Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Back to The Valley mural project

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Typical Charlton.

Always "official" factions arguing against one another.
    Always the same
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Off_it said:
    Who's the big bloke to the right of Alwen, with his kid. 

Anyone known on here?
    He still goes, he's always in the Oak, every time I've been in there.
    The bloke next to him is/was his brother I think.
    Not sure if he is still around/with us, so wouldn't like to speculate.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Steve Sutherland's tweet is very clear that it was CAST who came up with the proposed design. Really poor decision 
    That’ll be Steve then.
  • Options
    Would the gates not be a similar sum of money?
  • Options
    Where is the mural supposed to be going?
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Steve Sutherland's tweet is very clear that it was CAST who came up with the proposed design. Really poor decision 
    It's not "clear". It's a slimy insinuation. He's the chair of the committee that has been overseeing the development. In my world at least "chair" is a leadership position. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Now the trust page has been pulled what about the people that have put their hard earned money in? 

Where do they stand? 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Stig said:
    Now the trust page has been pulled what about the people that have put their hard earned money in? 

Where do they stand? 
    Spent on consultant fees.

Joking.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    It's not "clear". It's a slimy insinuation. He's the chair of the committee that has been overseeing the development. In my world at least "chair" is a leadership position. 

The proposed design put forward by the Trust

Seemed clear to me what was said, apologies if I misread it 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    To be fair you did ask him to delete his tweet earlier today. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    https://x.com/hunterprague/status/1692866876500480294?s=46&t=86XRpoKnrkKw_InpJkb-Yg
  • Options
    shirty5 said:e
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Yes I did. And he hasn’t. And we know each other from back then. So he knows where to find me if he thinks my tweet was unfair.

I don’t think he’s a bad guy, but that wasn’t worthy of a chairman of anything. If he really thinks something was presented prematurely, that’s item no.1 on the agenda for their next meet. Not for Twitter. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    I was born in 1994, but BTTV means an incredible amount to me. Given the people who make up my own personal footballing tapestry were so heavily involved, it was always going to. And there are a few themes, I guess, that always come up in the Back To The Valley story whenever chatting about it:

- The goal (obviously)
    - The cheer that went up in the town hall and all the celebrations that evening
    - The campaign posters
    - The balloons
    - Roger Alwen opening the gates

That's five things that tend to come up time and time again. It would be VERY difficult for a mural to capture all of these things at once, though. I wonder if a mural itself even is the best option? Or if several panels would be better?
    Several panels in the Museum might be a good idea, covering all of Paddy’s ideas above (and would not be subject to the weather and even defacing)
  • Options
    Still like the gates better though
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Stig said:

Where do they stand? 
    If a Crowdfunder project doesn't reach its target and doesn't go ahead donations are refunded
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I just remember Colin Walsh's sweet left foot shot hitting the winner, and running to The Covered End, something involving that would be good...
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    @PragueAddick Before we can answer about a re-brief, can we know what was the initial brief

Looking at this, I get the feeling the artist has been overwhelmed by the amount of things they've been asked to fit in, and the result is a bit of a mess with no real focal point.
    Absolutely, you make two very good points. I forgot you are also in the biz ;) Well, as I've said, I'm just a punter on this one like everyone else, so it would be up to someone directly involved if they'd feel able to share it on here.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shine166 said:
    Boom said:
    shine166 said:
    I can understand why they wouldn't want to show Walsh and the players though, if the mural is more about the spectators and those who helped get us back. 

If it's failed, it's because it hasn't captured that feeling of euphoria at being back.
    That's fair enough, tricky thing is though, only a handful of people would have any clue who any of the people are now days from umages, let alone 20 years time from now

Be great if the names were Included some how, but where do you drawn the line of the BTTV role call. 

It's tricky to please all, glad I'm not the one having to do so ! 
    Couldn’t you knock something up as the resident artist?
    You pick 1 of 3 images that people recognise : Walshes goal, gates opening or the balloons being released. When you already have a visual that evokes emotion/memory, it's next to impossible to improve on that.
    Sure, but that does depend on what the main communication goal is, and to whom it's directed. Most people on this thread, shown a still of Walshie's goal, will recognise it instantly, and it will trigger all those memories. Imagine an under-35 year old walking past and glancing at a mural  featuring it. What does he/she see? Just another goal at the Valley from the distant past, surely?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    @PragueAddick Before we can answer about a re-brief, can we know what was the initial brief

Looking at this, I get the feeling the artist has been overwhelmed by the amount of things they've been asked to fit in, and the result is a bit of a mess with no real focal point.
    Absolutely, you make two very good points. I forgot you are also in the biz ;) Well, as I've said, I'm just a punter on this one like everyone else, so it would be up to someone directly involved if they'd feel able to share it on here.  
    Ah, fair enough. I doubt we'll get the brief but if anyone from CAST is reading, I'd be happy to help.

Purely from the outside, I'd say the best way forward is either to decide on a single part of the BTTV story to focus on, and make that the focal point... (As with the Seb mural, which I'm sure we all love.)

Or, it's to challenge the artist to come up with a coherent and meaningful structure that can fit in multiple parts of the BTTV story. 

If CAST do decide to follow the second approach, I'd still suggest drastically reducing the amount of elements we are trying to fit in. Briefs with lots of boxes to tick always leads to bad creative. 
    120% agree...😉
  • Options
    What ever happened to the gates Tony Keohane was put in charge of?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    The reason I asked where the mural was planned for was because it seems to be a bit cart before horse to commission a large piece of work like a mural before understanding the shape, scale and and positioning it will take. Of course, it may well be that this is well known already, but it would be useful to know if there's a particular place for it.

In answer to Prague's questions I'd say that I like the suggestions that others have made, I'd add as the purpose that for me it is: to convey a sense of the importance of place and community to a football club (our football club). As for the target audiences I'd say it is twofold. For fans who were around at the time it is about reinforcing the positive memories that they have of the day and a reminder that this club exists because of that generation's preparedness to fight for it. For anyone else who visits The Valley, it should be a sign that we are proud of our club and its history. That we recognise the tremendous importance that the club has in people's lives, but for the club to be successful we need everyone (owners, managers, players, supporters and the wider community) to work together to support it; together we can do great things. This, of course, assumes that everyone has the club's interest's at heart, sadly that is not an assumption that has held much water in recent years.

As for specific design, I think it should focus very much on the momentous day. The whole story of the exile and the battle to return is too broad for a single mural. For readers, it is covered excellently by Rick's excellent book. For a more general audience, I'm sure that the Museum has it covered. Personally I'd go of a simple triptych based on the three most iconic images of the day: Alwyn unlocking the gates; The balloon release (more of a close up with more emphasis on the fans than the image I found); Colin Walsh's goal (without the annoying overlay of a young fan that I have here).

The museum is in the process of preparing a new display room dedicated to the Valley and we also have a display already about Selhurst and the return, including Walshie's left boot @Stig

It's also covered on the excellent but increasingly out of date timeline : -)

But the museum display isn't the same as a mural which is planned for the external wall of the club shop opposite the CACT space ie where the cash machine is.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    cafc999 said:
    What ever happened to the gates Tony Keohane was put in charge of?
    It’s filed under G for Gates, following the file marked D for Ditch. 
    B ……. Being the thickest file which appears to have been misplaced 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    What about a double life size representation of Chris Tugwell?
    There's not a big enough wall.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!