyer, his price dropping to 1/2, Cowley’s to drift out to 10/1. 
    @CH4ARLTON then fills his boots at 10s, and Cowley is announced tomorrow. Fair play!
    How very dare you???? 12:/ 1 Appleton actually but yh :)
  • edited September 2023
    Bowyer now 1/2
    does that mean he is even more of a favourite? 
  • Stop this cheap option repetition !

Curbs, Powell and Bowyer were on lower wages at first and none had managed before, other than Curbs was joint manager with Gritt.

I would've thought Nigel Adkins was on a better than average league 1 wage.

I make you right, I heard Holden was on 20k a week.
  • So the owners are happy for Chris powell to come in and mentor a younger manager, happy for him to be interim manager but didn't have him as no 1 target after sacking holden. 

Something with their decision making doesn't add up
    I don’t think that’s necessarily true. It’s just they weren’t going to appoint him last weekend.

My understanding is that he had a good look at the squad, listened to what they were planning to do and decided it was unlikely to work, so he declined.
    Do we know what that is?

Of course not, they don't.
  • I don’t want the Crowleys.
    did not work at Portsmouth and I don’t think they would fit here.

we need a manager who’s demanding and not a soft touch. Manager who has more than plan A and knowledgeable to come up with a system that suits the players we have.

You don’t need the best team on paper to get promoted from league one.

togetherness and consistency is key and good tactical awareness and understanding what limitations we have are extremely important.
    I don’t think Gary will give up his 6pm slot on BBC Radio London to become our manager
  • JamesSeed said:
    Wouldn’t be too unhappy if it was Bowyer. Pearce as his assistant. 
    You can’t force coaches onto managers. 
  • Think it’s going to be Cowley … really impressed the club in his interview and has been shown round the TG and Valley ?? 
    As would have been anyone who has been interviewed, 🤔…don’t want Cowley 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Well it does happen, albeit I agree it shouldn't. But I think James surely has a point here. Pearce was Bow's team captain in our promotion season afterall and not sure who Bow had at Brum with him just before he left and their availability now.

Getting ahead of ourselves here admittedly but I reckon Bow would also try to tempt Lyle back too should he get the job. 

• Think it’s going to be Cowley … really impressed the club in his interview and has been shown round the TG and Valley ?? 
    No need to show Bow round 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought Bowyer would be onto betterer things than come back here.
    I am a big admirer of the Cowleys but I don't want them getting the Charlton job. They failed for the first time as a management team at Pompey. It would seem Charlton Athletic is in a worse state than Portsmouth. If they flop at The Valley their careers will be thoroughly derailed. For their sakes I hope they are appointed at a big and stable League Two or National League club.

Mind if they do appear next week with their 'Addicks scarves above their heads I'll be following Charlton Athletic closely. You never know; Jimmy Seed, Alan Curbishley and Danny Cowley!
  • Bowyer on the drift again and Appleton being supported 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Bowyer on the drift again and Appleton being supported 
    Literally all it takes is one or two bets to make the market move. Drop £20 on Pearce and watch him plummet
  • _MrDick said:
    I don’t want the Crowleys.
    did not work at Portsmouth and I don’t think they would fit here.

we need a manager who’s demanding and not a soft touch. Manager who has more than plan A and knowledgeable to come up with a system that suits the players we have.

You don’t need the best team on paper to get promoted from league one.

togetherness and consistency is key and good tactical awareness and understanding what limitations we have are extremely important.
    I don’t think Gary will give up his 6pm slot on BBC Radio London to become our manager

Gary Crowley was offered the Job but declined after he heard the other DJ had gone to St Johnstone. 
    Proper Londoner though. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    I wasn’t suggesting that. It’d only work if Bowyer wanted him of course. 
  • Most upto date odds I've found is - 

• Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    Where did the Danny cowley failed at Portsmouth line come from? He won over 40 games out of 97 and lost less than 30. Win rate of 43.3%

How does this compare to any of our recent managers? 

Bowyers win rate at Birmingham was 28%. Is that successful?

I honestly wouldn't know where to start when employing a football manager and glad it's not my choice but  owlets win rate is very impressive. Winning is needed to get out of this league
  • ROKERITE said:
    Think it’s going to be Cowley … really impressed the club in his interview and has been shown round the TG and Valley ?? 
    I am a big admirer of the Cowleys but I don't want them getting the Charlton job. They failed for the first time as a management team at Pompey. It would seem Charlton Athletic is in a worse state than Portsmouth. If they flop at The Valley their careers will be thoroughly derailed. For their sakes I hope they are appointed at a big and stable League Two or National League club.

Mind if they do appear next week with their 'Addicks scarves above their heads I'll be following Charlton Athletic closely. You never know; Jimmy Seed, Alan Curbishley and Danny Cowley!
    That Wembley defeat still hurts?
  • Egg and (14) chips with Nobby Vinegar.
  • I heard Karel Fraeye is having breakfast with the team this morning. 

One poster said Bowyer was having a night out with the lads on a Friday night to relax them despite most of the lads being hung over this morning and now Karel Fraeye is having a big breakfast with the lads with the message of run around a lot and play with a smile on your face.
    Nigel Adkins will take the boys on a walk in Charlton park after breakfast.

It's lovely when the Ex's come back and it's all amicable 😀
  • PWADDICK said:
    ROKERITE said:
    Think it’s going to be Cowley … really impressed the club in his interview and has been shown round the TG and Valley ?? 

That Wembley defeat still hurts?
    Which one?
  • JamesSeed said:
    Or drive them over them, sadly.
  • Somebody better tell this fella, he’s been posing down at The Valley thinking he has the job.

Dowie really impressed during his Charlton interview too!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!