Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Peterborough United Vs Charlton Athletic : Saturday 12th August 2023

Comments

• Options
    TEL said:
    I actually gave up and went to bed after 30 minutes. Same old shite, predictable even though we have a handful of different players. That's the first time I've given up.
    You’re just pissed off Australia won 😄
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Alfie needs support, everyone knows this.

Game 2 of 46, breathe.
  • Options
    Not sure why people are so down on our defence. Didn’t give Orient much last week and today against Peterborough with some of the best attacking players in the league we didn’t really give up many chances. Set pieces was pretty much all they had for most of the game (why did we keep letting them play short corners?!), they had chances at the end but that was the only time we looked open and that was because we were chucking players forward to try and get an equaliser 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Not sure why people are so down on our defence. Didn’t give Orient much last week and today against Peterborough with some of the best attacking players in the league we didn’t really give up many chances. Set pieces was pretty much all they had for most of the game (why did we keep letting them play short corners?!), they had chances at the end but that was the only time we looked open and that was because we were chucking players forward to try and get an equaliser 
    Our fans hate defenders. Dunno why, but they do. Always the first to be scapegoated 
  • Options
    I was watching on iPad in car whilst watching my eldest play cricket , reception wasn’t great so the feed was a bit intermittent but did I really see a last minute of added time , keeper up , free kick just get floated straight out of play by Edun ?
    The masters of the anti climax 
  • Options
    I thought a fair result would have been a draw was it good enough No 
    I said it when Holden came in it will only be a matter of time until he goes on our manager roundabout & follows them out the door 
    I know some on here don't want to hear this but I don't think he's good enough to take us up hopefully he will prove me wrong 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wellred said:
    I said it when Holden came in it will only be a matter of time until he goes on our manager roundabout & follows them out the door 
    I know some on here don't want to hear this but I don't think he's good enough to take us up hopefully he will prove me wrong 

Still too early to properly judge him. He still doesn’t actually have the players to play the way he wants too. That’s not his fault 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Wellred said:

Still too early to properly judge him. He still doesn’t actually have the players to play the way he wants too. That’s not his fault 
    IMO like I said it's only a matter of time the signs are there instead of addressing the issues he comes out with excuses 
    & I do hope he does prove me wrong but a good manager would get more out these players then he does 

• Options
    I'll reserve judgement until after 10 games but yes we need reinforcements, yes it could be better but genuinely dont think we are far away from being competitive. 

Keep the faith people.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    DH has gone on record saying he wanted to trim the squad down to a more manageable number. I wonder if now he has witnessed our injury curse he has changed his mind
    In other words Charlie and gang told him to offload.
  • Options
    Oh FFS. Let's change the manager, again, keep throwing the dice. We change owners faster than most clubs change managers. Do you really think he is out there? 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Leaburn got injured against Welling about 6 weeks ago. 
    How fucking long should it take to bring In a replacement. 
    Pisses me off that we are so late every transfer window to do the basics.
    The view on here at the time was that once the real state of Leaburns injury was known (The monday / tuesday after the Welling game) then the club went back in for May & got the deal done - he signed at the end of that week.

It would not surprise me that if Leaburn had not been injured Alfie May would not be here now & we would still be playing hardball with Cheltenham....like (as we've been told by the same posters) the situation with Nombe (and others I assume).

Strikerwise we have the replacement for Leaburn. Dont be expecting anything more than a loanee / freebie close to deadline day. 

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    As I just said on the match the other thread, we could easily have nicked a draw, and there'd be much more positivity if we had. A big 'if' I know.

Positives for me were;

AMB who looked very good today. Decent distribution as well.
    Ness. Much better performance. Great tackle at the end.
    Dobbo, extremely good today. He's some player, not just a tackler.
    Corey. Again our biggest threat. Could have had a goal and/or an assist today.
    The brothers, Asiimwe and Anderson. Great performances bearing in mind their ages.
    Edun, again looked good apart from the final free kick.
    Camara, decent performance, barring the howler.
    Payne. Good game by him. Always worked hard.

One of the negatives were the corners. Posh played those short ones very well, but we lacked the confidence to try that for some reason.

We clearly need more quality. A target man for May to work around is key. 

[And @seth plum, your players marks were a bit mental mate].
    Leave Seth alone James 😒
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    The young players are a credit to our academy and our club. Highlights were AMB had some fantastic saves, Ness an amazing defensive tackle at the end, Anderson busy in midfield and Asimwee had another excellent performance hugging the touchline. Considering Posh are rated, the youngsters did not look out of place at all. 
    Cory worked harder on his defense game too I noticed. Lots of positives, just need the obvious gaps filled with some more quality.
    If this happens I really think we have a chance of top 6.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Result aside, that charters bar is a great place for a beer. 
    Yes it was blinding yesterday.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/w12EPmWrGRw

Highlights from yesterday 5min 40 onwards 
  • Options
    Promotion isn't decided in the second week of the season and for me the youngsters coming in and being a success have solved a few issues. Until the mistake by Camara, the defence didn't look like being breached, they look so much better when defending set piece situations, I don't think anyone on here would drop Ness, Jones or or Thomas. The midfield dominated yesterday and that was the Posh commentary teams assumption not mine, I looked at the player marks on here and most gave that midfield a good mark, and that was from people who were there or had a feed to watch. Payne had a good game but is not an out and out forward to go alongside May, and against Orient we played Campbell in that position and probably would have done so yesterday if he was fit, that is the position that needs filling with some quality, if the owners achieve that then you can assess the team, patience until the end of August is needed. 
  • Options
    I must admit, I don't like aspects of the way we play from the back. It is early days but we are a bit slow. We also have to smell danger better and if required boot the ball upfield when the press looks like it could cause us problems. That is down to the players and experience playing that way to know when to give up on it.

Some take aways from yesterday. Anderson was ok, but he will improve and a few games could speed that up. Asiimwe looked more than decent. It was a mistake by Camara but looked more unlucky on the replay. If CBT gets injured we are in massive trouble offensively. Dobbo looks better than ever. Payne is a better option than Kirk and I think we need to keep him but he does lack that final bit of quality and his role should be to bring energy from the bench. A better option but not the solution. Because we lack goals, the next couple of games are going to be tight, irrespective of the opposition. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Wellred said:
    NabySarr said:
    Wellred said:

IMO like I said it's only a matter of time the signs are there instead of addressing the issues he comes out with excuses 
    & I do hope he does prove me wrong but a good manager would get more out these players then he does 

An alternative view is that a change of manager might get a worse tune out of them. I thought we looked the most likely to score in the second half yesterday, but at the same time only CBT and Dobbo stood out as being as good as or better than what Posh had on the pitch. 
  • Options
    Was at the game 

IF we had sorted our front line i.e. a proper partner for May, we would have won this match - end of - we kept the ball well, were in control - yep, cock up for their goal, but this is Div 3, the standard of players will always produce errors - so frustrating 
    Serious question how many cock ups did Peterborough make?
  • Options
    CBT's self made chances looked our only real attempts to equalise.