Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• I want to see what their ambitions really are and who they can convince to come in. I wouldn’t go for Pearce yet and he gets a couple of wins and they go with him that’s an easy out for them. 
  • Scott Parker anyone ? 
    On our wages, he would not be able to maintain his wardrobe 
  • TeeC said:
    I want to see what their ambitions really are and who they can convince to come in. I wouldn’t go for Pearce yet and he gets a couple of wins and they go with him that’s an easy out for them. 
    It is notable that the sacking has come before possibly the most winnable fixture in League One history
  • Steve Cotterill would be my choice from that list . 
    Organisational skills are great and he’d take no shit players who aren’t up for it . 
  • I suppose it all depends what the SMT are looking for 
    out of all the top picks for me if its experience they want then

Wilder
    or 
    Warburton

If they want young fresh and hungry

Darren Moore
    Nathan Jones
    Mark Bonner
    SMT will not be paying top dollar for a top manager, assuming we could find any top managers mad enough to come here.

Think Iceland, not Waitrose…..
  • We need someone with dignity, someone sensible and level headed. A manager who will stop the descent into a banterous, ridiculous circus. Fortunately I have just the man in mind:

• ValleyBen said:
    As I posted in the Holden Sacked thread, I am not willing to write this season off yet so whoever the new manager is, they need to be someone willing to use our current squad, as we cannot afford our stronger players to not fit the new managers system. 
    DM hasn’t only been manager for one season at Sheffield Wednesday though. 

Wiki

‘West Bromwich Albion

On 2 April 2018, West Bromwich Albion manager Alan Pardew, was dismissed from his post after a run of poor results, leaving them bottom of the Premier League and ten points from safety. Moore was then appointed as caretaker manager, taking charge of all current first team affairs until the end of the season. Under his leadership, West Brom went undefeated in April, a run that included a 1–0 away win against Man Utd – handing the league title to United's arch-rivals Man City, in part earning Moore the Premier League Manager of the Month award. Following the award for this achievement Moore gathered his entire staff to join in with the photograph, he believed that this was a fitting illustration to show the importance of each individual working together to succeed. However, West Brom were relegated from the Premier League later that day following Southampton’s win against Swansea City, ending the club's eight-year tenure in the top-flight.

On 18 May 2018, Moore was appointed as the permanent head coach of West Brom, after impressing during his caretaker spell with the Baggies. Moore then led the team to fourth in the Championship with the club still in with a chance of automatic promotion to the Premier League, but this was cut short with his surprise sacking with only ten games remaining of the regular season. The Club appointed James Shan to temporarily replace Moore in caretaker charge, leading them to defeat in the play-off semi-finals against eventual winners Aston Villa.

Doncaster Rovers

Moore returned to management during the summer, after agreeing to replace Grant McCann as the manager of League One side Doncaster Rovers. Moore's reign in charge began well, as they maintained a six-game undefeated streak.

As a result of the Covid pandemic, all football and other sporting competitions were halted from March 2020 onwards. On 9 June, all clubs voted to curtail the season, meaning the final league table would be calculated by a points-per-game method; Doncaster narrowly missed out on play-off qualification, finishing the season in ninth position.

The 20/21 season saw Moore's side regain significant form, which saw the manager nominated for the division's Manager of the Month accolade for both September 2020 and January 2021.

After going through the entirety of January 2021 winning every league match, reports emerged linking Moore with Sheffield Wednesday and was headhunted for the managers position. 

Sheffield Wednesday

On 1 March 2021, Moore left Doncaster with the club in the League One play-off positions to join Sheffield Wednesday, sitting inside the Championship relegation zone. His first game in charge was at home to Rotherham, where they eventually lost to 10-men, thanks to a 90+7 minute stoppage time winner. The following two games resulted in defeat against Reading and Norwich, but he picked up the first point of his reign in a 1-1 draw with Huddersfield. On 20 March, he got his first win in the local derby against Barnsley. Prior to the game against Watford on 2 April 2021, it was announced that he wouldn't be in the dugout due to a positive Covid-19 test and would subsequently miss the games against Cardiff and QPR. He returned to the dugout for the defeat against Swansea, but he suffered a setback a few days later in his recovery, developing pneumonia as a result of Covid-19. He returned to the dugout again for the final game of the season, and must-win tie, against Derby on 8 May 2021. The game finished 3-3, seeing Sheffield Wednesday finish in last place and relegated back to League One.

The following season saw Moore nominated for November Manager of the Month following 11 points and 11 goals in five unbeaten games. He received another nomination for the month of February too, with Sheffield Wednesday winning five of their six games - four of them by a two-goal margin - to move into the play-off picture. Moore led his side to the play-offs by earning 16 points from the final 21 available, getting himself his third and final nomination for EFL Manager of the Month for the 2021-22 season. In the play-offs though, they fell short, losing 2-1 to Sunderland over two legs, finishing his first full season at the club with 85 points.

After failing in the play-offs the previous season, he kicked off the following season in great form; four wins from five games, with a clean sheet in each, gave him a manager of the month nomination for August. Getting 14 points from 7 games in October and 6 points from 2 in November would see him get back-to-back EFL Manager of the Month nominations for October and November. Another 9 points in January from 3 games with a combined score of 7-0, gave him another nomination for January. The club went 20 league games without defeat and managed to go top of the league, resulting in another nomination for manager of the month. On 11 April, he was nominated for EFL League One Manager of the Season. A dip in form saw his team finish the league season in third spot, earning a play-off tie against Peterborough.  Wednesday lost the first leg by a convincing 4–0 scoreline and were booed off the pitch by their own fans. In the aftermath of the defeat, Moore received racist abuse. Moore worked hard to change the mindset and mentality of his staff during the run-up to the 2nd leg. He forged a togetherness and belief that anything was possible during training and tactical sessions. He even prepared his team with 'real time' penalty shoot outs where he re-enacted crowd noise, embellished by academy players and staff behind the goal to create a hostile atmosphere. He also analysed and shared numerous football come backs to build confidence and a will to win. Furthermore he reached out to the fans, producing a personal video message played before kick off to galvanise and ignite S6 on the night of the return fixture. The second leg was played at a full Hillsboroughl where the Owls won on penalties (scoring all 5 spot kicks), after the tie was locked at 5–5, following an amazing 5-1 Wednesday comeback. Moore had such a positive impact on the squad that long standing captain Barry Bannan personally thanked him in front of the whole squad following the game saying, "What he has done is unbelievable, to turn around the mindset of the players. I'm so proud of him how he's handled this week after the racism he's experienced. This one's for him."

Moore would then go and lead Sheffield Wednesday to promotion back to the Championship with a 1-0 win against Barnsley at Wembley on the 29th May 2023, capping a season in which he presided over three club records (number of points, longest unbeaten run, and highest number of clean sheets) as well as the biggest comeback in EFL play-off history.

On 19 June 2023, Moore left the club by mutual consent, after he and Sheffield Wednesday's chairman failed to agree on the terms of a potential contract renewal.’

-Wiki

• You don’t want anyone who worked with Methven. Total scumbag. Can’t mention his name in Sunderland.

Message sent to me by someone who lives up there this morning.
    Thats encouraging seeing as he is our Chairman !
  • Sponsored links:

• TeeC said:
    I want to see what their ambitions really are and who they can convince to come in. I wouldn’t go for Pearce yet and he gets a couple of wins and they go with him that’s an easy out for them. 
    Will be very telling who they appoint. We still don’t really know anything about these owners but the next month will tell us everything we need to know. 
  • BigDiddy said:
    You don’t want anyone who worked with Methven. Total scumbag. Can’t mention his name in Sunderland.

Message sent to me by someone who lives up there this morning.
    Thats encouraging seeing as he is our Chairman !
    No he’s not 
  • If we are having to play with an under 21 squad them Rooney did a good job for Derby  with the youngsters.
  • edited August 2023
    BigDiddy said:
    I suppose it all depends what the SMT are looking for 

Wilder
    or 
    Warburton

Darren Moore
    Nathan Jones
    Mark Bonner
    SMT will not be paying top dollar for a top manager, assuming we could find any top managers mad enough to come here.

I get the negative way of thinking after recent events but we still have no proof yet they will go down the RD and TS way of cheap/unproven managers
    The appointment will tell us all ALOT !

Im just trying to stay positive for now that they show some ambition as money talks for not just players but managers aswell maybe unsure of dropping down to this league 🤞🏻🤞🏻
  • Just find most of the options uninspiring. Can't see Darren Moore or NJ being interested, they'd probably back themselves to get championship clubs soon ish , Wilder feels like he's on a downswing and I'm not sure if we're attractive enough to get someone that's currently at a club. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Sorry only just seen this thread.. 

I wouldn't mind Nathan Jones, and is available.
    That’s who I would like also. 
  • iaitch said:
    thenewbie said:
    We need someone with dignity, someone sensible and level headed. A manager who will stop the descent into a banterous, ridiculous circus. Fortunately I have just the man in mind:

We can't have three Campbells at the club surely?
    Well we ran out of Matt Smiths, so...
  • Leuth said:
    TeeC said:
    It is notable that the sacking has come before possibly the most winnable fixture in League One history
    Can guarantee you with this squad it isn't. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
    Steve Cotterill would be my choice from that list . 
    Organisational skills are great and he’d take no shit players who aren’t up for it . 
    I'm sure his name has been coming up on the bookies shortlist ever since Iain Dowie. The managerial equivalent of Darren Purse or Hayden Mullins.

It feels like the club is only successful when people with strong Charlton connections are in charge. I'd have Lee Bowyer or Chris Powell back especially if either of them can potentially be backed.
  • Steve Cotterill would be my choice from that list . 
    Would be more than happy with that, what a career he has had so far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Cotterill
  • BigDiddy said:
    I suppose it all depends what the SMT are looking for 

Wilder
    or 
    Warburton

Darren Moore
    Nathan Jones
    Mark Bonner

I get the negative way of thinking after recent events but we still have no proof yet they will go down the RD and TS way of cheap/unproven managers
    The appointment will tell us all ALOT !

Im just trying to stay positive for now that they show some ambition as money talks for not just players but managers aswell maybe unsure of dropping down to this league 🤞🏻🤞🏻
    Agreed. Strikes me that sacking Holden after just 5 games suggests they have only one objective this season and he wasn't achieving it. Otherwise no reason not to stick with him. So you'd hope they'd be going for someone like Moore who could really make a difference to our club, and we'd be striking whilst his iron is very hot indeed.

If they don't show ambition in the next appointment, it will speak volumes - and they'll be asking for an empty Valley for the rest of the season. 

Not that I think they should have got rid of Holden at all. He was individual errors and a lack of finishing away from wildly different outcomes. He needed another mid 20s centre half and a decent striker - maybe Campbell was that player. 
  • I've got a feeling they know who they want & it wont be anyone on any bookies list. 

Its a stich up. 
  • edited August 2023
    I don’t mind Pearcy getting the temporary job as he will be defence minded as that’s where our main problem lies. As Curbs says (or Sir Bobby Robson), stick 11 behind the ball for a 0-0 result and build from there. I hope Pearcy gives his ear to Curbs and Browny.
  • I've got a feeling they know who they want & it wont be anyone on any bookies list. 

Its a stich up. 
    Thought Holden was their man initially? Him being one of "the four" alongside Scott, Rodwell and the finance bloke
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!