Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Peterborough United Vs Charlton Athletic : Saturday 12th August 2023

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    At this level, defensive errors are pretty regular and frequent - this is nothing special to us in particular, but the way we play can and does cause those errors.

I feel the reason we have seemingly struggled more on this aspect is because so many of our games in recent memory have been tight and, as rightly pointed out elsewhere, stems from our lack of pressure up front. Teams know to pressure us on the ball in our defensive third and not give us time with the ball in those areas. When the out ball to Dobson (or anyone playing in that pivot-esque role) isn't available, we've had multiple defenders who revert to long, Hollywood balls over the top. With the lack of an option to play it shorter to a striker who can both control with his back to goal OR contest the ball in the air, the frequency of errors in our own half become more common.

This game was crying out for us to have another option up front alongside May. Feel sorry for the lad. Ironically, a player in the mould of Aneke is what we needed. Classical big number 10 with strength, a bit of height and sensible control and distribution. I know everyone else ragged on him, but I'll die on the hill that Stockton was available, could have done that job and was arguably one of the best I'd seen in the last couple of seasons at doing that against us, plus adding a goal threat. The need for someone to be brought in and hit the ground running in this role is essential for our season, even at this early stage. Holden knows this, but it's the first test of whether the new owners are going to react quick enough.

Really concerned that tomorrow night is going to be another dire night of May living off scraps again and it'll be a very tense 90mins.
  • Options
    I really dont know if the club want to bring in another striker.I think that could well be hoping that Leaburn and Aneke make their returns fairly soon,so the need to spend more money is not quite so urgent.I would personally invest any spare cash in a centre back whos main strength is to actually defend and command the area,(and organise)A young Jason Pearce,or a slightly more mobile Innis.Our centre backs seem happy with the ball but become a bit lost when the opposition have it.
  • Options
    th0rryy said:
    At this level, defensive errors are pretty regular and frequent - this is nothing special to us in particular, but the way we play can and does cause those errors.

I feel the reason we have seemingly struggled more on this aspect is because so many of our games in recent memory have been tight and, as rightly pointed out elsewhere, stems from our lack of pressure up front. Teams know to pressure us on the ball in our defensive third and not give us time with the ball in those areas. When the out ball to Dobson (or anyone playing in that pivot-esque role) isn't available, we've had multiple defenders who revert to long, Hollywood balls over the top. With the lack of an option to play it shorter to a striker who can both control with his back to goal OR contest the ball in the air, the frequency of errors in our own half become more common.

This game was crying out for us to have another option up front alongside May. Feel sorry for the lad. Ironically, a player in the mould of Aneke is what we needed. Classical big number 10 with strength, a bit of height and sensible control and distribution. I know everyone else ragged on him, but I'll die on the hill that Stockton was available, could have done that job and was arguably one of the best I'd seen in the last couple of seasons at doing that against us, plus adding a goal threat. The need for someone to be brought in and hit the ground running in this role is essential for our season, even at this early stage. Holden knows this, but it's the first test of whether the new owners are going to react quick enough.

Really concerned that tomorrow night is going to be another dire night of May living off scraps again and it'll be a very tense 90mins.
    It certainly puts more pressures on defences if they know that if they concede a goal they probably won't win the game. In the same way pressure at the end of the game occurs.