Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Peterborough United Vs Charlton Athletic : Saturday 12th August 2023

Comments

• Options
    Bailey said:
    BigDiddy said:
    shine166 said:
    Considering the lack of depth and still needing to add a few players to the squad, which we are all aware of, I thought we played well and deserved a point. Really don't understand the moaning today as if we got battered. 
    You miss the point. It's the nature of our defeats and the way the club is run.

Owners need to back the manager and give the club half a chance.

We should not be losing to Newport and losing 8 players to injury, only 3 games in.

The squad looks threadbare already.
    Big Diddy, your collective posts are being put forward for 'Rant of the Week' but the above is open to challenge.
                      How do you know how the club is run ? 
                     Two league games, one defeat, 10 changes for Newport, so what is 'nature of defeats' ? 
                     Wfhy shouldn't we be losing eight players to injury ? 
    Seriously? You think that’s like, Ok? On August 12th? . It’s ten by the way. Maybe down to nine by Tuesday.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Bailey said:
    BigDiddy said:
    shine166 said:
    Considering the lack of depth and still needing to add a few players to the squad, which we are all aware of, I thought we played well and deserved a point. Really don't understand the moaning today as if we got battered. 

We should not be losing to Newport and losing 8 players to injury, only 3 games in.

Big Diddy, your collective posts are being put forward for 'Rant of the Week' but the above is open to challenge.
                     Two league games, one defeat, 10 changes for Newport, so what is 'nature of defeats' ? 
    Seriously? You think that’s like, Ok? On August 12th? . It’s ten by the way. Maybe down to nine by Tuesday.
    The whole point of pre-season is to get the current squad fit and ready to start the season. 

For them to come out of it with 8 (then 10) injuries in August points to it being a complete failure. 
  • Options
    Are people stating that the ten injuries are down to the manager ?
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    No, I think the injuries are being discussed without any specific statements like you suggest.
  • Options
    When did anyone say that? 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Ok, it's worth looking at the injured players and possibly how and why they got injured. Leaburn got injured by a ridiculous challenge at Welling, Fraser got injured in the first game at home to Orient, Campbell got injured at Newport. Chin, DJ, Egbo, have not been in and around the first team picture and Taylor has only just returned from a serious injury that he sustained at his previous club, that leaves Elerewe and Chuks. I would suggest that only three or possibly four of those players mentioned would have been starting or on the bench. I don't think anyone can account for the dangerous challenge on Leaburn and Campbell is, allegedly, a two week out job. Mendonca has declared that Fraser was left on ten minutes too long to aggravate the injury, is that correct ? did Fraser think he could run it off ? and when did Holden refuse to substitute him ?
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Ok, it's worth looking at the injured players and possibly how and why they got injured. Leaburn got injured by a ridiculous challenge at Welling, Fraser got injured in the first game at home to Orient, Campbell got injured at Newport. Chin, DJ, Egbo, have not been in and around the first team picture and Taylor has only just returned from a serious injury that he sustained at his previous club, that leaves Elerewe and Chuks. I would suggest that only three or possibly four of those players mentioned would have been starting or on the bench. I don't think anyone can account for the dangerous challenge on Leaburn and Campbell is, allegedly, a two week out job. Mendonca has declared that Fraser was left on ten minutes too long to aggravate the injury, is that correct ? did Fraser think he could run it off ? and when did Holden refuse to substitute him ?
    As soon as Fraser went down he signalled to the bench that he needed replacing. Players aren’t physios , but they usually know their own bodies
  • Options
    Ok so why didn't Holden substitute him ?
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Because he has already made three lots of substitutions . Although you can make 5 subs in total , you can only stop play 3 times. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bailey said:
    Let me find him on Instagram/Twitter and ask. Back soon!
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    He wasn’t able to do so within the rules of the game. It was either Fraser played on or we finished the game with 10 men.

And we have no confirmation either way that him being out there for 10 extra minutes made it worse. That’s an assumption.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Because he has already made three lots of substitutions . Although you can make 5 subs in total , you can only stop play 3 times. 
    Yes and I thought Fraser injured himself in the injury time added on because I remember him going down on his haunches in front of the East stand. 
  • Options
    I seem to remember Fraser hitting a shot that rebounded to Camara, who then missed an open goal, that was in injury time. After hitting the shot Fraser came away limping and went down on his haunches in front of the east stand. What Mendonca is suggesting is that Holden should have realised that Fraser was injured and and taken him off in the 90 minutes, he got injured in injury time hence the reason why he wasn't substituted. 
  • Options
    Wasn’t the greatest game but positives were Dobson was excellent and I thought Camara looks very exciting. CBT looked very dangerous at times and Edun looks like he’ll be a good player for us. Negatives for me I wasn’t overly impressed with Jones if I’m honest, looks poor on the ball would rather see Hector playing, also severe lack of depth and the obvious lack of forward options. Hope to see a couple of quality loans come in. Give them a chance to improve the squad before writing off this team and ownership Peterborough will be up there no doubt.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    These 5 a sides in training can get quite competitive. Holdens Heros are top of the Sparrows Lane league atm
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    I seem to remember Fraser hitting a shot that rebounded to Camara, who then missed an open goal, that was in injury time. After hitting the shot Fraser came away limping and went down on his haunches in front of the east stand. What Mendonca is suggesting is that Holden should have realised that Fraser was injured and and taken him off in the 90 minutes, he got injured in injury time hence the reason why he wasn't substituted. 
    Thanks for drawing a conclusion on this. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He wasn’t able to do so within the rules of the game. It was either Fraser played on or we finished the game with 10 men.

And we have no confirmation either way that him being out there for 10 extra minutes made it worse. That’s an assumption.
    Yes, an assumption, but I'm yet to find an injured player who continues playing has helped his injury.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Yes, an assumption, but I'm yet to find an injured player who continues playing has helped his injury.
    End of thread, I dragged it on to long to prove a point, fact is, nobody knows the truth about how bad his injury was and I'm not even sure Fraser did, lets move on. 
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNaOquM_cBI 

Latest one up, the end has a few of my post match views for those interested.

quick summary is;

positives-

it's early doors, it was a close game, we played decent football just lacked a couple of players to make it work and some players really looked the part; Jones, Dobson, CBT, Camara & Asiimwe in particular. 

negatives-

we need signings and I am not sure if we are gonna get them, we don't capitalise on other teams mistakes as much as they do ours, gulf in quality; I reckon Peterborough had the better team overall & I am concerned about our lack of pace, only CBT looks dangerous on the break.  

• Options
    edited August 2023
    shine166 said:
    BigDiddy said:
    shine166 said:

So what was the nature of yesterday's defeat that causing panic ? We can continue to bang on about needing new players if you like, nobody has denied that fact.
    Whose panicking ? We have been in a state of dysfunction for years. Yesterday’s defeat [and the one the other night] highlights the fact that we are a very mediocre 3rd tier club.

The point of “banging on” about it is simple - maybe the people that own/run the club will listen?
    Gobby Methven spoke a good story on BBC London the other week - maybe he needs to do his job and listen to what fans think ? If not, then the Valley will grow ever emptier.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    BigDiddy said:
    Wellred said:
    I thought a fair result would have been a draw was it good enough No 
    I said it when Holden came in it will only be a matter of time until he goes on our manager roundabout & follows them out the door 
    I know some on here don't want to hear this but I don't think he's good enough to take us up hopefully he will prove me wrong 

We get the results we deserve. We are mid table, at best. 

Your point about Holden is interesting. The fans are still with him, because we can see how weak a squad he has. The issue will be if Methven blames him for any continued poor performances, or if the owners put some money in to improve the squad.

My hunch is they will not invest in quality, because they have had enough time to realise the current squad is too weak. Why wait until the end of the transfer window and then do some panic buys? What is the point of Andy Scott if he will not improve the squad? 

It would not surprise me if they scapegoat Holden later on this season because I honestly can't see this squad in the top 6.

There are better managers than Holden, but why would any come to our club?

Would think there is not a problem recruiting the right manager if the salary is attractive.
    This should have been done in the first place, who had heard of Holden before he came in? His appointment surely came from the new board now they need to support him, I was not in favour of him but I believe he has done well so far.
    Holden may be the right manager - who knows?

My point is that if he has limited backing and an unfit, novice squad [as he has], then he has been set up to fail. 

I am not saying the new owners intend  bad outcomes, but anyone looking at our squad 2 weeks into a new season will see that we are nowhere near promotion.

Why would a half decent manager come to us?

• Options
    Bailey said:
    BigDiddy said:
    shine166 said:

Why shouldn't we be losing eight players to injury ? 
    1) Players are unfit; squad is weak - fans are unsurprised 
    2) Newport? Come on, they were non league a short while back and i am not happy our 2nd team lost to them and the WAY they lost to them.
    3) Maybe our training/medical set up is poor why so many players are out?
    4) If you think 35% of the squad should be out after 3 games, then you and I will not agree.

All the above points to a club badly run. If you listened to Methven on BBC London, his ambitions are not matched by his actions.

Hopefully the club will become better run under this lot, but I am not anticipating anything better than mid table this season, based on actions and performances so far.

I will continue to rant until this club us run better.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    BigDiddy said:
    shine166 said:

The point is that we cannot compete with shite clubs after a few injuries or resting players.

I listened to the Newport commentary and were outplayed in the 2nd half - pathetic !

The kids may have potential, but that is no way to develop a promotion chasing squad in this division.

Our club cannot progress when it is run like this.

• Options
    Not sure what else people think Holden can do. It’s a physical, competitive league so going into the season with just Leaburn and two lightweight players in May and Kanu (let’s forgot Aneke)  as our only striking options carried huge risks we’d have no outlet play if Leaburn doesn’t play. 

Leaburn got injured on 1st July, over 6 weeks ago now. The club have actively chose not to fill that ‘role’ so we are hamstrung in how we play. As we have no viable an to that player. 

Away to physical teams like Peterborough in difficult, circling winds and not having a physical presence up front limits us incredibly. 

Cannot understand the strategy in why we are limiting ourselves in such a impacting way
    They haven’t / don’t want to spend, they want frees and loans. I can’t understand why spend £10M + and not want to invest in a team that can get you into the championship.
    It was said back in January ish that Friedman etc would not be splashing out on players. Now I can't remember if somebody was just guessing, whether it was part of the "Texan Document" or what but it was suggested that they would be looking mainly at frees & loans & it's beginning to look that way. Who knows what dream methven sold the multitude of investors but we do know he is now a minority shareholder for putting the group together plus his old mates are now getting a wage out of it all.

Leaburn out for 6 weeks so far with no replacement meaning we are an Alfie May injury away from having no fit senior striker at the club. Unbelievable that we are in this position 2 weeks into the new season
    Our subs bench is padded out with a couple of 18 year olds nowhere near ready to play senior football & a couple of hopelessly inadequate players who shouldn't be at the club.

New owners but the same old shit.

100% agree - its a total mess, but some of our fans still think we might make “top 6”