Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Peterborough United Vs Charlton Athletic : Saturday 12th August 2023

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    wmcf123 said:
    I think people need to lower their expectations - this is a mid table squad 
    ..Failure to Abject Failure...🙄
  • Options
    Just frustrating that this feels like another season which isn't going to be much better than the previous 3 in this league 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    I think people need to lower their expectations - this is a mid table squad 
    ..Failure to Abject Failure...🙄
    We were mid table last year 
  • Options
    Be interesting to see if Peterborough are in the mix for top 6 come the end of the season. It's being spoken about like it's a given but their own fans don't seem to think so
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Our season won’t depend on losing 1-0 to teams that will be in and about the top 6 at the end of the season. Yes we lost but that was a 50/50 game and we will strengthen I’m sure. Our seasons success or failure will depend on the amount of points we drop against teams we should beat
    Surely if our ambition is to get promoted we’ll need to win some matches against the top six
    too?
  • Options
    Asiimwe was the biggest positive today for me, I think he looks a really good player. Composed in possession, drove us forward many times especially in the first half and 1v1 defending he is excellent and barely ever beaten.

Overall the performance was pretty good. If Leaburn is on the pitch then we at least draw, but probably win that game. I expected a worse scoreline tbh so feel reasonably ok despite the defeat 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    11th in League one. Our home.
  • Options
    11th in League one. Our home.
    Top half baby!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    AndyG said:
    Our season won’t depend on losing 1-0 to teams that will be in and about the top 6 at the end of the season. Yes we lost but that was a 50/50 game and we will strengthen I’m sure. Our seasons success or failure will depend on the amount of points we drop against teams we should beat
    Surely if our ambition is to get promoted we’ll need to win some matches against the top six
    too?
    Yes of course and I’m sure we will my point was I think some people are over reacting to a close 1-0 defeat to a club that is always there or thereabouts. Today could easily been 1-0 to us it was a very close game and we had nowhere near what I’m sure our starting lineup will be in a few weeks time
  • Options
    Long live the red trouser revolution!
  • Options
    Sadly, we are not good enough. Squad lacks quality and depth.

Holden needs the club to back him NOW with some decent signings, otherwise we we have another poor season.

No chance of going up with the current squad.

• Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    supaclive said:
    May is lively but he needs service 
    Dobson is quality but he can't do it all himself
    Payne, and Kirk.  If they were just squad players we'd be ok.  But they aren't.   We need better.   Our attacking options are very poor.

Defensively we're average.  Therefore we need to improve that but going forward we simply have no invention. 

Nobody to play between the lines.   Nobody to do something different, something creative. 

Taylor will improve set pieces.  Leaburn will help the attacking line but if we rely on Fraser and CBT for impetus, we simply won't have enough.

JCH did fuck all today yet still hit the post.  Their 22 was different gravy.  We are behind Peterborough.  By quite away.  

At the end of the transfer window we MAY start to catch up but we'll be a couple of months off them.

Let alone Pompey, Bolton, Barnsley.

We've had the same issues for a long time.   I don't want to hear the transfer window goes to end of August etc.   We want out of this division now.   I fear that isn't going to happen.

Our patterns of play are too rigid.  Too obvious.

Better than last year?  Most likely.  Not good enough for promotion?  Even more likely.
    No way are we miles behind Posh! There was nothing in it today!
    But we still lost.

We never seem to be able to turn a game around - why is that?

• Options
    LouisMend said:
    Dean says that “ one or two from today might not make it for Tuesday” . So that makes 10. TEN! Going into the third game of the season. Dean did hint that one might be back on Tuesday that he didn’t want to tip off Rovers about, but that’s still 10. 

It was all Curbs and Brownie could talk about post-match. Jeez, it depresses me more than the performances. 

And every season for a while now it’s been like this. There’s not a quick fix but we need to be asking the new ownership if they have a plan. Methven had plenty to say about it off the record, well sod that, give us some indication there’s an upgrade in progress. 

Camara is a class act, and his mistake was doubly gutting because for me he was our best player in the first half until that moment. Now we see it was his first 90 ( or rather 102) for 18 months. Will he make another 90 on Tuesday?

What comes from signing people like Taylor who hasn’t had a proper pre season and gets injured again. 
  • Options
    Leaburn in that team would make a massive difference but even so the lack of depth is painful. Posh were ordinary; so were we.
    Agree, but we need options when key players are injured.

We have no such luxury and that is why we might suffer another poor season. New owners need to support Holden and invest now.

Not over-reacting, because it makes no difference if fans complain. 
  • Options
    DH has gone on record saying he wanted to trim the squad down to a more manageable number. I wonder if now he has witnessed our injury curse he has changed his mind
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As most people said, it obvious what’s needed, 2-3 weeks of the window left,
    don’t think we’re far away from being a fairly good team, providing we do the business in the window, not gonna get to disappointed. 
    YET
  • Options
    Hope the owners have a Whatsapp group so they can agree and move quickly in the transfer market.
  • Options
    AndyHolG said:
    se9addick said:
    AndyG said:
    too?
    Yes of course and I’m sure we will my point was I think some people are over reacting to a close 1-0 defeat to a club that is always there or thereabouts. Today could easily been 1-0 to us it was a very close game and we had nowhere near what I’m sure our starting lineup will be in a few weeks time
    According to Holden, Fraser is out for 3/4 weeks, Campbell too. No sign of Leaburn or Aneke.  etc etc with the other injured.
    So in 'a few weeks' we will be where we are now unless new, actually match fit,  players are brought in.

I am not holding my breath.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    se9addick said:
    AndyG said:
    too?
    But people were over reacting the other way a week ago to a close 1-0 victory over a newly promoted side, one who lost 4-0 at home to Pompey today which puts that result in better perspective...