Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Peterborough United Vs Charlton Athletic : Saturday 12th August 2023

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Bailey said:
    BigDiddy said:
    shine166 said:
    Considering the lack of depth and still needing to add a few players to the squad, which we are all aware of, I thought we played well and deserved a point. Really don't understand the moaning today as if we got battered. 
    You miss the point. It's the nature of our defeats and the way the club is run.

Owners need to back the manager and give the club half a chance.

We should not be losing to Newport and losing 8 players to injury, only 3 games in.

The squad looks threadbare already.
    Big Diddy, your collective posts are being put forward for 'Rant of the Week' but the above is open to challenge.
                      How do you know how the club is run ? 
                     Two league games, one defeat, 10 changes for Newport, so what is 'nature of defeats' ? 
                     Wfhy shouldn't we be losing eight players to injury ? 
    Seriously? You think that’s like, Ok? On August 12th? . It’s ten by the way. Maybe down to nine by Tuesday.
    That’s not the point he was making I think. 
    It was being used as a criticism of the club or management, but if you speak to the players they’ll say it’s sod's law. 
    So far we haven’t played brilliantly, nor terribly, but I had a funny feeling we might get spanked at Peterborough. So in the end I was fairly happy with the performance, if not the result. 
    A couple of home wins, and a couple of good signings and we’ll be buzzing. 
    I’m not holding my breath about the signings though. 
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/w12EPmWrGRw

Highlights from yesterday 5min 40 onwards 
    mate, that is fantastic stuff.  :D nice find

That is blockbuster fan cam reactions

• Options
    https://youtu.be/w12EPmWrGRw

Highlights from yesterday 5min 40 onwards 
    mate, that is fantastic stuff.  :D nice find

That is blockbuster fan cam reactions

Some vintage let me at em , oh I can’t get over this 15 inch gate or past these 3 fat stewards , reminded me of the outrage some of our fans had at Shrewsbury away in the play off . 
  • Options
    I would like to apologize to everyone @CAFCofficial today for my mistake that spoiled the boys' performance 🙌🏿🤲🏿

Camara after yesterday game  
    Watching the highlights I wouldn't blame Camara for our goal. He didn't "give the ball away" he mainly mis-controlled a bouncing ball. It happens 10/20/30 times a game. Its not as if he did a Stevie Gerrard. 
    Yes, I think looking at it again, you could blame him to an extent for not controlling it or given the time in the game just put his foot through it but it could happen to a lot of players and indeed is not uncommon and part of the problem is what the Posh player did when he got it, making a great pass.
    There's always more risk in trying to "play football" than just hack it away. Players make thousands of decisions on the pitch in one game, not surprising some are wrong.
  • Options
    I would like to apologize to everyone @CAFCofficial today for my mistake that spoiled the boys' performance 🙌🏿🤲🏿

Watching the highlights I wouldn't blame Camara for our goal. He didn't "give the ball away" he mainly mis-controlled a bouncing ball. It happens 10/20/30 times a game. Its not as if he did a Stevie Gerrard. 
    Yes, I think looking at it again, you could blame him to an extent for not controlling it or given the time in the game just put his foot through it but it could happen to a lot of players and indeed is not uncommon and part of the problem is what the Posh player did when he got it, making a great pass.
    There's always more risk in trying to "play football" than just hack it away. Players make thousands of decisions on the pitch in one game, not surprising some are wrong.
    I agree but there are also factors regarding the situation in the game, including the game time. But there is also bad luck in football, the ball hit Camara's shin and you can't control it with your shin. That happens to the best players.
  • Options

I agree but there are also factors regarding the situation in the game, including the game time. But there is also bad luck in football, the ball hit Camara's shin and you can't control it with your shin. That happens to the best players.
    I think Camara tried to do the right thing, but unfortunately first touch let him down..
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    The bigger problem is all teams concede goals. You counter that by scoring. As an away side we did enough to draw that game, even possibly win it but we lack the cutting edge. I think we need 3 or 4 players for the season, but we need that player to play with and compliment May now and I am hoping the delay in getting him is because we know we need a good player there not just any player. Time always tells and we have until the end of the month. I accept radio silence is probably the best thing in these circumstances but failure to get that player would not be a great look for the ownership given their previous communications with fans. We do have to wait and see though and if it costs us a few more points so be it.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I have watched back the goal a number of times now, I am surprised unless I have missed it, that no one has questioned Thomas for the goal, yes Camara shouldn't have lost the ball then, it was a shocker of a first touch. But Thomas just goes walkies and ball watching, total rookie defending.. If he holds his position they don't score!
    It's a bit of both, as Thomas wouldn't have needed to do anything if the ball had been controlled but conversely if Thomas had been sharper/held position the miscontrol (probably) wouldn't have lead to a goal.

It's unfortunate that both happened and maybe its due to a little bit of rustiness on both parts but surely knocking that rust off is what preseason is for...
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I have watched back the goal a number of times now, I am surprised unless I have missed it, that no one has questioned Thomas for the goal, yes Camara shouldn't have lost the ball then, it was a shocker of a first touch. But Thomas just goes walkies and ball watching, total rookie defending.. If he holds his position they don't score!
    I mentioned it further up the thread, and also AMB. His positioning wasn’t great, I know we had just lost the ball but he really should have still had time to get back to the middle of his goal. I was right behind it and he made it a very easy finish 

Still think Thomas has done very well this season so far, Poku will get a lot more joy against better defenders than him this season 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Bailey said:
    BigDiddy said:
    shine166 said:
    Considering the lack of depth and still needing to add a few players to the squad, which we are all aware of, I thought we played well and deserved a point. Really don't understand the moaning today as if we got battered. 

We should not be losing to Newport and losing 8 players to injury, only 3 games in.

Big Diddy, your collective posts are being put forward for 'Rant of the Week' but the above is open to challenge.
                     Two league games, one defeat, 10 changes for Newport, so what is 'nature of defeats' ? 
    Seriously? You think that’s like, Ok? On August 12th? . It’s ten by the way. Maybe down to nine by Tuesday.
    It was being used as a criticism of the club or management, but if you speak to the players they’ll say it’s sod's law. 
    So far we haven’t played brilliantly, nor terribly, but I had a funny feeling we might get spanked at Peterborough. So in the end I was fairly happy with the performance, if not the result. 
    That kind of sums up why we are where we are.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Bailey said:
    BigDiddy said:
    shine166 said:

That was the point I was making James, thanks.Two games in and twenty days left of the summer transfer window, I will join the critism if the squad doesn't get the reinforcements it needs by the end of the window. As for the injury list, people here are blaming the current management for their handling of the levels of fitness in the squad then cite Chuks Aneke as part of that alleged mishandling as he is in the nine unfit, I'm fitter than Chuks and I haven't kicked a ball for 25 years. As for a few of the others mentioned, you really don't want to kop an injury between now and August's end if you've got your eyes on a move now do you. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Why criticise the obvious problem (lack of forwards) when you can pile into a defender for a split-second positioning decision that got clinically punished, even though he apparently had a great game otherwise
    Because there is lots and lots of criticism of said obvious problem on multiple other threads already? If you have anything new to add please do but a thread about the match seems a pretty good place to talk about something that happened in that match, no?
  • Options
    I'm just saying, our fans (like many fans probably) like to scrutinise to the last degree anything involving a goal against us, without looking at the bigger picture of how well someone actually played - in a defender's case, how many clear chances they gave up, or how much unchallenged play they allowed in our third, or ball retention, or etc etc
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I don't think we can criticise a defender if a miscontrol catches him out. Maybe in the Premier League but I think Thomas, whilst not perfect has gone up a level and is not a problem for us.

I don't think we can really criticise Camara either. These things happen.
  • Options
    I don't think we can criticise a defender if a miscontrol catches him out. Maybe in the Premier League but I think Thomas, whilst not perfect has gone up a level and is not a problem for us.

It was quite a cute move and execution from them. We were getting so excited scoring these kind of goals against Welling and Wealdstone, but as usual fans forgot it's not so easy in the League!

Thomas probably just needed to remember to hold his position there, as will sometimes be the case when he is playing LB, LCB or CB. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023

A frustrating day but no reason to be negative at this stage.

We deserved a point and think promising signs to build on. If we have Leaburn or another with Alfie to hold up play and link up with Alfie and the midfield we will be a completely different prospect, I am sure.

The issue we have is that the squad still lacks the balance for how Holden wants to set up with players who he does not want or can’t fit the system. It’s been the same for several years with TS recruitment and different mangers coming in with different ideas.

Still hope we can get the players moved on and 3-4 new in I think will be good to go for a top 6 challenge.

• Options
    The trouble with our defence is it seems every game it is different players in different positions. Unless injured, DH should decide his best back three and stay with it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    The trouble with our defence is it seems every game it is different players in different positions. Unless injured, DH should decide his best back three and stay with it
    I would assume there are some fitness level issues and of course you do need to get players fit.
  • Options

I don't think miss control catches him out, as he goes after the miss control. I think Thomas has had a good start to the season, but for me that was totally Rookie, and classic case of ball watching.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Haven't we played the same back three in two league games Ross ? 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    ross1 said:
    Yes in both league games but different inbetween against Newport, I understand making changes in cup games but not when new players are getting know each other early season. He has not been able to settle pre-season because of fitness, if now fit, leave them, unless you bring in new better players

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Bailey said:
    ross1 said:
    Yes in both league games but different inbetween against Newport, I understand making changes in cup games but not when new players are getting know each other early season. He has not been able to settle pre-season because of fitness, if now fit, leave them, unless you bring in new better playross1 said:
    Bailey said:
    ross1 said:
    Yes in both league games but different inbetween against Newport, I understand making changes in cup games but not when new players are getting know each other early season. He has not been able to settle pre-season because of fitness, if now fit, leave them, unless you bring in new better players

Has that back three only conceded one goal in those games Ross ? I think the changes at Newport were to give players like Hector, game time. Got to say in just those two league games, the back three look pretty solid and seem to know their jobs when defending set pieces, unlike last season. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    ross1 said:
    Bailey said:
    ross1 said:
    Yes in both league games but different inbetween against Newport, I understand making changes in cup games but not when new players are getting know each other early season. He has not been able to settle pre-season because of fitness, if now fit, leave them, unless you bring in new better playross1 said:
    Bailey said:
    ross1 said:

Has that back three only conceded one goal in those games Ross ? I think the changes at Newport were to give players like Hector, game time. Got to say in just those two league games, the back three look pretty solid and seem to know their jobs when defending set pieces, unlike last season. 
    And yet after Saturday, many on here complain about defensive errors. Let us hope for new players and many wins, then we can ignore when defence make mistakes (as every other teams) and enjoy our success 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    ross1 said:
    Bailey said:
    ross1 said:
    Bailey said:
    ross1 said:
    Bailey said:
    ross1 said:

And yet after Saturday, many on here complain about defensive errors. Let us hope for new players and many wins, then we can ignore when defence make mistakes (as every other teams) and enjoy our success 
    Ross, they just complain about any old shit, it's their 'Raison D'etre. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Bailey said:
    Ok so why didn't Holden substitute him ?
    Let me find him on Instagram/Twitter and ask. Back soon!
    Try LinkedIn, I imagine he’ll be scouring that a bit more than the others…
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Why criticise the obvious problem (lack of forwards) when you can pile into a defender for a split-second positioning decision that got clinically punished, even though he apparently had a great game otherwise
    I really don’t like it when @leuth is correct, this is probably the second time that has happened…
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Leuth said:
    I really don’t like it when @leuth is correct, this is probably the second time that has happened…
    Third now!