Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Peterborough United Vs Charlton Athletic : Saturday 12th August 2023

Comments

• Options
    BigDiddy said:
    cafc_se7 said:
    supaclive said:
    May is lively but he needs service 
    Dobson is quality but he can't do it all himself
    Payne, and Kirk.  If they were just squad players we'd be ok.  But they aren't.   We need better.   Our attacking options are very poor.

Defensively we're average.  Therefore we need to improve that but going forward we simply have no invention. 

Nobody to play between the lines.   Nobody to do something different, something creative. 

Taylor will improve set pieces.  Leaburn will help the attacking line but if we rely on Fraser and CBT for impetus, we simply won't have enough.

JCH did fuck all today yet still hit the post.  Their 22 was different gravy.  We are behind Peterborough.  By quite away.  

At the end of the transfer window we MAY start to catch up but we'll be a couple of months off them.

Let alone Pompey, Bolton, Barnsley.

We've had the same issues for a long time.   I don't want to hear the transfer window goes to end of August etc.   We want out of this division now.   I fear that isn't going to happen.

Our patterns of play are too rigid.  Too obvious.

Better than last year?  Most likely.  Not good enough for promotion?  Even more likely.
    No way are we miles behind Posh! There was nothing in it today!
    But we still lost.

We never seem to be able to turn a game around - why is that?

1 win from going behind first in 47 games tells a story. I'd love to see that stat compared to other clubs. Is ours similar or woeful?

I wonder how that stat stacks up against the top 6 clubs each season. If we can't fight back we can't gain promotion. In addition as Curbs keeps saying over and over, if you take goals out of the team, then you have to replace them.

Rak Sakyi was a lucky loan, without which, last season could have been very different. We need a striker, known or unknown who is going to get 15+ goals, and that's to achieve mid-table.

For a top end finish we realistically need 2,3,4 players achieving that to be in the higher promotion places. Too much is said about the loss of Leaburn, but I genuinely don't think that he is the answer. The pressure and niggling injuries for a big young lad is potentially likely to take it's toll.

As was being said before last season ended, we need to sign goalscorers, who can combine to score 2 a game average, to balance out our defence, who always seem to GIVE a goal away.

Excellent post.

I said 2 months ago that we would struggle if we didnt replace JRS. I appreciate that it would he hard to replace a winger who was 2nd highest goal scorer but thems the breaks. Not only have we not replaced him we have not strengthed enough up front or sorted out our defensive frailties. Admittedly we have brought in a couple of exciting players in Edun & Camara and a striker who is mobile & should score goals, if given the service......but the lack of service could be our biggest downfall. 

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Wellred said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Wellred said:
    NabySarr said:
    Wellred said:
    I thought a fair result would have been a draw was it good enough No 
    I said it when Holden came in it will only be a matter of time until he goes on our manager roundabout & follows them out the door 
    I know some on here don't want to hear this but I don't think he's good enough to take us up hopefully he will prove me wrong 

Still too early to properly judge him. He still doesn’t actually have the players to play the way he wants too. That’s not his fault 
    IMO like I said it's only a matter of time the signs are there instead of addressing the issues he comes out with excuses 
    & I do hope he does prove me wrong but a good manager would get more out these players then he does 

An alternative view is that a change of manager might get a worse tune out of them. I thought we looked the most likely to score in the second half yesterday, but at the same time only CBT and Dobbo stood out as being as good as or better than what Posh had on the pitch. 
    Just depends on how good a manager is 
    We finished the season with the same defence problems as when he come in 
    Everyone could see it he had more than enough time to work on it 
    OK I know our players are not world beaters but to allow them to keep making the same mistakes over & over again in my eyes not good management 
    But it's still early into this season let's see how he improves our play like others have said this is div 3 we should have More then enough in this team to at least make the playoffs 
    Well at least we’ve only conceded one goal so far this season, and the defence has played quite well. 
    I doubt we’ll see that sort of mistake from Camara very often. He feels like an upgrade what we had from last season. 
    I think we’ve got a decent platform to build on, but it’s essential be bring in two or three more quality signings if we want to trouble the play off places. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Top six is about going on runs and if we are mid table at the end of August it wouldn't be a disaster in that respect if we do some good business before the window closes. But it is natural to be concerened until that happens. I am still optimistic and positive, but have always maintained, the proof of the pudding is always in the eating and am still waiting for that delicious one I feel I have been promised!

I knew the best I would get from Sandgaard was half a biscuit, but our new owners have suggested they will serve up better and still have time to do so. I appreciate it isn't easy but it never is.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    thenewbie said:
    Frustrating performance because I can see genuine seeds of quality in there. A good partner for May, remove the stupid mistakes, even a week or two more to get fitness up and this team could be pretty good.

There's some very obvious weaknesses still and the depth isn't there for a whole season but we're very close to a good thing, but not close enough yet.
    Don’t you come on here suggesting there’s green shoots of recovery, I’ve just sharpened my pitchfork and the torch is ready to set light to. Just need to know where we are all meeting up 😉.
    Bexleyheath,so I hear.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I would like to apologize to everyone @CAFCofficial today for my mistake that spoiled the boys' performance 🙌🏿🤲🏿

Camara after yesterday game  
    Watching the highlights I wouldn't blame Camara for our goal. He didn't "give the ball away" he mainly mis-controlled a bouncing ball. It happens 10/20/30 times a game. Its not as if he did a Stevie Gerrard. 
    Yes, I think looking at it again, you could blame him to an extent for not controlling it or given the time in the game just put his foot through it but it could happen to a lot of players and indeed is not uncommon and part of the problem is what the Posh player did when he got it, making a great pass.
  • Options
    Not sure what else people think Holden can do. It’s a physical, competitive league so going into the season with just Leaburn and two lightweight players in May and Kanu (let’s forgot Aneke)  as our only striking options carried huge risks we’d have no outlet play if Leaburn doesn’t play. 

Leaburn got injured on 1st July, over 6 weeks ago now. The club have actively chose not to fill that ‘role’ so we are hamstrung in how we play. As we have no viable an to that player. 

Away to physical teams like Peterborough in difficult, circling winds and not having a physical presence up front limits us incredibly. 

Cannot understand the strategy in why we are limiting ourselves in such a impacting way
    They haven’t / don’t want to spend, they want frees and loans. I can’t understand why spend £10M + and not want to invest in a team that can get you into the championship.
  • Options
    Bartram said:
    Not sure what else people think Holden can do. It’s a physical, competitive league so going into the season with just Leaburn and two lightweight players in May and Kanu (let’s forgot Aneke)  as our only striking options carried huge risks we’d have no outlet play if Leaburn doesn’t play. 

Leaburn got injured on 1st July, over 6 weeks ago now. The club have actively chose not to fill that ‘role’ so we are hamstrung in how we play. As we have no viable an to that player. 

Away to physical teams like Peterborough in difficult, circling winds and not having a physical presence up front limits us incredibly. 

Cannot understand the strategy in why we are limiting ourselves in such a impacting way
    It is called money and not spending it.
  • Options
    Some observations:
    Our set pieces were awful. If we can't score from open play these are a good opportunity and in every case we posed little threat including the joke free kick at the end. 

We need to cut out the defensive errors if we are to get promotion as they make the difference in tight games like this one.

It's a concern when your CDM is your best player and you lose the game.

Onwards and upwards...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    NabySarr said:

They haven’t / don’t want to spend, they want frees and loans. I can’t understand why spend £10M + and not want to invest in a team that can get you into the championship.
    We’ve paid fees for 3 players already this summer as well as bidding for Nombe so not sure how you’ve come to that conclusion 
    No one knows what they spent. Clearly, anything they have spent to date is not enough. We still have poor quality like Kirk/DJ who take up squad space and who are a liability. Aneke is clearly unable to do any kind of run in the team and he needs to go.

A pathetic defeat at Newport and a lame loss at the Posh is hardly inspiring. Also, the injury list is growing, so its all looking a bit worrying, after only 3 games.

NOW is the time to do business and not in January when it will probably be too late to make a difference.

Also, I ask again, what is the point of Andy Scott?

If they want to fill the Valley again, they will need to spend a lot more, as the faithful has seen too much bullshit over the years. I'm not buying it, based on what I have seen so far.

• Options
    LouisMend said:
    The club is seriously underestimating the need to strengthen the medical staff, physios, sports scientists and any other employees in charge of avoiding player injuries and helping them recover properly so they don't relapse.

It's infuriating to see injury after injury undoing gains in recruitment and training that have taken weeks and months to achieve.
  • Options
    Was at the game.

No lack of effort and can't say we were bad, we just weren't good enough.

First half the two sides cancelled each other out until Camara lost the ball and they punished us.

Lots of huff and some puff from us after but didn't have the cutting edge or luck to equalise.

We all know we're short as a squad, in height and numbers, but take out the five or six currently injured players and no wonder we can't create.

Haven't seen the two bookings from the first half but both looked like red cards from the away end.

Strange weather as went from rain to bright sunshine and back again a few times.

Nice drink in the Fletton Ex-servicemens Club pre-match (where @AFKABartram the locals were playing crib) but train cancellations on way home were a pain after the defeat.

MOTM Dobson. Tried to keep driving the team forward 

Sums it up well, Henners. If you are refering to the bookings I think, if the Peterborough one had been given, Jones's "tackle" would not have happened, of course. Nice to say hello anyway mate.   
    Agree

And good to see you too

Hope the music was good
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    The club is seriously underestimating the need to strengthen the medical staff, physios, sports scientists and any other employees in charge of avoiding player injuries and helping them recover properly so they don't relapse.

It's infuriating to see injury after injury undoing gains in recruitment and training that have taken weeks and months to achieve.
    The club is badly run.

The new owners will soon find out that Methven's gobby drivel will not be enough to appease fans who are fed up with underperformance.

Its been this bad for years and I see no change unless the club ownership truly commit to invest.
  • Options
    Some observations:
    Our set pieces were awful. If we can't score from open play these are a good opportunity and in every case we posed little threat including the joke free kick at the end. 

We need to cut out the defensive errors if we are to get promotion as they make the difference in tight games like this one.

It's a concern when your CDM is your best player and you lose the game.

Onwards and upwards…
    We will NOT get promotion with this squad.
  • Options
    Considering the lack of depth and still needing to add a few players to the squad, which we are all aware of, I thought we played well and deserved a point. Really don't understand the moaning today as if we got battered. 
  • Options
    I keep reading that Posh have good attacking players, let us see how good our defence is against Bolton and Barnsley. Barnsley only managed one against Bristol Rovers so how many will we score against them?
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Considering the lack of depth and still needing to add a few players to the squad, which we are all aware of, I thought we played well and deserved a point. Really don't understand the moaning today as if we got battered. 
    You miss the point. It's the nature of our defeats and the way the club is run.

Owners need to back the manager and give the club half a chance.

We should not be losing to Newport and losing 8 players to injury, only 3 games in.

The squad looks threadbare already.
  • Options
    Tyreece might be out for 2, 3 or 4 weeks. Come on, we are returning to vague and hazy updates about injuries. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BigDiddy said:
    shine166 said:

We should not be losing to Newport and losing 8 players to injury, only 3 games in.

So what was the nature of yesterday's defeat that causing panic ? We can continue to bang on about needing new players if you like, nobody has denied that fact.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Wellred said:
    I thought a fair result would have been a draw was it good enough No 
    I said it when Holden came in it will only be a matter of time until he goes on our manager roundabout & follows them out the door 
    I know some on here don't want to hear this but I don't think he's good enough to take us up hopefully he will prove me wrong 

We get the results we deserve. We are mid table, at best. 

Your point about Holden is interesting. The fans are still with him, because we can see how weak a squad he has. The issue will be if Methven blames him for any continued poor performances, or if the owners put some money in to improve the squad.

My hunch is they will not invest in quality, because they have had enough time to realise the current squad is too weak. Why wait until the end of the transfer window and then do some panic buys? What is the point of Andy Scott if he will not improve the squad? 

It would not surprise me if they scapegoat Holden later on this season because I honestly can't see this squad in the top 6.

There are better managers than Holden, but why would any come to our club?

Would think there is not a problem recruiting the right manager if the salary is attractive.
    This should have been done in the first place, who had heard of Holden before he came in? His appointment surely came from the new board now they need to support him, I was not in favour of him but I believe he has done well so far.
  • Options
    My advice to Holden, and I rate and support him, is not to become defensive in his comments. Things are what they are. Of course he can't divulge transfer activity but don't underplay injuries. I'd rather hear he could be out for a while or up to six weeks but hope he is back sooner than 2, 3, 4 weeks and Fraser longer which feels defensive and doesn't tell us much.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    shine166 said:

Big Diddy, your collective posts are being put forward for 'Rant of the Week' but the above is open to challenge.
                      How do you know how the club is run ? 
                     Two league games, one defeat, 10 changes for Newport, so what is 'nature of defeats' ? 
                     Why shouldn't we be losing eight players to injury ? 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    1- nil is all it takes. Where are our goals going to come from ? Alfie May isn't getting the support he needs, CBT can't hit the target from 12 yards, who else is there ? Yes we are all aware that we need to add players to the squad but if & when they arrive will they be to the standard required for a minimum top 6 finish.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    1- nil is all it takes. Where are our goals going to come from ? Alfie May isn't getting the support he needs, CBT can't hit the target from 12 yards, who else is there ? Yes we are all aware that we need to add players to the squad but if & when they arrive will they be to the standard required for a minimum top 6 finish.
    Will they be fit to play or will they be 8 to 12 weeks away from match fitness as we have seen in the recent past seasons.
  • Options
    My advice to Holden, and I rate and support him, is not to become defensive in his comments. Things are what they are. Of course he can't divulge transfer activity but don't underplay injuries. I'd rather hear he could be out for a while or up to six weeks but hope he is back sooner than 2, 3, 4 weeks and Fraser longer which feels defensive and doesn't tell us much.
    They're avoiding a topic being brought up......them deciding to keep Fraser on for 10 minutes playing while injured, in the first game of the season, while using all of your substitutes. 

A decision was made and Fraser will be out for approx 8-12 weeks it seems.