Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Back to The Valley mural project

Comments

• Options
    Will look much better when finished, most of these types of things usually do! 
  • Options
    Will look much better when finished, most of these types of things usually do! 
    Only it will be too late to change it when its finished!
  • Options
    edited August 2023
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    sam3110 said:
    sammy391 said:
    PopIcon said:
    I'll say what everyone else is thinking. It's fucking shit and needs a rethink and possibly new artist.
    A piss artist would have made a better attempt  at it 
    It’s like some 15 year old for their GCSE’s has been tasked with this as part of their course work. I’m gonna give the trust the benefit of the doubt and say this has just been mocked up as an initial announcement. 

This IS a mock up, created by the mural artists to give an idea of what the final mural will look like.

Obviously the nature of it being a somewhat collage of pictures (at the moment, in the mock-up) is based on the feed back/necessities given to the artists who has created a picture to show the different things that will be in the final thing.
    newspapers ‘not being held’, and sausage looking gates will clearly be something that is refined and perfected- this is to be done by hand (spray paint, and other materials) rather than a huge sticker as some would gather by responses on here! 

Hope that helps? 
    I think the actual content of the mural ie some flags and the gates with the back of people's heads going into a stadium that's already full, will look shite, however way it is painted. For me a mural should pick a defining moment of the day, either the opening of the gates, the first goal scored, the plenty of shots pre match talk to the players, something like that. I feel like this is trying to pander to too many things at once, and the depicted "fans" are a far cry from who was actually there on the day
    Whilst the picture is, as you say, somewhat ‘busy’ - the wall is reasonably large/long so will be less cramped in actuality! 

I’m a little bemused as to what you mean by ‘fans being a far cry from who was actually there’…
    The mural shows/depicts Alwen who of course opened the gates. The straw hat lady (edit: Gwen King, Valley Party candidate) who was interviewed for several news pieces, as was the trombone/band player shown too (from 20:35, https://youtu.be/D4bKlYZWy1Y ) 
    The rest ,show family’s and other demographics (rather than the stereotypical football fan) who were at The Valley that day- women, children and people of colour…
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
    sam3110 said:
    sammy391 said:
    PopIcon said:
    I'll say what everyone else is thinking. It's fucking shit and needs a rethink and possibly new artist.
    It’s like some 15 year old for their GCSE’s has been tasked with this as part of their course work. I’m gonna give the trust the benefit of the doubt and say this has just been mocked up as an initial announcement. 

This IS a mock up, created by the mural artists to give an idea of what the final mural will look like.

Obviously the nature of it being a somewhat collage of pictures (at the moment, in the mock-up) is based on the feed back/necessities given to the artists who has created a picture to show the different things that will be in the final thing.
    newspapers ‘not being held’, and sausage looking gates will clearly be something that is refined and perfected- this is to be done by hand (spray paint, and other materials) rather than a huge sticker as some would gather by responses on here! 

Hope that helps? 
    I think the actual content of the mural ie some flags and the gates with the back of people's heads going into a stadium that's already full, will look shite, however way it is painted. For me a mural should pick a defining moment of the day, either the opening of the gates, the first goal scored, the plenty of shots pre match talk to the players, something like that. I feel like this is trying to pander to too many things at once, and the depicted "fans" are a far cry from who was actually there on the day
    Whilst the picture is, as you say, somewhat ‘busy’ - the wall is reasonably large/long so will be less cramped in actuality! 

I’m a little bemused as to what you mean by ‘fans being a far cry from who was actually there’…
    The mural shows/depicts Alwen who of course opened the gates. The straw hat lady, who was interviewed for several news pieces, as was the trombone/band player shown too (from 20:35, https://youtu.be/D4bKlYZWy1Y ) 
    The rest ,show family’s and other demographics (rather than the stereotypical football fan) who were at The Valley that day- women, children and people of colour…
    The straw hat lady as you describe her was Gwen King, Valley Party Candidate 
  • Options
    I don't like to be negative, but I'm not impressed by the mural either. 

Yes it's a mockup, but it lacks a bit of soul. It looks more like a poster Greenwich Council and the Community Trust would use to promote a family day at The Valley.

I wonder if it might have been better if the mural had just been based on an actual shot of Roger unlocking The Valley (from the ITV footage), with a banner around the outside highlighting those bodies involved in the return (VIP, VOTV, Valley Gold etc) rather than having them as artificial looking flags?
    Various commissions were sought, all very lifeless and ‘off the shelf’ when compared to other clubs and their murals/wall art.

this mural of course is to celebrate BTTV, but as a on going reminder that The Valley is our home and that people of all backgrounds walk through those gates every Saturday/Tuesday! 

Ideally it was designed to be timeless, and not limited to a specific date/season - specially considering BTTV celebrations were held in 2023 despite 30 years being in 2022!! 

• Options
    Well I think this has gone very well. Very well indeed. 
  • Options
    Can’t they shoehorn Karl Howman, Jim Davidson and Sandgaard holding his guitar into this?
    It’s what the supporters would’ve wanted….
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sammy391 said:

Yes it's a mockup, but it lacks a bit of soul. It looks more like a poster Greenwich Council and the Community Trust would use to promote a family day at The Valley.

I wonder if it might have been better if the mural had just been based on an actual shot of Roger unlocking The Valley (from the ITV footage), with a banner around the outside highlighting those bodies involved in the return (VIP, VOTV, Valley Gold etc) rather than having them as artificial looking flags?
    Various commissions were sought, all very lifeless and ‘off the shelf’ when compared to other clubs and their murals/wall art.

this mural of course is to celebrate BTTV, but as a on going reminder that The Valley is our home and that people of all backgrounds walk through those gates every Saturday/Tuesday! 

Ideally it was designed to be timeless, and not limited to a specific date/season - specially considering BTTV celebrations were held in 2023 despite 30 years being in 2022!! 

Maybe that is why the attendance at the last event was so poor in comparison to the veterans games we held back in the 90s. 
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

The timeless thing makes more sense, the people currently depicted, whilst I appreciate what you're saying about the diversity of the crowd, is far too modern looking to be the early nineties 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    sammy391 said:
    sam3110 said:
    sammy391 said:
    PopIcon said:

Hope that helps? 

The mural shows/depicts Alwen who of course opened the gates. The straw hat lady (edit: Gwen King, Valley Party candidate) who was interviewed for several news pieces, as was the trombone/band player shown too (from 20:35, https://youtu.be/D4bKlYZWy1Y ) 
    Why not show at least one "stereotypical football fan"? 

It's great to show people representing different demographics, but why ignore the single biggest group of fans, without whom the club would probably have died in the wilderness years?
    They do, BADLY,  with the bloke with the Burberry hood 🙈
    there were plenty of “people of colour” (his words not mine” that could be celebrated - Leaburn, Grant, Norman etc without reducing it to this virtue signalling shambles.
  • Options
    Iv got him…. Row v seat 28 East Stand…. I claim my prize.    This is the “Where’s Wally” competition thread isn’t it…….. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Off_it said:
    sammy391 said:
    sam3110 said:
    sammy391 said:
    PopIcon said:

Hope that helps? 

It's great to show people representing different demographics, but why ignore the single biggest group of fans, without whom the club would probably have died in the wilderness years?
    there were plenty of “people of colour” (his words not mine” that could be celebrated - Leaburn, Grant, Norman etc without reducing it to this virtue signalling shambles.
    How do you know what he looks like? How do you know it's a bloke? All I can see is a coat. 

Maybe they are a one-armed transgender individual?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    sammy391 said:
    sam3110 said:
    sammy391 said:
    PopIcon said:

Hope that helps? 

How do you know what he looks like? How do you know it's a bloke? All I can see is a coat. 

Maybe they are a one-armed transgender individual?
    I identify the person in the Burberry hood as a man but yes they could be transgender. 
  • Options
     I'm Sure none of us want to knock the trust and the work they do, but on this, they really have hit the post and gone out for a corner . 
  • Options
    Very much missed the mark with this one. What is the point of honouring an event if you ignore a lot of the people involved in said event?
  • Options
     I'm Sure none of us want to knock the trust and the work they do, but on this, they really have hit the post and gone out for a corner . 
    No, they've just hit the corner flag.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!